• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

farisr

This is the post talking about the Pro having some stuff for VR:
Without getting into possibly NDA-breaking details, yes, the PS4Pro GPU does have a bunch of additions that are targeted at VR. It's likely enough to allow base PS4 quality graphics in VR.

Chris_C

My spouse who despises gaming other than candy crush was blown away. She enjoyed every minute of the demos I had her try. I forgot which game and scene, but she actually hit the headset with her hand. I think it was because something was flying at her face and she was trying to bat it away.

I think PSVR is the best peripheral to date. This is a guy who has owned both gimmicky kinects (motion control), 3ds (3d), and wii u (touch pad controller) etc.

My wife doesn't despise gaming by any means, but she hasn't played anything since Zelda on SNES. She dug the Playroom games and absolutely loved Wayward Sky.
Called Sony for the bad headset jitter / wobble. Turned out the VR extension cable is the problem. Once I removed it and hooked the headset directly the wobble was gone. I know I saw a couple of people here having this problem so it might be the same problem. Sony will send me a new one but that mean I will be without it for few days.

I might have to try this.

wege12

There is no question Vive currently has the best tracking of the big 3. The game library is also bigger on PC. That being said, the install base of PSVR is going to dwarf the Vive/Rift very quickly. So games will be likely aligned more and more with the Move controllers with some changes for PC.

As for PC VR w/ PSVR there is already some preliminary work. But I would say we are a ways away. If they can get Revive to work with PSVR holy crap I would be happy.

The larger PSVR install base is what makes me think I should just keep my PSVR. But if they are able to get it to work on PC, then I'd keep it in doubt. I wish i never had demoed a Vive. Then I wouldn't have to make this decision lol.

Had anyone played Human Loading? It looks intriguing and might be my next purchase.

Chris_C

Does anyone know if Kismet on PSVR supports PS Move? Can't see it listed on the store page, but I know it supports motion controllers on Vive.

zoukka

What?? Well that's your opinion and I'll give you that the blu looks better.. but most of what is out on vive is unfinished indie games, that look like ps2 games..
The image is cleare yes.. but not so much as you make it out to be.. I love my vive.. but saying that the games on PSVR look that much vorse than vive is hyperbole at this stage.. can they look better sure.. but not many things on it does right now.. :)

Yeah TheBLU is the best looking game on Vive right now, games like Project Cars don't even look better than Driveclub VR. The ocean demo was just a shock to me personally, since theBlu was the demo I was most impressed as a VR experience and a lot of that was the visual fidelity, the fish looked great even up close. In the PSVR ocean demo you could literally see the polygon edges in the jellyfish even though you were meters away, in theBlu demo you can walk to them so that they are 1cm from your face and they still look fine.

All faith in the Pro I guess.

Mokubba

Awesome stream from Easy Allies with PSVR today, looked and worked great, people had fun!

Thanks.
Going to watch the archive.

ZRLzvru.gif

Me after experiencing the full game of RIGS.

This is BY FAR the best experience I've had yet. What a game! There's so much to it too! Unlockables for your pilot, purchasable rigs, different game modes to keep the gameplay interesting!

I feel like I am incredibly fortunate that I have not gotten motion sick from a single game I've tried so far. The worst I've actually felt was from watching the Alluminit video.

Anyway, RIGS deserves the support because of all the love put into it and Guerilla Cambridge need to keep this game supported because I want more. We have our first VR esport, if youre asking me.

EDIT:

PSA: I did change the settings for the vision! I believe it's necessary for everyone to experiment with what they're comfortable with. Change the deadzones, the turn speeds and all that jazz and find what feels good!

Look no further. This game is the real deal. Some people have complained about motion sickness, but I would say work up your VR legs with extended use in like Batman, VR Worlds, and Thumper, then run through the tutorials of RIGS and you'll be solid.

Everyone, listen to this man.

M_A_C

Called Sony for the bad headset jitter / wobble. Turned out the VR extension cable is the problem. Once I removed it and hooked the headset directly the wobble was gone. I know I saw a couple of people here having this problem so it might be the same problem. Sony will send me a new one but that mean I will be without it for few days.

really? I must try that and see. Did you controller wobble too? I have the giantbomb issues and it's annoying.

Need some help. At the end of the Robots Rescue game in Playroom VR it takes a pic of you playing the game. The thing is that, it took a pic of my friend who wasn't wearing much. She isn't very happy with that.

I cannot find a way to delete the pic. It flashes on the title screen wherever you select the game.

It's not in any of the screen captures and deleting the save files online and the system did nothing because as soon as you boot it up again and select that game, there it is.

It's kinda funny, but not. Only thing I can think of is to delete the app, but it has to store these somewhere. It's not in other screenshots either.

Help.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Certainly there's a lot of scope for enhancement for VR in Pro, but my big question is how many of the VR games this year will actually have a Pro mode. If many of them are it would help justify my wait for Pro. If only a couple, I might be more tempted to plump for a standard box.

zoukka

Need some help. At the end of the Robots Rescue game in Playroom VR it takes a pic of you playing the game. The thing is that, it took a pic of my friend who wasn't wearing much. I cannot find a way to delete the pic. It flashes on the title screen wherever you select the game.

It's not in any of the screen captures and deleting the save files online and the system did nothing beecher as soon as you boot it up again and select that gave, there it is.

It's kinda funny, but not. Only thing I can think of is to delete the app, but it has to store these somewhere. It's not in other screenshots either.

Help.

Hilarious (I am sorry I can't help you).

Chris_C

Certainly there's a lot of scope for enhancement for VR in Pro, but my big question is how many of the VR games this year will actually have a Pro mode. If many of them are it would help justify my wait for Pro. If only a couple, I might be more tempted to plump for a standard box.

Sony have officially stated that the majority of PS4 games released after the Pro is available will support Pro. I imagine that includes VR games. This is just speculation on my part, I imagine a VR dev in the know could elaborate.

Wollan

You will be kicking yourself if you opt not to go for the Pro (releasing in three weeks) considering you are keenly interested in VR and yet a PS4 owner. That $100 premium should ensure significant IQ improvements. Even if some of the launch games don't end up receiving a Pro update it's still a mandate going forward.

SomTervo

There is no question Vive currently has the best tracking of the big 3. The game library is also bigger on PC. That being said, the install base of PSVR is going to dwarf the Vive/Rift very quickly. So games will be likely aligned more and more with the Move controllers with some changes for PC.

As for PC VR w/ PSVR there is already some preliminary work. But I would say we are a ways away. If they can get Revive to work with PSVR holy crap I would be happy.

You're not wrong re install base on psvr but I reckon Vive will benefit from that too.

CrazyHal

So i bough one today and i have a pretty big problem. No matter how i adjust the headset on my head, i can't completely block out the outside world.

When i move my eyeballs right and left, i can see a little bit of light coming from the outside and when i move them down, i can see my torso.

Anybody else had this issue? It totally breaks immersion for me.

Fliesen

is there any PSVR game that would serve as some sort of chill "platinum it while listening to podcasts" appeal? - often times that's basically all i need after a hard day's work ... (weirdly enough ... it sounds like more 'work')

So i bough one today and i have a pretty big problem. No matter how i adjust the headset on my head, i can't completely block out the outside world.

When i move my eyeballs right and left, i can see a little bit of light coming from the outside and when i move them down, i can see my torso.

there's always gonna be a tiny bit of light bleed, i think. Unless you really focus on it, you should be able to unsee it ...

Also, was I the only one who felt actual immersion when going down the elevator? It felt like I was actually moving down.

I felt it as well, and then the scale when the cave opens up dropped my jaw when I started looking around, damn it looked huge in there.

Seconded so hard. I wasn't expecting to be as floored as I was by The London Heist. There are so many little things that blew me away. I left off on the highway chase last night, hoping to go back and get past that tonight; died a few times before having to call it quits last night to do stuff around the house.

The highway chase is so cool.

Still working on my VR legs. Played the first area of Rez for the first time in my life. Holy shit it's amazing in VR. Headmaster level 18 is amazing as well. I can't remember the last time I laughed so much from joy of playing games.

Rez looks so damned great in the headset.

You will be kicking yourself if you opt not to go for the Pro (releasing in three weeks) considering you are keenly interested in VR and yet a PS4 owner. That $100 premium should ensure significant IQ improvements. Even if some of the launch games don't end up receiving a Pro update it's still a mandate going forward.

Tried playing some sports bar VR before bed. Couldn't keep a stable connection for some reason. I also got hard "left drift". May have been the fact I had light on to my left and no light behind me. Will try again more tomorrow.

KORNdoggy

played with my main lights on last night. which are visibly reflected in the mirror behind me and visible to the camera. and still had no drift or jitter.

Mdk7

Just finished Rez Area X for the first time and that is the killer app for PSVR hands down. I was grinning from ear to ear! The colors and that music. Area X in VR is simply incredible!

I am going to make everyone I know try this level!

Rez Infinite and Thumper are really the best stuff you can play on PSVR.

Yeah Rigs is just amazing... I never even notice that I'm so into the game. Every goal and I go nuts from the thing.

The best part really is feeling like you're there and you're this athlete in this awesome league. They do so well in making it feel like an actual sporting event.

Anyway, what Rigs are you guys using?

I'm sticking with the PainKiller right now which is a Mirage Engineer. I've been freaking loving it, but I've been thinking of branching out to another Rig. Not sure yet.

Do we have a guide for what Rigs are good for which gamemodes or which types of teammates?

Ive tried a few but I've ended up with the mirage vampire Nine Lives. It's cool as I have double jump plus health to full upon a takedown.

foxbeldin

It's probably been said but i feel some games are a bit overpriced. It's not a rant or anything, just an opinion.
I was expecting Headmaster to sit at 9.99 and Job Simulator at 19.99 for example. I guess i'll wait for a sale.

rafaelr

same thing for me, but once i´m playing a game, i tune it out automatically.
also, since the rubber cover is easily removable, i´d guess there´ll soon be 3rd party accessories that could address this.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
It's probably been said but i feel some games are a bit overpriced. It's not a rant or anything, just an opinion.
I was expecting Headmaster to sit at 9.99 and Job Simulator at 19.99 for example. I guess i'll wait for a sale.
Same here.

That's why Until Dawn at 20 and TumbleVR at 10 were so surprising. You get a comparatively a lot in those games at high quality.

If the indies had all reduced prices by 50% or 33% I would've bought way more.

Fliesen

same thing for me, but once i´m playing a game, i tune it out automatically.
also, since the rubber cover is easily removable, i´d guess there´ll soon be 3rd party accessories that could address this.

yeah, good point. I noticed how easily you can remove the rubber cover. I suppose there'll be third party covers that offer some sort of foam based solution that provide a tighter seal.

Btw, speaking of the PS4 pro - i'm currently really torn. While the low IQ of Driveclub does bother me a bit, upgrading to the pro wouldn't alleviate the main 'issue' i'm having (sometimes iffy tracking of controllers and headset) even in the slightest.

The fact that many games (Job Simulator, Playroom) look absolutely fantastic with regards to resolution and framerate - and these are the experience i'm looking to get from PSVR - i still feel like i'm gonna skip the pro, still.
At least until RDR2 is released ...

Job Simulator is well worth the asking price, and it's no more expensive than it is on steam, i believe.

zoukka

Stuff is always overpriced at hardware launch.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
The tracking issue posts are really piling up here. I go back and forth on the issue, but I think I've settled on returning it for now. If they come out with a fix of some sort wether it be a new camera or some sort of silver bullet type deal I'll jump back in.

I basically am experiencing this the same way I experienced move in that I tried all different solutions then just learned to deal with it. Eventually it became too much of a hassle to even bother. In this case it's obviously worse because the side effect is nausea, and the price is a lot higher.

I also think long term this will be an issue. There are a lot of people who seem to be reaching wits end with it. There have been a few in here and a few in Reddit. The more we get away from the initial excitement the more I think it will settle in for those struggling with tracking. It's a bummerbecause it's been an exciting few days. Playroom vr was a revelation and job simulator legitimately blew my mind, but overall the tracking leaves you wanting more.

This is the post talking about the Pro having some stuff for VR:

Man, I can't afford PS4 Pro, PSVR was already expensive enough, but these enhancements sound substantial. Will wait for some extensive hands-on reports first, before I even consider buying it.

zoukka

The tracking issue posts are really piling up here. I go back and forth on the issue, but I think I've settled on returning it for now. If they come out with a fix of some sort wether it be a new camera or some sort of silver bullet type deal I'll jump back in.

I basically am experiencing this the same way I experienced move in that I tried all different solutions then just learned to deal with it. Eventually it became too much of a hassle to even bother. In this case it's obviously worse because the side effect is nausea, and the price is a lot higher.

I also think long term this will be an issue. There are a lot of people who seem to be reaching wits end with it. There have been a few in here and a few in Reddit. The more we get away from the initial excitement the more I think it will settle in for those struggling with tracking. It's a bummerbecause it's been an exciting few days. Playroom vr was a revelation and job simulator legitimately blew my mind, but overall the tracking leaves you wanting more.

There's always Vive if you really crave the VR experiences even after returning.

Teknoman

What exactly is causing it I wonder? I havent had any tracking issues with head or move fortunately. Only issue i've had is the display cutting out for a few seconds here and there randomly.

Still trying to decide on the best camera position/setup.

Currently have it under the TV, which I guess would limit me to anything requiring me to stand, unless I swivel the camera up, at which point I am limited to how low I can use my controllers. Thought about mounting it on the TV, but then I guess I would lose the ability to swivel it around - I've had the best tracking luck pointing the camera so it's looking slightly to my right. But then I'm not sure if I need to calibrate the camera again properly? Just had a quick look at the "Adjust Playstation Camera" option and the frame is off the the left, making me think that maybe I need to go through that to get the VR settings right.

rafaelr

i went ahead and made a uk psn account, because cdkeys has several psvr games (mostly for uk psn) quite a bit cheaper than the psn store (bought batman for 16 instead of 20€ and vr worlds for 31 instead of 40€ for example).

Teknoman

Need some help. At the end of the Robots Rescue game in Playroom VR it takes a pic of you playing the game. The thing is that, it took a pic of my friend who wasn't wearing much. She isn't very happy with that.

I cannot find a way to delete the pic. It flashes on the title screen wherever you select the game.

It's not in any of the screen captures and deleting the save files online and the system did nothing because as soon as you boot it up again and select that game, there it is.

Help.

Where do you even see these? I've had lots of pictures taken, but never see them in the game/capture gallery/etc.

Where do you even see these? I've had lots of pictures taken, but never see them in the game/capture gallery/etc.

I'm sure I read in a review somewhere that it shows when you are selecting the game again, BUT I've never seen it.

Sony says, “At the end of every mini-game, you get to take a celebration photo. It will then appear as a slideshow in that mini-game’s title screen.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...-now-available-free-playstation-store-europe/

Help.

I'd say delete the save file, which is a pain obviously, but other than that, maybe play that game a lot to take new photos in the hope it overwrites it?

rafaelr

Still waiting on Sony Europe to list our store updates (vr version is live but the store page hasn't updated).

As consolation I've got some more EU codes. ;)
Only grab if you've got your VR legs though:

(Quote to reveal)

PM me if you are also interested in trying it too ^_^ trying to get the word out since we are not listed yet.

took the 4th code, thank you very much! gonna try it after work today.

Still waiting on Sony Europe to list our store updates (vr version is live but the store page hasn't updated).

(Quote to reveal)

PM me if you are also interested in trying it too ^_^ trying to get the word out since we are not listed yet.

Grabbed a US code a while ago (thank you) have to say that I love the VR mode, really great stuff!

Okada

Yeah, I set mine up last night and am really struggling with the tracking. It'll drift to the left over time, the controllers wobble/drift like crazy and the headset jitters quite a bit.

I've tried loads of different setups too, camera on top of TV, camera below TV, camera on a shelf, sitting 6ft away, sitting 3ft away, lights on/off, re calibrating it constatntly etc.

It's really bummed me out as the content is great fun (Rez, Rigs, DriveClub, Bound etc. are amazing) and I've still played it for hours but I feel like I'm fighting with it constantly.

To be honest, having a Vive probably doesn't help things either as I've experienced how good the tracking could be.

(Quote to reveal)

I was wondering why I couldn't find it anywhere. I am sure there are lots of people like me browsing the VR section willing to spend a couple of £ even to just experience a new game.

(Quote to reveal)

Grabbed the 5th one. Thank you. Will load up in the next ten mins and give it a go. Will definitely give you some feedback

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
What exactly is causing it I wonder? I havent had any tracking issues with head or move fortunately. Only issue i've had is the display cutting out for a few seconds here and there randomly.

I don't know and nobody seems to have an answer. I check this thread and the Reddit board multiple times a day to see if there's been a catchall, but honestly I don't think there is or will be. These issues existed all the way back to the move and gaf had all different techniques to fix it then as well. I ultimately think the camera is the bottleneck but I don't know enough about the tech to be sure. I've tried the following

- camera above and below TV. Above was worse than below but both still had it. Tried head level on my camera tripod not much difference.

- lights on, pitch black, TV off, lights dim, etc.

- had a picture frame in background took that down, covered any ir or any sort of reflective surfaces

- tried different distances. The pulsing is far less prominent up close, but move controllers are much less usable, they fall out of the play area easier and the calibration goes nuts in until dawn.

- oh yeah also tried power cycling and whatnot. Plus the calibration procedures multiple times under different conditions.

The newest fix going around is to try moving the extension cable, which I'm going to try, but to me that just sounds like the reason that's working is because people are sitting closer to the camera, and again when you're close to the camera the move controllers get all funky. I'm gonna try it before I return it and if in the next few days some magic fix pops up I'll be ecstatic, but I won't be holding my breath.

There's always Vive if you really crave the VR experiences even after returning.

Way too much money for me right now to build a PC setup of the right caliber and drop 800 on vive.

rafaelr

Eh, I shows on the account page, but not in the download list. What's up with that?

reload download list? always takes one or two refreshes for me to show up.

also, regarding the move controllers:
what i don´t get is why they are sometimes moving around if i hold them completely still. shouldn´t the gyros be telling it that it´s not moving at all.

So found out my work is selling the launch bundle. We occasionally get bigger than average employee discount which means I could buy one for $325 before tax. That's almost cheap enough to get one out of curiosity even though I really don't care for vr, but I am a big playstation fan and I like trying out their weird experiments.

I was curious if there's any kind of shooting gallery or lightgun style games that use the move wands? It seems like it might be a fun arcade type experience.

My biggest caveat is I don't think this thing will.be supported for very long beyond the occasional extra mode in a bigger regular game, and I buy most games on pc these days. Also the tracking issues sound like a huge pita, along with the mess of wires and setup.

tr00per

So found out my work is selling the launch bundle. We occasionally get bigger than average employee discount which means I could buy one for $325 before tax. That's almost cheap enough to get one out of curiosity even though I really don't care for vr, but I am a big playstation fan and I like trying out their weird experiments.

I was curious if there's any kind of shooting gallery or lightgun style games that use the move wands? It seems like it might be a fun arcade type experience.

My biggest caveat is I don't think this thing will.be supported for very long beyond the occasional extra mode in a bigger regular game, and I buy most games on pc these days. Also the tracking issues sound like a huge pita, along with the mess of wires and setup.

Brookhaven, mortal blitz, until dawn, and the heist are out right now

KORNdoggy

there are 230 VR games in the works. i don't think content will be a huge issue for a while at least.

the wires aren't a huge issue either since they all seem to be external from anything else. i was worried it would be a taffled mess but was surprised it's pretty neat.

tracking issues seem random. so i guess cross your fingers and you set it up correctly/get a solid unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom