• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where do you even see these? I've had lots of pictures taken, but never see them in the game/capture gallery/etc.

I'm sure I read in a review somewhere that it shows when you are selecting the game again, BUT I've never seen it.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...-now-available-free-playstation-store-europe/

I'd say delete the save file, which is a pain obviously, but other than that, maybe play that game a lot to take new photos in the hope it overwrites it?

It doesn't appear in the capture galleries but appears in game at the title screen when you select a game.

I've already tried deleting the save files, both on the system and online. It doesn't delete the pic.

Still waiting on Sony Europe to list our store updates (vr version is live but the store page hasn't updated).

As consolation I've got some more EU codes. ;)
Only grab if you've got your VR legs though:

(Quote to reveal)

PM me if you are also interested in trying it too ^_^ trying to get the word out since we are not listed yet.

Well I've just given it a blast and wow interesting. I was not expecting that!!

When it started I thought uh oh, as movement was feeling weird and I ended up upside down. Felt slighty giddy so slowed right down and just took time to adjust. The feeling passed really quickly so I completed the configuration level and went into the fresh water level.

I love the style and when the level loaded I was omg at the environment. Looks really cool but I wasn't great at finding energy on that one. Will definitely come back to this later and from what I've played so far it's really cool.

Any "smokers" will find this a total trip lol

KORNdoggy

It doesn't appear in the capture galleries but appears in game at the title screen when you select a game.

I've already tried deleting the save files, both on the system and online. It doesn't delete the pic.

i'd assume there is a limit to the amount of pictures it saves? in which case, keep playing and keep taking pictures until it starts replacing old ones.

crimilde

Banned
It's finally here! Now I have to actually try to focus on work for the remainder of the day haha. Can't wait to get home and plug this baby in.

CvHtBrwW8AAFbpS.jpg:large

I was complaining about tracking yesterday but today played about an hour of tumble with no headset glides or flicks or anything just the normal controller out of sight errot. Same time of day, same environment.
Thinking that either
A) once you notice a slight tracking glitch you start hunting them and get a bit woozy and annoyed
B) heat build up changes tracking accuracy
C) software has some setup bug that an app quit/restart doesnt necessarily change.

How's it like to play regular games with the PSVR? And how often do you guys use it to play regular games, if at all?

I find it really good. Played some PT and Trackmania Turbo and will have a go on Wasteland 2 later. From initial reactions on Gaf I thought it would be really bad but myself and others have definitely been pleasantly suprised. PT feels almost like in vr as the screen is so big. Makes it much scarier lol

Okada

How's it like to play regular games with the PSVR? And how often do you guys use it to play regular games, if at all?

I played a few matches of Pro Evo last night while the wife was watching the TV and it was decent.

We used to have a 1080p projector in the house and it felt similar to that, maybe a little lower quality but with better black levels.

Give the other stages a go when you do ;)

Yep, hopefully in about an hr I should be able to fire back up. Will try all the levels. Definitely impressive and unique. Almost felt a bit like I was in the film innerspace haha

Do you recommend a level above others?

crimilde

Banned
PSN down for anyone else? Im trying to sign into the store, but none of my 2 step text messages are being recieved. I have tried seemingly everything. Also looks like a lot of people having issues here in the comments

http://downdetector.com/status/playstation-network

Apparently they are having issues:

Ask PlayStation UK ‏@AskPS_UK 31m31 minutes ago
Some PSN services are currently unavailable. Our engineers are investigating the problem. Keep visiting http://status.playstation.com for updates.

tr00per

I was complaining about tracking yesterday but today played about an hour of tumble with no headset glides or flicks or anything just the normal controller out of sight errot. Same time of day, same environment.
Thinking that either
A) once you notice a slight tracking glitch you start hunting them and get a bit woozy and annoyed
B) heat build up changes tracking accuracy
C) software has some setup bug that an app quit/restart doesnt necessarily change.

When you say controller out of sight error what do you mean?

I like it a lot. It's like having a projector in a pitch black room. Better for movies than games

majik13

Apparently they are having issues:

Ask PlayStation UK ‏@AskPS_UK 31m31 minutes ago
Some PSN services are currently unavailable. Our engineers are investigating the problem. Keep visiting http://status.playstation.com for updates.

Yeah, havent tested if my PS4 works, but only trying to log onto the store in my phone, seems to login past the username and password, but cant 2step, no codes

I like it a lot. It's like having a projector in a pitch black room. Better for movies than games

Yeah so in tumble the controller turns red when it starts getting out of the zone (and plays a Nasty noise) and where I was sat, that was knee level. I should have moved the camera down more but was OK with the headset tracking, so just didn't want to jinx anything.

EmbersToAshes

Neo Member
I wish the demo of RIGS showed how truly awesome the game is. The matches are endorphin pumping bliss.

Totally agree. Took me a while to get past the nausea I was getting from it (the tutorial finished me off first day) but now i'm able to spend longer on it I'm extremely impressed. The gameplay is fun, the polish is there and it's probably got more longevity than anything else I've played so far. My only gripe is having to watch my team lifted into their rig before every game, which annoys me, but it's basically a fancy loading screen so I'll give it a pass.

I played a few matches of Pro Evo last night while the wife was watching the TV and it was decent.

We used to have a 1080p projector in the house and it felt similar to that, maybe a little lower quality but with better black levels.

Cool. Good black levels is good to hear too as my most extensive time with VR has been with my Galaxy S7 Edge. It's decent but it was hard to make out anything if a scene was too dark.

Also

I completely forgot about Dreams. Can't wait to play it (on VR too!).

El-Suave

I have to confess I never "got" Rez over all the years it has been out. Checked it out when it released on various platforms but I never got the full appeal or felt particularly immersed. Yesterday I got a pair of headphones for the VR and I thought I'd buy Rez along to try them out. So I played with Move and the headphones and can safely say I'm converted and I now understand and love the game. It took three accessories with VR, headphones and Move, but now I finally "get" Rez.

tr00per

Yeah so in tumble the controller turns red when it starts getting out of the zone (and plays a Nasty noise) and where I was sat, that was knee level. I should have moved the camera down more but was OK with the headset tracking, so just didn't want to jinx anything.

Oh gotcha. I had the same thing and I just moved the camera down. Alternatively you could get a taller chair?

I completely forgot about Dreams. Can't wait to play it (on VR too!).

Have they confirmed that it's playable in VR? I know they've talked about it. Don't play with my heart. That's my gaming dream right now...

Mula

I don't know and nobody seems to have an answer. I check this thread and the Reddit board multiple times a day to see if there's been a catchall, but honestly I don't think there is or will be. These issues existed all the way back to the move and gaf had all different techniques to fix it then as well. I ultimately think the camera is the bottleneck but I don't know enough about the tech to be sure. I've tried the following

- camera above and below TV. Above was worse than below but both still had it. Tried head level on my camera tripod not much difference.

- lights on, pitch black, TV off, lights dim, etc.

- had a picture frame in background took that down, covered any ir or any sort of reflective surfaces

- tried different distances. The pulsing is far less prominent up close, but move controllers are much less usable, they fall out of the play area easier and the calibration goes nuts in until dawn.

- oh yeah also tried power cycling and whatnot. Plus the calibration procedures multiple times under different conditions.

The newest fix going around is to try moving the extension cable, which I'm going to try, but to me that just sounds like the reason that's working is because people are sitting closer to the camera, and again when you're close to the camera the move controllers get all funky. I'm gonna try it before I return it and if in the next few days some magic fix pops up I'll be ecstatic, but I won't be holding my breath.

Way too much money for me right now to build a PC setup of the right caliber and drop 800 on vive.

have you tried this ?

Called Sony for the bad headset jitter / wobble. Turned out the VR extension cable is the problem. Once I removed it and hooked the headset directly the wobble was gone. I know I saw a couple of people here having this problem so it might be the same problem. Sony will send me a new one but that mean I will be without it for few days.

Green Yoshi

I didn't particularly enjoy playing ordinary games on the PSVR. It's serviceable, but I wouldn't agree that it's a tv replacement yet.
This. But for YouTube videos it's OK. I wish there were any VR environments for the cinema mode. So you still have a 2D image, but it's standing on a mountain, you can look at in VR.

majin_pol

Neo Member
You guys sure extension cable is the problem? I've had some problems yesterday with JS, i just moved closer and everything is fixed, by connecting directly to box you're closer... check it.

Mula

You guys sure extension cable is the problem? I've had some problems yesterday with JS, i just moved closer and everything is fixed, by connecting directly to box you're closer... check it.

yes this could be the case. i`ll try it witch the same distance (6 ft) when i`m at home

Mixed. Some games work really well, others not so much. Those with a simple art style work well and are slower paced benefit from the isolation, but games that are highly detailed and fast the lack of clarity they were designed for negatively effects them in a similar way to playing on a 720p tv (I think it looks better than on a 720p tv) or via remote play. It is not unplayable by any means and if you are use to better quality output it only takes a few mins to get use to it regardless but you will probably prefer to play them on the TV. I prefer to play the games on PSVR as an alternative than the Vita or PC/Mac via remote play if I can't get access to the TV.

Waveset

I figured that distance may be a factor so I was going to remove the extension then move the PU and sit in the same position as I currently do. Valid point though and I will do some more mucking around with positioning tonight.

I've been playing too much Job Sim.

This morning I got up to turn my alarm off and was confused why I couldn't just reach out and turn it off from a foot away. I'm so used to seeing a floating hand and just grabbing shit I did that half asleep this morning with my hand in front of the clock and squeezing XD

Video games!

georgc

Does anybody else have a problem where there VR unit will turn off and back on randomly? I really hope my headset isn't broken

broony

Is the USB cable that connects the breakout box with the PS4 the same as the ds4 charging cable? Been getting occasional USB disconnect errors when playing and want to troubleshoot it tonight.

Does anybody else have a problem where there VR unit will turn off and back on randomly? I really hope my headset isn't broken
Exchange it. Should not be happening at all. It's either on or off.

There is a sensor between the lenses at the top of the headset. That is used to check if it is being worn or not, much like phones use this to turn the screen off when putting the phone to your head when on a call.

SomTervo

I can see 3D in movies just fine (but I do hate watching 3D movies), and I have no problem with depth perception. It's not like VR doesn't "work" for me, it's more like I'm not really impressed with it. For something that costs hundreds of dollars, the technology still feels pretty nascent. I just don't really feel "immersed" in the same way that people describe.

I think part of it is just that I'm a pretty emotionally tame person. I see reaction videos on YouTube and think, "do people actually act/feel that way?" I really want to get excited about VR but I'm standing in the middle of this space with stuff happening all around me and my first thought is, "that's it?"

That's s pity. Are you using the move controllers?

Perhaps room scale will help you get properly immersed? Ie walking around and interacting with things in a real space, like with the Vive. It's the next level.

This morning I got up to turn my alarm off and was confused why I couldn't just reach out and turn it off from a foot away. I'm so used to seeing a floating hand and just grabbing shit I did that half asleep this morning with my hand in front of the clock and squeezing XD

Video games!

The worst is when you actually try to teleport around your house. After a long sesh in something like Budget Cuts. You like stand there with your hand outstretched, staring at a patch of the floor, fingers twitching.

georgc

There is a sensor between the lenses at the top of the headset. That is used to check if it is being worn or not, much like phones use this to turn the screen off when putting the phone to your head when on a call.

Back it goes I guess, it already has a dead pixel in the center of the left eye so I just guess im not lucky...

Out of codes again. :) hope the folks that got them enjoy it. Let us know what you think if you do.

Ok the blood level is seriously cool. No issues with motion this time either.

Question.
On the blood level I managed to evade a "cell" that was after me but can I defeat it? Also, with the energy that I find and consume can I get bigger or is it a case of prolonging existence?

Seriously cool game :)

Fliesen

Video games!

indeed, after an hour of job sim, interacting with the real world feels super weird...

Apt101

I've decided to try and find a launch bundle in this area. If I don't like PlayStation VR, I can always regift it to my nephews (who will go bananas) and get a Vive. I have over $200 in credit card rewards built up, I plan on using them to soften the $500 blow.

Will0827

Had my first run in with issues yesterday after it being flawless the prior days, what was weird it occurred after playing Sports Bar VR, things would jitter around and became disorienting, after a reset and several of the calibration options there were less issues but some games would be fine, Thumper was perfect, Rez was perfect but playing job simulator things started to jump around and jitter again and it wasn't the best experience, which a day ago was running perfect. The cinema mode screen also had the corners shifting, hopefully it was just an off day.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
The tracking issue posts are really piling up here. I go back and forth on the issue, but I think I've settled on returning it for now. If they come out with a fix of some sort wether it be a new camera or some sort of silver bullet type deal I'll jump back in.

I basically am experiencing this the same way I experienced move in that I tried all different solutions then just learned to deal with it. Eventually it became too much of a hassle to even bother. In this case it's obviously worse because the side effect is nausea, and the price is a lot higher.

I also think long term this will be an issue. There are a lot of people who seem to be reaching wits end with it. There have been a few in here and a few in Reddit. The more we get away from the initial excitement the more I think it will settle in for those struggling with tracking. It's a bummerbecause it's been an exciting few days. Playroom vr was a revelation and job simulator legitimately blew my mind, but overall the tracking leaves you wanting more.

I'll chime in as someone who wasn't noticing tracking issues the first few days but is starting to notice them more frequently in my last few play sessions.

-London Heist shooting range: Move controllers spaz out periodically. Having a really hard time finding the sweet spot. Seems like if I'm aiming anywhere other than right down the middle it's completely unreliable. Also getting some weird action where it zooms my view in and out almost like it thinks my head instantaneously moved like 2 feet forward then it pops back. Kinda jarring, super annoying. Things seem to get funky when the Move controllers pass in front of the headset but, honestly, I'm not observant enough in the heat of the moment to catch the issue but, if my guess is right, it really throws a wrench in the whole "you can aim down the sights" aspect. Usually it goes weird and I just get pissed that it's messing up.

- Until Dawn: Similar situation with the occasional zoom in/out like I'm teleporting my head forward and backward. Also, sometimes, the character's wrists cock to the side at like a 30 degree angle, despite how I'm holding the move controllers. Arms straight ahead (and they look pretty much straight ahead in the game), controllers straight ahead, but the wrists are bent about as far as would be humanly possible. To the left every time.

Sports Bar : Don't know if it's supposed to be this way because I couldn't get it to change for anything but this is another game that asks you to stand in a spot and face the direction the feet in the game are pointing. My problem is those feet are always pointing almost 45 degrees to the left of the camera. This doesn't give me much leeway when moving my left controller. It's very hard to avoid blocking it with my body.

Thumper: This was tolerable but I played an extended session last night and, about halfway through my first level, I noticed that my foot was resting on the headset's cord, almost perpendicular so, obviously, I wasn't facing forward anymore. Got out of VR mode, centered everything on the main menu and faced forward, went back into VR mode and it was lined up right but, before too long, I noticed the track incrementally drifting to the left (the 'left' seems to be a theme here. It's almost like it's confusing the right side of the headset for the front or something, I dunno) and, when it finally settled down, I popped off the headset and I was seated at pretty much the same angle as I was the first time around. Centering the view by turning to the front and holding start in game did nothing for me. I also got the periodic zoom in and out thing like in the shooting range and, for shits and gigs, I turned around to have my back face the camera directly and, voila, it centered up just fine. Turned back to the front and... nope.

Going in I was expecting the Move controllers to be a bit spotty so I'm alright with that to an extent. But some of the weird drift issues really mess with the experience. It's just such a hassle to jump in and out to troubleshoot.

I'm certainly not returning it because, all things considered, I'm still in love... I'm just starting to see how these issues might eventually turn me off from picking it up and putting it on and they could DEFINITELY deter sales in the future. I'm certainly going to be wary of games that make heavy use of the Move controllers, or games that require standing and liberal use of the play area. At this point, I feel like those games only "kinda" work.

I've had this issue, but currently putting it down to faulty HDMI cable as the one going to the TV which was previously direct to PS4 also would drop out at points. I'll get around to changing it (channeled up through dormant fireplace) at the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom