• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

III-V

yep, moved the processing unit away from other electronics also. Still doing it. Fan going bit nuts on both units. Not good. Probably a return at this rate.

Sometimes a full shut-down and reboot can help things, preferably on both units. Shut down, unplug power from outlet, let sit for 3 mins. Plug back in and fire it back up. Good Luck.

Headmaster was in my wishlist and has also disappeared. Seems like they are getting the final wave of launch titles ready for purchase.

Has Headmaster been given a price yet?

quick impressions (I have the vive to compare it to).

- yes there is SDE but it is most visible on dark games like thumper etc. Doesn't really bother me. The Vive SDE is worse. Anyone having a problem with the SDE is going to find any other VR worse at the moment.
- the headset is much more comfortable than the vive. This is huge. Its just easier to wear and you feel you can get back to the real world more quickly like pushing a baseball cap brim up.
- the optics are clearer, there are not the annoying god rays from white on black, and I can read more text away from the sweet spot. I look forward to showing it to someone with glasses as they hated the vive with their glasses on.
- the resolution is a little lower than the vive however the art style can cover the difference. No VR lets you work on a desktop hanging in front of you anyway, so it doesn't bother me. I also wouldn't watch a movie under either headset.
- The detail/art style in the free playroom downloadable suits PSVR very well it is polished. All very polished. The playroom mini games are not afraid of moving your POV when you push a stick. Its quite confronting at first. Vive stuff tries to avoid that in most software but in PSVR, bang there it is if you want to get used to it, a sliding point of view.

Tracking
- Ok here is the thing. Standing rock still in a static "room" type game, you feel like you are standing on a ship that is just very slightly moving on flat water. Or you feel like you're in a tree in a sight wind. If you focus too much on this feeling it can be uncomfortable. The Vive doesn't have this issue. In any game where you move your head this feeling becomes invisible. I'm just talking about standing or sitting rock still and watching the world around you. Unfortunately some of the playroom demos show this as they are standing still operating arcade machines type experiences.
- The controller (dual shock) tracking is .... ok. I recommend not looking at them too hard, as they move in and out a bit. Also they drift in their orientation so when you hold your controller flat to check, you find they are tilted. You have to hold them flat then hold down the options button to reset this. Its gyro drift. You might have to do it every minute if not having 1:1 annoys. I don't really know why the camera feedback lets this happen as a tilted controller in the world vs the camera should be obviously out of sync. It isn't a deal breaker but just don't look too hard at your controller as the dis-association starts to happen. Unfortunate a lot of the play room stuff makes heavy use of the dual shock which is rendered in the world etc. Requiring a lot of looking at it. Until you learn the controls by feel.
- I tried with lights on and lights off the slight headset wavering was the same. Again it doesn't bother me even though I'm used to the rock solid positioning done by Vive. I'll happily take the software, comfort, optics and ease of use, and give up some accuracy head tracking when motionless.

The install.

Was easier than the Vive. Took me 10 minutes and no reading of the manual. Just do whats obvious. Unfortunately the first experience is this guided "make the headset comfortable" thing and then suddenly it goes into firmware upgrade mode and you're left with a black screen and have to remove the headset to see what going on. Doesn't take long but then after that you put it back on and have to re-do all the adjustments you just did. Well some of them anyway.

The PS4 desktop

It seem to have a frame-rate the isn't 90fps, with a game running in the background it can even be uncomfortable as the frame rate is even lower. Without any game running (close application) its ok but the tracking isn't quite as nice as in a VR game. Its usable. I imagine this is because the PS4 desktop is done on one core and they don't have the horsepower to make it super VR compatible especially if a game is running.

Anyway summary is: its good. For the money, its 90% of what you get with an oculus etc with some distinct advantages. Anyone who gets PSVR then later tries Vive is only really going to be impressed with the rock solid head and controller tracking and freedom to move etc, but unimpressed with the face clamp feeling, optics and other things like driver hassles and unpolished software.

Newduck

Sometimes a full shut-down and reboot can help things, preferably on both units. Shut down, unplug power from outlet, let sit for 3 mins. Plug back in and fire it back up. Good Luck.

Done, tried multiple times. 5-10 min of playing is overheat warning. Will wait to see what feedback is like from others on next steps. Would be somewhat suprised if i'm only one that would get this. Got one game in on RIGS though

Looks like it did happen at EXPO's.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/4emeev/psvr_processor_overheating_at_games_expo/

robotrock

Banned
Is this game literally just 100% headers? Is there anything else to it, I mean? Cuz otherwise $20 seems a bit steep

The Headmaster website seems to suggest it expands to be more than that, describing it as a kind of Portal-like narrative. Need to see how they pull it off, but that sounds like it could be kind of incredible.

Is this game literally just 100% headers? Is there anything else to it, I mean? Cuz otherwise $20 seems a bit steep

Just headers, but it's got a Portal-esque narrative and sense of humor behind it that makes it look real interesting. Plus, that simple header mechanic appears to be smooth as butter with the PSVR. It'll be the first game I boot up when my headset arrives on Friday.

Triz

Well shit. Just got a call from Gamestop. Theres a gas leak in the shopping center and the police are ordering a mandatory evacuation. Not getting my unit tonight. Hopefully everyone is ok but this sucks.

you in Sacramento area by chance?

scakko84

Seems like i can't download EVE: Valkyrie, it shows up in my collection as purchased, tried downloading like 10 times but download doesn't start. The PS Store shows two version of the games, one showing up as purchased and the other costs 59,99 euros.
I pre-ordered it a couple of days ago.

Anyone with the same problem?

FingerBang

This is the first time I regret living in Japan, as a gamer. The demand is huge but Sony has been really greedy with the available units, so every website that sells the product crashes and runs out as soon as it's available. Also, I don't feel like calling every single store in Tokyo to see if it's available. Guess I can only wait, hoping the situation gets better soon.

bryanee

Ok downloaded to my PS4 I have

The US Demo collection
Playroom VR
Batman
Thumper
DriveClub
Sports Bar VR

Retail I have on the way

Rigs
Until Dawn
Playstation VR Worlds
Loading Human

Now all I have to do is wait for my headset and I'm set.

morpix

Just went hunting. It's sold out at every outlet in New Zealand. Hopefully I can grab one on the 2nd shipment which should be available November 1st.

robotrock

Banned

- yes there is SDE but it is most visible on dark games like thumper etc. Doesn't really bother me. The Vive SDE is worse. Anyone having a problem with the SDE is going to find any other VR worse at the moment.
- the headset is much more comfortable than the vive. This is huge. Its just easier to wear and you feel you can get back to the real world more quickly like pushing a baseball cap brim up.
- the optics are clearer, there are not the annoying god rays from white on black, and I can read more text away from the sweet spot. I look forward to showing it to someone with glasses as they hated the vive with their glasses on.
- the resolution is a little lower than the vive however the art style can cover the difference. No VR lets you work on a desktop hanging in front of you anyway, so it doesn't bother me. I also wouldn't watch a movie under either headset.
- The detail/art style in the free playroom downloadable suits PSVR very well it is polished. All very polished. The playroom mini games are not afraid of moving your POV when you push a stick. Its quite confronting at first. Vive stuff tries to avoid that in most software but in PSVR, bang there it is if you want to get used to it, a sliding point of view.

Tracking
- Ok here is the thing. Standing rock still in a static "room" type game, you feel like you are standing on a ship that is just very slightly moving on flat water. Or you feel like you're in a tree in a sight wind. If you focus too much on this feeling it can be uncomfortable. The Vive doesn't have this issue. In any game where you move your head this feeling becomes invisible. I'm just talking about standing or sitting rock still and watching the world around you. Unfortunately some of the playroom demos show this as they are standing still operating arcade machines type experiences.
- The controller (dual shock) tracking is .... ok. I recommend not looking at them too hard, as they move in and out a bit. Also they drift in their orientation so when you hold your controller flat to check, you find they are tilted. You have to hold them flat then hold down the options button to reset this. Its gyro drift. You might have to do it every minute if not having 1:1 annoys. I don't really know why the camera feedback lets this happen as a tilted controller in the world vs the camera should be obviously out of sync. It isn't a deal breaker but just don't look too hard at your controller as the dis-association starts to happen. Unfortunate a lot of the play room stuff makes heavy use of the dual shock which is rendered in the world etc. Requiring a lot of looking at it. Until you learn the controls by feel.
- I tried with lights on and lights off the slight headset wavering was the same. Again it doesn't bother me even though I'm used to the rock solid positioning done by Vive. I'll happily take the software, comfort, optics and ease of use, and give up some accuracy head tracking when motionless.

The install.

Was easier than the Vive. Took me 10 minutes and no reading of the manual. Just do whats obvious. Unfortunately the first experience is this guided "make the headset comfortable" thing and then suddenly it goes into firmware upgrade mode and you're left with a black screen and have to remove the headset to see what going on. Doesn't take long but then after that you put it back on and have to re-do all the adjustments you just did. Well some of them anyway.

The PS4 desktop

It seem to have a frame-rate the isn't 90fps, with a game running in the background it can even be uncomfortable as the frame rate is even lower. Without any game running (close application) its ok but the tracking isn't quite as nice as in a VR game. Its usable. I imagine this is because the PS4 desktop is done on one core and they don't have the horsepower to make it super VR compatible especially if a game is running.

Anyway summary is: its good. For the money, its 90% of what you get with an oculus etc with some distinct advantages. Anyone who gets PSVR then later tries Vive is only really going to be impressed with the rock solid head and controller tracking and freedom to move etc, but unimpressed with the face clamp feeling, optics and other things like driver hassles and unpolished software.

Awesome impressions, thanks!

Disappointed to hear about the tracking being a little bit swimmy, that's the kind of thing that needs to be perfect. You mess around with your room conditions?

DirtyLarry

I thought I played it real smart tonight. Not much on TV until 10 so my wife said I could feel free to play something and she would go upstairs and watch her shows and/or read.
I said nope, let's watch whatever together tonight, knowing damn well tomorrow night I would want to hook up the PSVR.
She knew something was up right away, called me on it, but has agreed to me having the night tomorrow to myself to hook it up and check it out.
Got the text from Amazon it has shipped.
Looking forward to it.

BrettWeir

Got Battlezone, EVE, and Drive Club in the mail today. Will pick up Thumper tomorrow, along with the bundle. I'm incredibly excited to get this thing, as my Vive has been collecting dust outside of sporadic Audioshield sessions.

Now I just need my Philips Fidelio X2's to come in!

consoul

It didn't end up as the OT headline, so I made a bad jpg of it.
RXYJDjC.jpg

Phreaker

That Playroom VR platformer is pretty amazing. I had a lot of fun with it and could see myself playing platformers this way, really cool.

The only part that freaked me out was being so high up. Like the parts of the level where when you looked down you could see for like a mile and you're just floating up there. I had to stop looking down.

Awesome impressions, thanks!

Disappointed to hear about the tracking being a little bit swimmy, that's the kind of thing that needs to be perfect. You mess around with your room conditions?

Swimmy would be over-estimating it. You have to fix your eyes on something solid, hold your head still, then watch for seconds.. Then you can get the slight random walk that messes with your head. Like you're not moving but your eyes inform you that your head is swaying every so slightly.
It was identical lights on to lights off and identical standing 2ft from the camera vs 8ft so I didn't explore further. I suppose it is remotely possible it is heat drift - as the headset arrived from a van etc etc maybe temperatures need stabilising. Or it is possible having the cable to the camera draped down the back of the TV caused issues. Remotely possible. I encourage anyone with it at home to put on the headset go into any playroom game like the UFO catcher or that cute sort of mario world where you slide along behind your super guy, and then stand absolutely motionless and focus on a fixed bit of scenery. See if you detect it. It wouldn't show up in a lets play or anything, its quite subtle.

Z3M0G

Tracking
- The controller (dual shock) tracking is .... ok. I recommend not looking at them too hard, as they move in and out a bit...

OK what is going on... I tried a demo today and specifically looked for this. It was not happening. Is it turning out to be that common??

Suirrad

Walked into the first GameStop I'd planned to search tonight and asked if they had any extras. He answered yes and I confirmed it was the bundle.

Literally less than 2 minutes of being here, some one else walks in and grabs the last bundle. Crazy! They did say they have a few more base sets too

Paid in full now jus another 3 hour wait!

So the tracking issues are a thing?

Not the giantbomb style issues..

If Vive tracking is an A+
I'd say PSVR headset is an A within the optimal area
PSVR dual shock tracking is an C- mainly because of that orientation drift. B without the orientation drift.
don't know about move controller tracking.

Amazon delivered today early. I'm sitting here staring at it but still not sold. Would have liked to try one first. I might be that guy and put on Craigslist and see what happens. I'll wait to see what more impressions are like.

Josh378

Haha, I'm sitting out here in the front of best buy getting a VR. Manager of the store told me that he has plenty in Stock but the line out here is long. Manager guaranteed me I will get one at the midnight release. Wish me luck everyone!!!

OK what is going on... I tried a demo today and specifically looked for this. It was not happening. Is it turning out to be that common??

I think it is something you need to look for in the peace of your own home setup.

Or I'm being picky. Or my unit is slightly less than optimal. (slightly! it is not obvious especially if you're looking around and gawking etc).
We're talking the kind of random visual head motion you might get if you breath in and out. Not OMG I am going to barf.

Haha, I'm sitting out here in the front of best buy getting a VR. Manager of the store told me that he has plenty in Stock but the line out here is long. Manager guaranteed me I will get one at the midnight release. Wish me luck everyone!!!
There is nobody where I am. Been here for 2.5 hours. Manager said no problem you'll get one we have stacks of them.

Baalzebup

Got a good 2 hours in, testing various demos from the demo-thang I downloaded from the US PS store. The EVE Valkyrie demo was way too short, but the other ones I've tried have all been fun. The Battlezone tank cockpit had some real presence to it.

My Until Dawn RoB demo went all wonky 'till I figured out I had somehow pivoted about 40° away from the camera, so ofc all my attempts at re-calibrating of the move controllers went tits up for a good while.

El-Suave

I'm really impressed by the headset and the VR experience. I would even go so far as to call it "magical". It's much more impressive than I hoped and my niece was blown away as well. We played a few demos and Playroom VR while the old move controllers were still charging. What a fun evening.

I bought VR Worlds after the demo and I'll most likely get Battlezone as well tomorrow. Haven't even tried Rigs the other games.

The only downside to the device is that the lenses get a bit dirty really quickly. Nobody touched them but after some use it looked like somebody did. I have no idea how that happened. We'll see if this is a problem in the long run.

Overall I'm really happy with my purchase and I hope this takes off a bit due to word of mouth.

Soi-Fong

I'm really impressed by the headset and the VR experience. I would even go so far as to call it "magical". It's much more impressive than I hoped and my niece was blown away as well. We played a few demos and Playroom VR while the old move controllers were still charging. What a fun evening.

I bought VR Worlds after the demo and I'll most likely get Battlezone as well tomorrow. Haven't even tried Rigs the other games.

The only downside to the device is that the lenses get a bit dirty really quickly. Nobody touched them but after some use it looked like somebody did. I have no idea how that happened. We'll see if this is a problem in the long run.

Overall I'm really happy with my purchase and I hope this takes off a bit due to word of mouth.

Sooo awesome to hear!! ;D

Tracking

The install.

The PS4 desktop

Awesome comparison review and mostly good stuff to hear.

Josh378

There is nobody where I am. Been here for 2.5 hours. Manager said no problem you'll get one we have stacks of them.

Three more hours...(sigh)

Someone explain what's the difference between PS WORLD demo vs downloading the demo on PSN? Also, is PS World in the core bundle?

I'm getting an error while trying to download the VR Demo Disc on PSN. Says I need to delete content but I have 47.40 GB free, how big is this thing?

Good luck!

ryseing

I'm getting an error while trying to download the VR Demo Disc on PSN. Says I need to delete content but I have 47.40 GB free, how big is this thing?

IIRC you have to have double the space available to install. Demo disc is 37 GB so you need around 75. The game doesn't keep that space, it just needs it for the initial download.

Best Buy is doing 12am EST/9pm PST launch; not sure about what Gamestop is doing.

some are and some arnt for GameStop. Mine is so im so pumped to try it tonight :)

Yes. GameStop's website will let you search to see if your specific location is or not. They're website also says it releases at the same moment across all four time zones (so, midnight Eastern, 11:00pm Central, etc.)

Thanks. The one I preordered from is open 9pm tonight (two hours from now). I'm tempted but I'll be on it all night and that'll be trouble.

Shoeless

Three more hours...(sigh)

Someone explain what's the difference between PS WORLD demo vs downloading the demo on PSN? Also, is PS World in the core bundle?

PS World is a small collection of five different experiences. It's not included in the core bundle. The demo disc that's free on the PSN is what's included in the core bundle, and that's got short demos of a large collection of different VR games so you can try before you buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom