• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Does anyone have some tips on how to remove the plastic cover on the lenses? I've stared at them under a light and can't seem to even find the edges of the protector.
Mine and a lot of folks didn't come with protection.

Apples_89

That's strange, there should be a little bit to pull it of, but otherwise don't be scared and just pull it off.

Edit: Also not all of them have them. If you cannot see a blue protector - you dont have one.
I'll just leave it alone then. I've tried picking around the edges with no success and I'm worried I might end up scratching them.

I wonder if we can add a screen protector to the lens for those with glasses?

Also, I thought the REVII demo was going to have PSVR support? Weirdly I tried it last night and even though it wasn't 3D it looked 'almost' 3D - very weird and likely just a trick on my brain.

One thing I was thinking of are those screen guards for smart watches...The galaxy S2 smart watch for example, is round as well as the PSVR lenses, I wonder if putting one of those clear screen guards could help?

I would just worry about it messing with the clarity, and it would have to be one of the peel and stick ones since the wet application guards would be near impossible to install...

kinggroin

Banned
Thanks, much appreciated.
It's a shame they can't achieve that perfect, plain black image as it does ruin Rush of Blood slightly. It's like looking at a black image through a thin fabric.

They can. It's OLED.

Not all developers have dialed in the correct gamma or brightness levels in their game, but there are already some that lock in to that pure black level you're craving (watch a movie in Netflix or bluray, or play a non-VR game).

It's up to the devs.

Also, keep in mind d that going pure black instead of that dark grey means a smeary picture in areas of a game that are low in contrast. So, it could be a conscious decision by the Until Dawn team.

tr00per

Oh, and a pro-tip - if you have a decent amp (with subwoofer) try this, I have the sound on a lowish level (so not to upset the 3D effect) but whack the bass to maximum so I still get a really deep bass feeling, especially great with music based games

YES! I did this with Thumper! Every time you fire at the boss. Sooo good

Does anyone have some tips on how to remove the plastic cover on the lenses? I've stared at them under a light and can't seem to even find the edges of the protector.

The first unit I opened (core) didn't have it

The second one (vr worlds bundle) did. It's very obvious. If you don't see it almost immediately it isn't there

panda-zebra

Had most of the day free, planned to check out Kitchen and London Heist. But I just noticed Bound in my library and thought I'd check out how it looked in VR.

Three hours later...

Wonderful experience.

PBY

Banned
Had most of the day free, planned to check out Kitchen and London Heist. But I just noticed Bound in my library and thought I'd check out how it looked in VR.

Three hours later...

Wonderful experience.

Is there a good way to play this in VR? It looked awful from the GB stream, but they were playing on the mode where you had to continually reset the camera. Can the camera follow your character?

tr00per

I'm planning a VR Party for this weekend. Inviting 5 or 6 people, expecting 4. Does anyone have any advice? Tips? Games? Miscellaneous ideas?

Gonna do Playroom for sure. I'll probably get keep talking and nobody explodes. What other games really show well? I've cleared a 60 dollar budget. I've got rigs, Catlateral damage, VEV and VR worlds.

I've been thinking it's best to put one person in the headset for about 30 minutes (assuming they can handle it) rather than jumping back and forth

I'm thinking of having a second system on another TV to keep people busy. Probably gonna cycle Towerfall, Screencheat, push me pull you, and sportsfriends.

I want to stream it too but I want to be able to capture everyone's reactions too. I have a decent pc (r9 380 fx-8350) but no capture card. I might have to settle for just videotaping it

Any feedback appreciated

mr lurtle

Is there a good way to play this in VR? It looked awful from the GB stream, but they were playing on the mode where you had to continually reset the camera. Can the camera follow your character?

Sadly I don't think there are any options but it really isn't as bad as GB made it look.

Hasney

I've been told it's the best VR game by people, but yeah, I watched that stream too and I can't match it up in my head.

D23

Just played Area X in Rez for the first time in VR and holy shit it is amazing. Probably one of the best experiences I've had in over 30 years of gaming. If you have a PSVR, you owe it to yourself to play this. If you don't own one, find someone who does. Really incredible how far games have come

I keep hearing about this area x..
Will pick it up once it hits $20

panda-zebra

Sadly I don't think there are any options but it really isn't as bad as GB made it look.

Nah it's not bad at all, got used to it in no time then never gave it a second thought. and it isn't the sort of game/experience you want to be sharing with anyone, chatting away, whatever, that'd only ruin the atmosphere... you can get away with that in some of these games but others really benefit from a lack of external distractions.

There was an option to switch to alternative camera that lets you snap to the avatar's view as well.

When I think back to all the dodgy cameras we had to put up with in the early days of 3d games, I can understand why something like this with patched-in support from a small team uses blink - it's safe and works (and they clearly have a good handle on it vs something like Here They Lie which, while similar, is not in the same league).

Orcastar

Went to buy a PSVR yesterday, but the store was having some problems with their card terminals, so they couldn't sell me one. Now they don't have any in stock anymore.

I could go buy one from my local Gamestop, but that would involve giving money to Gamestop, which I am loath to do. And there's the fact that Gamestop doesn't offer a 30-day return policy like the other store does, which might come in handy in case I'm disappointed in the thing. I guess I'll just have to wait.

Z3M0G

Did anyone buy EVE and is investing a lot of time in it?

Does the campaign have any replay value?

Anyone playing online?

Are the progression systems any good?

Does anyone else have an issue with the lenses constantly being oily/greasy?

I'm sure this has come from various people who have used the headset, but when I use the cloth to wipe the lenses it doesn't seem to remove it, just smear it about.

It's like you cannot clean the lenses properly. I also think the cloth that came with the system is useless. It is so harsh that I think it will eventually scratch the lenses anyway.

LiK

er, the lil flaps are in the center above the nose area. easy to peel off.

El-Suave

I'm planning a VR Party for this weekend. Inviting 5 or 6 people, expecting 4. Does anyone have any advice? Tips? Games? Miscellaneous ideas?

Gonna do Playroom for sure. I'll probably get keep talking and nobody explodes. What other games really show well? I've cleared a 60 dollar budget. I've got rigs, Catlateral damage, and vr worlds.

I've been thinking it's best to put one person in the headset for about 30 minutes (assuming they can handle it) rather than jumping back and forth

I'm thinking of having a second system on another TV to keep people busy. Probably gonna cycle Towerfall, Screencheat, push me pull you, and sportsfriends.

I want to stream it too but I want to be able to capture everyone's reactions too. I might have to settle for just videotaping it

Any feedback appreciated

You're pretty much set already. For VR I'd consider Headmaster. It's easy to understand and get into and it has a party mode where you swap the headset. Off the VR topic: maybe get Overcooked if you set up another system. It doesn't get more fun for couch gaming.

After spending that last few days living and breathing vr gaming, I can't see myself gaming in the future if this doesn't stick. This has fundamentally changed games for me. Not that regular tv gaming isn't fine, but a world where this isn't some sort of alternative permanently is sad.

FaintDeftone

Even though I'm loving PSVR, I can't help but be disappointed with the blurriness I often witness during use. Some games handle this better than others, but I was playing a stage in Until Dawn last night that no matter how I adjusted the headset, things still looked quite blurry. Is there something I'm doing wrong or is that just the nature of the headset's resolution?

majin_pol

Neo Member
Has anyone tried The Brookhaven Experiment? I only found 1 impression of it so far that said it was a good game.

it is fun - what you want to know? Its fixed place zombie shooter, survival mode + campaign is fun first play ( later you know where they come from and wont be a surprise )

if you have money why not vr ftw

Even though I'm loving PSVR, I can't help but be disappointed with the blurriness I often witness during use. Some games handle this better than others, but I was playing a stage in Until Dawn last night that no matter how I adjusted the headset, things still looked quite blurry. Is there something I'm doing wrong or is that just the nature of the headset's resolution?
Blurry or low rez?

Take a look at some other games like Job Sim or take a look at the inside of your tank in Battlezone.

Some games are blurrier than others, for sure. But I would say Job Sim and Thumper are excellent in VR, so compare those.

LiK

Haven't tried Until Dawn but Luge looked the worst to me so far. I agree, this is my first time with VR and the whole screendoor effect and lower rez is a bit disappointing.

People who tried the other sets say this is actually the best in calrity so far which is quite surprising. It's like going from a 3DS game's direct feed from a capture device to seeing the same game in 3DS screen. Not as pretty.

gunstarhero

Gonna do Playroom for sure. I'll probably get keep talking and nobody explodes. What other games really show well? I've cleared a 60 dollar budget. I've got rigs, Catlateral damage, VEV and VR worlds.

I want to stream it too but I want to be able to capture everyone's reactions too. I have a decent pc (r9 380 fx-8350) but no capture card. I might have to settle for just videotaping it

Any feedback appreciated

Super HyperCube was a big hit when i did something similar last week. Obviously at $30 it's a little pricey for your budget, but it was a great game to go switch between players, and was easy to grasp. Plus it looks amazing. It's also one of the few games NOT on the demo disc - so you could buy that, and demo the other games with your friends.

Hasney

Because it's shit

Messed around with a PSVR today for a bit and what stuns me is how shit the processing unit box is. What a piece of garbage.

I knew it was only HDMI 1.4 and wouldn't support higher end visual features but what I didn't expect was the awful color banding that results. The box only outputs 8-bit per pixel and the end result is a reduction in image quality on the connected display even when the PSVR itself is not active. You can see it plain as day on the PS4 main menu. Without the box, the blue colors are 100% smooth with no color banding at all. It looks fantastic. With the box connected, however, color banding becomes an obvious problem and it looks lousy.

So, basically, the processing unit degrades image quality even when outputting at 1080p.

Yeah, those types of demos are amazing. Oculus Dreamdeck is rather similar in that regard.

It's also why I absolutely adore New Retro Arcade on the PC - exploring a fully functional 80s arcade just feels incredible due to the close quarters.

That's really what I've learned about VR - the small scale environments tend to be a lot more impressive than the larger scale ones.

Codiox

Did anyone buy EVE and is investing a lot of time in it?

Does the campaign have any replay value?

Anyone playing online?

Are the progression systems any good?

I got eve yesterday and having a blast. I think I will invest a lot of time in it. You can add me if you need a wingman: C0D10X

grendelrt

I had this problem. Switching out the HDMI-cable going to the PS4 fixed it. Apparently it'd been faulty all along!

Could just be the difference in bandwidth pushed with VR, you are sending a frame packed 3D signal with audio vs a 2d signal before, old cable might have been on the edge and couldn't keep up with the new signal.

rafaelr

Any feedback appreciated

For Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes, it´s quite handy if you print out the defusal manual a couple of times (you can view it on the TV screen, but imo the printout just works better).
hot-seating headmaster from vr worlds works nicely as well, as one match doesn´t take too long and the others can cheer/laugh at the player.

Waveset

Someone has figured out how to get full screen PC images on the PSVR.

It's one step closer to running Steam/Rift games on this device.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/582ngx/playstation_vr_pc_hack_use_the_whole_screen/
Another step towards greatness!

Occurred to me how amazing it would be to get this plugged into a Steam Link and have VR working over that. But I can't wrap my head around how tracking would work like that (assuming your PC is in another room).

A bound dev on Reddit said an upcoming patch will allow an option for the camera to automatically update while in VR.

gmoran

Burriness implies you haven't got the head-band adjusted right so its not properly in focus?

However anything long distance will be ill-defined because of the resolution, this is worse for more realistic looking games, and the same issue exists on all HMDs, just a bit worse on PSVR.

PSVR doesn't really have SDE worth mentioning, its more likely the mura correction you can see. Try turning the brightness of the display down to about 70-80%,

I love Rush of Blood and I think it looks ace: basically the greatest ghost train in the world, in your own house, with guns

Z3M0G

I got eve yesterday and having a blast. I think I will invest a lot of time in it. You can add me if you need a wingman: C0D10X

I don't have VR yet but I really want this game to be good... the mode where you capture points to bring down the shields of the battleship and then do strafing runs against the battle ship Star Wars style sounds absolutely brilliant!

Got my PSVR yesterday and man oh man, it's incredible and as some have already said, i want this to be part of videogames forever, this is the future for me. I've never been this impressed and haven't had that much fun in a long time.

Was messing with a lot of games, experiences yesterday. I loved Alumette, the 3d effect is incredible. I also liked Battlezone, that feeling in a battleship wow, but was feeling a bit sick after 10 minutes. Driveclub is amazing and will probably buy it. The Kitchen Resident Evil 7 demo is crazy, Ocean Decent is just dope... anyway, most of the impressions have already been posted so i'm not gonna repeat that here but one thing is sure is that i love VR and going back to 2d flat screen games is just not the same.

Well sad news for me, the contact between my glasses and the PSVR lens last night that scratched my glasses, also scratched the PSVR lens. As unlikely as that sounds, the scratch is in the exact same position as it is on my glasses. And yes, it is totally visible when playing. Since there's no way I'm going to just try to ignore a blurry spot in every game from here on out, I'm returning the bundle to Amazon, which kinda sucks since there aren't more bundles to exchange for and I just have to get a refund. What a disappointing pain in the ass.

If you wear glasses - DO NOT bring the PSVR too close to your face!

This is my biggest fear. However, the first day I got it, I moved the visor as close as it would go and there was definitely still a gap between my glasses and the visor lenses. Anyone else use it with glasses?

KORNdoggy

This is my biggest fear. However, the first day I got it, I moved the visor as close as it would go and there was definitely still a gap between my glasses and the visor lenses. Anyone else use it with glasses?

yup, i move it as close as i can get it and there is still a clear gap. i do make sure to push my glasses on fully though.

rSpooky

The past week has been a lot of fun with PSVR. I had played the vive multiple times at my friends home and I loved that one. But boy does the PSVR deliver.

Sadly I keep losing access to it because my kids just dominate its time :)
Amazing how they can spend forever in there without suffering any issues, kids brains are definitely more adaptable then my old brain ..lol

here is some cobbled together reactions of my two youngest playing ocean decent. Neither had seen it before they played it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k41nuqxpkkI
edit: Skip to midway to see them react to the "danger" :)

gcubed

I played a few times with glasses and they touched the headset lenses, no problems on my glasses or headset

panda-zebra

Became unwell for the first time in PSVR, and it was VeV! /o\ GAF, what have you done to me, I thought I had an iron stomach!
TBF, it was my own fault - was messing around with inverted controls and trying out the super fast turn speed.

2 of my pairs are fine. The largest pair, the ones that are most comfortable and that I use for sitting at the computer definitely touch if I slide the display all the way back. The best pair are a super cheap emergency pair I bought just to have handy, seems they are now my psvr glasses.

Yeah knock on wood I use it with glasses with no issues. I have a relatively small frame I would say but not tiny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom