• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMephistoX

Playing Borderlands 2 on the Biggest screen in Cinema Mode was pretty awesome. The visuals goes hand in hand low resolution. Also played the airplane scene in Uncharted 3 and it pretty much felt like a watching a movie at a movie theater XD.

Uh what? You can run non VR games in this? Now I have to buy this!

Playroom VR is separate, free and amazing!

Much to my surprise, I actually got a little dizzy/queasy playing Scavenger's Odyssey tonight. There's a section in part 1 where you're doing a lot of upside-down traversal while having to fight enemies that did me in. I've been fine with everything else I've played though.

That game made me feel sick for 6 hours. Even playing headmaster makes me a bit queezy (level 18 requires a lot of quick head motions). I can't do roller coasters due to the same reason, so hoping continuous VR will assist.

I just bought Eve:Gunjack and Sports Bar VR. I need to spend 6 more bucks to hit 100. Any suggestions? Here is what I have so far

Thumper
Batman VR
Until Dawn VR
Rez HD
Gunjack
Pool Bar VR
Headmaster
VR Worlds

Wow.... I can't remember a launch where I bought so many games.

Uh what? You can run non VR games in this? Now I have to buy this!

Yeah it's pretty cool. But I think I'm still getting my VR legs so I wouldn't dare play a complete non-VR game just yet. But for something like Borderlands 2 or One Piece where I can just hop in and do a couple of side missions, I can definetly see myself playing them in Cinema Mode.

You know what looks really freaking good in cinema view? Movies/TV shows on Netflix that are still 4:3 ratio. The "black bars" blend in pretty well with the surroundings so it eliminates the "wasted" real estate quite well.

You know what looks really freaking good in cinema view? Movies/TV shows on Netflix that are still 4:3 ratio. The "black bars" blend in pretty well with the surroundings so it eliminates the "wasted" real estate quite well.
Yep, I've been watching some Tom and Jerry on BluRay and the 4:3 makes it look so great. CG films like PIxars look pretty good too.

Belfast

Man, I know its silly, but its kind of cool having Rush of Blood, just so I can break out a cool theme park ride in my house whenever I want.

aparisi2274

in the Playroom VR, after you finish a game and it takes a selfie of you looking all stupid in your VR helmet, where does it save that picture to? I couldnt find it...

Hawk269

Was at work and out of the blue my wife sends me a text that if I wanted to get my PSVR Bundle to go ahead and get it...of course on my way home I dropped by Best Buy and picked it up.

I have never experienced VR ever, well other than the Virtua Boy back in the day. My only reference is the impressions from many of you here on Gaf, which made me pretty excited to try it out. After using it for a bit, I can definitely see the potential in the format, but and I hate to say it but it feels like it is a bit too early for show time and it needed a bit more time or more power full hardware to drive it.

Visually, games look very jaggie and feels like the resolution is very low. Driveclub looks horrid in my opinion and had a lot of shimmering and jaggies everywhere. It was pretty much a mess. But the feeling I got was pretty damn cool and I can see how this with better resolution could be amazing.

I also have some issues with it that is causing me to not enjoy it as much. So far in Rigs and a few other games, it looses where my center is. In Rigs, I was playing fine and about mid way through the round my field of view shifted completely to the right. So in order for the hud to be centered I had to be facing to the right, it was just not comfortable at all. It also happened in a few other games as well. I am sure there is a setting or some recalibration I have re-run in order to fix this.

I also notice that text, especially smaller text is hard to read because of the resolution. When looking at the PS4 dashboard, text in the lower corners are blurry. I did the eye check where you go through and calibrate it, but it did nothing with the blurriness in the corners, especially in the lower right/left corner.

I only been using it for a few hours, so I want to give it more time before I decide to return it, but my initial are not that impressive. The direct comparison I can make about the visuals and how low resolution they look and the jaggies is the 3D3..it almost feels like I am holding a 3ds very close to my eyes. I did find that demo where you are on what appears a roller coaster and the clowns attack visually was the most impressive game I tested so far.

If anyone has any tips on what exactly I should be recalibrating to help it would be appreciated. Even with the low resolution and IQ, I am intrigued by the tech and I can see the potential and want to give it a fair chance, so any input would be greatly appreciated.

aparisi2274

Was at work and out of the blue my wife sends me a text that if I wanted to get my PSVR Bundle to go ahead and get it...of course on my way home I dropped by Best Buy and picked it up.

I have never experienced VR ever, well other than the Virtua Boy back in the day. My only reference is the impressions from many of you here on Gaf, which made me pretty excited to try it out. After using it for a bit, I can definitely see the potential in the format, but and I hate to say it but it feels like it is a bit too early for show time and it needed a bit more time or more power full hardware to drive it.

Visually, games look very jaggie and feels like the resolution is very low. Driveclub looks horrid in my opinion and had a lot of shimmering and jaggies everywhere. It was pretty much a mess. But the feeling I got was pretty damn cool and I can see how this with better resolution could be amazing.

I also have some issues with it that is causing me to not enjoy it as much. So far in Rigs and a few other games, it looses where my center is. In Rigs, I was playing fine and about mid way through the round my field of view shifted completely to the right. So in order for the hud to be centered I had to be facing to the right, it was just not comfortable at all. It also happened in a few other games as well. I am sure there is a setting or some recalibration I have re-run in order to fix this.

I also notice that text, especially smaller text is hard to read because of the resolution. When looking at the PS4 dashboard, text in the lower corners are blurry. I did the eye check where you go through and calibrate it, but it did nothing with the blurriness in the corners, especially in the lower right/left corner.

I only been using it for a few hours, so I want to give it more time before I decide to return it, but my initial are not that impressive. The direct comparison I can make about the visuals and how low resolution they look and the jaggies is the 3D3..it almost feels like I am holding a 3ds very close to my eyes. I did find that demo where you are on what appears a roller coaster and the clowns attack visually was the most impressive game I tested so far.

If anyone has any tips on what exactly I should be recalibrating to help it would be appreciated. Even with the low resolution and IQ, I am intrigued by the tech and I can see the potential and want to give it a fair chance, so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Are you wearing the helmet correctly? have you adjusted the depth that the visor sits off your face? There is a button on the underside of the visor that allows you to slide to and from your face, which adjusts what you see in the visor itself...

I have been using it since last week, and I can not say that I have the same issues as you, but granted I do wear glasses when I play because I have trouble seeing things in the distance, so wearing the glasses with the visor helps to keep everything clean and crisp.

You may want to send a tweet to @AskPlaystation or look up some how to videos on their site to make sure you are wearing the gear properly.

Holy shit guys, I just played Sports Bar VR online with 5 other people and it was so much fun! I now understand why social vr is going to be huge. It was a little laggy, but that didn't detract from the experience. It's seriously a great time for $20. I hope more gaffers jump on it!

I'll buy it tomorrow if there is enough gaffers who have it.

Chris_C

wow, i played the RIGS demo several times in a row and finally felt like I got the controls. Now I am finally seeing why this game has so much hype around it.

I changed to right-stick aiming after suggestions (despite my better judgement) and things clicked. I'd pick it up if it were $40, but I have a feeling Loafing Human might be my next purchase, despite apprehension regarding locomotion.

Hawk269

Are you wearing the helmet correctly? have you adjusted the depth that the visor sits off your face? There is a button on the underside of the visor that allows you to slide to and from your face, which adjusts what you see in the visor itself...

I have been using it since last week, and I can not say that I have the same issues as you, but granted I do wear glasses when I play because I have trouble seeing things in the distance, so wearing the glasses with the visor helps to keep everything clean and crisp.

You may want to send a tweet to @AskPlaystation or look up some how to videos on their site to make sure you are wearing the gear properly.

Thanks. I think I am wearing it fine, I did use that button. I do have a big head and it is pretty snug...when I use that button and the vision is clear, It is not snug enough and I get a lot of light coming in from the top/sides. I am going to mess with it some more. While I have my underwhelming impressions because of the resolution and how poor the IQ is, it still seems very neat and as mentioned, I don't want to take it back without giving it a fair shot and testing things out and ensuring things are working in proper order.

BTW...What is the name of the platformer everyone seems to enjoy? Are there more demo's that are not on the demo disk on PSN?

tr00per

Ah interesting. Good looking out!

I finally got to have a deep VR session today. I got through all the demos on the disc. Some observations:

-for the longest time I wasn't getting a video feed on the social screen once I started any demos outside of the first, but I still had audio. So I assumed only one of the demos had the function built into the demo. Turns out in my playing of Headmaster I had loosened the cables slightly. And then I remembered that my sound setup in the living room uses optical. Derp.

-I felt a little tingly when I played gnog, here they lie, until dawn, and eve but I only felt nausea when I moved the analog stick in Rez (what does this do exactly?) and when I leaned forward IRL while the car was in motion in Driveclub.

-the tumble vr demo is a good showcase of the 3D audio. As is Wayward sky and job simulator

-I had the same experience as most people did with Wayward sky. Got 3 minutes in and quit the game knowing I would buy it. Had the same sensation with battle zone but had to refuse the 60 dollar price tag :/ there's just too many other VR games i can get with that. I'll probably get it eventually

-Wayward sky and job simulator seem to have the best handle on move tracking. They smooth it out vs something like until dawn which appears to use more raw data (perhaps for better accuracy in 1st person?) but to me those two feel better. Tumble lies somewhere in between. Oddly enough those are also two of the best looking games as well.

-the launch portfolio is very diverse. Bravo on the developers and sony.

-GNOG I think makes the best illustration of how VR can make any applicable game better. On the social screen it doesn't look like much but once you enter that world it's pretty crazy.

-the graphics in Driveclub VR are not that bad. Of course it's not the original game, but it's definitely more than playable. Looking around the car is really really cool. Surprised how well the other cameras worked. Also an interesting choice to make the menus the way they did

-job simulator
. Oh man that is another world. Standing games can be done with psvr but your setup has to be on point. You can easily tell when you leave the cameras safe zone.

When I was told to stand in the circle and I found it behind me i knew I was in for something special. And then when I realized there were things below me that I had to crouch to reach! :O

The game itself is hilarious and very fun. It definitely makes the biggest case for room scale. If sony offered a second camera for 360 degree play I would not hesitate to buy one. I really want to get this one but the price is a little steep for right now.

-deliberately messed with my camera /seating setup in the demo disc menu with interesting results. The "room" will keep its scale, so it's like you moved in real life. The perspective changes. Pretty cool

-dressing up the controllers in the virtual world (like Wayward sky and the Playroom) is a small touch but it always makes me smile.

-Harmonix music VR is surprisingly deep. Might pick it up when I get high haha

-until dawn rush of blood has some nods to the original game without spoilers. Love it. Had to get used to dual wielding again! It's like being back in the arcade haha. More of that please. Though I found it odd that there was no cart around the player.

Catlateral damage
in VR doesn't seem to translate that well. Basic movement is very awkward and the move controls (while 1 to 1) would never seem to work how I wanted them too. I'll give it another shot but I do appreciate that you can still play it in cinematic mode

As of this moment I think my top 4 most impressive that I've tried are

Playroom VR
Wayward sky
Job simulator
Battle zone

Granted, I haven't yet played rigs, keep talking, vev, London heist, ocean descent, or anything else not on the demo disc

aparisi2274

Thanks. I think I am wearing it fine, I did use that button. I do have a big head and it is pretty snug...when I use that button and the vision is clear, It is not snug enough and I get a lot of light coming in from the top/sides. I am going to mess with it some more. While I have my underwhelming impressions because of the resolution and how poor the IQ is, it still seems very neat and as mentioned, I don't want to take it back without giving it a fair shot and testing things out and ensuring things are working in proper order.

BTW...What is the name of the platformer everyone seems to enjoy? Are there more demo's that are not on the demo disk on PSN?

Download the Playroom VR from the store, and play the platformer, that is what we are all talking about...

Slixshot

Banned
After spending a bit more time with PSVR, I think I'm just too cynical for virtual reality in general. It never feels "real" to me. I never get the sensation that something flying at my face is actually going to hit me. It feels like I'm watching a giant screen but not like I'm actually inside the game.

I watched several other people play yesterday and they were all freaking out and flinching at things that flew at them, acting really scared and uncomfortable at unfamiliar situations. I just don't get any of those feelings with VR.

Am I a broken person?

Bro maybe you're just playin the wrong games. There are certainly things that are like "yes, you are doing VR! Here is something flying at your face so you better duck!" But there is also something like Battlezone and Rigs which, in my opinion, puts gameplay first. Would highly recommend giving those demos a shot.

I played rigs for 3 hours tonight like it was nothing.

Maligna

Banned

Did you take the protective film off the lenses?

Soi-Fong

Bro maybe you're just playin the wrong games. There are certainly things that are like "yes, you are doing VR! Here is something flying at your face so you better duck!" But there is also something like Battlezone and Rigs which, in my opinion, puts gameplay first. Would highly recommend giving those demos a shot.

I played rigs for 3 hours tonight like it was nothing.

Yeah Rigs is just amazing... I never even notice that I'm so into the game. Every goal and I go nuts from the thing.

The best part really is feeling like you're there and you're this athlete in this awesome league. They do so well in making it feel like an actual sporting event.

Anyway, what Rigs are you guys using?

I'm sticking with the PainKiller right now which is a Mirage Engineer. I've been freaking loving it, but I've been thinking of branching out to another Rig. Not sure yet.

Do we have a guide for what Rigs are good for which gamemodes or which types of teammates?

Hawk269

Did you take the protective film off the lenses?

LMAO...Yeah, one of the first things I did. Like I said, the blurriness is like in the lower left/right corners. I am sure it is just an adjustment on my head or some other adjustment I need to make to get it perfectly dialed in.

LMAO...Yeah, one of the first things I did. Like I said, the blurriness is like in the lower left/right corners. I am sure it is just an adjustment on my head or some other adjustment I need to make to get it perfectly dialed in.

That's normal. The pixel density is higher in the middle of the headset than the corners. It's by design to maximize the "sweet spot" viewing area.

aparisi2274

Once you have the visor to a point where you see things clearly are you turning the dial on the headstrap to tighten everything up? if you do not, it will be loose and may cause your experience to go in and out of focus.

leehom

My spouse who despises gaming other than candy crush was blown away. She enjoyed every minute of the demos I had her try. I forgot which game and scene, but she actually hit the headset with her hand. I think it was because something was flying at her face and she was trying to bat it away.

I think PSVR is the best peripheral to date. This is a guy who has owned both gimmicky kinects (motion control), 3ds (3d), and wii u (touch pad controller) etc.

Soi-Fong

Ugh. I'm going to have to get a Pro now. I built a 1.2k gaming rig and now it looks like I'm leaning back to console. :(

I've been thinking of getting the Pro as well. And this is coming from a guy who has all the VR Headsets including the Oculus Touch controllers for development.

It's just cool to see Sony showing console VR can work and developers can jump in since there'll be actual consumers who can buy them.

It's been hard to develop just for the Vive and Rift since your sales are so small.

I've been thinking of getting the Pro as well. And this is coming from a guy who has all the VR Headsets including the Oculus Touch controllers for development.

It's just cool to see Sony showing console VR can work and developers can jump in since there'll be actual consumers who can buy them.

It's been hard to develop just for the Vive and Rift since your sales are so small.

The issue is that the content is going to come for the headset with highest volume. It's clearly going to be PSVR. Don't get me wrong, I'll still be using my rig for MS published games and PC exclusives but I've had a huge perspective shift now.

I also bet Sports Bar VR will sell more copies on ps4 than PC.

DjRalford

Go to devices, VR - eye to eye distance and setup your IPD from 70cm away from the camera.

Run through the full VR headset light calibration, and camera calibration in the same section.

Load up the adjust headset position bit with the text on the black background.

Put headset on and tighten 75% of the way

Shut one eye and move the headset in small amounts up, down, left and right, twisting the headset band round on your head too if necessary, until the open eye is in focus.

Shut that eye and do similar for the other eye whilst frequently going back to check the first eye is still in focus.

You should be able to read all the text with no bloom of distortion anywhere when you're done

Finish up tightening the headset on the wheel.

The headset may feel off center on your head, but all you need to worry about is the visual clarity.

Make sure your sat 5ft - 6ft from the camera, and align yourself just left of the left hand lens as you look at the camera (when you show on the screen you should barely be out the box on the left hand side as you look at it.

That's pretty much all i can offer on adjustments to improve viewing / tracking.

EDIT - Also play some playrrom stuff, seriously that shows off the most potential and has some of the cleanest graphics of any VR game.

Mezoly

Called Sony for the bad headset jitter / wobble. Turned out the VR extension cable is the problem. Once I removed it and hooked the headset directly the wobble was gone. I know I saw a couple of people here having this problem so it might be the same problem. Sony will send me a new one but that mean I will be without it for few days.

UPDATE: I tried with the extension again with close range and it seems there is no wobble. So the costumer service rep assumption was wrong He just forced me to be close to the camera by removing the extension. The thing is I tried without the extension with jobs simulator and I had no wobble but I didn't test it a lot maybe it only happens at that game when I go back a little. It seems the issue to happen within a feet and a half. I did multiple testing in Wayward sky main menu where I could spot the wobbling easily with the extension and it seems on my reclining couch when I sit relaxed and lean my head back I get the wobble but when I lean completely forward I don't get the wobble. I measured the distance to be a Feet and a half of difference between leaning forward and backward. I'll call Sony again tomorrow to cancel the cable replacement. What sucks is the moves will get out of range easily when I sit very close to the camera.

Hawk269

I am already getting a Pro and I just got the PSVR. I have not been too keen on the IQ and the visuals in many VR games so far, so just curious what advantages can the PRO give the PSVR? Isn't the PSVR limited to it's max screen resolution regardless of the hardware or can it go higher with better hardware? Frankly, I would just like some better IQ in the games, for example Driveclub while fun was visually very poor in the IQ department, if the PRO can clean things up or even up the res a bit I think it would be a big improvement.

I am already getting a Pro and I just got the PSVR. I have not been too keen on the IQ and the visuals in many VR games so far, so just curious what advantages can the PRO give the PSVR? Isn't the PSVR limited to it's max screen resolution regardless of the hardware or can it go higher with better hardware? Frankly, I would just like some better IQ in the games, for example Driveclub while fun was visually very poor in the IQ department, if the PRO can clean things up or even up the res a bit I think it would be a big improvement.

Farpoint is already on record as having a massive IQ improvement. Thought they may have said double the graphic quality in some manner.

Hawk269

Anyone have links to official videos that help when you are having issues with the headset? Someone recommended I search, but most video's I have found are annoying kids spewing stupid stuff.

farisr

I am already getting a Pro and I just got the PSVR. I have not been too keen on the IQ and the visuals in many VR games so far, so just curious what advantages can the PRO give the PSVR? Isn't the PSVR limited to it's max screen resolution regardless of the hardware or can it go higher with better hardware?
Well the headset's max resolution is 1080p, but the games aren't necessarily running at that. And seeing as the IQ can vary greatly from title to title, have a feeling that the pro is going to have a decent impact on IQ by being able to hit 1080p on the games that are running sub-1080p on the ps4 right now. And of course they can also use supersampling if the game is already running at 1080p.

Farpoint is the only one we have any real details for, and on the Pro they"doubled the number of rendered pixels"

(For reference, not necessarily the change happening here, 1080p has slightly more than double the amount of pixels than 720p)

Soi-Fong

If the Pro can clean up even the aliasing on some titles, that'll be huge. For me, Pro will be worth it if it can smoothen out some of the jaggies Rigs has. That sorta thing.

hawk2025

I would expect the impact of the Pro to be particularly relevant for VR games with low IQ.

It's the lowest hanging fruit of the device right now.

Hawk269

Well the headset's max resolution is 1080p, but the games aren't necessarily running at that. And seeing as the IQ can vary greatly from title to title, have a feeling that the pro is going to have a decent impact on IQ by being able to hit 1080p on the games that are running sub-1080p on the ps4 right now. And of course they can also use supersampling if the game is already running at 1080p.

Farpoint is the only one we have any real details for, and on the Pro they"doubled the number of rendered pixels"

(For reference, not necessarily the change happening here, 1080p has slightly more than double the amount of pixels 720p )

Thanks for the information. I really want to ensure I give the PSVR a fair shot and my initial impressions mainly due to the poor IQ and resolution is what is bringing things down for me and if the PRO can improve IQ and possibly resolution it could be a very big deal for me and many. With PRO getting closer by the minute, I am hoping we get more details. I am an Elite Plus Rewards member at Best Buy so I have 45 days to return the PSVR, so I do have some time.

Saberus

And as I remember one developer here of Gaf said, the Pro has extra GPU tech just for VR that has not been talked about yet, so that sounds very interesting.

panda-zebra

Don't keep your head still and let your eyes do all the work, that's kinda missing the point of VR. And take every effort to set up the headset to suit you personally and have it sit tight. Light leak from below is not uncommon, don't remember anyone saying above and sides being an issue - are you pulling the headset back far enough?

Tagg9

And as I remember one developer here of Gaf said, the Pro has extra GPU tech just for VR that has not been talked about yet, so that sounds very interesting.

Haha what? If this is the case, why wouldn't Sony have mentioned it at the September unveling?

panda-zebra

Haha what? If this is the case, why wouldn't Sony have mentioned it at the September unveling?

Not heard that myself, but assuming there's something to it, the last thing Sony wanted to do before PSVR launched would be make any noises about ps4 not being good enough for the full experience - imagine the clickbait articles that would have spawned.

mrobbo

Neo Member
A developer over on Reddit posted some comments about the differences the PS4 Pro will make to VR.

The 2.4x power increase is extremely appealing to us. It would be possible to hit the 200% over-res, and likely 90fps.
We are in conversations with UE4 VR engineers, discussing what we could do with all the extra horse power. Expect the visual qualities of PSVR on the playstation 4 Pro to be comparable, if not better than Vive/Oculus running on a minimum spec machine.
This time next year, games on the Pro should raise the bar for visual quality. Hopefully we see improvements in tracking too. Tracking quality is the final missing puzzle piece for Sony.

Link

Got my PSVR ordered to be delivered on the 3rd Nov and my Pro the next week, so looking forward to seeing the before and after.

Just finished Rez Area X for the first time and that is the killer app for PSVR hands down. I was grinning from ear to ear! The colors and that music. Area X in VR is simply incredible!

I am going to make everyone I know try this level!

I'm such a baby when it comes to horror movies and games but I forced myself to get Rush of Blood because I love it so much and I did the Kitchen demo JUST because I love being in VR SO SO much.

wege12

I really wish the tracking of the move controllers was better. I often have issues of them being accurate and just not being tracked at all. Vive's motion controllers are in another league. I'm seriously considering returning my PSVR and getting an HTC Vive.

Also, is there any word on getting PSVR to work with PC VR games?

Chris_C

I kind of want a VR optimized version of L.A. Noire.

I think reading suspects faces and reactions, as well as exploring environments for clues on a case-by-case basis could be absolutely amazing.

I really wish the tracking of the move controllers was better. I often have issues of them being accurate and just not being tracked at all. Vive's motion controllers are in another league. I'm seriously considering returning my PSVR and getting an HTC Vive.

Also, is there any word on getting PSVR to work with PC VR games?

There is no question Vive currently has the best tracking of the big 3. The game library is also bigger on PC. That being said, the install base of PSVR is going to dwarf the Vive/Rift very quickly. So games will be likely aligned more and more with the Move controllers with some changes for PC.

As for PC VR w/ PSVR there is already some preliminary work. But I would say we are a ways away. If they can get Revive to work with PSVR holy crap I would be happy.

Saberus

Could not find the Gaf post about it, but here is something from Eurogamer

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-4k-gaming-on-ps4-pro-tech-analysis

""On top of this, we now understand that the Pro GPU includes custom hardware for accelerating virtual reality. While we're still chasing down the precise detail here, logical steps forward would be akin to what we've seen in Nvidia's hardware - stereo geometry processing, and multi-resolution shading. The latter in particular is a big deal: it would allow Pro developers to concentrate GPU resources on elements of the scene that are actually visible, as opposed to fully processing the periphery of the viewport, with resolution literally wasted in the final lens warp.""

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom