• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has there been anything on how many extra units Best Buy is getting? I have one being held for me at GameStop but I would like to get one tonight if I could.

Tangeroo

I'm still really intrigued to see if people get the screen door effect. I've been it for almost a week now and am still experiencing it. In Until Dawn, when it goes dark it's literally ALL the pixels in my face..

It's going to be a thing for all VR headsets for awhile. You're literally holding a tiny screen a couple inches from your face. You're going to see the screen door effect for everything because it will be years before we reach pixel density capable of making it invisible to the naked eye.

Dommel

That Playroom VR platformer is pretty amazing. I had a lot of fun with it and could see myself playing platformers this way, really cool.

I would call your local Best Buy. I called a few around me in the Bay Area, and they all told me that they only had enough units to cover preorders and would be turning people away if they showed up expecting to wait in line.

That doesn't sound right BB made a big deal about getting units for launch people in line today and tomorrow.

I know a few people in line right now at different Best Buy's and the workers all guaranteed them launch bundles.

orioto

Good Art™
That Playroom VR platformer is pretty amazing. I had a lot of fun with it and could see myself playing platformers this way, really cool.

What's this ? Is there a vid of it yet ?

I'm frustrated there is no equivalent to the oculus 3d platformer game on psvr. From some crappy demo i tried on Oculus DK2 i can already tell a game like Mario 3d world (meaning with that top down view) would be perfect with vr, perfect, amazing..

III-V

That doesn't sound right BB made a big deal about getting units for launch people in line today and tomorrow.

I know a few people in line right now at different Best Buy's and the workers all guaranteed them launch bundles.

Not all BB stores supporting the midnight launch. It varies by store. They may have consolidated units if several stores in the same vicinity.

I'm frustrated there is no equivalent to the oculus 3d platformer game on psvr. From some crappy demo i tried on Oculus DK2 i can already tell a game like Mario 3d world (meaning with that top down view) would be perfect with vr, perfect, amazing..

Isn't wayward sky similar. Has anyone played that yet?

MrGerbils

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I was surprised too. Got the same story from multiple stores though. Best Buy employees are obviously not the greatest at knowing even their own policies though of course.

Just saying if anyone is planning to drive out, it might be worth giving a call first.

Belfast

A lot of people are obsessed with first-person immersion in VR, but I really love the diorama effect of a good 3rd person view.

After playing through Lucky's Tale, I have to admit that good use of camera angles is still important, though. It worked for the most part, but on occasion, when objects were really close to the screen and the camera was going in one direction while I had Lucky going in the other, it would get rather disorienting. Not queasy, mind you, but my brain definitely did not like trying to deal with the mixed signals.

charpunk

I don't get the whole only have enough to cover preorders thing at best buy. They didn't have a way to do preorders in store, and couldn't do in store pickup either.

So if they are telling you otherwise, they are lying.

Shancake

That isn't screen door effect that would be mura. Always most prominent on dark scenes, screen door effect is more prominent in brighter scenes. Look very similar though.

Got an example of this? I was worried that something was wrong with my headset because I don't remember it happening in initial demos.

joshlpaige

Neo Member
I added an alarm for that Amazon listing tonight. I loved every experience at Best Buy with the headset, but I missed the original preorder opportunity. Hope I can join everyone by this weekend! Pumped.

Chopper

Anyone else preordered Rez but can't get the theme to unlock?

Edit: UK, game is unlocked and the avatars are available. Just not the theme, which is very annoying.

sadromeo

I'm in the arriving tomorrow before 8pm, shipping today, credit card charged Amazon group.

No email confirmation from Amazon either.

Amazon just shipped mine an hour ago! I've been frustrated that it didn't shipped in the morning and I checked throughout the day. No wonder it was shipped so late. The town they shipped it from is only 17 minutes away from my house!

I am so stoked for tomorrow!

Well it looks like I'll be getting one. Showed up 5 hours early to the Nashua NH Bestbuy midnight launch and I'm the first one here. Brought my Vita to keep me busy.

Shikoba

So I got lucky enough to have a core headset and used camera and move controllers secured for me to pick up tonight. I was originally aiming for the bundle and I'm a little paranoid about used electronics... Is there any reason to be worried about the quality/lifespan of a used ps4 camera and moves controllers?

III-V

So I got lucky enough to have a core headset and used camera and move controllers secured for me to pick up tonight. I was originally aiming for the bundle and I'm a little paranoid about used electronics... Is there any reason to be worried about the quality/lifespan of a used ps4 camera and moves controllers?

From what I have read, yes, the move controller batteries diminish over time.

Taker666

Is EVE Gunjack any good?

The £6.39 price for that certainly makes it slightly more tempting than the £54.99 price of EVE Valkyrie.

Freaking Amazon! Anybody else's order change from arriving tomorrow to arriving on monday?? U.S bay area btw..

Yes this happened to me in Canada. I fucking knew it too. Even when they assured me it was coming Thursday, tonight it finally updates and it's arriving Monday.

ckohler

Is Gamestop/Best Buy doing a 12am (9pm pst) launch?
Yes. GameStop's website will let you search to see if your specific location is or not. They're website also says it releases at the same moment across all four time zones (so, midnight Eastern, 11:00pm Central, etc.)

Fusebox

Banned
Just got my VR headset from EB, they didn't get enough Move controllers to fill my pre-order so I grabbed a twin-pack from JB instead. Roll on 5:30pm!!

DavidDesu

Is EVE Gunjack any good?

The £6.39 price for that certainly makes it slightly more tempting than the £54.99 price of EVE Valkyrie.

If it's anything like the Gear VR game, and I assume it will be, then god no, it's awful. Leave well alone. Has a nice startup sequence in the cockpit, then as soon as it starts it's just a head aiming turret game. It's awful. Save the money, buy Tumble instead.

Fisty

So what the hell... RIGS was on PSN but unavailable to buy, now it's completely gone from the store. I want to start the DL while I go to Hollywood to get my headset

Burglekutt

Well shit. Just got a call from Gamestop. Theres a gas leak in the shopping center and the police are ordering a mandatory evacuation. Not getting my unit tonight. Hopefully everyone is ok but this sucks.

So what the hell... RIGS was on PSN but unavailable to buy, now it's completely gone from the store. I want to start the DL while I go to Hollywood to get my headset

Maybe they are finally prepping to put the missing games up on the NA store... :/

You don't usually see the placeholder disappear though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom