• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone else just feel a slight bit more hesitation when getting games for VR?

Like I asked about Brookhaven Experiment in this thread, people seem to like it. It's got good steam reviews and the PSVR version seems to be good...

Yet with every gave I'm just a bit more hesitant to go and buy it even at $20...

I'm not sure if there's a good way to explain it.

I've $93 in my account and apprehensive to purchase Battlezone, I've a feeling a lot of the VR games will tank at retail and I'll be able to pick up cheaper this side of Christmas.

PrinceKee

Finally tried Hulu VR and I was really impressed I really hope Netflix offers an experience like it. You can choose to watch videos in a virtual living room, movie theater, and the beach I believe with different ambience. It really makes me wish the PS VR resolution was a tad bit higher because I would use it to watch movies in the virtual theater every time I watched a movie without my wife. Still a really cool experience and the resolution didn't bother me as much as I thought it was and I can see myself watching full movies with the headset...

majik13

Finally tried Hulu VR and I was really impressed I really hope Netflix offers an experience like it. You can choose to watch videos in a virtual living room, movie theater, and the beach I believe with different ambience. It really makes me wish the PS VR resolution was a tad bit higher because I would use it to watch movies in the virtual theater every time I watched a movie without my wife. Still a really cool experience and the resolution didn't bother me as much as I thought it was and I can see myself watching full movies with the headset...

Whats netflix situation on PSVR now? No player yet? Theyve had 1 on Gear/oculus for a long time now. I think the only 2 options last I cecked was a void and a a snowy cabin at night.

PrinceKee

Whats netflix situation on PSVR now? No player yet? Theyve had 1 on Gear/oculus for a long time now. I think the only 2 options last I cecked was a void and a a snowy cabin at night.

Netflix only works in Cinematic mode now and I haven't heard anything about Netflix supporting PS VR...

It's fucking late but I finally have a moment to myself and I'm setting up the PSVR!

Does the camera work better above or below the tv?

I've mine below the TV, seems fine tbh. Big issue I had was with headset drift on DriveclubVR but that was fixed by sitting closer to the camera. 6ft seems optimal, I was previously 11-12ft away and it would drift almost 90 degrees over a couple of races.

majik13

Has anyone looked into blue tooth interference for those with drift and seemingly no fixes for their particular issues? It was one of the suggested fixes from Sony, but I dont see anyone mention it or talk about it. Probabaly a harder thing to test.

I really want to like Rigs but the UI for me is obnoxius.

Do we have any inkling on how the sales of the VR have been? When can we deem to see if its been a success or failure?

PrinceKee

I was turning off the headset and then putting my PS4 in rest mode and the processor box was staying white. The only time it turned completely off is when I moved my PS4 into another room and and left VR processor box behind. I'll try just putting my PS4 in rest without turning off my headset...

I will say VR is really putting my fans into overdrive on my already loud PS4. I can't wait until PS4 Pro to get rid of this thing...

My processor box is still not shutting off after putting my console is rest mode. So I guess i just have to continue to shut my console all the way down or unplug thr processor box...

goonergaz

sorry for the stoopid question, but am I right in thinking that theres no demo for bound or superhypercube on the demo disk? I select them but only get the option to buy?

Uzukii

Banned
Has anyone had (what I can only describe as) flicking color static noise when in VR Mode? It's like several red and white pixels flickering and the sometimes the whole screen will go black or static like a television. I turned HDCP back on and it fixed the screen going black but the static is still there.

ffvorax

I'm wondering if the problem that happens with tracking during some games could be 'cause of the bluetooth on my phone activated in my pocket... (not the only bluetooth device nearby...)

Sometimes Batman become unplayable...

"played" allumette yesterday night... lovely! The tracking was really good and a lot of fun to put my head inside the ship during some scenes, to look from different prospectives.

joebruin

what's the difference between this and the already existing cinema mode besides the background not being black? seems like the latter would be the ideal way to watch a movie.

netflix should bring back party mode from the 360 :)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It's fucking late but I finally have a moment to myself and I'm setting up the PSVR!

Does the camera work better above or below the tv?
If you want to play any standing games, like Batman (and you'll want to play that!) put the camera on top of the tv, but aim it slightly down so that it can pick up your position when you're sitting as well.

jusufin

Like Nag hinted at, standing experiences pretty much require the Camera be on top of the TV (or somewhere near head level). Even then, it's not going to be perfect or even "good" depending on your standards/expectations. I honestly think Sony shipped some bad batches of cameras or IMU's.

Rift only needs recentering if you move the camera without rerunning set up. In more than 100 hours on CV1, I've have never had to recenter save for first putting on the headset between sessions (out of camera view) or perhaps rarely changing between games. 9 times out of 10, even those situations aren't necessary. Never once seen it drift during play on it's own and I've never seen any complaints about it doing so. Google search seems to corroborate this, there are effectively no hits for CV1 tracking drift while PSVR already returns pages and pages. Sony's issues are on a completely different scale in a completely different stratosphere. You're being incredibly disingenuous trying to hand wave this away as "effecting the other guys too".

I'm not being disingenuous, I've basically said that I feel that PSVR is broken as it is, their is no motive other than to fix my problems so that I can play the games I have. I own a Gear VR, CV1, and a DK2 and yes I have experienced drift even on the CV1 from time to time, most recently in lucky's tale. I don't need to do a google search to talk about my own experiences with these devices lol.

To be even more clear, drift on my CV1, Gear, the Vive, and the even my DK2 is not a problem. I very rarely have the problem with CV1 and my Gear VR. I've had to recenter on occasion with the Gear VR, but I have never experienced drift as bad as PSVR. Something is wrong here, and judging from all the people with similar issues it's not just a faulty unit that's the problem. I hope Sony makes a statement or something soon otherwise I'm going to assume that it won't be fixed and have to send it back. I love the games I've managed to get working perfect, but I can't stick with PSVR if it means I have to take a chance on every game I buy. I would be happy with the recentering button at least doing what it should be doing but even that doesn't work and renders certain games unplayable for me.

DavidDesu

Has anyone had (what I can only describe as) flicking color static noise when in VR Mode? It's like several red and white pixels flickering and the sometimes the whole screen will go black or static like a television. I turned HDCP back on and it fixed the screen going black but the static is still there.

I had the flickering coloured pixels issue. Is it almost like a dust particles effect (at first I thought it was an effect in games!)? Another gaffer on here (sorry I forget who it was) suggested it's a problem with an HDMI cable. I swapped the old one I had in my setup with the one I was using with my PS3 and it fixed it! So yeah keep the obviously new one that came with the headset and swap out the other HDMI you're using and it probably will be fine.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Waiting for Pro but this thread is making it hard to resist caving and getting a standard now 🤔

Likewise. I borrowed my friends ps4 for a couple days to use my psvr, but had to give it back. really starting to regret i sold my og model.

I'm itching for more psvr.

M_A_C

I'm not being disingenuous, I've basically said that I feel that PSVR is broken as it is, their is no motive other than to fix my problems so that I can play the games I have. I own a Gear VR, CV1, and a DK2 and yes I have experienced drift even on the CV1 from time to time, most recently in lucky's tale. I don't need to do a google search to talk about my own experiences with these devices lol.

To be even more clear, drift on my CV1, Gear, the Vive, and the even my DK2 is not a problem. I very rarely have the problem with CV1 and my Gear VR. I've had to recenter on occasion with the Gear VR, but I have never experienced drift as bad as PSVR. Something is wrong here, and judging from all the people with similar issues it's not just a faulty unit that's the problem. I hope Sony makes a statement or something soon otherwise I'm going to assume that it won't be fixed and have to send it back. I love the games I've managed to get working perfect, but I can't stick with PSVR if it means I have to take a chance on every game I buy. I would be happy with the recentering button at least doing what it should be doing but even that doesn't work and renders certain games unplayable for me.

Have you tried all the fixes that are out there? Full shutdown, PS4 pad light on full, centering on left camera lens, etc?

Mendrox

It's not necessarily their call :( , though. Believe me. These things generally need several approvals well in advance of pressing, and sometimes fate and the rigors of development are not kind.
And I can assure you that those devs are, in fact, very cool. :)

So there will be a Bound demo? Really wanted to test it before I buy it. :3

Spman2099

VEV: Viva Ex Vivo should be known as Oi! Piss off, mate.

It is generally an enjoyable game, with an impressive sense of scale, and it is priced very reasonably. That being said, I am not sure how many times I will go back to it.

ryanofcall

Has anyone managed to beat psychotic mode in Until Dawn?
Any tips? I keep messing up at some point halfway through the game or so.

Same here guys..the last 4 days have felt like that grammar school break between X-Mas and New Years. We wake up and plan our day around playing with this thing.

We sure had more time then :) Those were the days. Feels pretty hard to go to gaming on a normal screen now. The immersion is second to none.

joeblow

Waiting for Pro but this thread is making it hard to resist caving and getting a standard now ��

I'm in the same boat, but I think playing VR experiences for the first time on the Pro will be worth the wait. My gaming time in the meantime is occupied with PC/PS3 backlog progress.

Less than a month left 'til launch!

I'm still on the fence regarding PS VR.

On one hand I really like shooting things and the tracking on the Vive is much better which should help with that. Then there's games like Budget Cuts or Raw Data, and the much higher graphical fidelity and framerate since I already have a high end rig...

... But on the other hand the PS VR headset is just sooooo freaking NICE. The design is just sublime. And I also have a PS4 Slim, so I'm covered in terms of hardware requirements for both headsets. I have a couple of PS Moves that work perfectly so I can also shave about 50 bucks off the bundle's price if I buy the headset and camera separately...

I'm really, really torn here. I wish Farpoint would come out already so I know how shooting games are gonna work on PS VR going forward.

Lazaro

Thumper is ridiculous.

If you like rhythm games you should absolutely purchase it.

I have soft spot for rhythm games, lol.

It's one of my favorites PSVR games for sure, it's also on Steam but I'm not sure if that version supports VR.

So there will be a Bound demo? Really wanted to test it before I buy it. :3

I couldn't find a demo also version but Bound is part of a "2-for-50% off deal" if that interests you. Well, at least in the AUS PS store

At this point I've nailed down what I am unhappy in with regard tracking : the headset part of tracking that requires the LEDs and the camera.

I notice that out of a VR program with the screen hanging before you, there are no LEDs lit on the front of the headset. Yet the screen is stabilised for rotation by the gyros. This works pretty flawlessly. But there is no translation mapped, so moving back and forward in space or left and right the screen stays nailed at the same distance. But all the rotation is translated perfectly. All good so far.

The problem comes with the LEDs on, the info from the camera seems to fight with the accelerometers and I get sliding and flicking back into position. It isn't noticeable at all on distant scenery but it is noticeable with stereo vision to close things such as the UFO catcher machine in the playroom, and the railing in batman VR where you pick the different acts. Or looking down at the ground just ahead of you in batman. Even motionless it randomly decides to start moving my POV a little, then pop-locks back to where it should be. Add in head motion and sometimes there is a worse lurch in the world view that doesn't feel too good.

Now I can pin down exactly where to look to see if its stable or not, I'll have to try various things like reboot the PS4, camera position, re-calibration etc.

But while I muck around with different experiments half of me wonders whether perhaps everyones headset gets this, perhaps they just don't care or they don't look at nearby objects enough (I don't notice anything amiss in Rez or Thumper for example)? Does anyone have a nailed down headset for depth and linear translation in space, both while still and with various kinds of moves?

farisr

Well, I have only one thing left to try, but I think I've already done it inadvertently with no real success (aligned myself/center of the play space with the left lens).

So decided on just going for it and ordered the older version of the camera from Best Buy. Will try that out if my outright positioning with the left lens of the camera doesn't solve the drifting and tracking. Some people have mentioned switching back to their old cameras solved their drifting issues, so I said why not. Who knows what may work, and there's no real risk involved. Won't have an issue with returning it if there's no change, but if it works, then great.

KORNdoggy

At this point I've nailed down what I am unhappy in with regard tracking : the headset part of tracking that requires the LEDs and the camera.

I notice that out of a VR program with the screen hanging before you, there are no LEDs lit on the front of the headset. Yet the screen is stabilised for rotation by the gyros. This works pretty flawlessly. But there is no translation mapped, so moving back and forward in space or left and right the screen stays nailed at the same distance. But all the rotation is translated perfectly. All good so far.

The problem comes with the LEDs on, the info from the camera seems to fight with the accelerometers and I get sliding and flicking back into position. It isn't noticeable at all on distant scenery but it is noticeable with stereo vision to close things such as the UFO catcher machine in the playroom, and the railing in batman VR where you pick the different acts. Or looking down at the ground just ahead of you in batman. Even motionless it randomly decides to start moving my POV a little, then pop-locks back to where it should be. Add in head motion and sometimes there is a worse lurch in the world view that doesn't feel too good.

Now I can pin down exactly where to look to see if its stable or not, I'll have to try various things like reboot the PS4, camera position, re-calibration etc.

But while I muck around with different experiments half of me wonders whether perhaps everyones headset gets this, perhaps they just don't care or they don't look at nearby objects enough (I don't notice anything amiss in Rez or Thumper for example)? Does anyone have a nailed down headset for depth and linear translation in space, both while still and with various kinds of moves?

i've looked at both the headset and controller pretty closely since i keep hearing about people having issues, and i cannot perceive any drift or jitter at all. obviously the controller flies off somewhere if you obscure the light or you turn it away or out of the camera's view. but i can hold the controller perfectly still in front of me and it doesn't move outside of my own hands slight movement. i'd imagine if it did i'd be feeling way more nauseous in way more games.

Fliesen

Job Simulator is a revelation. handling stuff with both hands, moving and turning objects, throwing, flicking and pushing ... it just feels so natural.
If you play it for half an hour straight, interacting with real world objects feels a bit weird at first...
The fact that you're 'naturally' starting to naturally grab virtual objects is fascinating.

When you see the 'bell' coming up, you know where you'd need to hit without having to see your hands at first...

Driveclub really suffers from the low resolution of PSVR ...

KORNdoggy

I think Driveclub is sub native 1080p and shows it that's why it looks so bad.

i think driveclub looks pretty good. it's certainly not kitchen demo levels of awful. which is kinda crazy given how big driveclub is and how small scale the kitchen demo is (it makes me worry about the IQ of RE7). i do think driveclub could do with a better AA solution/super sampling though.

dstarMDA

The camera definitely has trouble figuring out depth. The wobble was driving me mad, even if some of my friends would not notice it. I have pretty much solved the biggest issues by getting closer to the camera.

But then, Job Simulator requires you to stand at the exact distance my setup starts to wobble...

I am in love with the tech since developing a student project on DK2 last year (had a thread on GAF - yeah !) but I really hope that Sony can improve the tracking through software. It's way too tricky for a console product.

(tonight I'll be Batman and it'll be awesome)

i've looked at both the headset and controller pretty closely since i keep hearing about people having issues, and i cannot perceive any drift or jitter at all. obviously the controller flies off somewhere if you obscure the light or you turn it away or out of the camera's view. but i can hold the controller perfectly still in front of me and it doesn't move outside of my own hands slight movement. i'd imagine if it did i'd be feeling way more nauseous in way more games.

Yeah if I cover the controller light and shake it will skid off somewhere then uncover the light and it pops back generally it's a bit glitchy not a problem though because it doesn't mess with my head.

But I don't have the joys of a locked down point in space for the headset, it's nailed down for seconds.. Many seconds.. And then it flicks or jumps. If I move my head it can turn a flick or jump into a more dramatic move then pop back, which is worse. Or the move itself can feel weird.
But if not inspecting small things in front of me its not noticeable. If i am standing right close to something, it can be a more dramatic lurch that is unmissable.

Batman VR really brought it out. Could only last until I got to Robin then bailed :( because it's all about the small close up stuff. Like playroom ufo catcher.
But nobody including me has any fault with rush of blood, rez, thumper etc etc.

For some reason, the only part of batman VR is that didn't work properly was when i had to grab the batsuit. Where you have to grab( the bat logo on the chest) is always out of range of the camera, no matter where I position myself. Each time I reach out to grab it, my hands dissapeared. I got it in the end by sitting on the floor and leaning really slowly towards it and hoping for the best. Got it at the 15th attempt. Broke the immersion a bit.

seb

Banned
Yeah if I cover the controller light and shake it will skid off somewhere then uncover the light and it pops back generally it's a bit glitchy not a problem though because it doesn't mess with my head.

But I don't have the joys of a locked down point in space for the headset, it's nailed down for seconds.. Many seconds.. And then it flicks or jumps. If I move my head it can turn a flick or jump into a more dramatic move then pop back, which is worse. Or the move itself can feel weird.
But if not inspecting small things in front of me its not noticeable. If i am standing right close to something, it can be a more dramatic lurch that is unmissable.

Batman VR really brought it out. Could only last until I got to Robin then bailed :( because it's all about the small close up stuff. Like playroom ufo catcher.
But nobody including me has any fault with rush of blood, rez, thumper etc etc.

I noticed that this happened to me the one time I was in a really dark room. I chalked it up to the camera having trouble with auto focus. I moved a bit closer to the camera and lit up an indirect light to help the focus and it fixed it. YMMV.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
i think driveclub looks pretty good. it's certainly not kitchen demo levels of awful. which is kinda crazy given how big driveclub is and how small scale the kitchen demo is (it makes me worry about the IQ of RE7). i do think driveclub could do with a better AA solution/super sampling though.

I do wonder what a MarioKart game with full 1080p and high quality AA would look like.

We should compile a list of games that are sub native 1080p.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

I'm wondering the same thing. Not that they don't care, but just maybe it doesn't affect them or maybe they don't notice it. I'm thinking back to day 1 with it and we had such a blast. While I'm still enjoying it that constant sliding between the two is just so nauseating in certain circumstances. I don't know what I could be doing different from before that is making it worse :-/. It is putting a damper on the overall experience for me for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom