• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sports Bar has potential but it's often just janky enough to be uncomfortable. For example, it makes you stand on a location and it wants you to face in the direction the feet are facing. For some reason that direction was 45 degrees left-of-center of my camera, making it way too easy to accidentally block out my left move controller. Also, it made me stand pretty close to the TV, which seemed to really limit the vertical range in which it would recognize my controllers. My camera is on top of the TV, so this was especially annoying when reaching down. It was kind of a struggle picking up skee balls and the controller often spazzed out when I'd try to roll them.

Couldn't quickly find any calibration options, and holding start didn't redirect the feet position. I had to hop out, but I'll try again in a bit. It'll probably be better playing with humans, I suppose.

Yeah. The feet being off on an angle was really odd.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Stealing something from a reddit post for any of you who are having trouble with darts in Sports Bar

Aim dart, Hold T from hand not holding dart and the dart is locked into position. Pull back and throw. I had a blast.

Can't try right now but will later.

Tumle

Just watched alumette (or how you spell it :) )
And first thing in my mind was that was the "little match girl".. and found out that was in the credits :)
It was very well made and hope there will be more like these :)
So sad though.. but that's" the little match girl".. hopefully the next one that comes out ends on a little more happy note :)

Saberus

Hey, I'm loving this thing, was going to wait for the Pro, but Gaf hype got me and I have no regrets, I notice one thing that could be a help with tracking for the duel shock for some.

Like many of us, when we got our ps4's we selected to dim the light bar, as we found no purpose for it being so bright, well I found a reason to pump it up, least for my room, it seems to make the tracking of the controller better.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Driveclub VR gets a lot of flack but I really like it.

Yeah, I've been playing it all evening. I just did a cruise in Japan (first course) and I kept stopping to look around and enjoy the scenery. My favorite part though was being stopped in a tunnel and in a car with a sunroof and looking up and seeing all of the detail on the tunnel ceiling.

VR has actually made me preorder a PS4 pro :/

DjRalford

Yeah, I've been playing it all evening. I just did a cruise in Japan (first course) and I kept stopping to look around and enjoy the scenery. My favorite part though was being stopped in a tunnel and in a car with a sunroof and looking up and seeing all of the detail on the tunnel ceiling.

VR has actually made me preorder a PS4 pro :/

Yeah, it didn't go down well when i told the missus that i had to get a pro now after saying i wouldn't get it due to the UHD drive, although i have a plan that involves a loan repayment holiday, £100 of my £300 worth of nectar points and a sold PS4 launch model :)

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, it didn't go down well when i told the missus that i had to get a pro now after saying i wouldn't get it due to the UHD drive, although i have a plan that involves a loan repayment holiday, £100 of my £300 worth of nectar points and a sold PS4 launch model :)

Haha, sounds similar to my plan! My conversation went something like:

"Don't worry about it. If I sell my old PS4 and use some gift cards / rewards points, the Pro is basically free!"

doby

Hey, I'm loving this thing, was going to wait for the Pro, but Gaf hype got me and I have no regrets, I notice one thing that could be a help with tracking for the duel shock for some.

Like many of us, when we got our ps4's we selected to dim the light bar, as we found no purpose for it being so bright, well I found a reason to pump it up, least for my room, it seems to make the tracking of the controller better.

Completely forgot about this, well remembered!

Oh wow thanks for the tip.

So far I haven't had too much tracking issues, but I've mostly been playing thumper.

Thumper is amazing!!!

Also does Rez get more challenging or more engaging or something? All the hype on GaF has me a little lukewarm on it. I enjoy the visuals and music, but it just feels like I'm on auto pilot. I only played one level though, can't get away from thumper, gonna have to buy it.

Also is there no way to demo Superhypercube?

I'm probably gonna return it to walmart. Are returns on this thing easy? It's a great piece of tech, but it's not for me. It's not that i don't like it, its that i can't stand the feeling of something on my face. I'm all fidgety and it doesn't feel perfect. That way, i am not totally immersed.

DjRalford

So far I haven't had too much tracking issues, but I've mostly been playing thumper.

Thumper is amazing!!!

Also does Rez get more challenging or more engaging or something? All the hype on GaF has me a little lukewarm on it. I enjoy the visuals and music, but it just feels like I'm on auto pilot. I only played one level though, can't get away from thumper, gonna have to buy it.

Afaik when being used to track from the camera the controller automatically goes to bright regardless of what the setting is, so no need to change the setting.

I was impressed by Thumper too, Rez isn't my kind of game, my pick of the launch stuff is rush of blood, purely based off the demo, and Playroom, although i have Batman downloaded ready to play when i finish work this week.

Slixshot

Banned

Thumper is amazing!!!

Super Hyper Cube is on the demo disc (NA, at least)

Mob

Thumper is amazing!!!

There's a standalone demo of Superhypercube on the EU store.

So I'm experience that weird drift and tumbleVR again is unplayable. Noticed it in the London heist when the table would shift around - I think it happens when the controllers (move and ds4) are held up and obscure the headset from the view of the camera. My camera is set sorta low. where do you guys put it? have a feeling it needs to be eye level.

Tumble needs a setting that says to the game, push hole back 0.2m, 0.5m etc if it's gonna drift forward and you're sitting in the hole and it's unplayable.

D23

So i center myself to the left camera and I play at exactly 6 ft away. Also did all the calibration again...

whoa..

have not experience any drifting or tracking issues

newarrior

I'm probably gonna return it to walmart. Are returns on this thing easy? It's a great piece of tech, but it's not for me. It's not that i don't like it, its that i can't stand the feeling of something on my face. I'm all fidgety and it doesn't feel perfect. That way, i am not totally immersed.

I'm giving it one more go, but it crushes my head way too much, even at the loosest of settings. I also sweat like crazy when using it.

rSpooky

Ok Finally got a chance to "play" through Allumette and OH MY GOD.!

That is an amazing experience.. I could not believe how much I was in the action. It was like I was the camera.

Soi-Fong

Ok Finally got a chance to "play" through Allumette and OH MY GOD.!

That is an amazing experience.. I could not believe how much I was in the action. It was like I was the camera.

I'm torn between viewing this for the first time between my Rift or PSVR. Will prolly go with the PSVR just so I don't have to deal with the godrays.

Hard decision, but I have decided to return mine. The drifting issues and occasional wobble are killing it for me.

Its too bad because there are some amazing exclusive games.

majik13

I struggled a bit using my glasses at first, then remembered I had a pair of prescription sports goggles.

It makes PSVR feel like a bit of a ritual, slide the sofa apart, move my office chair into the living room, don the goggles and go in. But, it works quite well.

My big issue is that I picked up the Playstation Eye to use with my PSVR bundle move controllers to try and play some light gun games (RE: Umbrella Chronicles & Darkside Chronicles) and cannot get it to calibrate properly for the life of me. Cursor jumps all over no matter the lighting, distance, etc. It was a used PS Eye but the video feed seems fine, not sure of the problem at all.

Not sure if anyone answered you, but dont beleive you can use PSEye(PS3) for PSVR. You need the dual lens PS4 camera(there are 2 versions)

Edit: or maybe Im confused. You arent using the eye for PSVR? But just to play some move games?

Nags

Banned
Hard decision, but I have decided to return mine. The drifting issues and occasional wobble are killing it for me.

Ever since I moved the camera closer to where I'm sitting I have had 0 issues.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

I'm right there with you. Still hanging in there though, mainly because at the very least it'll be good for media and rhythm games.

Night time races in Driveclub VR are so good....

so_good.png

So true.

Seeing your dash lighting up from cars headlights behind you pulls you into the experience even more.

So I'm experience that weird drift and tumbleVR again is unplayable. Noticed it in the London heist when the table would shift around - I think it happens when the controllers (move and ds4) are held up and obscure the headset from the view of the camera. My camera is set sorta low. where do you guys put it? have a feeling it needs to be eye level.

Tumble needs a setting that says to the game, push hole back 0.2m, 0.5m etc if it's gonna drift forward and you're sitting in the hole and it's unplayable.

Yes apart from the other ways it can go wrong, obscuring even partial view of the headset by anything - controller ,hand, cat walking past, elbow, changes the pattern of the lights viewed by the camera and that causes the cpu to think there is movement, and you get shifted. So as well as worrying about everything else, you have to keep everything away from line of sight from the camera to the headset. And yet for various reasons, both headset and controller ideally should be in the center of the cameras visible view ... making it all a bit awkward because that sort of encourages controller in front of headset.

I wish Sony would develop a PSVR camera operating over the same port that split into two cameras with a Y cable. Then you would position both and it could use both to increase accuracy and rely on one if the other had any obscuring issues. They could put a little processor in there to do this so it was no extra CPU over the current solution. I'd pay for that. Its so damn close to a complete product. Just a bit more polish on the tracking solution.

Chris_C

Sports Bar has potential but it's often just janky enough to be uncomfortable. For example, it makes you stand on a location and it wants you to face in the direction the feet are facing. For some reason that direction was 45 degrees left-of-center of my camera, making it way too easy to accidentally block out my left move controller. Also, it made me stand pretty close to the TV, which seemed to really limit the vertical range in which it would recognize my controllers. My camera is on top of the TV, so this was especially annoying when reaching down. It was kind of a struggle picking up skee balls and the controller often spazzed out when I'd try to roll them.

Couldn't quickly find any calibration options, and holding start didn't redirect the feet position. I had to hop out, but I'll try again in a bit. It'll probably be better playing with humans, I suppose.

Thanks for the impressions. Really, all VR console games need demos. I'm hesitant to buy because frankly I'm just not sure how well they'll work with my lighting conditions or how dizzy they make me.

Holy shit guys, I just played Sports Bar VR online with 5 other people and it was so much fun! I now understand why social vr is going to be huge. It was a little laggy, but that didn't detract from the experience. It's seriously a great time for $20. I hope more gaffers jump on it!

SOLDIER

At the suggestion of folks here, I have ordered an extension cable for the camera, which is set to arrive tomorrow, and am planning to place the camera where my PC is:

bpX6kdH.jpg

This should give me more than enough feet to meet the requirements for both sitting and standing games: I can pull the desk chair back for the former, and I should have enough room to move my arms out for the latter.

The question is which spot on my desk would be ideal for the camera:

tiEovBI.jpg

I think the spot above the monitor (where the Berserk manga is) would be best: it wouldn't get moved at all, it keeps my monitor free from clutter, and there's a hole in the back of that part of the shelf I can slide the camera cord through.

Thing is, I'm a tall guy, 6'4 as illustrated above. Standing up, my head reaches where the green circle is. I'm wondering then if it's best to keep the camera at chest-level or otherwise. I still think that spot is best, but if anyone feel that directly on top of the monitor is ideal, or some other place, let me know. I want to be done with this so I can finally play the VR games without compromise.

Yeah it was smudgy and had the lens covers. That cleaned up fine but there are 2 specs under the lens. They are small but bothersome. I wish it was simple to swap it, but it is the bundle and Best Buy only has the standalone headset stocked.
I went to my local Best Buy and got the Accidental Damage plan. It was $70, but it covers the thing for 2 years and isn't a one-shot. It's stories like the above, getting scratches on the lens (which has already happened to me), and the sheer mobility of the device that swayed me. Plus, I think $70 is a whole lot easier to stomach than $400, should something worse happen to the headset.

Soi-Fong

stop this

I already own enough PSVR games! Seriously though, best launch lineup of all time.

Yeah.. I need to stop myself from getting more games. Just bought Sportsbar VR and I'm really itching for Thumper and Rez.

Then Battlefield 1 is gonna come out this Friday.. Too many games. haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom