• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was playing the Allumete demo, and everything looked sooo blurry. As Iooked closer at objects, it became blurrier! The strange thing was, if I shut one eye and looked through the other, everything appeared crystal clear.

Is there some kind of fine tuning I'm missing?

I don't know how close you were getting, but if you get too close to an object you won't be able to focus on it (because of the way the optics on the currents VR headsets work).

Yea I'm loving Battlezone but it's hard as fuck. I have yet to complete a short easy campaign.

Excellent game though

Live for the challenge.

pHb82xtBPfqEg.gif

Bought! Reminds me of Armor Attack on Vectrex Actually, the Vectrex did feel like VR back in ' 83 😉

Still haunts me I sold the damn thing:/

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I didn't realize they were still using the old sharp shooter rig for Farpoint. I just assumed they would be using the new controller gun. Interesting. I've still got a Nav controller lying around. Maybe it's not ready for the trash can after all.

They've been demoing Farpoint with a Nav+Move controller in that old Sharp Shooter thing. I expect Nav support.

Incorrect. They're using a new version of it thats far more minimalistic and might have extra gyro stuff in it. I asked a rep if they'd support the old Sharp Shooter and they said probably not. Would like to hear it from a dev though.

tray doing the eye to eye distance, and when setting the headset up set it up one eye at a time.

I badly want an RPG on PSVR.

There's a IPD setup thing you can do in the settings.
I did that already, although maybe I set it up incorrectly? Allumete was the only game that looked this blurry. It's hard to tell where my head is supposed to fall in the brackets for the IPD settings. Is it within the white corners? Can my head overlap the thick lines?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I want a miniatures simulation.

Like Warhammer or whatever that crazy shit is that people play at the gaming store while Im playing Magic The Gathering

Yes that that would awesome. A table top type game.

DjRalford

I did that already, although maybe I set it up incorrectly? Allumete was the only game that looked this blurry. It's hard to tell where my head is supposed to fall in the brackets for the IPD settings. Is it within the white corners? Can my head overlap the thick lines?

best thing to do is measure exactly 70cm from the camera, and do your face from there.

Not really getting the Sports Bar VR hate. It is a little rough around the edges, but what's there is a lot of fun and super immersive! I totally forgot where I was after a quick round of pool with an AI. I'd imagine it's even more fun with real people.

Shoeless

That is a throwback. Holy crap.

Steve McQueen just dated himself, and so did you and I for recognizing that reference.

Now, my 21st century adult self finds it hard to believe that I ever looked at this:

mb_vectrex_1s.jpg

And burned with the lust of 1000 nerd suns, wanting it in the worst way and trying to "make the best of it" with an Atari 2600.

Uzukii

Banned
Has or can any make a comparison of the new PS Move controllers with the old ones? Do the new ones have micro USB or mini-USB still? I wish I could have gotten the launch bundle but had to buy everything seperately. Fortunately I already had a PS Move but now I'm missing out on VR worlds.

BTW, I totally didn't realize there was plastic covering the lenses. I thought I felt my eye lashes rubbing up against something. lol

Glix

I think a big part in some of the opposite impressions in here are that some ppl have been having vr experiences since DK1 and others, like me, are having their minds fucking blown. My point:

I dont wanna get used to this. I dont want it to stop being magic. Because that is what it is right now. Fucking black magic of the highest order.

:-(

Shoeless

Will any of you buy Pro? Would be nice with some GAF-impressions vs vanilla PS4

I have it on pre-order and will be keeping it. I don't have a 4K TV, but I was thinking I'd enjoy a boost to regular 1080p games, and maybe PS VR. Now that I've tried PS VR, better VR games is actually my main motivation for keeping the pre-order. That and an SSD to replace to the HDD inside should make it a pretty decent VR machine.

ViolentP

If you don't enjoy it you can return it or sell it. I don't see why you keep it if everything is so inferior. Fortunately for me, this was my first VR experience.

Mine as well. The price and room requirements of the Vive were a bit much for a first endeavor in my case. $400 and made by a games company? Near ideal starting off point.

Steve McQueen just dated himself, and so did you and I for recognizing that reference.

Now, my 21st century adult self finds it hard to believe that I ever looked at this:

mb_vectrex_1s.jpg

And burned with the lust of 1000 nerd suns, wanting it in the worst way and trying to "make the best of it" with an Atari 2600.

Lol. Nice post! I remember Atari 2600 too. Got it for Xmas in 78 or 79 with Pitfall of course :) When I saw the Vectrex at a friends house ( his parents were rich ) I was blown away. I sold record I owned, did a lot of work to please my parents so I could finally buy it from a German bloke. Sold it in 1989 when I started my study. Still regret it :/

Tumle

Man I wish I hadn't used Vive before, many of the demos look like crap compared to stuff I played from steam. Especially the ocean demos, they look like PS2 games compared to the incredible ocean experiences you can play with Vive, the difference is like night and day.

Battlezone seemed the most consistent of all the PSVR games, nice visuals and good controls. Rigs was fine too, but didn't excite me for some reason. Rest of the free demo's were super forgettable. Driveclub quickly gave me motion sickness and so did EvE as soon as you rolled the spaceship. No way I could ever pay for any of the games except maybe Battlezone.

Kitchen demo was cool, but you can see it was made super fast. I wonder how the VR mode in RE7 is handled...

VR videos are useless on PSVR until they add 3D support. I can't believe it's not patched in yet, the 360-videos in just 2D mode look bad and give a wrong impression of how great actual 3D VR video playback is.
What?? Well that's your opinion and I'll give you that the blu looks better.. but most of what is out on vive is unfinished indie games, that look like ps2 games..
The image is cleare yes.. but not so much as you make it out to be.. I love my vive.. but saying that the games on PSVR look that much vorse than vive is hyperbole at this stage.. can they look better sure.. but not many things on it does right now.. :)

I think a big part in some of the opposite impressions in here are that some ppl have been having vr experiences since DK1 and others, like me, are having their minds fucking blown. My point:

I dont wanna get used to this. I dont want it to stop being magic. Because that is what it is right now. Fucking black magic of the highest order.

:-(

I've used the Rift quite a bit and I'm still really impressed with PSVR and think it has some experiences better than Oculus.

DjRalford

Am I doing something wrong, or is the video image on the TV supposed to be squished (like the sides are cut off).

Looks like a 480p image? Yep, normal.

eh?

I've not noticed a single game where theres a problem with on TV display, in fact i've just checked a video i took the other day of my daughter playing ocean oddessy and it is full screen and in a decent quality.

Are you sure you have your PS4 set to 1080p manually, as i hear auto can cause problems.

cakely

I would love to see a game like "Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes" done with dual Move support. When it's done right grabbing and manipulating objects in VR is a real joy.

I've used the Rift quite a bit and I'm still really impressed with PSVR and think it has some experiences better than Oculus.

I think cinematic mode looks better on PSVR. It's also a more comfortable headset as well.

I don't think you're losing all that much with console VR.

RoyalFool

Banned
I thought the Ocean demo was AMAZING... Shark looked realistic. I liked it so much so I want to show my family and creep them out.

so with you saying that, now I'm curious which Vive game looks night and day better. What's the title?

The sde on my vive results in diminishing returns even when paired with an expensive graphics card. I wouldn't say it's night and day, heck I prefer he look of some titles on psvr just because of the pixel density. not sure why some folks have a motive of potraying psvr as completely inferior which just isn't the case

Pejo

Has or can any make a comparison of the new PS Move controllers with the old ones? Do the new ones have micro USB or mini-USB still? I wish I could have gotten the launch bundle but had to buy everything seperately. Fortunately I already had a PS Move but now I'm missing out on VR worlds.

BTW, I totally didn't realize there was plastic covering the lenses. I thought I felt my eye lashes rubbing up against something. lol

I think they're the same controllers, unless I'm missing something. They're still Mini-USB, unfortunately, so you need to swap out cables to charge. I had one old Move controller, and got the 2 new ones in the bundle, so I haven't even dug out my old one yet.

irkutsk12

Neo Member
Hi,

Bound dev here - I'm just posting to remind you that we are finishing the demo, and we will submit it soon - so stay tuned! Also thanks for all the marvelous comments that we receive here and on reddit. It was worth the wait :)

Cinema mode is great to try out, but i can't see myself using this a lot when playing "normal" games.

Haven't tried watching a movie on it though.

PSVR has a far better lineup so far and also I'm straight up enjoying the comfort it provides over the CV1 as well as the lack of god rays

The lack of god rays is an under-estimated advantage of these optics.
the glare in the Vive was really annoying. Bright white would glare and smear. I think there is a reason "the Lab" is mostly acres of light colours. They purposely stayed away from high contrast. But the PSVR, well, black is acceptable, bright things on black is fine, and bright colors on anything look amazing. Fresnel lenses, as used in both oculus and vive, are not a good solution. When it glares, the lens pattern shows.
Apparently Fresnel was selected to minimise SDE but the PSVR has less SDE and doesn't need a Fresnel lens.

I was playing the Allumete demo, and everything looked sooo blurry. As Iooked closer at objects, it became blurrier! The strange thing was, if I shut one eye and looked through the other, everything appeared crystal clear.

Is there some kind of fine tuning I'm missing?
This is why I'm afraid of having a bunch of people over to try. For me Allumette was a little blurry but when I got close things would get so clear. I'm afraid people wouldn't find it as revolutionary as me if they go in and everything is blurry.

mb_vectrex_1s.jpg

I was about 4 years old when it came out but I knew what it was. Sadly, I was never an owner.

You can.

I just finished playing a bit of it. Tracking is rough but I still had fun. Let me know if you pick it up and we can mess around with it.

Thanks, I wanna see how many Gaf members are gonna get it so we can have weekend meetings and mess around and talk about games obviously :p

akileese

Try it again now. Mine JUST went through while I was working on trying to get them to issue a new code or a refund.

I tried it again at like, 530 and it went through. Sports Bar VR is legitimately awesome. Had a fun run of skeeball challenges and a few games of air hockey.

Fusebox

Banned
I would love to see a game like "Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes" done with dual Move support. When it's done right grabbing and manipulating objects in VR is a real joy.

Wtf? It doesn't already support two Move controllers? How does it work then?

Weevilone

It came with smudges on it? You should return it if there is something blocking the lens from the other side (no matter how small).

Yeah it was smudgy and had the lens covers. That cleaned up fine but there are 2 specs under the lens. They are small but bothersome. I wish it was simple to swap it, but it is the bundle and Best Buy only has the standalone headset stocked.

So I just ordered my bundle from Amazon for 499$ but it's in stock on the 26th.

Question, will my card be charged as soon as the order is processed? Or when it ships?

I ask cause if they charge my card today it will decline due to a banking thingy that I will clear up tomorow.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Sports Bar has potential but it's often just janky enough to be uncomfortable. For example, it makes you stand on a location and it wants you to face in the direction the feet are facing. For some reason that direction was 45 degrees left-of-center of my camera, making it way too easy to accidentally block out my left move controller. Also, it made me stand pretty close to the TV, which seemed to really limit the vertical range in which it would recognize my controllers. My camera is on top of the TV, so this was especially annoying when reaching down. It was kind of a struggle picking up skee balls and the controller often spazzed out when I'd try to roll them.

Couldn't quickly find any calibration options, and holding start didn't redirect the feet position. I had to hop out, but I'll try again in a bit. It'll probably be better playing with humans, I suppose.

farisr

So I just ordered my bundle from Amazon for 499$ but it's in stock on the 26th.

Question, will my card be charged as soon as the order is processed? Or when it ships?

I ask cause if they charge my card today it will decline due to a banking thingy that I will clear up tomorow.
Amazon only charges when they ship/prepare shipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom