• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrojanAg

Just played Area X in Rez for the first time in VR and holy shit it is amazing. Probably one of the best experiences I've had in over 30 years of gaming. If you have a PSVR, you owe it to yourself to play this. If you don't own one, find someone who does. Really incredible how far games have come

DavidDesu

Talk of drifting. I don't get it as much as some do, but Driveclub seems to really be effected. It's not a huge amount of drift but it does drift a few degrees off to the left after a short while. Resetting doesn't fix the drift. I also get the slight backward/forwards tracking issue consistently in this game. Get it in some other games too. It really does feel like the tracking is so sensitive to the lighting in your room.. I thought dark or no lighting and playing PSVR at night would give the camera the beat tracking but weirdly it seems to work best during daylight hours.

I'm on the old camera. It's definitely frustrating that I can't guarantee whether my play session will be glitch free or have these slight wobbles. The headset is great and looks better than I expected (in the better IQ games), just a shame we have these issues. Looking at stuff up close is what absolutely is the killer app for VR and this wobbly tracking really kills that immersion.

People were right saying the camera wasn't fully up to the job and that they should have used a more modern and new solution for this. It would have been worth it. It still works great a lot of the time, don't get me wrong, I'm just a perfectionist is all!

kyser73

I feel for you guys with swim/tracking issues.

The only issue I've had was leftwards rotational drift which I fixed by moving me, and slightly wonky Move tracking in Rush of blood which I fixed by holding them closer to me.

Hasney

I'm wondering the same thing. Not that they don't care, but just maybe it doesn't affect them or maybe they don't notice it. I'm thinking back to day 1 with it and we had such a blast. While I'm still enjoying it that constant sliding between the two is just so nauseating in certain circumstances. I don't know what I could be doing different from before that is making it worse :-/. It is putting a damper on the overall experience for me for sure.

No, I'm afraid it just literally doesn't happen for me, except in Job Simulator when you're turning around. I'd notice it in other games as it's enough to feel sick.

pachura

So, let me get this straight:
The PS4 Media Player 2.50 does not view any stereoscopic 3D content (side-by-side, over-under)?
Only 360 equirectangular photos/videos, which are displayed as flat panoramas around the user?

Z3M0G

Well sad news for me, the contact between my glasses and the PSVR lens last night that scratched my glasses, also scratched the PSVR lens. As unlikely as that sounds, the scratch is in the exact same position as it is on my glasses. And yes, it is totally visible when playing. Since there's no way I'm going to just try to ignore a blurry spot in every game from here on out, I'm returning the bundle to Amazon, which kinda sucks since there aren't more bundles to exchange for and I just have to get a refund. What a disappointing pain in the ass.

If you wear glasses - DO NOT bring the PSVR too close to your face!
I inspected my buddies and there was nothing that would stop the lenses from touching my glasses... I was surprised. At the demo in the mall they were placing it on my head for me and didn't seem concerned about this at all and I had no chance to inspect it.

This is a big worry... I hope I didn't scratch my buddy's lenses, or that anyone else has by now. I need to warn him.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Well sad news for me, the contact between my glasses and the PSVR lens last night that scratched my glasses, also scratched the PSVR lens. As unlikely as that sounds, the scratch is in the exact same position as it is on my glasses. And yes, it is totally visible when playing. Since there's no way I'm going to just try to ignore a blurry spot in every game from here on out, I'm returning the bundle to Amazon, which kinda sucks since there aren't more bundles to exchange for and I just have to get a refund. What a disappointing pain in the ass.

If you wear glasses - DO NOT bring the PSVR too close to your face!
Did you tell Amazon that you damaged it?

goonergaz

I wonder if we can add a screen protector to the lens for those with glasses?

Also, I thought the REVII demo was going to have PSVR support? Weirdly I tried it last night and even though it wasn't 3D it looked 'almost' 3D - very weird and likely just a trick on my brain.

Moreche

I'm loving playing Bubble Bobble and Double Dragon in cinema mode.
PSVR is the best thing thing to happen in gaming for years to me. I really hope Sony and the devs can keep the momentum going, if it fails I'll put the blame totally on Sony.

DavidDesu

So, let me get this straight:
The PS4 Media Player 2.50 does not view any stereoscopic 3D content (side-by-side, over-under)?
Only 360 equirectangular photos/videos, which are displayed as flat panoramas around the user?

As far as I can tell yep. It's pretty lacking I must say. I'm not sure if a third party app would be allowed to tap into files stored on the USB and if not then Sony is out only hope.

I genuinely thought they'd be doing far more to get other forms of VR media on this thing. High res 3D photos in VR look incredible on Gear VR, would look even better on the PSVR screen. PS4 has the power to run higher res 3D videos at good framerates too which don't look half bad either. I want to see a lot more media apps in general taking advantage of PSVR. Sony should be there making this happen themselves.

Hasney

As far as I can tell yep. It's pretty lacking I must say. I'm not sure if a third party app would be allowed to tap into files stored on the USB and if not then Sony is out only hope.

I genuinely thought they'd be doing far more to get other forms of VR media on this thing. High res 3D photos in VR look incredible on Gear VR, would look even better on the PSVR screen. PS4 has the power to run higher res 3D videos at good framerates too which don't look half bad either. I want to see a lot more media apps in general taking advantage of PSVR. Sony should be there making this happen themselves.

3rd party apps should be able to look at the USB stick. Games can.

Mendrox

I wonder if we can add a screen protector to the lens for those with glasses?

Also, I thought the REVII demo was going to have PSVR support? Weirdly I tried it last night and even though it wasn't 3D it looked 'almost' 3D - very weird and likely just a trick on my brain.

Wrong demo. The Kitchen is the R7 demo, but strangely I did the same mistake and also had the same feeling lol

Hasney

The Kitchen just made me laugh. I'm beginning to feel like I was totally fine with motion sickness out of the box because while I feel immersed, I'm fully disassociated with the action happening on the screen.

Girlfriend tried to use it but it hurt her eyes instantly. She's really long sighted but doesn't bother with her glasses most of the time. Anyone else experience that?

scojitsu

How many games are playable without the Move controllers?
I'm interested in playing Thumper, Rez and Rigs and then Batman/Until Dawn when I can find decent priced Move controllers.

tr00per

No, my PS4 is a launch system and the fans turn on sometimes just sitting in the dashboard. I move my PS4 around sometimes from the family room, living room, and bedroom and it it does matter where it is the fans will kick on full blast...

Yeah that's odd. Mine is a launch unit as well and I haven't really heard it outside of one time in the summer with no AC

I mentioned that Ive played almost all the demos already in my post. But there are lots of games not on the demo disc too.

My apologies I must have missed that.

I finally got to play on my own set for about 30 minutes today. Some thoughts

I definitely noticed the resolution with Luge on VR Worlds. I imagine Driveclub is similar. Noticeable but not a deal breaker by any means

The menu in VR Worlds is very cool. As is the menu for the demo disc. I like how you can lean forward into it

I didn't really get Thumper until I tried the demo. VR is like an amplifier. I think all VR games should have demos since you can't get a full understanding from screenshots or even video. It would certainly help the sales.

goonergaz

How many games are playable without the Move controllers?
I'm interested in playing Thumper, Rez and Rigs and then Batman/Until Dawn when I can find decent priced Move controllers.

Id say most, so glad I got the 2nd a while back when the were £10 (and the official charger £2.50)

PowerSlam mode in RIGS is maybe the most pure fun I've had in my 20 years of gaming. Getting overdrive and fighting my way up the ramps and jumping into the goal and hearing "GOOOOOOOOOAAAAAALLLLL" is just too good.

goonergaz

The menu in VR Worlds is very cool. As is the menu for the demo disc. I like how you can lean forward into it

I didn't really get Thumper until I tried the demo. VR is like an amplifier. I think all VR games should have demos since you can't get a full understanding from screenshots or even video. It would certainly help the sales.

Yeah, it's so cool - when selecting the scavenger game I spent ages just deflecting the asteroids with the move controller!

Totally agree, all games should have demos.

goonergaz

Oh, and a pro-tip - if you have a decent amp (with subwoofer) try this, I have the sound on a lowish level (so not to upset the 3D effect) but whack the bass to maximum so I still get a really deep bass feeling, especially great with music based games

NYmanutd

I'm still on the fence, idk if i should get psvr or not, i have a 4 years old boy that will want to play with it all the time and i'm afraid he might end up breaking the thing.

P.S. Recommend me some games!
Some of my favorite games are God of War3,Shadow of the colossus, Jack and Daxter the precursor legacy, Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper Thieves in Time, Motorstorm Pacific Rift, Warhawk.

I'm still on the fence, idk if i should get psvr or not, i have a 4 years old boy that will want to play with it all the time and i'm afraid he might end up breaking the thing.

Sony don't recommend that anybody under 12 plays it. All you need to do is show him the message that says "Don't allow anybody under 12 to use headset" and pretend that if anybody under 12 does, the police will come and lock everybody away.

Easy!

Ogni-XR21

I still need to find out what is causing these random display/signal drop outs.

My guess is the PU. Mine went black yesterday and did not come back, at the same time the picutre on the TV was also gone. Only the sound was left. Makes me think it's some problem with the processing unit.

DavidDesu

How's Cinematic Mode? Do games look much worse when playing in it?

You lose that high def clarity but honestly it's pretty damn good. Depends on the game I think. Having a huge screen filling your vision works great for some games (F1 2016 was so much better played like this versus on my small TV) but other games might give you a headache if theres lot of action and movement on screen. I wouldn't buy the headset expecting it to replace your tv. In a few years though with a better screen it honestly will be a great alternative and one I'd turn to for most games over my tv.

I do wish Sony let you dynamically change the screen size, or at least give us one a bit smaller the the medium. The huge one is too huge, not sure how anyone would use that one lol.

Probably asked, but why does the processing unit wash out the image on the PS4 via the pass thru?

Do video settings reset (full RGB to limited)?

I haven't played regularly yet with it but what else should I expect?

NYmanutd

Sony don't recommend that anybody under 12 plays it. All you need to do is show him the message that says "Don't allow anybody under 12 to use headset" and pretend that if anybody under 12 does, the police will come and lock everybody away.

Easy!

Haha "The police will come and lock everybody away" thats funny.

cyber_ninja

You lose that high def clarity but honestly it's pretty damn good. Depends on the game I think. Having a huge screen filling your vision works great for some games (F1 2016 was so much better played like this versus on my small TV) but other games might give you a headache if theres lot of action and movement on screen. I wouldn't buy the headset expecting it to replace your tv. In a few years though with a better screen it honestly will be a great alternative and one I'd turn to for most games over my tv.

I do wish Sony let you dynamically change the screen size, or at least give us one a bit smaller the the medium. The huge one is too huge, not sure how anyone would use that one lol.

personally I think they look fine, I would describe it like playing on a projector.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts guys. I've had it pre ordered but decided to cancel it couple of months ago. Not that many vr games appeal to me at the moment and i wanted to know how is it to play regular games in vr. On top of that i have to try it before i buy it. I never experienced vr, therefore, i'm not sure whether i'm going to enjoy it or not.

taoofjord

At this point I've nailed down what I am unhappy in with regard tracking : the headset part of tracking that requires the LEDs and the camera.

I notice that out of a VR program with the screen hanging before you, there are no LEDs lit on the front of the headset. Yet the screen is stabilised for rotation by the gyros. This works pretty flawlessly. But there is no translation mapped, so moving back and forward in space or left and right the screen stays nailed at the same distance. But all the rotation is translated perfectly. All good so far.

The problem comes with the LEDs on, the info from the camera seems to fight with the accelerometers and I get sliding and flicking back into position. It isn't noticeable at all on distant scenery but it is noticeable with stereo vision to close things such as the UFO catcher machine in the playroom, and the railing in batman VR where you pick the different acts. Or looking down at the ground just ahead of you in batman. Even motionless it randomly decides to start moving my POV a little, then pop-locks back to where it should be. Add in head motion and sometimes there is a worse lurch in the world view that doesn't feel too good.

Now I can pin down exactly where to look to see if its stable or not, I'll have to try various things like reboot the PS4, camera position, re-calibration etc.

But while I muck around with different experiments half of me wonders whether perhaps everyones headset gets this, perhaps they just don't care or they don't look at nearby objects enough (I don't notice anything amiss in Rez or Thumper for example)? Does anyone have a nailed down headset for depth and linear translation in space, both while still and with various kinds of moves?

Yeah, this is my huge issue with the PSVR. any positional movement outside of rotation is very inaccurate to the point that it not only pulls me entirely out of the experience but also gives me motion sickness just by looking around while standing in place.

What I'm still not clear on is if this is a problem everyone has or just a few. Perhaps some people just don't notice it? I have a Vive and have that to compare to and the difference in accuracy is night and day.

I'll harass PS blog and Sony dudes on Twitter about this, 3D SBS needs to happen. Should be a simple fix or am I missing something?
Post it here:
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1294465

I'll add your thoughts to the OP. That thread is for feature and QoL requests.

That is the thread we are sending to Sony on social media to make them aware.

Everyone should post REQUESTS there as it is a collection and not one at a time.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Do we have a thread going on that is tracking confirmed PS4 Pro enhancements for specific VR titles? I know Farpoint is planning double the sample count on Pro, but that's about all I know of.

m@cross

Decided I wanted one of these after demoing it at PSX16 and really enjoying it. Now I have it sitting in my house unopened and planned to maybe resell it if the market was strong for them. Looking at maybe $70 profit, not really worth my time. Now the voices are telling me to open it.... I know I want one eventually, I don't need the money back for anything urgent, but I also don't need yet more of a backlog....

Is it possible to use this without having a TV? Is it possible to have it hooked up to my TV, but allow others to watch TV while I use it?

Mendrox

I'll harass PS blog and Sony dudes on Twitter about this, 3D SBS needs to happen. Should be a simple fix or am I missing something?

I guess they want to see how everything works out first? People hammered their twitter already, but give it another try. It should be easily patched. There are even apps that do that right now and one developer even said they wanted to bring their PC app to PS4 for that.

Decided I wanted one of these after demoing it at PSX16 and really enjoying it. Now I have it sitting in my house unopened and planned to maybe resell it if the market was strong for them. Looking at maybe $70 profit, not really worth my time. Now the voices are telling me to open it.... I know I want one eventually, I don't need the money back for anything urgent, but I also don't need yet more of a backlog....

Is it possible to use this without having a TV? Is it possible to have it hooked up to my TV, but allow others to watch TV while I use it?

Yes it is possible to use your TV and VR headset simultanously. I dont know if it works without a TV though, but in theory it should.

Yes the TV doesn't need to be on to use it, or alternatively it could be on another input/channel whilst you play via the headset.

Honestly I'm amazed by it, best bit of tech I've purchased in years and can't wait to see how much better it gets once the Pro is launched.

Apples_89

Does anyone have some tips on how to remove the plastic cover on the lenses? I've stared at them under a light and can't seem to even find the edges of the protector.

Mendrox

Does anyone have some tips on how to remove the plastic cover on the lenses? I've stared at them under a light and can't seem to even find the edges of the protector.

That's strange, there should be a little bit to pull it of, but otherwise don't be scared and just pull it off.

Edit: Also not all of them have them. If you cannot see a blue protector - you dont have one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom