• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simo

Just popping to to say that I received my unit yesterday, quick and easy hook up and away I went! I invited a friend over too to try it so both were trying out the demos for the first time.

Sony VR worlds...wow. The underwater tour blew my mind so much I just purchased the whole thing on the spot. lol RE7 was suitably chilling and even though I had my friend try it first and when it was my turn I would know what was going to happen, it still scared the shit out of me. lol

We had quick tries on Rez, Thumper and Driveclub VR. The former 2 were impressive and Driveclub was too much of a mind fuck that my friend got motion sickness. Still though overall we were both super impressed and I love how easy it is to basically be able to play and then let your friend have a go too because of how quick it is to adjust.

The only VR game i really have is Batman Arkham which is fantastic. Do you guys have any other recommendations for full titles that are must buy on day one?

So my bud that tried it at my house and bought the spare Bundle off me is now having more peeps at his house this weekend to show more of his friends.

Time to suit this fucker up and bring it by for a party!

Word of mouth on this thing is doing more than any PR campaign ever could, at this point.

Soi-Fong

Just popping to to say that I received my unit yesterday, quick and easy hook up and away I went! I invited a friend over too to try it so both were trying out the demos for the first time.

Sony VR worlds...wow. The underwater tour blew my mind so much I just purchased the whole thing on the spot. lol RE7 was suitably chilling and even though I had my friend try it first and when it was my turn I would know what was going to happen, it still scared the shit out of me. lol

We had quick tries on Rez, Thumper and Driveclub VR. The former 2 were impressive and Driveclub was too much of a mind fuck that my friend got motion sickness. Still though overall we were both super impressed and I love how easy it is to basically be able to play and then let your friend have a go too because of how quick it is to adjust.

The only VR game i really have is Batman Arkham which is fantastic. Do you guys have any other recommendations for full titles that are must buy on day one?

I'll keep on recommending Rigs since it's a full experience and is just fun as hell! Also, one of the games that has the best graphics right now on the platform.

So I keep getting my ass ended in Until Dawn's 3rd level boss fight.

Last time I tried it, kept getting one-hit killed by the wave of birds popping up in the middle of the screen.

Anyone has tips for this?
You need to focus on the heart of the hotel, not the girl. Ignore what birds you can safely and when those doors open - PEW PEW PEW. The hint is that nothing happens until you shoot the heart to start the fight.

I feel so fatigued by gaming these days, have no urge to play anything, do not even seem to be enjoying myself anymore..either I take a break or dive into a VR purchase, the comments on this thread have given me hope that this is what I might need to feel rejuvenated & excited about gaming again..

I'll keep on recommending Rigs since it's a full experience and is just fun as hell! Also, one of the games that has the best graphics right now on the platform.
im waiting for pro to get rigs since I'm confident Sony pubslished titles won't skimp on Pro enhancements. This is really good to hear.

Also in the rank VR thread. Thumper, SuperHyperCube, Playroom, Until Dawn, & Rez got the most recommendations.

androvsky

fk2lC19.jpg

i hope this is a positive "hmmm"

Hope so too, it looks like the breakout box has some crazy video decoding hardware, more so than the PS4 itself so it's theoretically possible to have pretty decent quality.

If it's just a 360 video, or a 3D 360 video in the quality that's currently in the streaming apps I probably wouldn't bother.

I feel so fatigued by gaming these days, have no urge to play anything, do not even seem to be enjoying myself anymore..either I take a break or dive into a VR purchase, the comments on this thread have given me hope that this is what I might need to feel rejuvenated & excited about gaming again..
You might just be in a slump and it's best to just partake in another hobby IMO. Read a good book, find a good show on Netflix or Hulu to binge. VR is great, but it's still basic gaming. You are just completely immersed in the game now so it feels super fresh.

Simo

Excellent! I'll give it a shot then, thanks!

Words don't do it justice really and stuff like the underwater tour are just mind fucks. lol Like you're in a underwater cage/elevator and if standing you can literally walk around the cage, peer over the bars to look below. I kept wanted to hold on to the rail except, well there was no rail. lol Same thing with Batman VR, I just spent a stupid amount of time at the menu looking around Gotham from the GCPD roof tops and walking over to the rail to look down at the streets and moving traffic. lol

Kyolux

You need to focus on the heart of the hotel, not the girl. Ignore what birds you can safely and when those doors open - PEW PEW PEW. The hint is that nothing happens until you shoot the heart to start the fight.

Yeah, been mostly focusing on that.

But some of the birds and dolls I can't ignore, right? Because the wave of bird that comes right down the middle kept killing me as soon as the first one touched me for some reason when I last tried.

Why though? I can see if it's something entertaining like film, but press conferences?

I think it makes more sense for something like a press conference. A film you want to see in the best possible quality. With a conference you will miss out on trailer quality but get the experience of being there.

With 360 degree audio and an on-stage viewpoint of the speakers and demos, it would be pretty awesome. It would be like sitting with the crowd.

It's pretty much the next obvious step after bringing conferences to the cinema, it's a no-brainer, considering that Sony is the one selling PSVRs ;)

Not that I'm really expecting it to happen already this year and I don't have the bandwidth to watch such a stream anyway ;(

Edit: put Kaz next to the 360 VR camera so that I can watch him during the whole show and whisper "COLONY WARS" into his ear!!1

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Why can't you stop your ship in EVE? The drift (when I want to be still) makes me nauseous (the ONLY vr game to punch my gut - and I played most at this point) and why aren't there more control options? Isn't this a PC game, and the only damn option is: Invert Flight Y/N.

Wtf?

And where are the yaw controls?

Idk I think I hate this game. Massive buyer's remorse. (Something rare for me)

rubes7844

Banned
I'm extremely torn on buying this right now. In your honest opinion, are there just tech demos at the moment or really good gaming experiences?

I also have a few questions:

Can I use my turtle beach elite 800s while using the headset?

What's one game that is a must buy at the moment?

Are the move controllers really needed?

Thanks!

But some of the birds and dolls I can't ignore, right? Because the wave of bird that comes right down the middle kept killing me as soon as the first one touched me for some reason when I last tried.

I was doing this last night and found that when the birds fly out shoot straight down the middle with both guns and you can clear a path. The rest of the birds fly past you

spwolf

Why can't you stop your ship in EVE? The drift (when I want to be still) makes me nauseous (the ONLY vr game to punch my gut - and I played most at this point) and why aren't there more control options? Isn't this a PC game, and the only damn option is: Invert Flight Y/N.

Wtf?

And where are the yaw controls?

Idk I think I hate this game. Massive buyer's remorse. (Something rare for me)

play some other games and get used to VR more then come back to it... i had no problems with Eve, and I thought that I might have problems with VR in general since I get slightly dizzy even at 3D movies.

I'm extremely torn on buying this right now. In your honest opinion, are there just tech demos at the moment or really good gaming experiences?

Thanks!

1. Dunno
2. Battlezone/ Rigs/Thumper
3. Not for the games mentioned above but it does add to games such as Until Dawn

Fliesen

Thanks!
i bought the starter bundle. And the most fun i had and the most magical experience were those games that had 1-to-1 hand interaction via the move controllers.

The DS4 allows for SOME tracking, but the light bar is only on the controller's front. the move controllers allow for spinning tilting twisting turning of your hand.

Job Simulator is so good, and i'm seriously hoping for stuff like Fantastic contraption to be released soon.

What weapon(s) do you have when you get to the boss? I had a shotgun and the semi-auto handgun. The shotgun does wonders for dropping a lot of those birds at once.

Septimus

Hearing about PSVR a lot now in conversations/at work/etc. Word of mouth is great. And lol at some people thinking it would sell just 50k. It sold that much in Japan alone so far.

Thanks!

For me the must buy game is rush of blood and it's only 20$. I highly recommend Rigs also, I hated the demo and almost regretted my purchase but once I messed with some options and got the hang of the controls it feels like the most complete game that I own. And batman is worth the 20$ price tag also, short but amazing experience.

Rush of blood
Rigs
Batman
Headmaster

It's the only 4 games I own and I recommend all of them.

PBY

Banned
Hearing about PSVR a lot now in conversations/at work/etc. Word of mouth is great. And lol at some people thinking it would sell just 50k. It sold that much in Japan alone so far.

I would say totally the opposite for me re WoM. Its just hard to tell.

KORNdoggy

With 360 degree audio and an on-stage viewpoint of the speakers and demos, it would be pretty awesome. It would be like sitting with the crowd.

this. watching the conferences are already pretty exciting. the hear the crowd going wild, or just being able to look up and see the guy talking on stage would be great. it's less about the quality of the image. obviously a gamersyde download is going to be better. but i just like the idea of the immersion of it. which is the whole point of VR anyway. being somewhere without being there.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

Thanks!
Tech demo is the wrong way to think of it. They really are "experiences" as corny as that sounds. There's something more to them. What are they worth? Idk.

Most content so far falls into that category. But there is meatiness found in a few titles. Driveclub is that for me.

You might just be in a slump and it's best to just partake in another hobby IMO. Read a good book, find a good show on Netflix or Hulu to binge. VR is great, but it's still basic gaming. You are just completely immersed in the game now so it feels super fresh.
I think you are right, only problem is I find it hard to stay away when it is right in my room, I think selling off the PS4 & 1070 would force myself to take that much needed break, almost like a slave to the machine lol

Words don't do it justice really and stuff like the underwater tour are just mind fucks. lol Like you're in a underwater cage/elevator and if standing you can literally walk around the cage, peer over the bars to look below. I kept wanted to hold on to the rail except, well there was no rail. lol Same thing with Batman VR, I just spent a stupid amount of time at the menu looking around Gotham from the GCPD roof tops and walking over to the rail to look down at the streets and moving traffic. lol
Sounds amazing, I have never tried any form of VR so have no idea what to expect. Will jump straight in to VR when I feel refreshed.

Thanks for the input guys, appreciate it.

nemisis0

well, i think it is a hit with kids... my 8yr and 10yr olds are bringing their friends to try it out, they seem to like Playroom VR with robots the best... everyone loves it, it is pretty viral.

Sony advice to not let anyone under the age of 12 to play with it, hopefully nothing serious happens to them.

Right. Tis why I said safely if you can ;)

emb

Mine came in last night, and I was really impressed. Happy to say I don't think I'll get motion sickness from any of it. I did feel really fatigued after playing about 3 hours though. Something about the way my eyes were focused, or maybe the effort my face spent trying to not push my glasses into the VR's lenses too hard. My normal play sessions will probably be a little shorter.

It feels great just to play games in the visor. No distractions, large screen, I really like it. Plus it almost forces me to have decent posture. I might try out some other systems with it tonight, see if the gimmick appeal of theater mode lasts.

Grabbed the bundle, so Worlds and the demo disc were both there for me to play. Some really cool stuff to play with. I think my favorite may have been just interacting with the toy ball in the VR Worlds menu though, lol. There were some others I really liked too though. Ocean, Luge, Danger ball, Rez, Thumper, Wayward Sky, and the Harmonix demo had me enjoying myself.

My only other minor gripe is that I didn't really have the space for it. Pushed my couch back as far as I can, and that worked for seated stuff. But anything that requires standing, probably no room for it. Job Simulator was the only one I really ran into it with. The very first thing, the coffee, had me trying to reach right through the couch. I might try just moving the couch and putting an office chair in that spot for VR. It's fine for now, but seems like it will get annoying to store the headset and controllers for VR when not using them everyday, and to setup any time I do.

It's worth it though. I look forward to seeing where this stuff goes. PSVR definitely feels a little first-gen-ish, but it's excellent and gets me excited for the future. And I still have a bunch of demos and VR Worlds stuff to try out too.

Slixshot

Banned
I think you are right, only problem is I find it hard to stay away when it is right in my room, I think selling off the PS4 & 1070 would force myself to take that much needed break, almost like a slave to the machine lol

Sounds amazing, I have never tried any form of VR so have no idea what to expect. Will jump straight in to VR when I feel refreshed.

Thanks for the input guys, appreciate it.

Join us in our new world.

giphy.gif

Oh and I'll reiterate what I said last night:

PLAY RIGS! It's practically all I can think about after having experienced it last night.

I have to say the launch lineup has been really impressive. I think it's going to go a long way in encouraging word-of-mouth attention and bolstering sales this holiday.

Catlateral Damage is a so-so game but it was the first game where my friends are banging my move controllers against walls, people and stuff around, game really needs a lot of space around.

Im glad those balls in the Move controllers are rubber.

Pejo

3/4 of the way through Until Dawn and it's still wowing me.

Just got to the hyper zombie lady running around...omgggggg

I finally dug into this a bit last night, too. The first level legit got me with some jump scares. My GF was laughing her ass off. I stopped playing in front of her, so she doesn't know where all the scares are when she plays.

I can't get over how amazingly it makes the roller coaster parts feel. Definitely my #1 VR game so far.

Kyolux

I was doing this last night and found that when the birds fly out shoot straight down the middle with both guns and you can clear a path. The rest of the birds fly past you

Yeah, this I figured. It's really just that one bit that kinds of fucks me up. Because even if I shoot, it seems like they go through and I die in an instant from full health.

The first time I was trying that level though, I was getting further than this everytime, it's really weird.

What weapon(s) do you have when you get to the boss? I had a shotgun and the semi-auto handgun. The shotgun does wonders for dropping a lot of those birds at once.

Tried a good variety of guns.

Taker666

I'm wondering if the PSVR should be technically capable of playing a 360 degree 4k video (even on a normal PS4).

A 360 degree 1080p video is going to look far worse than a standard 1080p video... as it's stretched to 360 degrees all around you.

You wouldn't even need the PS4 hardware to be capable of outputting in 4k to a screen..you'd just need the hardware to be capable of running a 4k video internally...and then have the ability to look around the stretched 360 4k video through your 1080p headset a piece at a time (still, I suppose even if would technically be possible..they'd probably save that ability for the PS4 pro).

Still did not unwrap RIGS, demo made me feel sick...want to love this though.

Does the game feel any 'better' regarding motion sickness when you play it more. Tried the demo 7 times and my stomach can't seem to adjust. I was thinking...maybe if I buy the full game and do a decent walkthrough on the controls and options, it will be better...

Can someone link me a good source of 360 VR video content?

I downloaded a few things but they were not supported by the media player, even though the file types were supported.

I guess there are different formats of capturing VR video that works on Oculus and Vive but not on PSVR?

Spades

Seriously Sony. As if repackaging and re-selling a 6-year old accessory and charging extortionate rates for them wasn't BS enough, how the fuck are there no Move controllers in stock anywhere? Complete joke.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
VR videos are useless on PSVR until they add 3D support. I can't believe it's not patched in yet, the 360-videos in just 2D mode look bad and give a wrong impression of how great actual 3D VR video playback is.
VRideo VR app has actual 3D 360 degree videos. I agree that 2D 360 videos are pretty much pointless.

I'm wondering if the PSVR should be technically capable of playing a 360 degree 4k video (even on a normal PS4).

A 360 degree 1080p video is going to look far worse than a standard 1080p video... as it's stretched to 360 degrees all around you.

You wouldn't even need the PS4 hardware to be capable of outputting in 4k to a screen..you'd just need the hardware to be capable of running a 4k video internally...and then have the ability to look around the stretched 360 4k video through your 1080p headset a piece at a time (still, I suppose even if would technically be possible..they'd probably save that ability for the PS4 pro).
I think videos on VRideo are 4K. They play fine, and it really looks impressive.

androvsky

According to the ifixit teardown, the breakout box has a quad-core ARM that has 4K 10-bit 60fps HEVC decoding hardware built in. It's not a custom part, so it's possible it's something that can't really be used while the rest of the processor is handling VR stuff, but I think the chances are decent it's usable. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony was planning a high-end VR streaming service of some sort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom