• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

A friend of mine got his PSVR today and he told me that the resolution on his Samsung TV switches to a sub-1080p one when playing a game in VR. When he closes the game the resolution switches back to the regular one.

Has anyone here figured out a solution for this? I think I saw some people having the same issues, but not sure if anyone managed to get it fixed.

This is normal. There is no solution. It sacrifices TV quality for the headset.

Tain

A friend of mine got his PSVR today and he told me that the resolution on his Samsung TV switches to a sub-1080p one when playing a game in VR. When he closes the game the resolution switches back to the regular one.

Has anyone here figured out a solution for this? I think I saw some people having the same issues, but not sure if anyone managed to get it fixed.

This is intentional. Many games will mirror and un-distort the headset's image to show it on the TV, others will render their own sub-1080p secondary camera perspectives.

crimilde

Banned
Isn't this normal?

I had my ps4 set to "auto" resolution and it seems to be doing some odd things sometimes when someone is playing VR.

One time when we went back to the main page of the demo disk the TV just went black and would not come back until we shut the headset off. Everything else was fine.

I also get weird resolutions when someone is playing thumper.

I don't think the tv supports 1080p, that might be part of it.

This is normal. There is no solution. It sacrifices TV quality for the headset.

This is intentional. Many games will mirror and un-distort the headset's image to show it on the TV, others will render their own sub-1080p secondary camera perspectives.

Thank you for the replies! I had no idea it's normal, it sounded like an issue when he was telling me about it. I'll let him know.

Belfast

I'm sorry guys, I don't know if it's a miracle or what, but I haven't had one issue with drifting since I got it. Sometimes I think I am, simply because I feel like I've rotated away from the camera while the headset is on, but I flip up the visor and I'm still in the right spot.

doby

I'm in the same boat as you. Horror games aren't my favorite; the anxiety just becomes too overwhelming for me.

However, I adored Until Dawn (PS4 game)! It mastered the ebb and flow of suspense, scares, and then release. The scares that did happen, I reacted the same way as you. I especially loved how Until Dawn uses the PS Camera to record the player leading up to a scare and then capturing the reaction.

I think Rush of Blood follows exceptionally well in its predecessor's footsteps. The same, suspense, scare, release pacing is perfect. And I think the replayability is definitely there. I accidentally discovered that there are multiple paths throughout the levels. I am excited to not only try to beat my scores, but also experience the different parts of each level.

I agree with all of this. Am I correct in thinking when you discover a secret you get a different path the next time you play that level? It's pretty exciting to experience new things when you think you've completed the game and have to quickly prepare yourself for any unknown scares that might be coming.

Also how did Gamespot give this a 5 (mediocre), I watched their review on YouTube last night and could not relate to anything they were saying, according to them it doesn't have replayability..??

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It becomes second nature the more you play, but no it didn't get easier at all. I beat the game for reference. Like any rhythm game you'll get better the more you play though and you'll get through it with practice.

How did you get through Level 4's
snakes
?

doby

I'm sorry guys, I don't know if it's a miracle or what, but I haven't had one issue with drifting since I got it. Sometimes I think I am, simply because I feel like I've rotated away from the camera while the headset is on, but I flip up the visor and I'm still in the right spot.

It happens in cinema mode. I thought exactly the same as you until I actually spent longer than 30 seconds in cinema mode and after a 4 minute YouTube video my head was 45 degrees from where it started and what's worse, I didn't even realise!

Still working on my VR legs. Played the first area of Rez for the first time in my life. Holy shit it's amazing in VR. Headmaster level 18 is amazing as well. I can't remember the last time I laughed so much from joy of playing games.

Cartman86

Banned
Played about an hour last night. Controller tracking is very unstable for me like it was for Giantbomb. Not having headset issues other than it moving because my head is shaking. The way the front of it just sort of hangs there seems to be the cause. If I put my hands on it to keep it stable it doesn't move around anymore. It's not something you notice in intense games, but slower stuff or navigating menus can be annoying because of it. Don't have this issue with the Vive. Also the latency on the PS main menu UI is awful.

Glix

It happens in cinema mode. I thought exactly the same as you until I actually spent longer than 30 seconds in cinema mode and after a 4 minute YouTube video my head was 45 degrees from where it started and what's worse, I didn't even realise!

Crazy. I haven't had anything like this. I watched about an hour of football and it was great.

Camera is the old square style one and is on top of the TV.

The only issue I have had is that when I am adjusting the front portion of the headset while its on my face sometimes the screen goes black and I have to move it slightly to get it back.

CARTMAN - Get a better fit on the headset. make sure it is nice and tight and that the front part is nice and snug to your face. This should prevent it from flopping around. I have found there are a lot of angles that work for the headset, in terms of good IQ, but some of them are not good in terms of the gear fitting snugly to your face/head. Experiment a bit.

Tain

What is the consensus on Job Simulator? Worth $40?

I've only played on Vive. It's cute and funny and worked well as a pack-in introduction to room-scale VR, but I don't think it's very good beyond demonstrating VR to people.

Throw in potential tracking issues with Move and I would say pass.

Peltz

Yeah, I played Thumper in PSVR and really liked it, but again, it just felt like a huge screen. It wasn't like "oh man I'm tripping balls" or anything. I always wonder if people are exaggerating their reactions while using it or if I'm just really numb to VR. I've tried Oculus and Vive as well and felt similarly with those headsets.

You're numb.

Peltz

Well sad news for me, the contact between my glasses and the PSVR lens last night that scratched my glasses, also scratched the PSVR lens. As unlikely as that sounds, the scratch is in the exact same position as it is on my glasses. And yes, it is totally visible when playing. Since there's no way I'm going to just try to ignore a blurry spot in every game from here on out, I'm returning the bundle to Amazon, which kinda sucks since there aren't more bundles to exchange for and I just have to get a refund. What a disappointing pain in the ass.

If you wear glasses - DO NOT bring the PSVR too close to your face!

That really really sucks. I don't wear glasses, but that's something Sony should warn users about.

ViolentP

So I stopped off at Best Buy and picked one up and a 12-pack of beer. Never had any VR experience. Plugged it all in, played through the Thumper demo, and just like that, I'm a believer.

I may not have bought enough beer.

Glix

So I stopped off at Best Buy and picked one up and a 12-pack of beer. Never had any VR experience. Plugged it all in, played through the Thumper demo, and just like that, I'm a believer.

I think Thumper specifically wants weed, man.

Wear badass headphones and crank it. So good.

Edit - Wait. They sell beer at Best Buy?

beanman25

Scored 2300 to become 36th in the world on Super Hypercube! Love that game.

EDIT: Is Sportsbar supposed to be rad? Seems like it would be lots of fun.

Disktrasa

Banned

You dont need More beer, you have thumper xD

cakely

1. Don't use a lens pen
2. Don't use a leaf blower lol

Here's what I've been using for years on my camera lenses and Vive:

Rocket air blaster <$9
Purosol <$9
Kimwipes <$6

1. Blow off debris with a rocket blower while the lenses are pointing down, so debris falls out, not further inside. Confirm that there's no particles, or else they could scratch the lens when you wipe.
2. Spray a Kimwipe a couple times with the cleaning fluid. Don't spray right on the lens.
3. Starting in the center of the lens with the wet Kimwipe, wipe in a circular motion and make bigger circles until you've reached the outer edge.
4. Take a fresh Kimwipe and dry off the lens.

Thanks, good advice. :)

I kept reading it in Tuco's voice, thanks to your avatar.

Not sure if this was previously answered, does my play space need to be huge? Like do I need to move my furniture around just to enjoy this, or can I sit down have a beer and enjoy it?

Shoeless

Not sure if this was previously answered, does my play space need to be huge? Like do I need to move my furniture around just to enjoy this, or can I sit down have a beer and enjoy it?

The majority of experiences are intended for seated play. A few here and there like Batman or Job Simulator are recommended for standing, but not walking around, so if you have a coffee table in front of you or a desk/table, you *may* want to move it just in case. Like Batman actually has the odd jump scare here and there, so you might bang into something in front of you if you're not expecting it.

Okay, against all recommendations I bought eve today and I'm having an absolute blast! Even the beginning in the menu is so awesome and much better than the demo. There is a lot of customization and many things you can unlock. You I've only played team deathmatch for 2h straight and loving it. The game is real arcade-y like some old school shooters, which I really adore. There are also many "holy shit" moments, for example when you see how huge a planet is or when you die and the glass breaks and the cockpit freezes because of temperature. For VR this game looks really good I think. But I don't have a problem with any vr graphics because the immersion is just too strong in every game I've played.

For sci-fi fans who are looking for a game where you can play in burst or just one quick round imo this is the best launch game. If anyone wanna form a squad sometime add me: C0D10X

Would love to get some coop players. With voicechat this must be amazing.

I think this and sports bar vr are my main games right. Don't need anything else for some time.

Also dragon quest builders in cinema mode works really good. I have no problems with the screen quality and resolution.

I'm getting it tonight, you sold me.

I'll def add you! My husband and I each have PSVR, so you'll have 2 squad mates (no worries, we're like 2 normal guys)

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
That's enough Thumper for the night. Got midway to level 6...

Im seeing them visuals in my room right now as I'm laying in my bed

VR Crossover is a real thing. Happened to me after the first night.

The majority of experiences are intended for seated play. A few here and there like Batman or Job Simulator are recommended for standing, but not walking around, so if you have a coffee table in front of you or a desk/table, you *may* want to move it just in case. Like Batman actually has the odd jump scare here and there, so you might bang into something in front of you if you're not expecting it.

Awesome, good to know so I don't break my coffee table haha, I'll probably be picking this up sometime this weekend. Excite!

I finally got around to trying out the Driveclub VR Demo last night.

Here are my basic impressions:

* Game is really cool at the beginning, looking around your car, getting inside and looking around. I loved that part.

* It has one of the clearest, most High Quality Menus I have yet to see in VR. It is right in your face, super clean, bright, and clear.

*When I started the race in the car cam, I could immediately see why people were calling this game a Vomit Comet. I didn't feel sick at all, but I think I know what was making me feel a bit uneasy. The in the car view, you have the car moving all around you, on its suspension, while you are sitting basically still in the middle. So you are sitting still in the middle of the car, the car is bobbing and swaying around you, and you see the road flying by you in front of you. That is a lot of movement tricking the mind at once.

* I switched to 3rd Person and 1st Person Cameras, and all that uneasiness went away. The game was much more enjoyable. Sure, it isn't as cool as sitting in a virtual cock pit, but it was still pretty great. 1st Person Camera was awesome. Sure, it feels like you are racing around by sliding on your butt, but you could see in front of you much better without looking through a windshield.

*Yes, it is tough to tell the track ahead of you. There was one turn, I thought went left, I went right. Switching to 1st Person helped so much more. However, knowing the tracks is going to help the most.

zoukka

Man so we still don't have 3D video playback? I hope it's coming.

Just quit my first session with my PSVR and yep I feel woozy... VR Legs are real.

I wonder if I'm the only one who likes just playing with those balls in the PSVR Worlds menu.

I spent 5 minutes sticking my face in the Water Ball for the Ocean Descent Demo. You can hear in the headphones like you are sticking your head under water. Awesome! I also noticed if you swing your controller through it, the water splash follows your controller. The point being, it reacted the way I thought it would.

phant0m

Sitting down will be most comfortable and best for tracking. Only some games want you to stand (like Job Simulator)

I spent 5 minutes sticking my face in the Water Ball for the Ocean Descent Demo. You can hear in the headphones like you are sticking your head under water. Awesome! I also noticed if you swing your controller through it, the water splash follows your controller. The point being, it reacted the way I thought it would.

I was saying this earlier in the thread that it was a huge disappointment to me to find out there wasn't a whole game revolving around all the different types of balls in the menu, they are so simple and fun to interact with.

We just got Sports Bar..... and so far it feels very unintuitive and confusing :( perhaps I need more time but...... Kinda my first out of the box disappointment.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
alright, played for 2 evenings. Both evenings it worked fine when I started (around 7pm) and went to glitchy unfocussed tracking hell around 10 to 11 pm. Wow.
Job Sim was unplayable, the room and the hands were jumping around, when I tried to grab stuff, the hand disappeared, everything was wobbly all the time.
Batman was fine, funnily enough, and my best experience after VR worlds and Playroom (which JnR part is fucking amazing). The feel of being in a virtual world when it works is absolutely incredible.

Driveclub and that space thingie made me dizzy in a bad way. I'm happy I didn't buy it now.

Disappointing :/

Got my launch bundle from Amazon yesterday. I wasn't prepared for all the wires and still not sure how I am going to manage to have everything setup within my gaming setup. Right now everything is kind of just sprawled out across my floor and driving my OCD out of control. Those concerns all went out the window though as soon as I put on the headset and dove into Playroom VR.

Just the menu alone was a game changing experience and I was in awe of being able to look all around me and see stuff. Seeing the simulated DS4 move around in front of me was crazy. My move controllers were still charging up so my first VR experiences were limited to games that only used the standard controller:

The Playroom platformer was a really neat proof of concept. Would definitely buy a full game like this. How do you rescue the robot that's on the pulley platform connected to the balloon thing? I tried for so long and finally gave up.

I have been playing Thumper on steam and it's been awesome so I instantly double dipped on the PS version as this seems to be the definitive way to play.

Rez demo seemed pretty interesting, but didn't blow me away. Never played the original so I don't have the nostalgia for it that many seem to have. Felt like all I was doing was looking at targets and pressing a button to shoot? Does it get more involved than this? Thought I was going to insta-buy this, but now I might wait for a price drop.

Tried RIGS next and the good news was it didn't make me feel sick. I'm actually highly susceptible to motion sickness so I was pleased I was able to handle this okay. The tutorial didn't explain the objective of the game well though and I kind of just ran around aimlessly as if it were TDM. Controls were also a bit awkward. Seems like a pass for now.

Decided to push my limits and try Driveclub next knowing this one induced nausea in many people. Sitting in the car was so cool, felt like I was actually there. Surprisingly handled myself well until the end of the 2nd lap where I started to feel a bit uneasy. Something about those sharp windy turns started making me feel queasy, but I decided to power through the final lap since I was in 1st. Had to end the night there as I definitely felt the motion sickness kicking in, but I was mostly recovered within an hour or so. Don't think I'll be buying this one either for now, but the demo certainly a cool experience.

I was very skeptical going in, but so far this has exceeded all my expectations. Maybe I lucked out, but I experienced no issues with drifting or tracking in these games. I do notice the screen door effect and some blurriness, particularly in the menus, but once things are in motion it is totally believable and I don't even think about it. Tonight I'm going to try it out with the Move controllers. I bought Batman and Until Dawn, but I'll probably spend more time with the demo disc and VR Worlds before getting to those. VR is truly amazing and even in its early stages I can see the potential is huge. Words don't really do it justice. Hoping some more meaty gameplay experiences are on the way soon.

On a sidenote, I noticed that the plastic coating has frayed a bit on the USB cord that connects from the processing unit to the the PS4. The inside wiring is exposed, but it seems to work okay. Would be a tremendous pain to return everything just for that. I assume this is just a standard USB cord that can be easily replaced, right?

cakely

The best result for me was setting up the camera at right about head level, about five feet away, with enough room around you to move your arms around freely. Once I did that I had no issues with headset or move, or dualshock tracking.

Note that you don't need to put the camera on the TV. If you have a telescoping stand (like a mic stand) that you can mount the camera on it and point it at a convenient open area, you'll get the best results. You can then easily adjust the stand up or down for standing/seated experiences.

This also made it easier for friends to watch the TV (because you're not standing in front of it) and to participate in games like Playroom VR.

Standing makes turning your head for the 360 view a little easier (and almost every game has something to see behind you).

The dart throwing in Sports Bar feels broken..... Anyone having a positive time with this game and can share why?

Everything about it so far feels terrible :/

cakely

The Playroom platformer was a really neat proof of concept. Would definitely buy a full game like this. How do you rescue the robot that's on the pulley platform connected to the balloon thing? I tried for so long and finally gave up.

You need a second player with another DualShock 4. That guy will control another character who rides around on a little ufo with a vacuum cleaner. You'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom