• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ammogeddon

I wonder if I'm the only one who likes just playing with those balls in the PSVR Worlds menu.

You're not the only one.

It reacts with the headset too. Try the asteroid debris one for Scavengers odyssey, so cool. Also, put your headphones on and put your head in the Ocean descent water globe, that's cool too.

Glix

Seriously m0dus? That game is five fucking dollars? To swim inside blood in VR and shit for five measly bucks?

Count me fucking IN.

Glix

How important are the wands to the experience? Can I get by with just the controller?

They are VERY important to some games.

Until Dawn is 100% better with them. If you use the dualshock your hands are "bound" together and you can't shoot in two directions at once.

They are mandatory for Batman VR and the Heist, two of the best experiences out there so far.

akileese

aw yeah whos batman

LS8xIAv.gif

im batman

I did this for about 15 minutes while playing it in the beginning and then let my daughter do the same. Arkham VR is a legitimately awesome experience, but it's hilarious that I found the dancing animation of Batman to be the most impressive aspect of it.

Also, was I the only one who felt actual immersion when going down the elevator? It felt like I was actually moving down.

Glix

I did this for about 15 minutes while playing it in the beginning and then let my daughter do the same. Arkham VR is a legitimately awesome experience, but it's hilarious that I found the dancing animation of Batman to be the most impressive aspect of it.

Also, was I the only one who felt actual immersion when going down the elevator? It felt like I was actually moving down.

I felt it too.

I feel it in the drops on Until Dawn as well, my stomach lurches same as it does on a real coaster.

I hope it NEVER goes away. I don't want to "acclimate" to it, I want my brain to always be tricked.

I don't typically have the extreme reactions a lot of other people are, although once in awhile a game will get me. This doesn't take away from the fact that using the PSVR feels otherworldly. To me, it's a bit like doing drugs without actually doing drugs. It sort of hits the same hallucinatory parts of your brain (even more so in certain games...) and leaves you feeling a bit different afterwards. If you don't feel that at all, then I don't know.

Yeah, I played Thumper in PSVR and really liked it, but again, it just felt like a huge screen. It wasn't like "oh man I'm tripping balls" or anything. I always wonder if people are exaggerating their reactions while using it or if I'm just really numb to VR. I've tried Oculus and Vive as well and felt similarly with those headsets.

hawk2025

Complete immersion. That was a mindblowing moment for me, especially since it was unexpected. I was there.

Qwark

Thumper and Job Simulator are my favorite experiences so far. Thumper just feels so dang good when you're in the game, and Job Simulator is just so hilariously stupid. I've always wanted to spray customers/coworkers with a fire extinguisher.

I filmed my buddy experiencing PSVR and the Kitchen Resident Evil 7 demo for the first time. Hilarious.
https://youtu.be/GdXIao4irPQ

I should see if my friend will let me post her video playing Kitchen, she threw the headset off twice in the first minute and then rage quit.

Mendrox

Yeah, I played Thumper in PSVR and really liked it, but again, it just felt like a huge screen. It wasn't like "oh man I'm tripping balls" or anything. I always wonder if people are exaggerating their reactions while using it or if I'm just really numb to VR. I've tried Oculus and Vive as well and felt similarly with those headsets.

That is really really strange... Are u sure you Set the headset up the right way? Even my mum that never felt VR like other people got spooked and immersed. Dont you feel like being in the room yourself? I forget that I am in real life too after a few seconds.

You can try Rigs, especially if you like a bit MP. There's 3 different game modes, single player seasons, unlocks, multiplayer, etc. People are saying that the MP portion isn't really populated but I expect it to expand, I'm still messing around in single player and will eventually play some mp.

RIGS OT
I really dislike MP, unfortunately.
It depends how much time you want to put into it really. I have one star left in the tour to get (22 second and come first, i keep getting 22.4) and the trophies seem very easy, though getting to level 60 will take a while. The length of the game lies in how long you like messing about with different cars and tracks and all the different modes.
Hmm, sounds a bit short to me still then. Guess GTS will be my first VR driving game in that case.

panda-zebra

I noped right out of the kitchen demo as soon as the zombie ran behind me.

I can't do the horror VR stuff. Too intense.

Maybe I was expecting too much, but at worst I felt a little creeped out and at times it honestly made me laugh. I'm not going to say I wasn't hesitant to check over my shoulder, and I'd already seen a lot of reaction vids so pretty much knew what I was going to see, but it was just so obvious and (literally at times) in your face that it wasn't really frightening.

Truly terrifying stuff happens out of the corner of the eye, whispers, half-seen things, not some tweeker come stabbing me in the leg with the obvious disconnect that has without a blade piercing my flesh. I found Here They Lie had me more on edge, but that could have been the terrible controls.

Glix

Maybe I was expecting too much, but at worst I felt a little creeped out and at times it honestly made me laugh. I'm not going to say I wasn't hesitant to check over my shoulder, and I'd already seen a lot of reaction vids so pretty much knew what I was going to see, but it was just so obvious and (literally at times) in your face that it wasn't really frightening.

Truly terrifying stuff happens out of the corner of the eye, whispers, half-seen things, not some tweeker come stabbing me in the leg with the obvious disconnect that has without a blade piercing my flesh. I found Here They Lie had me more on edge, but that could have been the terrible controls.

I would assume this is because you knew what was coming.

Everyone I have run the demo for who had no idea what was coming freaked the fuck right out.

Pejo

So I bought Driveclub VR and Until Dawn last night, and I have to say, Driveclub, at night, on a car with a full interior, was such a surreal experience. Even just driving under streetlights and watching the way the light reacted to the interior of the car. It's fucking crazy. Looking in the mirrors to see which way cars are coming up on you feels very real, and it's just a great experience. I did a casual drive along Scotland at night, and I saw a lit-up castle off to the left. I continued watching it and the way the lights reacted as I drove by, it was so damn cool.

That said, I definitely started feeling a bit queasy after about an hour and a half. It's a shame, but I had to call it a night. I really hope someone figures out a way to properly do vehicles without the motion sickness, because it really is an awesome experience as long as you don't get sick.

Did you activate VR mode from the main menu of the game? I didn't the first time I played it and had a similar reaction.

Then I turned it on...

robotrock

Banned

Agreed, Kitchen is lame.

kinggroin

Banned
My first run through with the PSVR I was kind of underwhelmed. I tried Drive Club (instant sickness, literally under 2 seconds into the race I had to force quit), Allumette (good), Battlezone (boring), Eve (short, not my thing anyway), Thumper (okay).

Next time through I tried Until Dawn (boring, but voice acting was pretty solid), Harmonix VR (better than I thought; the dance thing was pretty fun), Wayward Sky (solid) and most importantly Playroom VR, which is mindblowingly awesome.

I need full versions of the games in the Playroom suite, and devs need to take cues from those titles. They're the most fun I've had in VR, Vive experiences included.

You are Nintendo fan?

Playroom and stuff like Lucky's Tales made me wish more than ever that they'd embrace VR hardcore. Even with Wii level graphics (but higher res and AA'd) I'd be in heaven with their staple of games.

Hell imagine Paper Mario or Galaxy??

doby

For anyone who was put off or can't jump in at the current price point Amazon are now starting to resell their returns through Amazon Warehouse.

Currently going on for £314 but if you've got Amazon Student you currently get 20% off all Warehouse items (until 11th Nov) making it around £252.

This is Amazon UK btw.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I can't handle Until Dawn. I can deal with the scary and all that, my stomach does not like roller coasters and damn it feels real or my mind is tricking me.

This sucks cause I want to play more so bad.

grendelrt

I wasnt scared during Kitchen, but some people really have been that I have had try it. I picked up the full version of Until Dawn and it has had a couple really damn good jump scares in it though, I never jumped during the Kitchen, but I actually made a noise last night on Until Dawn on one jump scare.
If people have played it, it was on stage 3 I looked right then back left and the ghost was there leaned into my cart

grendelrt

I can't handle Until Dawn. I can deal with the scary and all that, my stomach does not like roller coasters and damn it feels real or my mind is tricking me.

This sucks cause I want to play more so bad.

Try looking in the direction the roller coaster is going, dont look like way off to the sides or something when its going downhill. I have found that helped me in Until Dawn and also Scavengers when jumping around.

Also , if you have a floor fan around turn it on and point it at you, this helps me a lot, I keep cooler and stay more comfortable.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.

Here They Lie is a Virtual Vomit Sim, of course it would be scarier :p

Matrix

Try looking in the direction the roller coaster is going, dont look like way off to the sides or something when its going downhill. I have found that helped me in Until Dawn and also Scavengers when jumping around.

Also , if you have a floor fan around turn it on and point it at you, this helps me a lot, I keep cooler and stay more comfortable.

Thanks for the tips, I'll for sure give it another go.

akileese

Speaking of roller coasters...Apparently Rollercoaster Dreams was stealth delayed 2 months. It was supposed to launch with PSVR (and I had completely forgotten about it) but now it shows 12/22/16.

e: They announced the delay a month back or so. They said it was to try and combat motion sickness people were getting after the demo. It will cost $20.

lt519

Scavengers Odyssey had a good end to it. I loved the movement and shooting. The games blurriness and resolution is just horrid though. Strained my eyes like crazy compared to something like Batman.

Looking forward to full titles like this.

Wollan

Playing Kitchen was the most intense three minutes I have ever experienced in entertainment. Lifelong horror fan and owned all the VR headsets back to Oculus DK1 yet this still really got to me. Rush of glee and adrenalin after it was done. A really strong and well made VR demo.

DjRalford

For anyone who was put off or can't jump in at the current price point Amazon are now starting to resell their returns through Amazon Warehouse.

Currently going on for £314 but if you've got Amazon Student you currently get 20% off all Warehouse items (until 11th Nov) making it around £252.

This is Amazon UK btw.

Wow, some people are gonna get a bargain and a half

PBY

Banned
Wow, some people are gonna get a bargain and a half

Yeah, seems like they're are plenty to go around. I was really nervous that this thing would be huge and I'd regret cancelling my pre-order, but they seem fairly easy to find.

I think I'ma hold off (the tech seems spotty, but moreso, the games aren't there for me yet), unless I see a great pre-owned deal.

They are mandatory for Batman VR and the Heist, two of the best experiences out there so far.
Batman VR can be played with the DS4. I used it to clean up on my remaining trophies, as it made those task much easier to zip through.

Unless you meant "mandatory" as in not the definition of the word. Or mandatory to having the best/truest/immersive VR experience.

Scavengers Odyssey had a good end to it. I loved the movement and shooting. The games blurriness and resolution is just horrid though.
Ah, so that wasn't just me. I thought maybe my lenses were getting fogged up and I just felt too lazy to take off the headset and clean them.

kinggroin

Banned
They are VERY important to some games.

Until Dawn is 100% better with them. If you use the dualshock your hands are "bound" together and you can't shoot in two directions at once.

Batman can be played without them

doby

Does anyone have some tips on how to remove the plastic cover on the lenses? I've stared at them under a light and can't seem to even find the edges of the protector.

Just for reference this is what the protective films look like...

I have no idea why some never came with them, I'd feel a little cheated if mine didn't have them (yes I still haven't removed them).

Glix

Batman VR can be played with the DS4. I used it to clean up on my remaining trophies, as it made those task much easier to zip through.

Unless you meant "mandatory" as in not the definition of the word. Or mandatory to having the best/truest/immersive VR experience

No I was wrong. I didn't realize you can use the dual shock.

Its SOOOOOO immersive with move can't imagine not using them.

LiK

Just for reference this is what the protective films look like...

I have no idea why some never came with them, I'd feel a little cheated if mine didn't have them (yes I still haven't removed them).

please don't tell me you kept them on during actual use.

bennibop

Thought I would share my top 5 PSVR experiences so far.

1.) Rigs - Looking down and seeing myself in my mech (gets me everytime!)
2.) Rez - AreaX - All those neon particle effects, its like being on LSD.
3.) Battlezone - Reliving my childhood fantasy of being in Tron.
4.) Batman - Pretty much all of it
but the mirror part in particular!!
5.) Allumenette - Blew my mind, VR is definitely the future of animation (at the very least) in Cinema/ at home.

What about everyone else?

No I was wrong. I didn't realize you can use the dual shock.

Its SOOOOOO immersive with move can't imagine not using them.
I agree 100%! It's hardly the same game using the DS4, to be honest. The controller really does take away a lot of the experience.

Waveset

Had an email from Amazon about Eagle Flight:

Previous estimated arrival date: November 16 2016 - November 18 2016
New estimated arrival date: November 09 2016 - November 11 2016
Looking forward to this.

doby

please don't tell me you kept them on during actual use.

Are you kidding, of course I do! Is there really that much difference when you remove them? If anything they would add the tiniest amount of blue hue but I haven't noticed it.

Zalusithix

I agree 100%! It's hardly the same game using the DS4, to be honest. The controller really does take away a lot of the experience.

But they're just motion controllers. That fad has already sailed. Nobody wants those waggle sticks!

Great to see people experiencing first hand how much tracked controllers bring to the picture in VR.

KORNdoggy

maybe you're like those people who can't see stereoscopic 3D as well as others or at all? the depth is vital to VR, if you can't experience that then it's no better then a 360 youtube video playing on vita strapped to your face.

LiK

Are you kidding, of course I do! Is there really that much difference when you remove them? If anything they would add the tiniest amount of blue hue but I haven't noticed it.

there's minor residue on them and they also fog up. you're not supposed to keep them on. bet you the games will look better without them.

KORNdoggy

btw, if sony don't do a "VR seat" in their upcoming conferences i'll be disappointed. they can literally make us feel like we're there so why wouldn't they?

kinggroin

Banned
maybe you're like those people who can't see stereoscopic 3D as well as others or at all? the depth is vital to VR, if you can't experience that then it's no better then a 360 youtube video playing on vita strapped to your face.

C'mon, that's not even close.
You still have e full head tracking within a 3D space, and more importantly, world scale.

Things are the proper size.

hesido

Alright, so after trying all available demos, I kinda made the weird call to make Harmonix VR my first VR purchase. There are several other games I am really interested in, but for now I would just like to focus on this, as I read some reviews before I bought it and most people are trashing it to hell and back.

The easel mode is genuinely awesome and the best VR feeling I have encountered so far. Its a 3D drawing application with the strokes reacting to the music. To get the bad out of the way: The rest of Harmonix VR is kinda... pointless, which is also the reason why most reviews turned out so incredibly negative. Most of the other stuff is actually pretty shitty, so I will likely never do much in those modes, but I came back to that 3D drawing again and again and again. Drawing around me feels so much more vivid in VR than any of the other VR experiences managed to be so far. Its still a bit janky and probably overpriced for what it is, but omg do I love this ... lets call it application instead of game.

This is making me want Dreams VR sooooo much. If you are a creative type and you like doodling around with different brushes and whatnot, definitely try the Harmonix VR demo. Unfortunately, you will need to finish the pointless first level first, but in the Easel mode, you can already check if this is something for you or not.

I made some screenshots to share, but keep in mind that its of course not even remotely as interesting to look at them as screenshots (and drawing them yourself is even better). I usually tend to load up my playlist with stuff from the USB stick and draw something that the first random song inspires me to.
Vxb4vbI.jpg
H2zqROR.jpg

g62D7DL.jpg
bjOBhey.jpg

2XJgoqK.jpg

I really wish Harmonix would continue to expand on this, as this is genuinely the only "game" so far that drags me out of reality into this little VR world that I interact with.

If they nail a good sense of building stuff in Dreams, that's going to be the ultimate VR app for me. Nothing should come close.

KORNdoggy

C'mon, that's not even close.
You still have e full head tracking within a 3D space, and more importantly, world scale.

Things are the proper size.

without 3D you wouldn't have anywhere near the sense of scale you do with it. seriously. view a video/image that isn't stereoscopic with a VR headset and tell me its anywhere near as impressive.

While this would be a cool idea, I'd rather watch the newly announced titles in full HD.

if you're streaming you're not getting that anyway. that's what the high quality downloads are for after the conference has ended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom