• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchman

Gold Member
My first short impressions. I already own the GearVR and Oculus CV1 headsets. Almost no screen door effect compared to Oculus, but noticable lower resolution. Not a big deal, really, I hope down sampling on the PS4 Pro will clean up the image a bit.
Most of the US demos was quite fun, but both Rez and Battlezone didn't allow me to reset the view so I had to look to the left. The rest was fine. My headset is just to the side of the rectangle as I have issues with space, but all the other software was fine. Not buying those based on the demo.
The headset itself was more comfortable than Oculus to wear, but the ring around my head is a bit tight and can't be loosened up more. I have a huge head, size 64 or something, so I guess it's just something I will have to get used to. Oculus also had tightness issues.

DavidDesu

Just the shark demo minus the shark lol - it's super impressive though. The rest are menu items with descriptions of the content.

Seriously it doesn't give you a glimpse of the shark in the demo? Goddamit I really wanted to show that to my girlfriend. I'll get VR Worlds when it's much cheaper physical in a few weeks, but I can wait for now. Dangerball looks cool and I'll need to experience the London Heist at least once, it looks cool.

Hawk269

2 hours and some change before I pick mine up from GS. Going to clean my apartment in the meantime.

LMAO. I do the same thing whenever I get a big game or something new gaming wise. I usually will do a complete cleaning of my gaming area, vacuuming, dusting, cleaning the screen etc. It is weird, but I like this clean and organized, especially new hardware. Have fun man!!!

You don't need a pro for the full experience. I would say maybe "enhanced" experience? But even that might be generous given that we don't really know how games will use the pros specs. I think people forget that a lot of the PSVR limitions are in the hardware of the headset and not necessarily the PS4 itself. Sure you could improve aspects of the graphics with the pro but at the end of the day, that headset is 1080 and there's nothing that will change that.

I'd argue to get the best possible experience possible out of PSVR, you're going to need a Pro. It's optional just like the Move controllers are, but to get the most out of it, you'll need both PS Move and a Pro. That's not to dismiss having a regular PS4, but when I think of the full experience, I think of the absolute best you can get and that includes a Pro. Graphic visual fidelity at this point is going to be a significant factor too despite the limitations of the display, so every bit helps.

Nags

Banned
LMAO. I do the same thing whenever I get a big game or something new gaming wise. I usually will do a complete cleaning of my gaming area, vacuuming, dusting, cleaning the screen etc. It is weird, but I like this clean and organized, especially new hardware. Have fun man!!!

Most definitely!

So, after watching multiple Twitch streams, I am quite concerned with the Move controller. The calibration is really bad. The headset isn't having any tracking issues and is working perfectly, but those move controllers......man. They keep going in and out even after calibration. This is happening with standing and sitting. I really wish Sony went for IR controllers instead of the Move.

rinse82

Was all ready to return my PSVR to Best Buy but now that I got the shipping notice...it's starting to feel real.

And, I may just keep it.

Damn it, so much money.

El-Suave

Seriously it doesn't give you a glimpse of the shark in the demo? Goddamit I really wanted to show that to my girlfriend. I'll get VR Worlds when it's much cheaper physical in a few weeks, but I can wait for now. Dangerball looks cool and I'll need to experience the London Heist at least once, it looks cool.

The shark is a no show indeed, there are stingrays and other impressive animals though. Even what little is there is a nice showpiece for other people.

mooooose

Hey, I'm getting the PSVR but I'm not sure whether or not to get the bundle. I really don't care too much about the game it comes with, so it's just for the move controllers. Are they really that necessary right now? Are there games that require them or really make a great use of them? Or can I get it later and save some money now?

I may or may not have goofed. gamestop.com added the PSVR back to their online inventory at 12AM EDT, so I threw what I thought was a launch bundle in the cart and checked out. Whoops! Some stupid bundle with a used camera and a charging stand for $499.99.

I cancelled this order and went back to the search page. I didn't see any other $499.99 items in the list, or so I thought, so I ordered a core. I completed that order and cancelled the first.

Out of curiosity, I took another look. Lo and behold, there was the Launch bundle, also available in limited quantities. I repeated the cancel and reorder process, and so far they haven't sent me any angry emails or cancelled my active order, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed to be sure.

All this came after I reset my password for the only order I've ever made online from them. I know they will probably ship my order, but in all the panic thinking I wouldn't get one for a few weeks, I got myself all worked up.
I'm sorry for the awful story, I just wanted to share my dumbassery.

ryseing

Hey, I'm getting the PSVR but I'm not sure whether or not to get the bundle. I really don't care too much about the game it comes with, so it's just for the move controllers. Are they really that necessary right now? Are there games that require them or really make a great use of them? Or can I get it later and save some money now?

The bundle has the camera as well in case you don't have that.

Batman is probably the biggest game that uses them. Stuff like Job Simulator and Until Dawn use them in interesting ways as well. I'd recommend picking up a pair, but I'm sure you can save some scratch if you're fine getting that stuff used.

nikos

My TV just bricked. I'm completely livid right now. I don't have any other display, other than a DVI monitor. Will I be able to set up and play PSVR without the TV?

I can't afford to go out and buy a new TV tomorrow. I had a feeling something bad would happen today.

EDIT: Remote play should hopefully work.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Some just went live on Amazon. Purchased mine, gets here Monday. Pleasant surprise of the night!

Now to look at some games. Can't wait to see how this stacks up against my Vive.

styl3s

Shit. I'm debating if I should just do Amazon or try my luck at Walmart tomorrow.
Pre-order on sites have been up for almost 40 minutes now which means they must have a shit load of stock because New Egg and Dell and a few other sites where stock popped up they went in seconds as did the first few pre-order things they did.

I'm starting to think Sony actually planned a head and it won't be as hard to find as people think which is a good thing.

GOT MINE at BEST BUY!
Now to figure out how to make it work in this small ass room of mine XD.
How many non-preorder units did they have?

ryseing

Seems like Sportsbar VR won't be available till next week. It's not up on the store.

Yeah, it was the first one I searched for to DL. Unfortunate.

Heads up y'all- the store did a complete refresh. There's a PSVR tab, a made for PSVR section, and a PSVR mode section.

Highlights- Gunjack is $8 with +, which seems about right for a mobile port.
Headmaster is $18
Job Simulator is the full $30, which is disappointing. Was hoping for a 20% launch discount as $24 would be a bit more palatable for what I have seen from that game.

dreamfall

Ordered it at Amazon - still kind of on the fence but I pre-ordered it again after canceling the first time baha.

Are new orders being shipped for the weekend? Or is delivery really Monday?

styl3s

Ordered it at Amazon - still kind of on the fence but I pre-ordered it again after canceling the first time baha.
lol i did the same thing i pre-ordered the day they went up then canceled it last week because of all the negative stuff i was reading which then led to fear of is this thing gonna tank?

Amazon (at least US) accepts returns on open tech so if it makes me sick worst case scenario i send it back.

Tagg9

TrojanAg

I'm in the same boat. I had it preordered since March and cancelled a couple of days ago, but I've had a change of heart and bought one from Amazon tonight. I don't think I'll cancel again.

So the Japanese PS store has some interesting PSVR stuff for sale. As someone going into that market blind I'm curious to see what Fly to Kuma is? I don't even know if it's a game or what but I know it has a pink teddy bear in a suit, so it seemed like something I should buy. There's something with a Japanese school girl that isn't summer lessons & a lot of "stand in the middle of 360 shots of Japanese locales" stuff.

I also noticed that they have The Kitchen demo for sale for 100 yen. I do not know Japanese in anyway. I believe it's an age gated purchase as I couldn't figure out how to buy it. I know it's on the demo disc but I'm kind of going disc-less with PSVR games (partially so that I can switch games with the headset on) so I'd like to get this digital version of The Kitchen demo.

tr00per

My local gs had 4 total. Mine was the only pre order their computers allowed them to take. The manager said they were getting the most out of any stores in town (i believe there are 8 in my town)

I'm kind of going disc-less with PSVR games (partially so that I can switch games with the headset on)

That's a good idea. You can slide it down and see a bit below you with the unit on though

Soi-Fong

That is fucking bullshit if it's PS+ only. It even comes with English subtitles. =(

It's up on the European store, just not North America.

I think it's possible to get a PS+ trial at least on the Asian store. That's what I'll be doing. Ah, you're right it is up on the EU store. What's up with NA not getting it?

So the Japanese PS store has some interesting PSVR for sale. As someone going into that market blind I'm curious to see what Fly to Kuma is? I don't even know if it's a game or what but I know it has a pink teddy bear in a suit, so it seemed like something I should buy.

I also noticed that they have The Kitchen demo for sale for 100 yen. I do not know Japanese in anyway. I believe it's an age gated purchase as I couldn't figure out how to buy it. I know it's on the demo disc but I'm kind of going disc-less with PSVR games (partially so that I can switch games with the headset on) so I'd like to get this digital version of The Kitchen demo.

I've played that on the Rift. It's nothing really special. Just a quirky title.

styl3s

Are new orders being shipped for the weekend? Or is delivery really Monday?
I selected overnight shipping to ensure i got it friday instead of sunday it was only like $14-15 more which i am already spending $550 so why not.

ryseing

Hopefully, it does come out next week. I've been thinking of also just going for Loading Human even though there's next to nothing about it. Just looks real interesting.

I suspect the VR rush will lead us all to make purchases we otherwise wouldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom