• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still did not unwrap RIGS, demo made me feel sick...want to love this though.

Does the game feel any 'better' regarding motion sickness when you play it more. Tried the demo 7 times and my stomach can't seem to adjust. I was thinking...maybe if I buy the full game and do a decent walkthrough on the controls and options, it will be better...

Personally, I am feeling less and less nauseous, each time I play RIGS. Going to dial back the comfort settings, soon.

Seriously Sony. As if repackaging and re-selling a 6-year old accessory and charging extortionate rates for them wasn't BS enough, how the fuck are there no Move controllers in stock anywhere? Complete joke.

My first post here and I have the same problem. I can't find a Move controller...
I have one already but for games like job simulation isn't enough. It was difficult for me to find the PS camera and is also difficult or impossible to find a single move controller!
come on Sony...

Shikoba

Does the game feel any 'better' regarding motion sickness when you play it more. Tried the demo 7 times and my stomach can't seem to adjust. I was thinking...maybe if I buy the full game and do a decent walkthrough on the controls and options, it will be better...

I don't know if this helps, but from my experience:

I hated the demo. It controlled awful and the head turning felt WAY too sensitive. But I had already bought the game at launch. Still, I went into the full game more hopeful and it controls WAY better. Probably just better calibration in the beginning. Or something.

I've also learned today that the Job Simulator demo is a PC port, and that the full game is actually better adjusted to support PSVR (being 180 degree focused instead of 360). So I'm starting to wonder about the demos vs the actual games a bit. Not that I'm complaining about having many robust demos to try, but so far my experience with the full products has been much more positive.

EDIT: I should add that I don't get motion sickness. Haven't had it once during PSVR or irl. So in terms of that I do not know how you will feel playing the full copy of rigs.

border

Seriously Sony. As if repackaging and re-selling a 6-year old accessory and charging extortionate rates for them wasn't BS enough, how the fuck are there no Move controllers in stock anywhere? Complete joke.

Gamestop has pre-owned ones for $25 each, or a 2-pack of new controllers for $100.

Slixshot

Banned

Ok ok, here's what I need to emphasize not just to you but to EVERYONE considering RIGS but worried about motion sickness. The tutorial in this game is fantastic. It gives you a rundown on everything and how the game controls, but what it doesn't not tell you enough about is how customizable the controls really are.

You have two VR newbie toggles (goggle effect and minimal eject) which I would recommend you keep on until you're ready to turn them off. That stuff is obvious, BUT here's what I think helps the most: turn speed and deadzone and turn angle.

Out of the gate you can choose to turn with the right stick or with your head while always aiming your weapons with your eyes. You're given the option to try both in the tutorial. But AFTER you try both, you're going to be taken outside. When you are outside, mess around with the Turn Speed and Deadzone and find where you are most comfortable. I found that no deadzone works best for me, I like my turn angle to be two notches higher than default and my turn speed to be one notch higher than default.

Definitely take your time setting yourself up, but it's SO worth the time to do so because now I'm playing this game and feeling like I'm in complete control and haven't felt any nausia since.

Soi-Fong

Ok ok, here's what I need to emphasize not just to you but to EVERYONE considering RIGS but worried about motion sickness. The tutorial in this game is fantastic. It gives you a rundown on everything and how the game controls, but what it doesn't not tell you enough about is how customizable the controls really are.

You have two VR newbie toggles (goggle effect and minimal eject) which I would recommend you keep on until you're ready to turn them off. That stuff is obvious, BUT here's what I think helps the most: turn speed and deadzone and turn angle.

Out of the gate you can choose to turn with the right stick or with your head while always aiming your weapons with your eyes. You're given the option to try both in the tutorial. But AFTER you try both, you're going to be taken outside. When you are outside, mess around with the Turn Speed and Deadzone and find where you are most comfortable. I found that no deadzone works best for me, I like my turn angle to be two notches higher than default and my turn speed to be one notch higher than default.

Definitely take your time setting yourself up, but it's SO worth the time to do so because now I'm playing this game and feeling like I'm in complete control and haven't felt any nausia since.

Yup, for my case it's different. No deadzone is best for me on the stick. And I use the highest turn speed possible.

bumpkin

How do you guys feel about Scavengers Odyssey and Danger Ball?

Don't see them mentioned too often here.
I like both. Scavenger's Odyssey seriously makes me wish Nintendo were in the VR game and did a Metroid. My only complaint is it's the first game on PSVR that made me a bit queasy, but only when I got to a part with a lot of upside-down action.

And Danger Ball, though simple, surprised the shit out of me with its nuance. I instinctively moved the panel as I struck the ball like you would in Arkanoid to get directional momentum and to my surprise it gave the ball a wicked curve/spin. I only meant to play one round to try it and ended up doing half a dozen.

BadHand

Sony advice to not let anyone under the age of 12 to play with it, hopefully nothing serious happens to them.

I don't really see how VR is any different to letting a child watch TV through a pair of glasses. I assumed this was just some standard legal statement, due to a lack of specific age related research.

Returned mine this week. Had fun with it over the weekend but it's not a must-have for me yet. Most of the games are great 10 to 15 minute experiences and anything long-term starts to be waning, partly due to the low resolution.

My favorite was definitely the Kitchen demo, it just sells the concept so well. But things start to get tricky when there are titles with forward motion and more headset movement. It can be dizzying, nauseating, and generally uneasy for a sector of people, which is something that will hamper its appeal and value.

It's a great start for VR though, but I think the second gen headset will be a much better experience.

iratA

Personally, I am feeling less and less nauseous, each time I play RIGS. Going to dial back the comfort settings, soon.

Yep I can agree with this. On my third big session I turned head tracking up just a little and turned the comfort mask off. When I first played it, I wasn't sure if I'd get over the little bit of illness I was feeling, but I have mostly now. I believe in the 'growing VR legs' thing people have been talking about now.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

Scavengers Odyssey leaves me feeling a bit nauseas after a while due to it's artificial locomotion.

For me it would have been a lot more comfortable with instant teleporting.

Soi-Fong

It's the wrong thread, but what is that based on?

This was during July about 3 months after the Vive released. About 100k sold.

http://www.roadtovr.com/htc-vive-sales-figures-data-100000-steamspy-data/

Then this article was from September.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/281563/Raw_Data_becomes_first_VR_title_to_hit_1M_in_a_month.php

Based off this quote:

Vive-exclusive sci-fi shooter Raw Data has become the first virtual reality game to hit $1 million in sales in the space of a month.

Developer Survios made the claim in an interview with Fast Company, and said at least 20 percent of HTC Vive owners have purchased the action title.

You can do the math with how much the game costs and the percentage they revealed that it was about 150k sold when that article hit.

I don't know if this helps, but from my experience:

I hated the demo. It controlled awful and the head turning felt WAY too sensitive. But I had already bought the game at launch. Still, I went into the full game more hopeful and it controls WAY better. Probably just better calibration in the beginning. Or something.

I've also learned today that the Job Simulator demo is a PC port, and that the full game is actually better adjusted to support PSVR (being 180 degree focused instead of 360). So I'm starting to wonder about the demos vs the actual games a bit. Not that I'm complaining about having many robust demos to try, but so far my experience with the full products has been much more positive.

EDIT: I should add that I don't get motion sickness. Haven't had it once during PSVR or irl. So in terms of that I do not know how you will feel playing the full copy of rigs.

Thanks so much guys! Good to know that the tutorial is ace.
Slixshot, do you happen to know if you can configure the controls ( turnspeed, deadzone etc. ) in the demo ? Thanks in advance.

Scavengers Odyssey leaves me feeling a bit nauseas after a while due to it's artificial locomotion.

For me it would have been a lot more comfortable with instant teleporting.

I've never felt sick in VR, and I love that sensation of movement, so I think having options would be ideal. I appreciate that some games have similar options, like Rez and Rigs.

What other PSVR games have "sensitivity" options like that?

Slixshot

Banned
Thanks so much guys! Good to know that the tutorial is ace.
Slixshot, do you happen to know if you can configure the controls ( turnspeed, deadzone etc. ) in the demo ? Thanks in advance.

I only played it once before knowing I wanted the whole thing, but if memory serves me right, you cannot in the demo.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I've never felt sick in VR, and I love that sensation of movement, so I think having options would be ideal. I appreciate that some games have similar options, like Rez and Rigs.

What other PSVR games have "sensitivity" options like that?

I'm okay with moving forward but strafing has me instantly feeling uncomfortable.

gunstarhero

Join us in our new world.

giphy.gif

Oh and I'll reiterate what I said last night:

PLAY RIGS! It's practically all I can think about after having experienced it last night.

I have to echo this - the game is so fucking good. More people should be talking (and playing!) about this game instead.

panda-zebra

Played Scavengers Odyssey last night, first 3 levels. Pretty impressed with the sense of scale, traversal (pretty thrilling) and generally being in the mech and doing stuff (more so than the rigs demo that felt a bit meh tbh, despite looking amazing). The voice constantly wittering on got a bit too much. Kept thinking my feet were spiders and freaking out lol.

Not sure how much more there is but I'd hope it would be more varied - just not expecting it to be. Doubt I'd re-play it for the challenges.

Wollan

You can do the math with how much the game costs and the percentage they revealed that it was about 150k sold when that article hit.
Then you have the Steam survey (not polls but automatic system scans) indicating that the ratio of Vive to Oculus Rift CV1 is 2:1. I would think Steam usage/overlap amongst Rift owners is in the great, great majority and that this would be a good percentage indication.

Anyone else has slight glare on the left corner of the left eye and right corner of the right eye? I have the headset completely smashed against my face. I'm assuming I have the thing to close.

kinggroin

Banned
Called Sony for the bad headset jitter / wobble. Turned out the VR extension cable is the problem. Once I removed it and hooked the headset directly the wobble was gone. I know I saw a couple of people here having this problem so it might be the same problem. Sony will send me a new one but that mean I will be without it for few days.

Anyone else try this?

Please report back because this is THE major issue I need fixed on my unit that's making it harder and harder to jump back in.

Soi-Fong

If that's your goal, sure.

It never was for the Vive and Rift. They got the ball rolling though (like three feet, but still).

The problem with that thinking really is though while the Vive and Rift are more advanced, if developers aren't jumping in because the numbers aren't there, then content will suffer as we've already seen with the Vive and Rift. This isn't a competition really, but the more devs jump in the better and we'll only see more of that with the PSVR finally having come out.

The tech doesn't matter if there's no games taking advantage of it.

Go to devices, VR - eye to eye distance and setup your IPD from 70cm away from the camera.

Run through the full VR headset light calibration, and camera calibration in the same section.

Load up the adjust headset position bit with the text on the black background.

Put headset on and tighten 75% of the way

Shut one eye and move the headset in small amounts up, down, left and right, twisting the headset band round on your head too if necessary, until the open eye is in focus.

Shut that eye and do similar for the other eye whilst frequently going back to check the first eye is still in focus.

You should be able to read all the text with no bloom of distortion anywhere when you're done

Finish up tightening the headset on the wheel.

The headset may feel off center on your head, but all you need to worry about is the visual clarity.

Make sure your sat 5ft - 6ft from the camera, and align yourself just left of the left hand lens as you look at the camera (when you show on the screen you should barely be out the box on the left hand side as you look at it.

That's pretty much all i can offer on adjustments to improve viewing / tracking.

EDIT - Also play some playrrom stuff, seriously that shows off the most potential and has some of the cleanest graphics of any VR game.

Should be in the OT asap. Great post!

Anybody with two pairs of headphones able to test the DS4 headphone port?

I'm curious if you can still get sound out of the headphone jack on the DS4 while using PSVR, because I want to use a Subpac with this.
anyone?

Finally sorted out a cool storage solution
Okay, I'm totally copying this. Amazon link: https://amzn.com/B00XQH8Y9I

Has anyone tried the shooting gallery in London Heist? How is it?
It's boring. I also hate the reload mechanic. Just get Until Dawn if you want to shoot stuff.

I really get the sense that the wobble is a distance from the camera and/or angle thing because when I am seated for games and playing 5 feet away I get no wobble (and less drift although still some). But when I have to stand for Arkham VR/Job Sim (and you have to generally stand a bit further away than I sit to fit the tracking calibration for Arkham VR), the minor wobbling begins.

To be fair, for me at least it's more immersion breaking than actually game breaking (I finished Arkham VR fine). In Arkham it is obvious on things like the piano at the beginning, which can jitter a bit instead of being fully stable. For me at least I have little issue with the move controllers and more with the world jitter.

Z3M0G

Called Sony for the bad headset jitter / wobble. Turned out the VR extension cable is the problem. Once I removed it and hooked the headset directly the wobble was gone. I know I saw a couple of people here having this problem so it might be the same problem. Sony will send me a new one but that mean I will be without it for few days.

Oh wow... this would explain so much, and kinda makes a lot of sense.

Edit: Unless removing extension simply means you are sitting close to camera, and that is the reason it stops wobbling... :/

Edit: turns out that's all it is...

Also, anecdotally, I played Scavenger's Odyssey today and that game made me feel a bit queasy faster than anything else (I've played stuff like RIGS, Battlezone, Driveclub demo and only RIGS after a long while gave me a minor hint of queasiness). Nothing major though, but it came on relatively quick.

kinggroin

Banned
The problem with that thinking really is though while the Vive and Rift are more advanced, if developers aren't jumping in because the numbers aren't there, then content will suffer as we've already seen with the Vive and Rift. This isn't a competition really, but the more devs jump in the better and we'll only see more of that with the PSVR finally having come out.

The tech doesn't matter if there's no games taking advantage of it.

And there's the misconception. I promise you, as a Vive owner, plenty of games do. Lots of good ones too.

Now I don't disagree that cheaper solutions that are more mainstream are incredibly important in ensuring we see more then just independent releases, and in that regard Sony nailed it - and owners of other headsets will reap the benefits.

But the no games narrative is why Vive and Oculus owners get on edge in these discussions, compounded when we see ports of games already out, getting praise as awesome VR experiences.

Genuinely feels like if it's on the PC it doesn't count.

Also, the market needs companies like HTC and Oculus to trailblaze on the cutting edge. It's tech that eventually makes its way into more affordable platforms (and the independent scene is where what works and what doesn't is usually born from)

Hope I make more sense. The entire VR market, like consoles and PCs, is a symbiotic one

CrazyHal

I didn't know that VR visuals were so pixelated and blurry. I'm so used to crystal clear 1080p, it's gonna take a while to get used to it.

After getting rid of the anti-chunder ui option and getting used to headtracking, rigs is the chuffing bollocks!

Cooler than a eskimos nutsack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom