• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grinchy

Banned
I decided to try World War Toons out again. The first night of playing VR, I couldn't even take 2 steps in the training mode without needing to rip the headset off. Today I felt nothing from it.

I don't know if it's a "VR legs" situation or not, but I'm definitely gonna play it for real later. I was jumping around, sprinting, using the twin stick shooter control scheme, riding the rockets, ect. No issues anymore.

zoukka

Man I wish I hadn't used Vive before, many of the demos look like crap compared to stuff I played from steam. Especially the ocean demos, they look like PS2 games compared to the incredible ocean experiences you can play with Vive, the difference is like night and day.

Battlezone seemed the most consistent of all the PSVR games, nice visuals and good controls. Rigs was fine too, but didn't excite me for some reason. Rest of the free demo's were super forgettable. Driveclub quickly gave me motion sickness and so did EvE as soon as you rolled the spaceship. No way I could ever pay for any of the games except maybe Battlezone.

Kitchen demo was cool, but you can see it was made super fast. I wonder how the VR mode in RE7 is handled...

VR videos are useless on PSVR until they add 3D support. I can't believe it's not patched in yet, the 360-videos in just 2D mode look bad and give a wrong impression of how great actual 3D VR video playback is.

Shoeless

VR videos are useless on PSVR until they add 3D support. I can't believe it's not patched in yet, the 360-videos in just 2D mode look bad and give a wrong impression of how great actual 3D VR video playback is.

The bizarre part is the 3D VR video playback is clearly in there already, since apps like VRvideo have 3D VR videos that already work.

Fliesen

Man I wish I hadn't used Vive before, many of the demos look like crap compared to stuff I played from steam. Especially the ocean demos, they look like PS2 games compared to the incredible ocean experiences you can play with Vive, the difference is like night and day.

Battlezone seemed the most consistent of all the PSVR games, nice visuals and good controls. Rigs was fine too, but didn't excite me for some reason. Rest of the free demo's were super forgettable. Driveclub quickly gave me motion sickness and so did EvE as soon as you rolled the spaceship. No way I could ever pay for any of the games except maybe Battlezone.

Kitchen demo was cool, but you can see it was made super fast. I wonder how the VR mode in RE7 is handled...

Thankfully i haven't either. It's like taking a kitten who grew up on a farm to be an indoor cat :p

So, i just played the "platformer" (robot rescue) in Playroom VR. it's a fantastic proof of concept for platformers. For people who hate camera controls in platformers - like my girlfriend - who, for that reason, rather play 2D (or 2.5D) games, this seems like a great option. it controls really well and it looks rather charming. The 3D sound is well used for discovering those "secret" robots.

vpance

No, I was making the point that all VR games should have a demo (just like all VR games have to hit a solid 60fps minimum) so you can check out how it performs for you before laying down the dough (in regards to sports bar). I used job simulator as an example, saying I decided against buying it because the demo was swimmy (tracking-wise) and yeh its during panning. Makes me feel peculiar for hours after.

I did notice it seemed a bit more blurry during panning than some other games. But I'm thankful my tolerance for any swimmyness is high. Thing is, I think I'm not experiencing as much presence as other people might be.

Like on the rollercoaster in Until Dawn, I kinda felt the first drop like in you would in real life, but after that I acclimated to the illusion and didn't get those g force feels anymore.

Definitely agree with you on the demo thing.

Cynn

I don't know if it's a "VR legs" situation or not, but I'm definitely gonna play it for real later. I was jumping around, sprinting, using the twin stick shooter control scheme, riding the rockets, ect. No issues anymore.
That's awesome! As someone who wants devs to go twinstick in more VR applications I'm glad to keep reading about people quickly synergizing with VR environments.

World War Toons with Twin Stick is an amazing experience. Playing in comfort modes is an absolute, un-fun mess.

Maligna

Banned
I wonder what the percentage of people having drift versus not having drift are? I haven't experienced it at all, but then again I play in a pitch black room. Only problem I ever have is when I hold move controllers in front of the headset sometimes my "hands" get lost.

Also, people keep asking me about the screen quality. I've been telling them that PSVR compared to an HDTV looks like a 3DS screen compared to a Vita. Does that sound about right to you guys?

robotrock

Banned
I wonder what the percentage of people having drift versus not having drift are? I haven't experienced it at all, but then again I play in a pitch black room. Only problem I ever have is when I hold move controllers in front of the headset someone's my"hands" get lost.

Also, people keep asking me about the screen quality. I've been telling them that PSVR compared to an HDTV looks like a 3DS screen compared to a Vita. Does that sound about right to you guys?

I think the difference between an HDTV and a VR headset is little more drastic than that.

I get drift issues in cinematic mode, but that's it. No actual VR games give me drift.

n0razi

Is that better or worse? Haha.

Its acceptable (but so is the Vive and Rift). The 3DS is eye cancer. The lack of SDE helps IMMENSELY on the PSVR, its miles ahead of the Rift and Vive in that sense and its kind of like you have blurry vision as opposed to seeing actually blocky pixels.

doby

Like on the rollercoaster in Until Dawn, I kinda felt the first drop like in you would in real life, but after that I acclimated to the illusion and didn't get those g force feels anymore.

I'm the same although my tolerance for it seems to reset the next time I play it and then it just gets less the longer I play through that play session. Thing is there is no g-force (obviously) so all you're getting is a tiny shot of adrenalin that makes you slightly lightheaded.

Yeah it's weird that the PS4 menu drifts and snaps around for me but the games don't :/

Cinema mode relies on the gyros whereas the games use light tracking as well. They should really give you a 'high accuracy' option in cinema mode that utilises the light tracking as well. That or just fix the gyros, I'm sure improvements will be coming.

TentPole

I've just this week bought 2 Venom Move pistol housings specifically for Until Dawn. Whilst I've only tried the demo so far, the results aren't great. Whilst with a bit of effort you can get the on screen arms to resemble how you're holding the pistols, the reload button when using Move controllers is the Move button itself - making it an absolute nightmare to reload as your thumb is not hovering over the button as it would be if you were just holding the Move controllers.

I'm hoping to drop some feedback to the devs to see about getting proper pistol mode in

Shaking the controller to reload feels much better than using the move boutton even without a pistol attachment.

Ammogeddon

I wonder what the percentage of people having drift versus not having drift are? I haven't experienced it at all, but then again I play in a pitch black room. Only problem I ever have is when I hold move controllers in front of the headset sometimes my "hands" get lost.

Getting drift to the left and right on VR worlds and job simulator. I cannot find a way to fix this other than to restart the game. I have no idea what can be causing it and not sure if it's the game or the setup that's the problem.

ryseing

Geez, there is so much content for this thing there are many compatible games that I totally missed and haven't even heard people mention. Any impressions of:

Volume

Volume is a really good stealth game and VR just makes it better. Both the original game and the Coda expansion are playable in VR, though I haven't played Coda yet.

Afrikan

I thought the Ocean demo was AMAZING... Shark looked realistic. I liked it so much so I want to show my family and creep them out.

so with you saying that, now I'm curious which Vive game looks night and day better. What's the title?

KORNdoggy

5009420213_686b609731_o.jpg

Kinda tempted to grab 2 of these (or cheapy versions of similar things) for until dawn. There wouldn't be issues with using them would there?

Also, do we know if farpoint will let us use the sharpshooter with nav and move controller? Or do you have to buy their new thing?

I get drift issues in cinematic mode, but that's it. No actual VR games give me drift.

Yep, I haven't had any drifting or tracking issues really at all during VR Games. But when I was watching Netflix and trying out Cinematic Mode, I was getting the drift to the left. It happens so subtle, you dont visually see it happening. You just suddenly realize it is somewhat rotated and off to the left. Then when you recalibrate, you realize how much it was off.

Kalentan

So is anyone else's Brookhaven Campaign glitched? I can't get past the first level because the enemy who is supposed to rush through the wooden barricade never does. He just stands out of sight and growls.

Anyone know how to trigger them to come?

doby

Kinda temoted to grab 2 of these (or cheapy versions of similar things) for until dawn. There wouldn't be issues with using them would there?

You'll have to do sharp flicks to reload as the move button is not exactly easy to get to with them. It's far less consistent than just pressing the move button.

Is that something that can be fixed without a hardware revision? Can software improve the gyros? I hope that's not a dumb question.. I honestly don't know!

Absolutely. It unanimously shifts to the left so surely something software-wise can be done to lessen the drift, I don't think it'll ever be eradicated completely unless they use the light tracking too.

robotrock

Banned

Kinda tempted to grab 2 of these (or cheapy versions of similar things) for until dawn. There wouldn't be issues with using them would there?

Also, do we know if farpoint will let us use the sharpshooter with nav and move controller? Or do you have to buy their new thing?

They've been demoing Farpoint with a Nav+Move controller in that old Sharp Shooter thing. I expect Nav support.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
No, I was making the point that all VR games should have a demo (just like all VR games have to hit a solid 60fps minimum) so you can check out how it performs for you before laying down the dough (in regards to sports bar). I used job simulator as an example, saying I decided against buying it because the demo was swimmy (tracking-wise) and yeh its during panning. Makes me feel peculiar for hours after.
Before you write it off, try powering the PS4 off (fully, don't just use res tmode) then power it back on, and try the demo again. At some point I had that problem with everything being swimmy in every demo from the demo disc I tried. Power cycleing made a night and day difference, literally.

If you leave the machine on playing VR games for some time, the tracking deteriorates progressively, until it gets really bad. This is something I feel people need to know pretty much even before setting anything up, as it could make them think their system at first worked fine, then malfunctioned.

zoukka

I thought the Ocean demo was AMAZING... Shark looked realistic. I liked it so much so I want to show my family and creep them out.

so with you saying that, now I'm curious which Vive game looks night and day better. What's the title?

TheBLU or something like that. And I wasn't exaggerating. That game looks literally two generations ahead of the ocean demo on PSRV :/

ckohler

It's possible that Until Dawn expects you to hold the Move controller at an upward angle and so that could mean that the gun would having you pointing down in the game. However, I could be wrong and it may calibrate itself straight when you start the game. We won't know until someone tries.

Shoeless

They've been demoing Farpoint with a Nav+Move controller in that old Sharp Shooter thing. I expect Nav support.

I didn't realize they were still using the old sharp shooter rig for Farpoint. I just assumed they would be using the new controller gun. Interesting. I've still got a Nav controller lying around. Maybe it's not ready for the trash can after all.

If you don't enjoy it you can return it or sell it. I don't see why you keep it if everything is so inferior. Fortunately for me, this was my first VR experience.

rSpooky

There is much hyperbole in his statement really. My friend as a vive and I used it multiple times and I did not feel that way at all. And when he was over and tested it the first two comments he made were about how there was less screen door effect and the overall IQ.
this is not stating that PSVR can compete with vive, Room scaling alone puts that out of the question, but really.. PS2?? Thats too much.

phant0m

Doesn't rush of blood make you use the move button to reload? Looks like that would be awkward with that.

There is much hyperbole in his statement really. My friend as a vive and I used it multiple times and I did not feel that way at all. And when he was over and tested it the first two comments he made were about how there was less screen door effect and the overall IQ.
this is not stating that PSVR can compete with vive, Room scaling alone puts that out of the question, but really.. PS2?? Thats too much.

People forget how bad PS2 actually looked. Things look a lot more ps3 like to me, especially games that don't have AA.

Naudi

Banned
Anyone following Tethered here? Think it's out soon and looks really cool. Hopefully new releases keep coming and can deliver a meatier experience. I'm loving it so far and even though I thought Batman was awesome it kind of worries me that it's priced at 20$. I don't want 1 hour games for 20$.

Slixshot

Banned
I bought RIGS, but can't play it until tomorrow :'(

The crazy thing is, having gotten the device on Saturday, I'm starting to have my memories jostled around due to time... My mind is remembering my experiences as fairly real. That's rad.

Shoeless

Any following Tethered here? Think it's out soon and looks really cool. Hopefully new releases keep coming and can deliver a meatier experience. I'm loving it so far and even though I thought Batman was awesome it kind of worries me that it's priced at 20$. I don't want 1 hour games for 20$.

I'm keeping an eye on it, but I'm waiting for reviews. I think a god game in the vein of Populous or Black & White would be pretty impressive in VR, but there needs to be some substance to it.

I cringe every time I try to take the headset off by grabbing the actual faceplate part. I am used to doing that with my Rift.

Naudi

Banned
I'm keeping an eye on it, but I'm waiting for reviews. I think a god game in the vein of Populous or Black & White would be pretty impressive in VR, but there needs to be some substance to it.

Those are my thought so far too. I watched the 14min video that has been posted here and it seems to have promise. Hopefully it delivers.

lt519

Getting drift to the left and right on VR worlds and job simulator. I cannot find a way to fix this other than to restart the game. I have no idea what can be causing it and not sure if it's the game or the setup that's the problem.

You can go to devices and then ps camera and readjust it without leaving the game.

I find that if I'm starting to drift I look way to the right and then hold options, it tends to snap it back to the middle. Once I'm too far gone though o have to use the ps camera readjustment.

Slixshot

Banned
Anyone following Tethered here? Think it's out soon and looks really cool. Hopefully new releases keep coming and can deliver a meatier experience. I'm loving it so far and even though I thought Batman was awesome it kind of worries me that it's priced at 20$. I don't want 1 hour games for 20$.

Comes out next week!

Source: https://twitter.com/secretsorcery

Shoeless

Those are my thought so far too. I watched the 14min video that has been posted here and it seems to have promise. Hopefully it delivers.

Yeah, I've seen a bit of that. I'm concerned about the day/night cycle aspect. If it were a more traditional, "sedate" god game experience where you play at your own pace, my wife would be 100% on board as she loves games like Civilization and Tropico on consoles. But if there's more an action-y "fight the evil horde every night" aspect, that'll pretty much lose her interest. She's interested in building, not defending.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
That's my experience with Vive vs PSVR point for point. Controller tracking is noticebaly more precise with Vive and you can walk around far more (you can still make a few steps and turn around with PSVR though). PSVR is far more comfortable, and my face doesn't sweat with it at all like it did with Vive. PSVR has no light streaks, and screendoor is less noticeable, but it has more aliasing. As for the demos, I didn't try much with Vive, but from what I had on offer, there wasn't anything resembling a full scale production like Batman, Rez, Rigs or Until Dawn, so it's hard to compare. I did try one underwater demo where you're standing on a sunken galleon and a giant whale swims by, and that demo was cool, but I don't think the PSVR underwater demo is any worse, and it's much more dramatic.

Regarding Battlezone... For people who own the full game...is it worth it?

Gonna trade in Rigs btw...tried to love it and played it again and again , but the game makes me sick :/

Yea I'm loving Battlezone but it's hard as fuck. I have yet to complete a short easy campaign.

Excellent game though

I was playing the Allumete demo, and everything looked sooo blurry. As Iooked closer at objects, it became blurrier! The strange thing was, if I shut one eye and looked through the other, everything appeared crystal clear.

Is there some kind of fine tuning I'm missing?

DjRalford

I was playing the Allumete demo, and everything looked sooo blurry. As Iooked closer at objects, it became blurrier! The strange thing was, if I shut one eye and looked through the other, everything appeared crystal clear.

tray doing the eye to eye distance, and when setting the headset up set it up one eye at a time.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I badly want an RPG on PSVR.

There's a IPD setup thing you can do in the settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom