• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

monodlee

I spent 5 minutes sticking my face in the Water Ball for the Ocean Descent Demo. You can hear in the headphones like you are sticking your head under water. Awesome! I also noticed if you swing your controller through it, the water splash follows your controller. The point being, it reacted the way I thought it would.

From what i can tell, if you breathe out audibly (blow) when your head is in the waterball, bubbles come out of your "mouth". I also just like holding the controller against the luge ball and seeing/feeling the grind. oh and hitting the bullet shells for london heist. and if you wait long enough, slow mo bullets start flying at you and you can dodge and deflect them. those menus are all great fun.

eFKac

Watching my country's team getting slapped by Real Madrid in Champions League.

Sony's marketing PSVR on the side banners :)

Tumle

I'm not being disingenuous, I've basically said that I feel that PSVR is broken as it is, their is no motive other than to fix my problems so that I can play the games I have. I own a Gear VR, CV1, and a DK2 and yes I have experienced drift even on the CV1 from time to time, most recently in lucky's tale. I don't need to do a google search to talk about my own experiences with these devices lol.

To be even more clear, drift on my CV1, Gear, the Vive, and the even my DK2 is not a problem. I very rarely have the problem with CV1 and my Gear VR. I've had to recenter on occasion with the Gear VR, but I have never experienced drift as bad as PSVR. Something is wrong here, and judging from all the people with similar issues it's not just a faulty unit that's the problem. I hope Sony makes a statement or something soon otherwise I'm going to assume that it won't be fixed and have to send it back. I love the games I've managed to get working perfect, but I can't stick with PSVR if it means I have to take a chance on every game I buy. I would be happy with the recentering button at least doing what it should be doing but even that doesn't work and renders certain games unplayable for me.
I have no drift.. so not sure what's going on.. also have a vive.. haven't tried the moves yet though..

From what i can tell, if you breathe out audibly (blow) when your head is in the waterball, bubbles come out of your "mouth". I also just like holding the controller against the luge ball and seeing/feeling the grind. oh and hitting the bullet shells for london heist. and if you wait long enough, slow mo bullets start flying at you and you can dodge and deflect them. those menus are all great fun.

So awesome, I have to tell my girls tonight. My daughter spent like 20 minutes playing with all those menus lol.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Yikes, throughout the days I've been missing any impressions except one person who seemed to like it ha

It just pissed off both me and my husband and we're trying to get it refunded.

Shiiit. I should've read further down before buying. I just saw someone post that it's available and went straight to the PS Store :(

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I spent 5 minutes sticking my face in the Water Ball for the Ocean Descent Demo. You can hear in the headphones like you are sticking your head under water. Awesome! I also noticed if you swing your controller through it, the water splash follows your controller. The point being, it reacted the way I thought it would.

I go to the Dodgeball one and smack that ball around for minutes at a time.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
So I've gotta be honest and I am feeling a tinge of buyers remorse. I'm really happy with the overall product tbh, but the last few days have just been rough with the tracking, and stuff like that kind of weighs on me when I go to play it considering I'm not sure what version I'm going to get. I've found if I sit within 4 or so feet of the camera that's pretty much the only way the swimming stops, but anything with moves gets all wacky so easily at that distance. It's fine for headtracking only, but like I've said in the past I think I've just gotta shelf the moves for now and hope sony releases a better camera or something.

Shiiit. I should've read further down before buying. I just saw someone post that it's available and went straight to the PS Store :(

Just got our "one time gesture of goodwill" refund on it.

I just got excited myself because I wanted a more social experience..... perhaps Wolf Within in early Dec. will be that game.

Markew001

So I know some people started having issues that previously didn't have any (tracking, swimmy, swaying headset, jittery moves.) First night and following day, no problems. Around the third night or so started having the "GiantBomb issues." No changes to my lighting or environment... I've power-cycled the PS4, re-calibrated, done just about everything I can think of.

Tonight I will try to rebuild the database and see if that does anything. It's all very strange.. I welcome any other suggestions!

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
So I know some people started having issues that previously didn't have any (tracking, swimmy, swaying headset, jittery moves.) First night and following day, no problems. Around the third night or so started having the "GiantBomb issues." No changes to my lighting or environment... I've power-cycled the PS4, re-calibrated, done just about everything I can think of.

Tonight I will try to rebuild the database and see if that does anything. It's all very strange.. I welcome any other suggestions!

This has been my experience, although I'm not convinced I didn't have it the first few days and just didn't realize it due to being so amazed by the experience in general. Let me know if anything works for you. My best results have been sitting much closer- as in about 4 feet away.

SuperHyperCube ...look behind you as soon as a block goes through the opening. Fubar, I tell ya :)

You'll see the square, where your block went through, disappear in the distance, right behind you...!

Holy shit that felt weird and awesome!! Never experienced that until now in VR!

Qwark

Harmonix VR says it works with any music, I guess you can put MP3s on a USB stick, plug it in and away you go?

Yeah, it works with any MP3 on a USB. I haven't pulled the trigger myself, but I'm tempted to for a good music visualizer. It sucks that it doesn't work with Spotify, but I could see how licensing with that would be tough.

Grinchy

Banned
I just tried the cinema mode to play some Bloodborne. Kinda cool but I'm not sure if I'll be using it too often. I thought it was really weird how the screen was slowly creeping to the left on me. Doesn't cinema mode not have any tracking?

so sportsbar is bad because of the tracking?

For me personally it was a confusing interface and navigation system initially......I mean I don't really know where to start, it was like everything was bad after that.

It's much too easy to get out of the camera's range with the Move controllers, throwing darts is probably one of the more frustrating things you'll ever do........I feel like this is one of those bad games that people really need to try to understand haha

However it was pretty funny how everyone in the blurry bar were shuffling their feet like they were too shy to say hello

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Decided to use my lunch break to try out Sports Bar. Apparently there's something wrong with one of my Move controllers. It will turn on and connect to my ps4, but none of the inputs work. In the game it just shows up where my head is and doesn't move. When I turn it on, it doesn't prompt me to pick a user like the other one does.

What the damn fuck? I've wasted 30 minutes messing with it. Worked last night. I can turn on the ps4 with it but that's literally it. Plugging into USB makes no difference. Is this thing dead already? I don't see any other way to troubleshoot.

EDIT: Reset button on the back. Tried it like ten times. Eventually it worked, I guess. Just in time for the end of my lunch break.

Markew001

This has been my experience, although I'm not convinced I didn't have it the first few days and just didn't realize it due to being so amazed by the experience in general. Let me know if anything works for you. My best results have been sitting much closer- as in about 4 feet away.

I think I'm about at 4 feet now, 5 at the most. Specifically the Job Simulator DEMO was damn near flawless but once I purchased and played the full game was when I really started to notice it.

If anything works for me I'll keep you posted.

Qwark

I just tried the cinema mode to play some Bloodborne. Kinda cool but I'm not sure if I'll be using it too often. I thought it was really weird how the screen was slowly creeping to the left on me. Doesn't cinema mode not have any tracking?

I think Cinema mode uses tracking for the medium and large size screens, but not the small screen.

I have the creeping left issue when I play Thumper, is there a way to avoid it?

I'm gonna buy Sports Bar and I'll report back on any tracking issues. I already know the Darts game is F'd up but I mainly want it for Pool and Air Hockey.

Is the full version of DC any better than the Demo? I'm not feeling sick or anything but the game is just not very good looking in the demo. Blurry and low resolution make it so I can't spend $40 and feel good about it.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I go to the Dodgeball one and smack that ball around for minutes at a time.

LOL. I do that too. It's so satisfying. They could have easily made a great mini game with that.

It only uses the giros. Luckily mine have no drift at all.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I wonder if the tracking is related to the headset or PU overheating? Hearing people mention it working fine at first and then degrading makes me wonder. Also others have said it gets really hot.

Has anyone tried turning the PU full off for a while (disconnect from power to be sure), or blowing air onto it to help keep it cool.

Note that you don't need to put the camera on the TV. If you have a telescoping stand (like a mic stand) that you can mount the camera on it and point it at a convenient open area, you'll get the best results. You can then easily adjust the stand up or down for standing/seated experiences.

Correct me if I'm wrong, so I can mount the camera toward an open space and it doesn't have to be facing me at all?

Glix

Geez, there is so much content for this thing there are many compatible games that I totally missed and haven't even heard people mention. Any impressions of:

Gunjack
Kismet
Volume

One more thing, does anyone else have a big squareish head & wear glasses that can confirm this fits? with or without glasses that is.

I have a big head (like really big - I never wear hats) and i wear glasses, and i have no issues. The headset is really comfortable and the head strap can be extended much farther than the length of my giant noggin. It's super comfortable.

I wonder if the tracking is related to the headset or PU overheating? Hearing people mention it working fine at first and then degrading makes me wonder. Also others have said it gets really hot.

Has anyone tried turning the PU full off for a while (disconnect from power to be sure), or blowing air onto it to help keep it cool.

If I have any issues it is always due to daylight. When everything has been going perfect/fine I have a quick peek at the camera image and make a mental note and when things start to go a bit I look at the camera image again and there is always a large shift from the type of light than what it was. I have found if the image is anything from a flat white/yellow to a detailed image with a few softer reds then it is always good, it is when the reds become dark then the issues pick up, if they go black then it is all over the place.

vpance

Decided to use my lunch break to try out Sports Bar. Apparently there's something wrong with one of my Move controllers. It will turn on and connect to my ps4, but none of the inputs work. In the game it just shows up where my head is and doesn't move. When I turn it on, it doesn't prompt me to pick a user like the other one does.

What the damn fuck? I've wasted 30 minutes messing with it. Worked last night. I can turn on the ps4 with it but that's literally it. Plugging into USB makes no difference. Is this thing dead already? I don't see any other way to troubleshoot.

I had this problem yesterday. You need to use a pen or whatever and push in the small reset button near the bottom of the controller. Hold it in for a sec or two and then reinit the controller by plugging it into the PS4s USB.

Glix

I asked earlier, but the thread moves fast maybe I'll get some bites now...

Does anyone have any experience with any of the Move "pistol shells"?

I really want a pair for Until Dawn and would love to hear any experience/impressions.

@ Naudi - You are very correct.

Shoeless

Geez, there is so much content for this thing there are many compatible games that I totally missed and haven't even heard people mention. Any impressions of:

Gunjack
Kismet
Volume

Kismet's not currently available for use--at least not in North America--but that's supposed to be more of an app for people that want to mess with a daily horoscope/tarot card/fortune telling experience.

Gunjack is a shooter, so you pretty much know what you're getting into. I don't know much about Volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom