• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

force it upon them

seriously though, my parents have no interest in games and they couldn't get enough of the Vive

It's okay, still haven't readjusted the camera to fix drift issue and they have high blood pressure so probably not a great idea for them atm.

jsnepo

Is Driveclub VR really that blurry? I feel like I'm nearsighted whenever I play that game. It makes me sick and I don't think it's about motion sickness. The other VR games never gave me problems. I can read the text in the game fine. The inside of the cars are clear. The outside is the problem. The road, the trees, the fences, the mountains, the other cars... they're all blurry.

Sharpfish

Yeah, I've been playing it all evening. I just did a cruise in Japan (first course) and I kept stopping to look around and enjoy the scenery. My favorite part though was being stopped in a tunnel and in a car with a sunroof and looking up and seeing all of the detail on the tunnel ceiling.

VR has actually made me preorder a PS4 pro :/

Yeah, DC VR is a lot better than people made out. Even the aliasing problem isn't 'that bad' and up close the cars look awesome (when you sit in the open top ones and look at the paint for example). PSVR is also the ONLY reason I've pre-ordered a PRO. I want to help VR be the best it can be in this format (comfy HMD, ease of use, plug and play and compelling/deep games). I never felt any of that on my VIVE so I sold it, it was really uncomfortable after a while and the god rays killed lots of immersion even if it was just on menu screens (like in Audioshield) it gave me a horrible feeling like I was stuck behind glass peering in, that made the entire face brick feel just not enjoyable.

PSVR is like nothing is there after you get used to it. If people who've never tried rift/vive think it's better in all ways than PSVR don't make that mistake. PSVR is brilliant at this price point and has much nicer lenses, comfort and software (the software is vital). Had a lot of fun since getting mine last friday (was due for launch day but amazon fkd me over even though I ordered on March 16th!).

Favourite stuff so far has been:

Until Dawn (extremely intense on later parts + some solid gameplay and a decent sense of presence),

Driveclub VR (never felt so much like I am in a real car or own these beautiful machines, that includes the racers I tried on PC VR due to god rays and discomfort), now my mind can believe I'm there more easily thanks to the less intrusive/non face weighted HMD.

Battlezone - this is a deep game with lots of legs, online is pretty awesome as you get a real sense of involvement, feels far beyond what I get from my usual online stuff (BF4 on PC). I love looking up at sky targets, I really feel I'm charge of a death machine.

Playroom VR - beautifully done, if not that deep, anyone who has ignored this as a mere 'demo' of VR or hasn't bothered going far with it, keep going till
you get the little space ship thingy out of the crane machine, this will be placed to your left then get up and go LOOK AT IT (lean over or stand if your tracking allows) what it does here is one of the most beautiful and awesome things I've ever seen in VR - firstly because it's close up the resolution looks every bit as good as VIVE but the animation and fx as it takes off through a little black hole then comes back in another is amazing. It feels like I'm right there in the room with it, like a kid at XMAS. Some of the other toys you get also look like you could bite them ;) they are so realistic, the paintwork, the plastic..

honestly I can see a point in VR in the future where we will be able to replace physical possessions with VR versions. When VR is as simple and realistic as looking around reality, and we have full haptic touch/weight/material response (hey I did say in the future) these things will feel as good as real (to own, to play around with) that includes super cars and other things that are out of reach for most people on earth.

We could do with a good universal home motion platform that can adapt to flying, driving etc and simulations the motion to go with VR, once it's all made effortless we'll be in for good! ;)

I have a ceiling fan in my living room, it's often on when in VR and on Driveclub in an open topped car the wind from it honestly had me forgetting I was just playing a game quite a few times. A wheel, pedals and a motion platform (plus of course eventually super high res HMDs or retina projectors ;) ) and that's it, I'm in like cyberjobe!

To think I sold my VIVE for £1200 the profit alone paid for PSVR and I love PSVR, that was back when VIVE was hot of course as I'd got it pretty much day one pre order, never thought/intended to sell it (Not a scalper) but couldn't justify it for the price it was worth, it really wasn't ready for prime time imo though the roomscale tracking was great, it actually wasn't always particularly more 'fun' as it turned out. Vanishing Realms was the best thing I tried in it that used roomscale, and it had its moments, yes it was awesome but you know PSVR is every bit as awesome, if not more, for me for actual FUN and less worry about the chaperone grid, the resetting myself to centre of room, and wacking my controllers on the wall (this did happen and it stopped working I had to dismantle it, refit a ribbon cable, was very worried!). I think 'roomscale' will be better when we find a solution to actual locomation in place (treadmills don't cut it as you can't feel free/bend/duck properly like in normal roomscale).

Is Driveclub VR really that blurry? I feel like I'm nearsighted whenever I play that game. It makes me sick and I don't think it's about motion sickness. The other VR games never gave me problems. I can read the text in the game fine. The inside of the cars are clear. The outside is the problem. The road, the trees, the fences, the mountains, the other cars... they're all blurry.

Yep, outside of the racing the game is awesome, inside cars/menus are all pretty crisp. The racing itself is pretty blurry making some corners difficult to spot. I'm hoping that the PS4 Pro patch that's been mentioned helps sort out the resolution and AA solution.

LiK

Luge looked like a pixelated mess. The sense of speed is there and it fel tlike I was on a ride for a bit but I wish the visuals were better in the headset. Guess they sacrificed visuals for speed.

Sharpfish

FTR nearly all if not all VR games whether it's PSVR, VIVE or RIFT are all like this right now. even my previous PC VR on a decent system couldn't resolve far away pixels as the res is too low on HMDS right now (Vive/rift is barely an upgrade there either and has many drawbacks like discomfort and god rays).

So that's the first part of the problem. You get used to it though the more you play (in VR in general). Each day it looks better and better to me not worse, though I've been doing VR since rift DK2 days around 2.5? years back.

Secondly the game itself is pushing the PS4 to the limits, so obviously they can't use decent filter, good anti aliasing or super sampling (where it's rendered higher than native then downscale to look shaper on the HMD) on PC most things are super sampled as PCS can handle it. PS4 PRO should be able to look better there, the patch for PRO for DC is said to not take full advantage sadly, as the team really has to move on now they are at codemasters (I used to work at codemasters in juice studio btw - small and pointless fact but while I'm here ;) ) but the patch should make it a bit sexier looking.

even as it is I find its pros outweigh its cons, the cars look stunning when you are in them, and the real sense of being in them or even from chase cam the sense of scale of them is terrific. Lots of fun! I have normal driveclub too and know how sexy it looks but I can't say I'd always prefer THOSE nicer gfx over what the VR version brings me. In fact I'd rather have the VR version because it feels better. I can't imagine being that excited about any non VR racer ever again actually.

PS4 PRO is rumoured to have a custom AMD GPU with a few VR related tricks, but they are keeping quiet about it for now, DRIVE CLUB may well not use those tricks (like multiscene rendering or w/e it's called where you basically get both eyes rendered for the price of once like on NVIDIA PASCAL) this will level the playing field on rendering power quite a lot if true (against normal games).

The HMD itself will always be limited to its resolution of course but good AA and super sampling can make a big difference, and general graphics quality/lighting/models/textures can also be ramped up too. I think Sony are in a great place with VR right now (their only real problem is the tracking at the moment even though mine is pretty good most times with left lens at centre 6 feet away dim room), and I say that as someone who's tried all the PC VR stuff which all still feels like dev kits by comparison (even Rift!) and has a lack of real deep/AAA feeling software. PSVR already has that with rigs, bzone, driveclub etc and the best stuff is yet to come!

I will be picking up a gen 2 HMD for PC though in a couple of years (for development amongst other things) but PSVR will always have a home with me, PSVR2 + PS5 will be beautiful if we all keep supporting PSVR (which is already a great thing). The price for PSVR is nothing compared to 6 years ago for very bad HMDS costing over £1k that nobody here could bear to be in for more than 3 minutes (also zero software).

Wollan

I think it will benefit from some of the hardware optimizations, though we don't have any discrete patches planned since we were able to achieve a native res and a consistent frame rate with the base version :)
What's the render resolution target you're hitting if you don't mind me asking?

Ozorov

I think it will benefit from some of the hardware optimizations, though we don't have any discrete patches planned since we were able to achieve a native res and a consistent frame rate with the base version :)

I see! Looking forward to test vev when I get my PSVR :)

Do you know when we'll get some more news about Pro-patches etc? I guess you developers are under some kind of NDA.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
You will be kicking yourself if you opt not to go for the Pro (releasing in three weeks) considering you are keenly interested in VR and yet a PS4 owner. That $100 premium should ensure significant IQ improvements. Even if some of the launch games don't end up receiving a Pro update it's still a mandate going forward.

Are we totally sure it's mandated for new releases? I read that in the leaked dev presentations previously, but I've had the more recent impression that it may be more optional (?) I'm not up to speed on the latest on that.

But yeah. I'm just gorging on PSVR hype from this thread. I need more Pro hype to balance this and make the wait easier ;) Hopefully more concrete information and media impressions on specific upgrades will be available soon.

Carl

Finally sorted out a cool storage solution

CvIJbhAWYAAQ3Je.jpg

Wollan

But yeah. I'm just gorging on PSVR hype from this thread. I need more Pro hype to balance this and make the wait easier ;) Hopefully more concrete information and media impressions on specific upgrades will be available soon.
Crytek has Robinson: The Journey practically releasing day and date with the PS4 Pro. Expecting it to be a powerhouse demo of their new VR tech and how it scales.

kinggroin

Banned
Yeah, DC VR is a lot better than people made out. Even the aliasing problem isn't 'that bad' and up close the cars look awesome (when you sit in the open top ones and look at the paint for example). PSVR is also the ONLY reason I've pre-ordered a PRO. I want to help VR be the best it can be in this format (comfy HMD, ease of use, plug and play and compelling/deep games). I never felt any of that on my VIVE so I sold it, it was really uncomfortable after a while and the god rays killed lots of immersion even if it was just on menu screens (like in Audioshield) it gave me a horrible feeling like I was stuck behind glass peering in, that made the entire face brick feel just not enjoyable.

PSVR is like nothing is there after you get used to it. If people who've never tried rift/vive think it's better in all ways than PSVR don't make that mistake. PSVR is brilliant at this price point and has much nicer lenses, comfort and software (the software is vital). Had a lot of fun since getting mine last friday (was due for launch day but amazon fkd me over even though I ordered on March 16th!).

Favourite stuff so far has been:

Until Dawn (extremely intense on later parts + some solid gameplay and a decent sense of presence),

Driveclub VR (never felt so much like I am in a real car or own these beautiful machines, that includes the racers I tried on PC VR due to god rays and discomfort), now my mind can believe I'm there more easily thanks to the less intrusive/non face weighted HMD.

Battlezone - this is a deep game with lots of legs, online is pretty awesome as you get a real sense of involvement, feels far beyond what I get from my usual online stuff (BF4 on PC). I love looking up at sky targets, I really feel I'm charge of a death machine.

Playroom VR - beautifully done, if not that deep, anyone who has ignored this as a mere 'demo' of VR or hasn't bothered going far with it, keep going till
you get the little space ship thingy out of the crane machine, this will be placed to your left then get up and go LOOK AT IT (lean over or stand if your tracking allows) what it does here is one of the most beautiful and awesome things I've ever seen in VR - firstly because it's close up the resolution looks every bit as good as VIVE but the animation and fx as it takes off through a little black hole then comes back in another is amazing. It feels like I'm right there in the room with it, like a kid at XMAS. Some of the other toys you get also look like you could bite them ;) they are so realistic, the paintwork, the plastic..

honestly I can see a point in VR in the future where we will be able to replace physical possessions with VR versions. When VR is as simple and realistic as looking around reality, and we have full haptic touch/weight/material response (hey I did say in the future) these things will feel as good as real (to own, to play around with) that includes super cars and other things that are out of reach for most people on earth.

We could do with a good universal home motion platform that can adapt to flying, driving etc and simulations the motion to go with VR, once it's all made effortless we'll be in for good! ;)

I have a ceiling fan in my living room, it's often on when in VR and on Driveclub in an open topped car the wind from it honestly had me forgetting I was just playing a game quite a few times. A wheel, pedals and a motion platform (plus of course eventually super high res HMDs or retina projectors ;) ) and that's it, I'm in like cyberjobe!

To think I sold my VIVE for £1200 the profit alone paid for PSVR and I love PSVR, that was back when VIVE was hot of course as I'd got it pretty much day one pre order, never thought/intended to sell it (Not a scalper) but couldn't justify it for the price it was worth, it really wasn't ready for prime time imo though the roomscale tracking was great, it actually wasn't always particularly more 'fun' as it turned out. Vanishing Realms was the best thing I tried in it that used roomscale, and it had its moments, yes it was awesome but you know PSVR is every bit as awesome, if not more, for me for actual FUN and less worry about the chaperone grid, the resetting myself to centre of room, and wacking my controllers on the wall (this did happen and it stopped working I had to dismantle it, refit a ribbon cable, was very worried!). I think 'roomscale' will be better when we find a solution to actual locomation in place (treadmills don't cut it as you can't feel free/bend/duck properly like in normal roomscale).

PSVR is good for what it is, and the software is wonderful (easily the best launch lineup for a VR headset), but you sold your Vive early, and I can't begin to agree with you that TODAY, the software lineup is better on PSVR.

It isn't. Not even close (though I will admit the saturation of garbage games on Steam that prevent good games from getting exposure).

Also, the shit thrown together tracking system is a pretty big flaw in Sony's setup atm. Sure some games mitigate it just because of the play style, but if it isn't fixed before the honeymoon phase is over, expect these headsets to collect dust not long after, until it is.

As for blurriness; don't be disingenuous friend. This is one area where the PSVR completely falls apart in comparison to its more expensive, jankier cousin.

With the exception of a couple shoddy ports (elite dangerous for instance), most games on Rift and Vive have the luxury of high levels of AA and/or Super Sampling while also running in a much higher native resolution. The clarity difference is substantial, and can only increase as rigs are upgraded moving forward (though a base 970/i5 setup will yield great results in plenty of games).

I mean, the PSVR is dope without downplaying the competition in areas they are known to excel in.

Grinchy

Banned
Finally tried the Eve Valkyrie demo and that was actually pretty damn cool. Muddy and blurry, maybe, but that flying and shooting felt so good.

Also tried the Here They Lie demo and god that game just kinda sucks. It looks so awful and I don't like the comfort turning. None of it even felt scary.

Soi-Fong

Finally tried the Eve Valkyrie demo and that was actually pretty damn cool. Muddy and blurry, maybe, but that flying and shooting felt so good.

Also tried the Here They Lie demo and god that game just kinda sucks. It looks so awful and I don't like the comfort turning. None of it even felt scary.

I'd recommend the game if there was more meat to it. Next to Rigs and how much that game offers, Eve is real bare bones.

Sharpfish

Crytek has Robinson: The Journey practically releasing day and date with the PS4 Pro. Expecting it to be a powerhouse demo of their new VR tech and how it scales.

Yeah, this fact hadn't escaped me either. I think RTJ will be a good showcase of where PRO can push VR better.

Either way, PRO + PSVR is still amazing value for this level of VR in the home with all you need (inc good software). With one or two exceptions, the best looking stuff I've seen in VR so far has been on PSVR thanks to solid art direction and no god rays, resolution is only half the story.

I think playroom actually looks better than the LAB (vive) even though they share a lot of common style, they are certainly not night and day as the price/system running them would imply. Of course tracking is great on VIVE, bow and arrow stuff never felt so cool, but graphically they trade blows already, bring on PS4 PRO and it'll get even closer. RGB pixels and zero god rays are worth a lot to me, even over that slight increase in resolution on VIVE.

Sharpfish

PSVR is good for what it is, and the software is wonderful (easily the best launch lineup for a VR headset), but you sold your Vive early, and I can't begin to agree with you that TODAY, the software lineup is better on PSVR.

It isn't. Not even close (though I will admit the saturation of garbage games on Steam that prevent good games from getting exposure).

Also, the shit thrown together tracking system is a pretty big flaw in Sony's setup atm. Sure some games mitigate it just because of the play style, but if it isn't fixed before the honeymoon phase is over, expect these headsets to collect dust not long after, until it is.

Well that may be but none of that matters cos I hated wearing the damn thing! it was awful, the most ill designed cable system and strap system I've ever used in VR (again even against DK2 which wasn't great).

I'll take the hits for that comfort and ease of use. Also I keep my eye on VIVE games still and there's nothing out there with the sheer polish of the best PSVR AAA stuff (yet). The ones that come close are often PATCHED ON (racers and Elite Dangerous) and have issues and problems that become a pain, constantly working on fixes/solutions while on PSVR you plug, you play.

Yes the tracking CAN be crap, but it's not for me, I've got it so it works 95% of the time flawlessly now. Even my vive had jitter and stuff that I could never fix.

Also I sold it fast (within 5? weeks I think) because I just didn't like how it felt, also it was way too expensive for that level of polish, I felt like a guinea pig, so decided to opt out of that till GEN 2 where I hope they get rid of GOD RAYS (YUCK!) and improve ergonomics.

How anyone can play VR with god rays I don't know, they are #1 on my hit list for bad VR after Vive and esp trying RIft and seeing them. I preferred Black smear on DK2 to god rays (black smear does happen in PSVR too and it doesn't bother me one bit FTR)

I mean, the PSVR is dope without downplaying the competition in areas they are known to excel in.

Sorry but BS. The only areas they excel, actually EXCEL at are in tracking. VIVE is world class there and I never said differently. I am not being disingenuous either, I'm giving real life feedback about how the systems feel to use, and like I said, the ALIASING problem isn't that much different on either because BOTH are still so low res that the actual HMDs themselves are more a problem than the FAR DISTANT aliasing.

Now if you look at kitchen demo, that's not the HMD's fault, thats pixel city, but that's the game, and that's where PS4 PRO steps in, which frankly will have a GPU in that is far beyond the VR capability of MOST PC USERS GPUs (inc mine even though mine wasn't a cheap system). Especially if the rumors are true that it contains similar "VR performance boosts" to the new Pascal GPUS (multi scene rendering etc), that will massively level the playing field against any PC that is NOT running at least PASCAL (so maxwell and Kepler may in some cases have faster clocks but they won't have those 'for free' VR benefits that PRO's GPU and PASCAL have)

Then you get superb NEVER A FRAME DROPPED performance, even on standard PS4 (this is being downlplayed too much but on VIVE people are always dropping frames or skipping, the whole thing feels like work in progress - now on PSVR already on this slow system it's really slick and they put solid FPS above all else in Anti Aliasing and I'm glad they do because then I'm not pulled out by that, or god rays, or my face killing me from the face brick of VIVE etc).

I have every right to call it how I see it, I invested in VIVE just like you and I thought it wasn't worth the £800 let alone the £1200 it was 'worth' back to me at the time, even with its positives, so I sold it and am waiting for version 2 but it MUST remove god rays and must increase comfort, or I won't be. No matter how powerful a system we can push it. I don't even care if it's 4k with foveated rendering and wireless if it's still got god rays and feels like a brick on my face.

kinggroin

Banned
Yeah, this fact hadn't escaped me either. I think RTJ will be a good showcase of where PRO can push VR better.

Either way, PRO + PSVR is still amazing value for this level of VR in the home with all you need (inc good software). With one or two exceptions, the best looking stuff I've seen in VR so far has been on PSVR thanks to solid art direction and no god rays, resolution is only half the story.

I think playroom actually looks better than the LAB (vive) even though they share a lot of common style, they are certainly not night and day as the price/system running them would imply. Of course tracking is great on VIVE, bow and arrow stuff never felt so cool, but graphically they trade blows already, bring on PS4 PRO and it'll get even closer. RGB pixels and zero god rays are worth a lot to me, even over that slight increase in resolution on VIVE.

It's not even close to being slight. Like, at all.

Are we playing the same units? Vive games on a competent PC are drastically more clear than PSVR games thanks to supersampling and native resolutions being higher already.

I disagree about Playroom vs Lab, but that's subjective artstyle stuff.

Definitely agree about the lenses though. Fuck godrays.

Edit: You sold the Vive 5 weeks in :-/

How about you just stick to praising the PSVR and ease off the very limited Vive impressions? Things have come a long way since you owmed it.

Sounds like the comfort factor was such a massive negative for you that it tainted everything else.

SerTapTap

RE: Driveclub, I wouldn't let the graphics talk worry you too much if you haven't played it (it's on the demo disk, right? Play it). The graphics are definitely a show of what happens when assets aren't designed for VR, but once you're racing it matters a lot less. Car interiors look pretty good too and it's all you can see up close with zero motion blur

I *am* surprised the little "standing roadside after the race" doesn't load in some "30 FPS Driveclub" quality textures for the immediate area though (but maybe even that was too much or not a priority). When you're just lounging around after the race the drop in road texture quality is kinda stunning.

Also random tips for anyone trying to record PSVR:

To capture games that show different stuff on Social Screen (like Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes or Catlateral Damage) you can use the PS4's internal recording feature to record one of your "eyes" in VR instead.

To capture games with a capture card, run a 3.5' plug from the PSVR's headphone jack into your PC as a mic/line in, "listen" to that port on PC, then run headphones back out and wear them for PSVR. A bit of extra work but quality recording always is.

Will PSVR games require a patch to get any benefits from the Pro?

Worst case is just a bit of extra waiting while it downloads. Thumper devs have confirmed PSVR + Pro compat, but I don't think they said whether it'd be a patch or not. I'm sure it's going to vary by game and at least some (possibly some that didn't initially plan PS4 pro) will require a patch

I haven't really felt the "need" for PS4 pro though, which I'm super happy for. Most games designed for VR have no major issues (only issue I would say is the resolution which I doubt even mega good AA will perfectly solve?). Framerates are great, the two games I think could have used it were Resident Evil Kitchen demo and Driveclub VR. Both super realistic games not really meant for VR initially.

Sharpfish

It's not even close to being slight. Like, at all.

Are we playing the same units? Vive games on a competent PC are drastically more clear than PSVR games thanks to supersampling and native resolutions being higher already.

I disagree about Playroom vs Lab, but that's subjective artstyle stuff.

Definitely agree about the lenses though. Fuck godrays.

Edit: You sold the Vive 5 weeks in :-/

How about you just stick to praising the PSVR and ease off the very limited Vive impressions? Things have come a long way since you owmed it.

Sounds like the comfort factor was such a massive negative for you that it tainted everything else.

How about you stick to the VIVE thread if you don't like hearing negative criticism against it? I take it you didn't invent the VIVE? no? Good now stfu

lat time I respond to you. I sold *MY* vive 5 weeks in but I have used vive and rift a lot since then, and my impressions hold (I know many people who have all kinds of VR systems as I am an indie dev and know people in the industry). I am still aware of how much better it has become but nothing changes the ergonomics, the god rays and the lack of REAL genuine polished deep AAA software such as the titles we ALREADY have on PSVR and with things like RE7 in January.

PC are drastically more clear than PSVR games thanks to supersampling and native resolutions being higher already.

Of course, this is running on a £250 system and costs HALF THE PRICE! That is why I'm talking about PS4 PRO with Custom GPU with VR 'tricks'. I didn't say right now it's on par I said subjectively it 'feels' about as good in practice because of the positives offsetting the issues with distance rendering. The SDE also is better on PSVR and this comes into play on up close objects esp 'toy models' in playroom vs the lab for example.

Please, get back to your VIVE thread if I'm upsetting you too much. SMH

Just wanted to say that the Playroom VR platformer is simply INCREDIBLE !!! This is the Mario 64 moment for me, if not more impressive. This is the kind of stuff you expect Nintendo to do... It's simply too good and sadly i want more of that because that wasn't enough, i had a smile and was blown away the whole time. I want a full platformer like this not just a demo. Sony ya heard ??

Man, i said it before and will say it again, Sony Japan Studio are very underrated, they are actually a very good studio that produces unique, fun and high class games.

Soi-Fong

Just wanted to say that the Playroom VR platformer is simply INCREDIBLE !!! This is the Mario 64 moment for me, if not more impressive. This is the kind of stuff you expect Nintendo to do... It's simply too good and sadly i want more of that because that wasn't enough, i had a smile and was blown away the whole time. I want a full platformer like this not just a demo. Sony ya heard ??

Man, i said it before and will say it again, Sony Japan Studio are very underrated, they are actually a very good studio that produces unique, fun and high class games.

I wouldn't be surprised if Japan Studio is already hard at work on a platformer title. Sony can't be blind to the amazing reception Playroom has gotten.

Okada

Yeah, it's got me praying for the Crash Bandicoot reboots to include a VR mode.

Foook that would be amazing!!!

Yeah looking around in the world is pretty incredible. My wife and I played it for the first time together yesterday and she was smiling the whole time.

A high quality crash VR games needs to be done, ASAP.

I really feel like the platforming genre and on-rail experiences like Thumper/Until Dawn are some of the stronger VR experiences.

Fliesen

Finally sorted out a cool storage solution

you're using your Gold headphones wirelessly or wired?

"3D audio" doesn't work when using them wirelessly, right? What's "3D" audio, specifically? If i use them wirelessly, does the Audio not align to my head movement?

my impressions hold (I know many people who have all kinds of VR systems as I am an indie dev and know people in the industry).
I would really love to know what game(s) you're working on so I ensure you don't get a single red cent from me. Your attitude, demeanor, and debate skills could use a whole lot of refinement.

Good now stfu

Please, get back to your VIVE thread if I'm upsetting you too much. SMH

So we can never have enough reviews right? Anyway after a good weekend with the device and it now being somewhat incorporated into my overall setup, I think I can give a solid first impression. Will start with the overall grade and then list pros and cons.

Overall B+

Pros

- Comfort, PSVR feels fine after continuous play for me, I especially love that you can just slide the visor away from your face if you need to interact with the outside world. Also playing without headphones lets you put one foot in VR and keep one foot out so to speak, so you are not completely oblivious to your surroundings.

- Cost, buying a PS4 almost 3 years ago now this just wasn't that big of an investment for me. Already had move controllers from last gen and a camera from the beginning of this one. Some Amazon credit even shaved off almost $100. For PS4 owners it's a nice not-too-expensive add on to your regular gaming experience

- Experience, VR IMO is here to stay. It is not a replacement for traditional gaming but another genre. Some days i came home eager to play VR, somedays I just couldn't put that much energy into it. It's different, completely different than what we are used to playing, and it truly feels like one of those special Mario 64 moments, particularly in games like Playroom where you truly feel inside a platforming playground or thumper where you are racing, turning, jumping towards a constantly shifting roadway to hypnotic beats. It's just nothing like it! I can only imagine a more complex platformer with puzzles and ingenuity of the quality of Mario, it should be a special moment in gaming. The variety of experiences is incredible, PSVR truly doesn't need a killer app, the headset itself is, and getting basic concepts like "Tetris" or "Pong" is good enough to satisfy early adopters and especially non gamers.

Cons

- Resolution, by far the biggest weakness of VR right now is that it doesn't replicate the clarity of what we are used to seeing on our high resolution TV. We are almost jumping back into PS2/PS3 level graphics once you are inside the head set. You do adjust, but it takes some time too, but the blurriness is always persistently there, and it's annoying. How much Pro will help this issue is something I'm eagerly awaiting.

- Adjusting, PSVR is fairly easy to setup and I don't particularly have wires or anything all over the place just one long cord connecting the headset. But adjusting every time for every game is somewhat tedious. You have to find the "sweet spot" and if you jump (which happens in scary games) or move around too quickly you have to adjust again, recalibrate, etc...it's overall not as seamless as one would like, and this is only something that will improve with time.

Worth the price of admission in my honest opinion, especially if you are the "gamer guy/gal" in your circle of friends. Getting people to come over and try VR should be a great time this holiday season when more people get off from work and take vacation. Get your loved ones involved in gaming again people! Wii2.0 is here, even if it won't sell like it.

farisr

Oh no... what have you done! The remakes happening at all was good enough, but now if it doesn't come with a VR mode, it'll end up disappointing me a little.

spwolf

well, i think it is a hit with kids... my 8yr and 10yr olds are bringing their friends to try it out, they seem to like Playroom VR with robots the best... everyone loves it, it is pretty viral.

Oh no... what have you done! The remakes happening at all was good enough, but now if it doesn't come with a VR mode, it'll end up disappointing me a little.
nah the remakes are the remakes.

Crash needs to be rebuilt from the ground up. Those puzzles were designed with the players perspective to be looking forward almost like an endless runner. The devs have to design crash to move around, look around, and jump around in a complete 3D environment with the user perspective of being inside the world.

Remakes don't need a VR mode, we need Crash Bandicoot VR

Anybody with two pairs of headphones able to test the DS4 headphone port?

I'm curious if you can still get sound out of the headphone jack on the DS4 while using PSVR, because I want to use a Subpac with this.

muteki

I want this for sports. Let me watch a basketball game from courtside or a hockey game from the bench. It would be cool to be able to look to your side and see your favourite athletes doing their thing.

Vue really needs a VR channel.

nah the remakes are the remakes.

Crash needs to be rebuilt from the ground up. Those puzzles were designed with the players perspective to be looking forward almost like an endless runner. The devs have to design crash to move around, look around, and jump around in a complete 3D environment with the user perspective of being inside the world.

Remakes don't need a VR mode, we need Crash Bandicoot VR

While I agree with the bolded, after Playroom I would totally be fine with just a Crash remake with the headset following behind as the camera. They would just need to make the backsides of buildings visible.

Kyolux

So I keep getting my ass ended in Until Dawn's 3rd level boss fight.

Last time I tried it, kept getting one-hit killed by the wave of birds popping up in the middle of the screen.

Anyone has tips for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom