• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ellite25

So has anyone else been feeling kinda lightheaded in general after playing VR consistently for the first time? Yesterday I was feeling dizzy/nauseous just riding around in the car.

Welp, the spider level in Until Dawn can go fuck itself. Literally screamed out loud at the end. Never had a reaction like that to a piece of media before. VR is the real deal.

Driveclub VR gets a lot of flack but I really like it.

Which View are you playing? I would really like to know if anyone else is using the First Person Front Bumber view in Driveclub.

I feel like the in the car view was causing a bit of uneasiness for me because of the way the car moves around you (leaning into turns, vibrating, shaking) while you are sitting still in the middle.

When I went to the front bumper cam, it felt like I was sitting on a skateboard flying around, but it was still pretty awesome. And it didn't bother me at all. Plus, I think you can see better in the distance because your view isn't distracted by the small windshield cutout (*at least in the normal cars).

Soi-Fong

More people need to play Rigs. This game is the real deal... I can't count how many times I've screamed in the game because of defensive and offensive plays.

Faithless

So has anyone else been feeling kinda lightheaded in general after playing VR consistently for the first time? Yesterday I was feeling dizzy/nauseous just riding around in the car.

Yes, I love the visuals, but I feel really lightheaded for about a half hour after.

Gemeanie

It happened to me the day after my first night with PSVR

It felt like I've done extensive 3D eye training and I could see clearly in distance but struggled to focus in short distance. It went away evetually though

I went to my local Best Buy and got the Accidental Damage plan. It was $70, but it covers the thing for 2 years and isn't a one-shot. It's stories like the above, getting scratches on the lens (which has already happened to me), and the sheer mobility of the device that swayed me. Plus, I think $70 is a whole lot easier to stomach than $400, should something worse happen to the headset.

how long after purchase can I buy the protection plan?

At the suggestion of folks here, I have ordered an extension cable for the camera, which is set to arrive tomorrow, and am planning to place the camera where my PC is:

bpX6kdH.jpg

This should give me more than enough feet to meet the requirements for both sitting and standing games: I can pull the desk chair back for the former, and I should have enough room to move my arms out for the latter.

The question is which spot on my desk would be ideal for the camera:

tiEovBI.jpg

I think the spot above the monitor (where the Berserk manga is) would be best: it wouldn't get moved at all, it keeps my monitor free from clutter, and there's a hole in the back of that part of the shelf I can slide the camera cord through.

Thing is, I'm a tall guy, 6'4 as illustrated above. Standing up, my head reaches where the green circle is. I'm wondering then if it's best to keep the camera at chest-level or otherwise. I still think that spot is best, but if anyone feel that directly on top of the monitor is ideal, or some other place, let me know. I want to be done with this so I can finally play the VR games without compromise.

Hopefully this helps. I am 6ft tall. My camera is on top of my TV, 4 feet off the floor, and we sit in a chair that is 76 inches (6 feet 4 inches) away from the Camera. I can also stand in the exact same spot, 76 inches from the camera, and either sitting or standing has been working near perfectly. We basically try to sit or stand near dead center of the camera (but other users have recommended trying to line up with the left camera) No tracking issues, no drifting issues (except I get that little drift and turn to the left in Cinema Mode that seems to be prevalent everywhere).

I would assume you could raise the camera a little bit higher than mine since you are taller, but you could try this out and see how it works and go from there. We play during the daytime and at night both, and this setup is working fantastic.

Ah... that cigar bit in The London Heist completely blew my mind!

i was trying to burn the phone with the lighter......i have played on occulus vr before but i never experienced what its like to have a 1 to 1 motion control.....its incredible

Same here! I was trying to set various things on fire with the lighter and lit cigar, Lol.

I captured the video of my 12 year old daughter doing this game. It was the first time we put it in, and it was hilarious. I didn't say a word, she had on headphones and got sucked in. But she tried to light both ends, was trying to smoke it, threw it at the guy, grabbed the phone, dropped it on the floor, lit another cigar, tried to put it out in the ash tray, on the wall, tried to burn the guys tie, his fingers, the bag, the table, the money roll or whatever, the passport.

When the little cutscene was over, I was like "What did he say, what does he want you to do?" She was like "I dont know!" I started laughing. Of course she didn't know, she was using her Pyromaniac starter kit.

Really happy to see a lot of you guys enjoying this. It's weird, I rarely look at threads when it's not related to a product I've bought or plan on buying, but I really want VR to take off and it's great that people are seeing the potential of this tech. Also, my Rift needs better games and mass adoption on any platform should boost general interest. Can't wait to get my motion controls, crazy that I've had my Rift for months and you guys are already ahead of me in that regard.

SOLDIER

What do you call it when a close object is moving forward and backward on its own (for example, the rollercoaster in Until Dawn)? And what are some things you can do to eliminate/reduce that?

I think my original setup was prone to failure, since it had me sitting on a bed (I assume the camera preferred my lower half wasn't obscured by my crossed legs or the bed itself.

I haven't seen many impressions of The Assembly.... It keeps getting my attention since it has a small discount and I want something more story driven/ environment exploratory.

I haven't seen many impressions of The Assembly.... It keeps getting my attention since it has a small discount and I want something more story driven/ environment exploratory.

I am also very interested in this and Loading Human. If it helps, here are the reviews from Steam for The Assembly! I hear Loading Human is so much better with 2 Move Controllers. Some people are really enjoying the amount of interactivity in Loading Human, you can basically screw around with about anything. But I hear the movement can be frustrating if you dont put in time to get used to it, and can also cause nausea. But so far, I am pretty much nausea free so that doesn't scare me.

That is the thing with VR, even very decisive games get my interest because I still want to try them out and be in "that world."

lt519

Finished 100% Batman VR, only needed help on
one Riddler puzzle
and one destructible. Was a joy going through a few more times with a much more close eye on everything, exploring all the bios and models.

Still the best looking VR game I've played so far. Really the best "wow" moment in VR.

I am having trouble getting the headset right and distant objects staying sharp though. I've tried everything at this point. Games like Scavengers Odyssey and Battlezone get near unplayable straining for a bit.

Illucio

Banned
Got motion sickness after playing RIGS again. It's so fun but I just can't x.x....

Played Overwatch as well with just the regular screen and I still got motion sickness. I feel like this is going to be a huge problem moving forward with VR.

Chris_C

I haven't played a great deal as I'm waiting for a little time to dedicate to it, but based on my firs thirty minutes I'd say:

- The story is a little slow, but has promise so far.
- The graphics are fine, I just wish it had Move support, because manipulating objects with a DS4 in a game like this disassociates you from the setting.

So far I'd say it's worth the current discounted price, and I don't regret the purchase.

One of the devs was in this thread earlier and stated that the game has been designed to automatically enable Pro support when that console launches.

Chris_C

Finished 100% Batman VR, only needed help on
one Riddler puzzle
and one destructible. Was a joy going through a few more times with a much more close eye on everything, exploring all the bios and models.

Still the best looking VR game I've played so far. Really the best "wow" moment in VR.

I've finished the story portion of the game and I'm trying to find the Riddler puzzles now. Is it possible to go straight to them or do you have to select each chapter and go through all the story stuff in that chapter first?

EDIT: Sorry about the double post.

Soi-Fong

Got motion sickness after playing RIGS again. It's so fun but I just can't x.x....

Played Overwatch as well with just the regular screen and I still got motion sickness. I feel like this is going to be a huge problem moving forward with VR.

Goddamn dude. I feel for ya. Yeah if you're getting motion sickness from Overwatch on a static screen, you might just be prone to motion sickness in general.

I would say just try to do the static experiences for now in PSVR and go from there.

Cmon Sony, give me Sports Champions VR. I want to play VR bocce ball so damn bad.

Gladiator fights would be fun too!

Ubi! Give us a For Honor VR mini game or something!

Also, Rigs so far is the only thing that made me feel it bad. Hopefully it was because I went to the ER earlier that day and was on Hydrocodone but...who knows.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The end of Batman is pretty twisted. I lessened the tension by making Batman do the batusi.

Burglekutt

wow, i played the RIGS demo several times in a row and finally felt like I got the controls. Now I am finally seeing why this game has so much hype around it.

Mezoly

Playing Jobs Simulator and Wayward sky and the wobble is annoying me. The world shift back and forth. Also I never got the the tracking calibration to work. Step 3 seemed to be bugged I align all the lights and they turned white but no progress bar. I hope Sony will address this because I'm really enjoying the tech and the games.

Yousefb

Alright guys, I decided to officially give in and buy the PSVR. All the impressions are mostly positive and my excitement has steadily increased. What are the must have games? I know that Batman is really short but I can't help it I have to have that one heh.

DjRalford

Alright guys, I decided to officially give in and buy the PSVR. All the impressions are mostly positive and my excitement has steadily increased. What are the must have games? I know that Batman is really short but I can't help it I have to have that one heh.

Thumper and Rush of Blood get my vote, but before you buy anything make sure you play all the demos to get an idea if they give you any ill effects.

And Playroom VR is a must!

Slixshot

Banned
ZRLzvru.gif

Me after experiencing the full game of RIGS.

This is BY FAR the best experience I've had yet. What a game! There's so much to it too! Unlockables for your pilot, purchasable rigs, different game modes to keep the gameplay interesting!

I feel like I am incredibly fortunate that I have not gotten motion sick from a single game I've tried so far. The worst I've actually felt was from watching the Alluminit video.

Anyway, RIGS deserves the support because of all the love put into it and Guerilla Cambridge need to keep this game supported because I want more. We have our first VR esport, if youre asking me.

EDIT:

PSA: I did change the settings for the vision! I believe it's necessary for everyone to experiment with what they're comfortable with. Change the deadzones, the turn speeds and all that jazz and find what feels good!

Look no further. This game is the real deal. Some people have complained about motion sickness, but I would say work up your VR legs with extended use in like Batman, VR Worlds, and Thumper, then run through the tutorials of RIGS and you'll be solid.

It may be short, but I'm glad I bought it. Experiencing it in VR, I had a grin throughout the entire thing. Been playing videogames for nearly 30 years, I felt like a kid again, it is just awe.

Illucio

Banned
Goddamn dude. I feel for ya. Yeah if you're getting motion sickness from Overwatch on a static screen, you might just be prone to motion sickness in general.

I would say just try to do the static experiences for now in PSVR and go from there.

I might had got motion sickness from RIGS and it just carried over when I switched to Overwatch... Who knows.

I found it funny that after playing Jankenstein on hard someone randomly messaging me saying I was the best Ana player ever. And here I thought I was doing a terrible job because of the headset lol.

I was getting really hot even though my window is open and I have a fan blowing on me. So maybe I'm getting sick?

Just trial and error I guess.

Yousefb

Thumper and Rush of Blood get my vote, but before you buy anything make sure you play all the demos to get an idea if they give you any ill effects.

And Playroom VR is a must!
Huh for some reason I was under the impression there are no demos. Good to know thanks! Also stupid question but Playroom VR isn't the same as VR Worlds right?

Huh for some reason I was under the impression there are no demos. Good to know thanks! Also stupid question but Playroom VR isn't the same as VR Worlds right?

There are 18 demos if you're in the US (well more like 16....). Correct, Playroom is separate from VR worlds.

I'll be another one to say that the Playroom VR platformer game is cool as hell. It really demonstrates the potential there is in the VR space.

Also, I set the headset a bit higher on my head today and it seems to have improved my blurriness issue. I'll have to try more games to really determine how much better it is.

bumpkin

Playroom VR is separate, free and amazing!

Much to my surprise, I actually got a little dizzy/queasy playing Scavenger's Odyssey tonight. There's a section in part 1 where you're doing a lot of upside-down traversal while having to fight enemies that did me in. I've been fine with everything else I've played though.

Playing Jobs Simulator and Wayward sky and the wobble is annoying me. The world shift back and forth. Also I never got the the tracking calibration to work. Step 3 seemed to be bugged I align all the lights and they turned white but no progress bar. I hope Sony will address this because I'm really enjoying the tech and the games.

there is a step in calibration where you have to hold the headset at an angle you don't really expect to be holding it at. look carefully at the outline don't just get the lights inside the circles.

Playing Borderlands 2 on the Biggest screen in Cinema Mode was pretty awesome. The visuals goes hand in hand with the low resolution. When I took the headset off, my TV screen looked smaller than usual but the visuals were sharp as hell. Also played the airplane scene in Uncharted 3 and it pretty much felt like a watching a movie at a movie theater XD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom