• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
SuperHyperCube ...look behind you as soon as a block goes through the opening. Fubar, I tell ya :)

You'll see the square, where your block went through, disappear in the distance, right behind you...!

Holy shit that felt weird and awesome!! Never experienced that until now in VR!
At PSX last year Super Hypercube was the first game I got to play in VR. And as soon as I did the same experience you just shared I was sold. Immediately. Without a second thought. I am so glad that the rest of the VR experiences I've had remain true to that same moment of wonder.

Speaking of wonder, how do you play with the floating balls in VR Worlds? I didn't even realize that was a thing. And all of them are so pretty!

I asked earlier, but the thread moves fast maybe I'll get some bites now...

Does anyone have any experience with any of the Move "pistol shells"?

I really want a pair for Until Dawn and would love to hear any experience/impressions.

@ Naudi - You are very correct.

I have two sharp shooters, I'll try them when i get home.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
LOL. I do that too. It's so satisfying. They could have easily made a great mini game with that.

Speaking of wonder, how do you play with the floating balls in VR Worlds? I didn't even realize that was a thing. And all of them are so pretty!

It's actually the first thing I have people do that try PSVR out for the first time. It helps to get them use to interacting with something and then following it around. It seems to get people use to their space in the room and how you can actually turn around 360 degrees for good effect.

Without it people just stare forward as if it's a normal 2D TV screen lol.

Fusebox

Banned
I'm seeing a few complaints about the cabling, mine turned out fairly neat. The PS4 and breakout box are side by side in the AV cabinet and the main headset extension cable runs under my coffee table and goes to my couch where I plug in the headset. When I'm finished I put away the headset and tuck the extension cable under the table.

I have two sharp shooters, I'll try them when i get home.

I haven't even bothered to try my sharpshooter yet, it's just too heavy to hold in one hand for extended shooting sessions. I'd love a pistol variant!

At PSX last year Super Hypercube was the first game I got to play in VR. And as soon as I did the same experience you just shared I was sold. Immediately. Without a second thought. I am so glad that the rest of the VR experiences I've had remain true to that same moment of wonder.

Those balls are seriously the highlight of VR Worlds to me, just reach out and mess around with them :)

Glix

Kismet's not currently available for use--at least not in North America--but that's supposed to be more of an app for people that want to mess with a daily horoscope/tarot card/fortune telling experience.

Gunjack is a shooter, so you pretty much know what you're getting into. I don't know much about Volume.

Thanks. Yeah, I know what Kismet is...

It's the app that will get my girl to try this thing, lol!

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I had this problem yesterday. You need to use a pen or whatever and push in the small reset button near the bottom of the controller. Hold it in for a sec or two and then reinit the controller by plugging it into the PS4s USB.

Got it! I tried it a handful of times before it finally worked. Maybe I wasn't pushing in far enough or something. Thanks!

Spent about 5 minutes in Sports Bar. It seemed a bit janky, I guess, but nothing too bad. Took a couple pool shots, threw a couple bottles, had a decent round of air hockey with the ai. The darts were hard to throw accurately, for sure. I did manage to hit the board a couple times though!

Weevilone

I played my first go with Driveclub VR demo. Wow, after like 2 laps I got woozy and didn't have any desire to play further. I doubt I put the headset back on today.

Looking forward to trying some other things, but the drift and debris on the right side are problems. Realized I actually have 2 pieces of debris on right side, rather than 1.

Glix

When I play Rigs I start getting really really hot and then break out into a sweat.

Is that motion sickness? I'm not throwing up or even queasy, but something feels.. off.

Is this normal? If I keep playing will I get sick?

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
When I play Rigs I start getting really really hot and then break out into a sweat.

Is that motion sickness? I'm not throwing up or even queasy, but something feels.. off.

I normally sweat profusely. Like, people feel the need to point out to me how bad I'm sweating and ask me if I'm OK. I've only had a couple instances of moderate motion sickness, but none really involved sweating. Might have something to do with the fact that I've got a fan constantly blowing on me though. I thought that might be a good idea.

Apples_89

Just for reference this is what the protective films look like...

I have no idea why some never came with them, I'd feel a little cheated if mine didn't have them (yes I still haven't removed them).

Yeah, that is definitely not on mine. It sucks cause I'm pretty sure mine shipped with a small scratch on the right lens which I was hoping would be gone once I removed the 'cover'. Oh well, it's not noticeable when I'm using it so it's not that big an issue. Thanks for the reference photo!

Glix

I normally sweat profusely. Like, people feel the need to point out to me how bad I'm sweating and ask me if I'm OK. I've only had a couple instances of moderate motion sickness, but none really involved sweating. Might have something to do with the fact that I've got a fan constantly blowing on me though. I thought that might be a good idea.

My hands sweat like crazy when I game but this is totally different. I get really warm in my core, like REALLY warm, and then it starts branching throughout my body. It's very noticeable and only happens when I play Rigs so far.

Shoeless

It could just mean that you're getting very focused on the game and getting excited. With your face enclosed like that, any rise in body temperature from going into "fight or flight mode" is going to result in sweating and even foggy lenses.

I don't usually get that way when playing, but I notice it has happened once in a while when I play the scary games and my alarm level elevates. So far only Unitil Dawn and Here They Lie have consistently caused this reaction for me.

Got my PSVR today from Amazon guys!!! Again Thank you to everyone who helped me out :)

Only bad things is a have evening college today but did a perfect first time setup in my living room and have no drift or controller jitter and no messy cables!

It's perfect guys and the resolution is better than what I expected, text is a little hard to read though.

Spent 5 minutes in PSVR Worlds title screen just smacking and dodging the dangerball everywhere xD

At least when I get home everything I had queue up will be downloaded.

Is SportBarVR really that bad?

I wanted to hang out with you guys and thank you personally and play some pool.

doby

I played my first go with Driveclub VR demo. Wow, after like 2 laps I got woozy and didn't have any desire to play further. I doubt I put the headset back on today.

Looking forward to trying some other things, but the drift and debris on the right side are problems. Realized I actually have 2 pieces of debris on right side, rather than 1.

Is the debris actually inside the unit?

Sportsbar is a janky mess. Not even in a fun way. Waste of 20 bucks

When it works it's fantastic. I think the menu setup needs a lot of work. Otherwise I was able to play a few games of just about everything. Playing air hockey, skeeball and pool worked well.

Darts is broke. It's definitely janky overall but it's fun for me.

Markew001

Kismet's not currently available for use--at least not in North America--but that's supposed to be more of an app for people that want to mess with a daily horoscope/tarot card/fortune telling experience.

Gunjack is a shooter, so you pretty much know what you're getting into. I don't know much about Volume.

Kismet should be available as of last week, at least according to PSN:

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/apps/kismet/cid=UP0545-CUSA06150_00-KISMETPS4ENG0000

When it works it's fantastic. I think the menu setup needs a lot of work. Otherwise I was able to play a few games of just about everything. Playing air hockey, skeeball and pool worked well.

The skeeball is was what I wanted to play the most and it is not smooth at all. You throw a ball and it bounces all over the screen. I was in a lobby with 6 people and that was the only part that seemed really cool. Not sure if we can talk to each other though.

-EDIT-
Oh yeah..darts..they just fall on the floor!!

SuperHyperCube is really awesome!! Game isn't cheap but I keep coming back. And to look behind you and see the squares flying out of sight behind you is damn awesome :)

The floating balls can be manipulated with your DS4.

The skeeball is was what I wanted to play the most and it is not smooth at all. You throw a ball and it bounces all over the screen. I was in a lobby with 6 people and that was the only part that seemed really cool. Not sure if we can talk to each other though.

Skeeball felt good for me in solo play.

To those not removing the blue lens tape.

Come back in a year after the goggles have been heated and cooled numerous times from use when the thin layer of glue begins to become opaque and you go to take them off and it is next to impossible to clean the dried tack off the lenses without risking a cleaning solution.

Minor temperature variations up and down constantly and moisture will more than likely muck them up.

Don't be afraid. Don't smack your lenses with hard objects and you'll be fine wiping them with a cloth for years. Coated plastics aren't unknown territory.

Unless your eyelashes are made of steel wool I wouldn't get so hung up on keeping them on.

doby

I've cleaned it, which removed smudges that were there when I took it out of the box. Unfortunately it didn't have any benefit for the debris, so I'm guessing it's inside.

It came with smudges on it? You should return it if there is something blocking the lens from the other side (no matter how small).

Come back in a year after the goggles have been heated and cooled numerous times from use when the thin layer of glue begins to become opaque and you go to take them off and it is next to impossible to clean the dried tack off the lenses without risking a cleaning solution.

Minor temperature variations up and down constantly and moisture will more than likely muck them up.

Don't be afraid. Don't smack your lenses with hard objects and you'll be fine wiping them with a cloth for years. Coated plastics aren't unknown territory.

Unless your eyelashes are made of steel wool I wouldn't get so hung up on keeping them on.

Wow, I didnt know people were leaving those on...seems like a terrible idea.

Yakkity

I asked earlier, but the thread moves fast maybe I'll get some bites now...

Does anyone have any experience with any of the Move "pistol shells"?

I really want a pair for Until Dawn and would love to hear any experience/impressions.

I've just this week bought 2 Venom Move pistol housings specifically for Until Dawn. Whilst I've only tried the demo so far, the results aren't great. Whilst with a bit of effort you can get the on screen arms to resemble how you're holding the pistols, the reload button when using Move controllers is the Move button itself - making it an absolute nightmare to reload as your thumb is not hovering over the button as it would be if you were just holding the Move controllers.

I'm hoping to drop some feedback to the devs to see about getting proper pistol mode in

Markew001

Might just be me then. Every time I try to access it, I have no option to purchase or download. I can only it add to the wishlist.

What's it like? Did you try it?

Odd that it's not giving you the option!

Unfortunately I have not tried it, just noticed that it was able to be purchased the other day.

I definitely see "the VR sweats" as a sign that I should take a break. I haven't experienced any nausea whatsoever (I'm not really prone to it), but if I start sweating, I usually pause the game and take a breather.

Give your body time and space to adjust. I figure better safe than sorry, personally.

Glix

I've just this week bought 2 Venom Move pistol housings specifically for Until Dawn. Whilst I've only tried the demo so far, the results aren't great. Whilst with a bit of effort you can get the on screen arms to resemble how you're holding the pistols, the reload button when using Move controllers is the Move button itself - making it an absolute nightmare to reload as your thumb is not hovering over the button as it would be if you were just holding the Move controllers.

I'm hoping to drop some feedback to the devs to see about getting proper pistol mode in

Dude.....

Thats not how you should be reloading. (I was uber psyched when I learned what you are about to learn)

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

You snap the controller up and down to reload. It's awesome. I do a sort of whipping motion.

doby

I'm one of those people.

The adhesive isn't on the lenses, its on the surrounding plastic. I'm just waiting for lens protectors to come out, one's that I can change regularly and not have to worry about the lens being damaged. This should take a few months at most. It's an expensive product and the lenses are proprietary and non replaceable.

I finished the entire game without knowing this.

I'd better turn my gamer union card in and show myself out the door.

In your defense, there is no indication that you can reload that way. I only found out because my friend (playing the game for the first time) instinctively use the "Time Crisis" method of reloading, and it worked. I'm like HOW DID YOU DO THAT??

Great that they added that.

KORNdoggy

Note to self....ease into disabling comfort features, don't just turn them off...

After about an hour of rigs i got super dizzy and now i have a headache. No sickness though. The game is way too fun! Also, whatever guerilla managed to do others need to copy, because its one of the nicest looking PSVR games by far.

I've had this thing in my hands like 4 times now and balked each time. 550 canuck bucks is a big buy in price.

I do want it, though.

Gurgh....

Note to self....ease into disabling comfort features, don't just turn them off...

After about an hour of rigs i got super dizzy and now i have a headache. No sickness though. The game is way too fun! Also, whatever guerilla managed to do others need to copy, because its one of the nicest looking PSVR games by far.

I sort of hate that when the comfort features are off you need to physically look at a spawn point. I want to just use the minimap while I look at other stuff.

Regarding Battlezone... For people who own the full game...is it worth it?

Gonna trade in Rigs btw...tried to love it and played it again and again , but the game makes me sick :/

vpance

Demos for VR games should be as compulsory as the 60fps rule. I really wanted job simulator but the demo is so swimmy for me I'm not going to bother.

Swimmy how? During panning? I didn't really notice any frame drops.

Haven't had much tracking issues in JS. The IQ is pretty damn clean and pleasing to look at so I keep coming back to it.

doby

Swimmy how? During panning? I didn't really notice any frame drops.

Haven't had much tracking issues in JS. The IQ is pretty damn clean and pleasing to look at so I keep coming back to it.

No, I was making the point that all VR games should have a demo (just like all VR games have to hit a solid 60fps minimum) so you can check out how it performs for you before laying down the dough (in regards to sports bar). I used job simulator as an example, saying I decided against buying it because the demo was swimmy (tracking-wise) and yeh its during panning. Makes me feel peculiar for hours after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom