• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Codiox

I don't have VR yet but I really want this game to be good... the mode where you capture points to bring down the shields of the battleship and then do strafing runs against the battle ship Star Wars style sounds absolutely brilliant!

I'm loving it already and only played team deathmatch so far. I don't know why this game is so bad received

DavidDesu

Blurry or low rez?

Take a look at some other games like Job Sim or take a look at the inside of your tank in Battlezone.

Some games are blurrier than others, for sure. But I would say Job Sim and Thumper are excellent in VR, so compare those.

I get the feeling the more impressive visual games arent running native res but they use some kind of blur filter maybe so you don't see harsh pixels but just really blurry visuals. Obviously the low res means this is inevitable for things in the distance but stuff like Luge and Here They Lie really feel like the entire world is super blurry where some other stuff doesn't look half as bad.

I've noticed though the use of blurry textures too so even when you look up close there's not as much detail as the screen can render. Thinking the dashboard readouts and dials in Driveclub.

I am picking up my contacts soon, so that I don't have to use my glasses. Seeing already that someone has scratched their PSVR lens, already makes me paranoid that it may happen with mine. I have stuck with mostly no glasses for it, but it's hard to get used to when you have bad vision.

Rubik8

Haha "The police will come and lock everybody away" thats funny.

Been using this one on my 3 year old, but it is losing effectiveness. She called my bluff when I told her the restaurant would call the police if she didn't finish her Mac & cheese.

Craft

This is my biggest fear. However, the first day I got it, I moved the visor as close as it would go and there was definitely still a gap between my glasses and the visor lenses. Anyone else use it with glasses?

I have glasses on when using mine, really worried about the scratching now.
I think the bridge stops the glasses from getting too close to the lenses but certainly going to be much more careful from now on.

Are the lenses replaceable at all like they are for other headsets? Would be pretty shitty to damage them and have no way fix it.

I get the feeling the more impressive visual games arent running native res but they use some kind of blur filter maybe so you don't see harsh pixels but just really blurry visuals. Obviously the low res means this is inevitable for things in the distance but stuff like Luge and Here They Lie really feel like the entire world is super blurry where some other stuff doesn't look half as bad.

I've noticed though the use of blurry textures too so even when you look up close there's not as much detail as the screen can render. Thinking the dashboard readouts and dials in Driveclub.
The combination of low rendering resolution with AA coupled with lenses that pretty much focus the screen to your face where you can just about make out individual pixels can be fairly messy in some games.

akileese

I got sports bar VR off Amazon. The code is invalid and somehow amazon is saying this is a Sony issue, despite the fact that they're providing me with an invalid code. I'm not sure how this is Sony's issue but what a fantastic morning.

I got sports bar VR off Amazon. The code is invalid and somehow amazon is saying this is a Sony issue, despite the fact that they're providing me with an invalid code. I'm not sure how this is Sony's issue but what a fantastic morning.

The game isn't out on the US store yet. That's probably why it's giving you an error. You have to wait until ??? GCT when the store updates (usually between 2-6PM).

ryseing

http://www.playstationcountry.com/viva-ex-vivo-vr-edition-psvr-review/

Never let it be said that I hide anything ;)

In truth, we probably shouldn't have released the game without VR support--it was a necessity however given certain elements out of our control, and we were able to make huge improvements to the gameplay and presentation as result. But, honestly, if I could remove the non VR mode I probably would, because it truly comes alive in VR.

Good to hear. I'll be picking your game up at some point, hopefully this week. I'm always a fan of devs hearing feedback and using it to improve their work.

I think Amazon fucked up majorly with their Founders Pack codes to those who bought in on EVE for $20. I redeemed mine last night and went in game to see my items. Nothing was there. I check the media tab and it tells me the start and expiration date are both the same.

Between this and iam8bit, apparently giving out working PSN codes is a Herculean task.

seb

Banned
I actually set aside a dedicated pair for VR headset use, I'm thinking of even putting a small EVA foam spacer on the rim to prevent contact with the VR lens.

I'm considering buying a dedicated pair too. It has to be as small and narrow as possible with the lenses as close to my eyes as possible. I look forward to the vendor trying to persuade me that I look like an idiot with glasses way too small for my face :)

qcf x2

My first run through with the PSVR I was kind of underwhelmed. I tried Drive Club (instant sickness, literally under 2 seconds into the race I had to force quit), Allumette (good), Battlezone (boring), Eve (short, not my thing anyway), Thumper (okay).

Next time through I tried Until Dawn (boring, but voice acting was pretty solid), Harmonix VR (better than I thought; the dance thing was pretty fun), Wayward Sky (solid) and most importantly Playroom VR, which is mindblowingly awesome.

I need full versions of the games in the Playroom suite, and devs need to take cues from those titles. They're the most fun I've had in VR, Vive experiences included.

Man - I've got the VR game buying fever for sure. Was going to hold off on Rigs but it was staring me in the face last night on the PSN store and I couldn't stop myself from pulling the trigger. Looking forward to trying the full game out tonight!

Man, time just flies by when you're in this thing. :p That platform game in PS VR World was awesome, who knew that type of game could work so well in VR. Was also really enjoying the Move supported games like London Heist.

DjRalford

+1 to the person who posted about lining up the headset correctly one eye at a time. Worked very well for me.

You're welcome, as I said before the headset itself felt twisted by the end but the image was crystal clear

Edit, that's assuming it was my post you saw and not anyone else's. lol

CyberChulo

it is fun - what you want to know? Its fixed place zombie shooter, survival mode + campaign is fun first play ( later you know where they come from and wont be a surprise )

if you have money why not vr ftw

Thanks! A second opinion is better than 1 opinion. Gonna pick this up.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
aw yeah whos batman

LS8xIAv.gif

im batman

After spending a bit more time with PSVR, I think I'm just too cynical for virtual reality in general. It never feels "real" to me. I never get the sensation that something flying at my face is actually going to hit me. It feels like I'm watching a giant screen but not like I'm actually inside the game.

I watched several other people play yesterday and they were all freaking out and flinching at things that flew at them, acting really scared and uncomfortable at unfamiliar situations. I just don't get any of those feelings with VR.

Am I a broken person?

Is there something resembling a consensus on the best long-form launch game yet? I'm looking for something a bit more meaty than Thumper.

Is Driveclub long? I really liked the demo.

qcf x2

After spending a bit more time with PSVR, I think I'm just too cynical for virtual reality in general. It never feels "real" to me. I never get the sensation that something flying at my face is actually going to hit me. It feels like I'm watching a giant screen but not like I'm actually inside the game.

I watched several other people play yesterday and they were all freaking out and flinching at things that flew at them, acting really scared and uncomfortable at unfamiliar situations. I just don't get any of those feelings with VR.

Am I a broken person?

I'd say try something that involves a phobia of yours. If it doesn't affect you any more than staring at it on a TV screen then I guess you're just a robot. The Vive's spatial movement adds an extra layer of interaction so maybe that might help, but for example in the Until dawn demo nothing scared me because I knew I was on rails with fictional/silly looking things staring at me. That wouldn't scare me in a movie or in VR.

kinggroin

Banned
Has anyone tried The Brookhaven Experiment? I only found 1 impression of it so far that said it was a good game.

Its dope, if shallow. You stand your ground and shoot at waves of monsters (varying types and sizes) then in-between waves, upgrade your weapons or abilities.

Like a less dynamic Killing Floor.

Fixed1979

Is there something resembling a consensus on the best long-form launch game yet? I'm looking for something a bit more meaty than Thumper.

You can try Rigs, especially if you like a bit MP. There's 3 different game modes, single player seasons, unlocks, multiplayer, etc. People are saying that the MP portion isn't really populated but I expect it to expand, I'm still messing around in single player and will eventually play some mp.

RIGS OT

Am I a broken person?
I'd definitely say I right flipped my shit in Until Dawn when
right after the spider boss all them spiders came crawling all over me.
That shit can scar you.

tr00per

You're pretty much set already. For VR I'd consider Headmaster. It's easy to understand and get into and it has a party mode where you swap the headset. Off the VR topic: maybe get Overcooked if you set up another system. It doesn't get more fun for couch gaming.

Thank you! Headmaster is the headbutt football one right? I've never heard of overcooked. I'll look into it!

Super HyperCube was a big hit when i did something similar last week. Obviously at $30 it's a little pricey for your budget, but it was a great game to go switch between players, and was easy to grasp. Plus it looks amazing. It's also one of the few games NOT on the demo disc - so you could buy that, and demo the other games with your friends.

Good point. I do love the aesthetic too... Thanks!

For Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes, it´s quite handy if you print out the defusal manual a couple of times (you can view it on the TV screen, but imo the printout just works better).
hot-seating headmaster from vr worlds works nicely as well, as one match doesn´t take too long and the others can cheer/laugh at the player.

Thanks for the tip! I hope it isn't too many pages?

And Headmaster from vr worlds? You refer to danger ball? That's what drove me away from Headmaster is they appeared kinda similar to me. I've played danger ball but not Headmaster

It depends how much time you want to put into it really. I have one star left in the tour to get (22 second and come first, i keep getting 22.4) and the trophies seem very easy, though getting to level 60 will take a while. The length of the game lies in how long you like messing about with different cars and tracks and all the different modes.

DukeBobby

Am I a broken person?

I'm enjoying my time with the headset so far, but I feel the same way. My brother tried it and he feels the same, too.

We're both very impressed with the tech, but neither of us felt truly immersed in the experience. It's a great start, but VR still has a long way to go.

DjRalford

It sounds more complicated than it is

Put the headset on and tighten it 75%
Shut one eye and move the headset up down left right until that eye is crystal clear, now close that eye and move onto the other, whilst adjusting for the second eye frequently check the first is still clear.

The headset may feel like it's sitting funny when you finish but you'll have perfect vision and should get zero bloom when reading the adjust headset text, even at the edges.

Imagine adjusting a pair of glasses one eye at a time by closing the other to get the clearest image you can with each eye.

Now imagine that with VR Goggles to see if you can match the sweet spot with both eyes at a time.

Not everyone's eyes are spaced and positioned the same. More often than not one eye is higher than the other and closer/farther apart than the guy next to you.

I noped right out of the kitchen demo as soon as the zombie ran behind me.

I can't do the horror VR stuff. Too intense.

I have a confession to make as well, in Danganronpa VR
I turned the game off before you get crushed at the end.

I wonder if I'm the only one who likes just playing with those balls in the PSVR Worlds menu.

I spent a couple minutes trying to bounce it up and down before batting it away.

I am picking up my contacts soon, so that I don't have to use my glasses. Seeing already that someone has scratched their PSVR lens, already makes me paranoid that it may happen with mine. I have stuck with mostly no glasses for it, but it's hard to get used to when you have bad vision.
I'm a bit miffed about the two scratches I have on one of my lenses. And I don't even wear glasses!

Though, now that I think about it, my Pops came over to check it out and he kept his reading glasses on. Maybe that was the culprit? Glasses + PS VR = scratches seems like it might be a major issue.

Belfast

Am I a broken person?

I don't typically have the extreme reactions a lot of other people are, although once in awhile a game will get me. This doesn't take away from the fact that using the PSVR feels otherworldly. To me, it's a bit like doing drugs without actually doing drugs. It sort of hits the same hallucinatory parts of your brain (even more so in certain games...) and leaves you feeling a bit different afterwards. If you don't feel that at all, then I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom