• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris_C

The weird thing is, if you try Tumble the Move tracking is borderline perfect. Someone said I might have got lucky with it, but I've played it three times and the quality of the tracking was reminiscent of the Vive on that one. Hopefully developers can get the hang of it, as I don't get why it would track so well for one game and so bad for another.

It's not unusual that tracking in Tumble is more accurate. You're closer to the camera and are much less likely to turn around enough that the Move controllers are occluded. That said, it does feel as though the the moves are being samples at a lower refresh rate in Batman than in other titles. This is just conjecture of course.

Last night I turned most of my lights off and got the tracking close to perfect in Batman. It was a fantastic experience, but even then the in-game hands have a strange motion blur effect, which coupled with the jitter means that the hands never look as convincing and they do in say Wayward Sky or Ace Banana.

I hate the fact that I feel the same way. Mentally I want to play Mafia 3, but emotionally if it's not VR I don't want to play it right now.

Anybody else feel like this right now?

That's exactly how I feel. I can't get myself to play Mafia 3 or Battlefield 1. I'm going to try though, but VR feels so good!

I got my PSVR during work today, and got it set up a couple hours ago.

So far I've tried four games:

Rez Infinite - First thing I booted up after getting it hooked together, and it's really just fantastic. Good game to check out the PSVR screens with too; overall the image reminds me a lot of the Vive. Good colors and brightness. Lack of lens artifacts is appreciated here. Only played through the first two stages. Head aiming makes this even more enjoyable in my opinion. Going to savor this one.

Battlezone - Spent only a few minutes in this one. I just wanted to see how it looked and felt mostly. Wasn't bothered by the movement in this one at all. Resolution of the screen hurts a bit here but overall is a decent looking title. Really interested to find a few other people and jump in here co-op.

Thumper - This game is really gorgeous in VR. If you already have a PC VR headset and are thinking you aren't going to get a PSVR, make sure you get this game when it shows up on Steam. First level was pretty easy but I can tell from the thread that it gets crazy. As expected this and Rez are my early favorites.

Batman VR - Tried to do this standing and the tracking sucks balls so far. Both on the Move and the headset. Visually the game looks pretty nice and I might continue on with this seated, but the standing experience leaves a little too much to be desired. Shut it off for now to spare my senses the disorientation.

Batman was my first run with the Move controllers and the best way I can describe their performance is that in the moments when they are working right, they're kind of like Vive controllers stuck in reprojection. Have a feeling I am going to be leaning towards seated / DS4 based VR games for PSVR. If you own a Rift or a Vive and are already keeping your expectations low in this aspect going into PSVR, I'd probably lower them a little further still.

That said, the DS4 based games were all pretty slick and the headset itself when I was parked in my office chair was behaving just fine. Pretty comfortable as others have mentioned, though there is a lot of light bleed on the bottom (way more than with the Rift) that makes you wish you could pull the scope in even further.

I've only tried seated. Seems kind of pointless to stand when walking around and such as no purpose with PSVR. And if the camera does an easier job maintaining center position and tracking while you are seated, even more reason than to stay seated.

btrboyev

Well sad news for me, the contact between my glasses and the PSVR lens last night that scratched my glasses, also scratched the PSVR lens. As unlikely as that sounds, the scratch is in the exact same position as it is on my glasses. And yes, it is totally visible when playing. Since there's no way I'm going to just try to ignore a blurry spot in every game from here on out, I'm returning the bundle to Amazon, which kinda sucks since there aren't more bundles to exchange for and I just have to get a refund. What a disappointing pain in the ass.

If you wear glasses - DO NOT bring the PSVR too close to your face!

Are you positive it's a scratch? After reading your post here I checked mine and it looked like I had two big scratch marks on mine as I know my lenses have accidentally touched the VR lenses. Upon further inspection, I don't think I have scratches, it's just the way the light reflects on the middle of the lenses. I used my finger to feel for anything physical and I didn't feel anything.

Juice

Is RIGS population super duper low? Last three nights my brother and I have played the same two or three people every damn match

Same here. I was wondering if perhaps the camera is just cheap and the sensors aren't mounted straight on some of them. Or maybe it is just the left lens (as you look at the camera) that does the tracking?

I should have been clearer, I was referring to the left camera lens on the camera as you face it as it is my understanding the left lens is the lens that tracks the headset/move.
Either way I have to keep the camera off to the right of my self slightly so I have a centered in-cockpit/In-vr view.
I have both the original ps4 camera and the new one. Same behavior with both, a little better on the old camera.

Nick

Well it was bound to happen, but I finally found a game that gives me extreme motion sickness. I played Battlezone for 15-20 minutes, and really enjoyed it, until I took off the headset. That was at 4:00 PM today, and I still feel like crap. Ugh, I really liked that game, too.

Kurdel

Banned
I hate the fact that I feel the same way. Mentally I want to play Mafia 3, but emotionally if it's not VR I don't want to play it right now.

Anybody else feel like this right now?

Yeah, same here.

I have a sinking feeling I will end up buying most of the launch lineup.

Dante

This thing really is a new way to play...doesn't feel like it's going anywhere. After 3 days now, VR just feels like another genre. If they can clear up the image quality soon, (hopefully somewhat with Pro) I would game even more in VR. Thumper so far is amazing and I'm just playing the demo over and over.

Has this been confirmed at all? Seen a bunch of people mention it. Just curious.

I tried demos before even PSVR but nothing is like having your own unit.

My god I am blown away. This medium is where I want gaming to go. I invested in gen1 for that very purpose.

Guys this shit is legit, People that say "feels like Mario 64" are absolutely correct. I'm 34 and I don't get those feelings much anymore but VR does that. It's truly amazing.

Thank you Sony!

Chris_C

Has this been confirmed at all? Seen a bunch of people mention it. Just curious.

PS4 Pro will, in supported games, increase the pixel density of the image. Both The Assembly and Farpoint have been confirmed to support this. There may be other benefits, but PSVR and Pro enhancements are still not very well defined.

Wowowow Spotify + VR is the best combination ever.

Super Stardust Ultra VR + Retrowave playlist = <3

Driveclub VR + EDM Playlist = (Intense) <3

Darknight

VEV

:)

At this point I'm hoping more folks trickle down to it as they wade through the big name experiences. (Lots of NeoGAF references, and I want to populate those leaderboards). It's in the "VR mode included" section, but really, it was made for VR

Is this a full VR game or a "small taste" of the full game in VR?

If I get PSVR, ill buy this but it has to be like a game, you know?

PS: Im still a bit salty with you m0dus because you didnt get Sony to give you the rights to the amazing PS2 OS Dynamic theme that you made in house :( I want it real bad!! :T_T

SuperPoncho

Neo Member
I tried demos before even PSVR but nothing is like having your own unit.

My god I am blown away. This medium is where I want gaming to go. I invested in gen1 for that very purpose.

Guys this shit is legit, People that say "feels like Mario 64" are absolutely correct. I'm 34 and I don't get those feelings much anymore but VR does that. It's truly amazing.

Thank you Sony!

Totally this...just tried Alumette and was awestruck...

Kurdel

Banned
2D games look fucking in the VR cinema mode.

I can't wait to try plugging stuff in it tomorrow to see what works good. I am thinking about trying to airplay comics to my Apple TV and see what that looks like.

Also can't wait to try the Wii U and virtual console games.

border

I just watched couple videos in the Within demo.

Please tell me this is not how full-motion video is going to look in PSVR. It's like YouTube blown up to an IMAX screen.

Shancake

Give it time and don't sweat it. We have 4 PSVRs here, and the PB's have a habit of staying white for a while after shutting things down - in part because the cooling fan continues running after it's shut down to prevent the components from sustaining thermal damage. Much in the same way a projectors cooling fan runs after you've shut it down to preven the bulb from overheating and cracking. :)

I've had my VR unit for 9 days now and it has never gone red. Even when I unplug it from AC and plug it back in it still goes back to white. It's starting to get incredibly hot :(

bumpkin

Did anyone ever figure out the issue for the processing box staying on? Still can't get mine to go red.
I put my PS4 into rest mode from within the headset and my system and VU both went to sleep after. Not sure if that's how you're doing it or not.

AmyS

Well just played through all of Rez and after doing the advanced calibration (eye distance and light tracking) it was flawless. No signal drops either (dunno if that was the issue).

I will say, if you ever want to know how it feels to be an actual Final Fantasy character or Phantasy Star 2 during the last boss, play Rez Area X final boss.

Phantasy+Star+II_Mother+Brain.gif

This just sold me on Rez.

Yea some games (farpoint) are already confirmed to have double the resolution in VR and should produce a much cleaner image. Game by game basis but yeah PS4P will definitely be the best way to use PSVR.

Shancake

I put my PS4 into rest mode from within the headset and my system and VU both went to sleep after. Not sure if that's how you're doing it or not.

Yeah, I've tried everything. There are other people with the issue. It's unclear whether it's a hardware of firmware issue.

Cynn

My PSVR will randomly blink to a black screen and back again while playing. Anyone else have this happen time to time? Trying to figure out if it's my setup or I need to exchange it.

I can afford it but probably gonna wait till mid 2017 when there's enough games. I have a PS4 so choosing this over Vive and Oculus rift for obvious reasons.

PrinceKee

I was turning off the headset and then putting my PS4 in rest mode and the processor box was staying white. The only time it turned completely off is when I moved my PS4 into another room and and left VR processor box behind. I'll try just putting my PS4 in rest without turning off my headset...

I will say VR is really putting my fans into overdrive on my already loud PS4. I can't wait until PS4 Pro to get rid of this thing...

njs15

Is SuperHyperCube too hard? I say this not just because I've yet to get to level 3, but because the person that's No. 1 on the world leaderboard has only made it to level 8, and the person in second place is very far behind on level 7.

According to the trophy stats there's not a single person who has competed levels 8, 9 or 10. It might be an impossible platinum.

(To be clear, I like the game, but damn.)

I think I'm starting to get my 'VR legs'. First time I played Rigs I barfed within a couple of minutes. Managed to get through a whole game today and felt fine.

I'm the opposite, only Driveclub bothered me.

All weekend fine, except Battlezone demo, but that bothered me less, through the weekend...

...This evening, It kept drifting, the screen was buttering and even after I tried to solve that, most of the games gave me irritation in my equilibrium :/

Dunno

Belfast

BattleZone is difficult, guys. :( Got about 3/4ths of the way through a campaign on Short/Easy. I know it can be played co-op, but I'm determined to slog through it on my own. Me against the world!

Only get a little discomfort when I'm looking all the way up to hit flyers above me, by the by. Probably more vertigo than anything (which I do get in real life).

Wallach

Man RIGS is the real deal. That game is wild, my first mech is this flying drone type with twin laser beams that just lets you go all over the place.

The only weird thing about it so far is the scale. The people all look child-sized, it's kind of comical.

Belfast

Is SuperHyperCube too hard? I say this not just because I've yet to get to level 3, but because the person that's No. 1 on the world leaderboard has only made it to level 8, and the person in second place is very far behind on level 7.

According to the trophy stats there's not a single person who has competed levels 8, 9 or 10. It might be an impossible platinum.

(To be clear, I like the game, but damn.)

I'm sure someone will zen their way to "beating" the game eventually. But it is very difficult. I've only barely been able to scratch Level 3, myself.

Fusebox

Banned
2D games look fucking in the VR cinema mode.

I can't wait to try plugging stuff in it tomorrow to see what works good. I am thinking about trying to airplay comics to my Apple TV and see what that looks like.

Also can't wait to try the Wii U and virtual console games.

Whaaaaaa...?

majik13

Ok so PSVR should hopefully be arriving soon.

I already have Rigs and EVE.
I also have a 40 dollar psn card. What should I get?
I am leaning towards Thumper and maybe Batman? But I keep thinking how short it is. Its hard because it seems there are a lot of games GAF is praising.

Im not a huge music rythm game fan, but I demoed Thumper and pretty much everything on the demo disc and that game left the biggest impression.

I found the kitchen and Here They Lie demos kinda meh, more silly than anything. Might be different when playing them in the dark alone and not surrounded by a bunch of people.

Or maybe I save the credit for Farpoint, that was the other best demo I played too.

Fusebox

Banned
Batman and/or Rush of Blood imo.

I don't recommend Thumper if you aren't into rythmn, the learning curve is fairly steep and making it to the later levels is relatively difficult whereas you shouldn't have any probs reaching the end of Batman or Rush of Blood.

Planet

I've had my VR unit for 9 days now and it has never gone red.
Grasping for straws here, but maybe you have extremely slow internet and are still downloading large games? I noticed the box will go white when the PS4 starts downloading anything in rest mode.

But probably you just have a faulty box.

datamage

Is Rigs MP only or is there some SP element?

Edit: On a different note, I can't decide if I want to go all digital for VR games or keep adding to my physical collection. First world problems for sure.

tr00per

I've had my VR unit for 9 days now and it has never gone red. Even when I unplug it from AC and plug it back in it still goes back to white. It's starting to get incredibly hot :(

I was turning off the headset and then putting my PS4 in rest mode and the processor box was staying white. The only time it turned completely off is when I moved my PS4 into another room and and left VR processor box behind. I'll try just putting my PS4 in rest without turning off my headset...

I will say VR is really putting my fans into overdrive on my already loud PS4. I can't wait until PS4 Pro to get rid of this thing...

It sounds like you're both having your hardware in warm spaces where the fans can't work too well. The os4 needs clearance on all sides and the breakout box needs clearance on the back. Try moving them and lowering the room temperature. Blow the dust out of the ps4 while you're at it

Hopefully that's the issue and not defective hardware. I never noticed my ps4 or breakout box's fans tbh. I only hear my ps4 when it runs a disc.

It's a full on 100% PSVR game from start to finish (and can and should be played entirely in VR), and honestly was built for VR from the very start.

Really, if we didn't include a non-VR mode it wouldn't be in the VR mode included section at all, and if I could get it recatagorized I would -_- .

Alright m0dus. You've got a customer. I appreciate the support you're giving everyone and I'll post my impressions and spread the word!

Ok so PSVR should hopefully be arriving soon.

I already have Rigs and EVE.
I also have a 40 dollar psn card. What should I get?

Try out the demo disc and then decide

Darknight

It's a full on 100% PSVR game from start to finish (and can and should be played entirely in VR), and honestly was built for VR from the very start.

Really, if we didn't include a non-VR mode it wouldn't be in the VR mode included section at all, and if I could get it recatagorized I would -_- .

Ok cool. I will buy it once I get PSVR. But please, dont forget about dat PS2 OS Dynanic theme!! Keep begging Sony to let you sell it!

Now regarding PSVR, what happens if someone younger than 12yrs old play it? Do they just get mad dizzy? We have a 10 yr old in our house (not my kid) and I want everyone to try this thing once I get one. Gonna suck if she cant play it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom