• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

DjRalford

Just got lost playing batman, hour and a half gone so fast!

that ending, amazing! And there's so much to do after with the riddler stuff, looking up the vehicles, characters, building the stuff from the pieces it's all mind blowing.

Best £16 ive spent!

Tumle

Full control, you've got the analogue stick on the gun.

It was fun for a short burst and actually gave me a real sense of what VR could be, but it's not for me. Maybe in a few hardware generations when the fidelity is better.

Yea going in on the ground floor is not for everybody:)
But I can live with resolution so I'm all good :)
I have played since my comadore 64 days on an SD screen.. so no problems here 😊

crimilde

Banned
Finally got around to playing more Thumper. Oh. My. God. Amazing, my mind is blown! Also, after this play session the real world seems so... dull haha. Such a weird feeling. Like the colours are washed out.

Finally got around to playing more Thumper. Oh. My. God. Amazing, my mind is blown! Also, after this play session the real world seems so... dull haha. Such a weird feeling. Like the colours are washed out.

I had that experience as well: the world isn't as colorful and my 42" TV is way too small now! Lol!

bosseye

Yea going in on the ground floor is not for everybody:)
But I can live with resolution so I'm all good :)
I have played since my comadore 64 days on an SD screen.. so no problems here 😊

I've been gaming since the spectrum days and I don't typically give a crap about resolution on any of the 2D games I play, so I was very surprised it affected me as much as it did. I can get by with jaggies, but they did feel excessive and it just made my 36 year old eyes feel weary quite quickly.

This is amazing... I was born with strabismic amblyopia with dipolopia aka "crossed" or "lazy" eye with constant, offset double-vision. In high school I did some strengthening therapy that straightened my eyes to make them appear uncrossed, but the condition itself was never corrected so I've just learned to live with it in my life. As a result of this I have no depth perception or stereo vision and I cannot see 3D games, 3D movies, etc, but when I play certain games in PlayStation VR I only see one image with depth!!! The other day after a couple hours of playing games I took the headset off and I saw depth around my house and in traffic for the first time in my life!! As the morning went on my vision returned back to my normal, but there's clearly some kind of "vision therapy" happening in PSVR. I'm 47 years old and I can't describe what it feels like to see depth, to see 3D for the first time in my life. It was amazing and overwhelming all at once. I know there's the medical program 'Vivid Vision' for Oculus which was developed to correct this condition, but I never expected it to happen naturally from just playing games. I really hope something like that comes to PSVR because this could be life changing for me.

Well, Shu knows about it now, had to tweet it to him and he saw it. ^^

[tweet]https://twitter.com/OldGit_Gamer/status/789201176705306624[/tweet]

Enjoy the 3d vision mate. :)

spidye

This is amazing... I was born with strabismic amblyopia with dipolopia aka "crossed" or "lazy" eye with constant, offset double-vision. In high school I did some strengthening therapy that straightened my eyes to make them appear uncrossed, but the condition itself was never corrected so I've just learned to live with it in my life. As a result of this I have no depth perception or stereo vision and I cannot see 3D games, 3D movies, etc, but when I play certain games in PlayStation VR I only see one image with depth!!! The other day after a couple hours of playing games I took the headset off and I saw depth around my house and in traffic for the first time in my life!! As the morning went on my vision returned back to my normal, but there's clearly some kind of "vision therapy" happening in PSVR. I'm 47 years old and I can't describe what it feels like to see depth, to see 3D for the first time in my life. It was amazing and overwhelming all at once. I know there's the medical program 'Vivid Vision' for Oculus which was developed to correct this condition, but I never expected it to happen naturally from just playing games. I really hope something like that comes to PSVR because this could be life changing for me.

there are quite a lot of studies on amblyopic eyes and how constant training with video games affected the visual acuity and stereo vision for the better. although most of the studies were on axial amblyopic eyes if I remember correctly.

CLEEK

You are nearsighted. :)

And yes--as VR becomes more ubiquitous, in the future you may start to see people given the choice of ordering prescription lenses made for their headsets, although a more universal standard would need to be in place to ensure compatibility with shape and function. The DK1 had interchangeable normal, near, and farsighted lenses, however unfortunately they abandoned this for the final 'streamlined' design of the cv1. I imagine in the future, shape changing or compound lenses controlled by software are definitely a possibility, (this would be able to adjust the focal point of the image to focus on your macula) but otherwise that adjustment could not be done in software with static lenses. Also, things like headset size and weight to accommodate such a mechanism would need to be taken into account. I think you will see these kinds of advancements come hand in hand with implementation of foveal rendering.

Interestingly, headsets like gear VR do NOT require you to wear your glasses, as by virtue of its design the focal point can be adjusted until it is centered on your macula. This doesn't serve people with significantly different impairments per eye, however.

PSVR is my first VR experience, and opening up the box and trying it on for the first time was my first exposure to how it all worked. I was really surprised that is didn't have a binocular style focus adjuster on it. Is there a technical reason why it couldn't do this?

I'm a tiny bit far sighted, but prefer the trade of for a ever-so-slightly out of focus image over wearing glasses and the headset together.

Kalentan

When does Farpoint come out? And is it going to have a bundle with the new sony move shooter?

I need to find my old move controller with the analog stick. I can use that on PS4, right?

Or wait... Is the new shooter move controller it's own thing?

This thing:

new-ps-vr-tjpg-da821b_1280w.jpg

When does Farpoint come out? And is it going to have a bundle with the new sony move shooter?

I need to find my old move controller with the analog stick. I can use that on PS4, right?

This thing:
It's an all new device with new gyros and other stuff. Reports are that tracking is far better than the Move controllers by a mile. It's a single unit and should ship with Farpoint.

Kalentan

It's an all new device with new gyros and other stuff. Reports are that tracking is far better than the Move controllers by a mile. It's a single unit and should ship with Farpoint.

Yo that is dope and makes things much easier. I really can't wait to pick it up. The move kind of just died for me on PS3 even though I liked using it for SOCOM 4 and a bit of Killzone... But in reality, for motion to controllers to be really effective... I truly believe it needed VR.

VR changes motion controls for the better.

Shoeless

I wonder if they plan to sell that thing separately at launch, or are they going to wait a while until more shooter games are available. I'm pretty much digital this generation, so I have no interest in Farpoint as a pack-in game, as I'd be buying it off the PSN anyway, so just the gun would be fine for me.

El-Suave

My dog just ended my Wayward Sky session, I noticed he entered the room and sat besides me, so I petted him with Move controller in hand. Pretty soon that wasn't enough and I felt his paws on my chest and he licked the part of my face that wasn't obstructed by the headset. Must have looked pretty cute but I now wonder if it was jealousy or if he was worried for me. Oh and the game is really good, too - I recommend it to anyone who liked the demo.

This thing:

No idea as to when it's out, but it's listed on GameStop's website as a bundle with the aim controller and farpoint for $79.99. Farpoint by itself is $49.99.

Also yes, it is its own thing. You can't use your old sharpshooter attachment.

jrcbandit

The Best Buy bundle deal is crazy (their own bundle, not the official Sony one). You get the headset, Move, and camera for $499 like the actual Sony bundle, but the real kicker is you get $10 off any VR game that they carry, both physical and digital codes (they have a large number of digital codes on Bestbuy.com such as Bound, Tumble, etc.). This $10 discount stacks with Gamer Club Unlocked so I got Batman VR and Until Dawn: Rush of Blood physical discs for $7 each and Rigs for $30. You can use this discount on any game including Tumble VR which brings the price down to $0. I had already bought Tumble VR off PSN so I didn't get in on this, my friend did last night. The $10 working on multiple games at any price and stacking with Gamer's Club Unlocked has to be some sort of bug, it was probably only intended for VR games $39.99 and up. I originally only bought the headset + Move + 2 games last Friday from Best Buy, I went in today to get in on the bundle action so I got the camera for free and Rigs for $10 ($30-$20 refunded from Batman and Until Dawn).

eFKac

No idea as to when it's out, but it's listed on GameStop's website as a bundle with the aim controller and farpoint for $79.99. Farpoint by itself is $49.99.

Also yes, it is its own thing. You can't use your old sharpshooter attachment.

Is this officially confirmed? Thought my Sharpshooter would come back from the dead, but it seems it will stay dead :-(

octobot

Has anyone found an extension cable for the PS4 camera that isn't ridiculously priced?

Best Buy has a store branded one for $19.99 I picked one up to move the camera to the top of my tv to hopefully help out with standing games like job simulator.

Vol5

Just played Rez Area X. Seriously next-level gaming type shenanigans going on there.

Rez 2 has to happen. Please for the love of everything that's good, it has to happen.

Mizuguchi....please....

It is so nice to hear this. I hope Sony develops a medical program with PSVR to help people like you.

majik13

Is Farpoint on rails or do you have full control of your movement?

full movement, but the demo warps you to new locations after every encounter. The rep demoing said that it only something that is done in the demo, but I have a feeling the retail game will do this to. Its sort of an auto calibration thing, to make sure you always turn back towards the camera. But we will see.

Not sure how they could make a full game with 360 degree exploration, and make sure that you are always facing the camera. Since this games turning is based on where you are looking. The thumbstick just controls character movement/forward/backward and strafing iirc.

I've been gaming since the spectrum days and I don't typically give a crap about resolution on any of the 2D games I play, so I was very surprised it affected me as much as it did. I can get by with jaggies, but they did feel excessive and it just made my 36 year old eyes feel weary quite quickly.

You did pick the worst game to play - drive club looks like shit

farpoint actually doesn't look that bad though

full movement, but the demo warps you to new locations after every encounter. The rep demoing said that it only something that is done in the demo, but I have a feeling the retail game will do this to. Its sort of an auto calibration thing, to make sure you always turn back towards the camera. But we will see.

Not sure how they could make a full game with 360 degree exploration, and make sure that you are always facing the camera. Since this games turning is based on where you are looking.
The thumbstick just controls character movement/forward/backward and strafing iirc.
We have games with head turning where you can jump, double jump, boost, 180, 360, 720, 1337, etc.

Why would this work any different. Turn your head, you turn in game. You don't have to ever pick your feet up from the ground or butt off the chair.

eFKac

For anyone that might have missed it like I did, Robinson The Journey is launching on 8th/9th of November!

Nice, sooner than I expected.

I'm pretty sure I'm ready to try out of Batman.

Do it. :)

It's fantastic.

A bit of an update: I think I may have got it sorted! I went through the PS troubleshooting site, and they literally tell you to try turning it off and on — i.e., powering down your PS4 completely, unplugging it for a minute or two, and then trying it again. I did that and so far Job Simulator and Batman are working correctly.

If anyone else is having tracking issues and hasn't tried this yet, this guide might be helpful. One tip: when you go through the guide, it will ask you about adjusting the camera; when it asks, "is it level and stable," say "no" — otherwise it will just assume you've fixed the problem, even if you haven't.

Nice. Good to hear you didn't give up and sell it before getting it sorted, now go enjoy those games :)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Doodled some more in Harmonix VR, might as well post it:
CvQG4aZW8AAno6u.jpg:large

I heard there's differences in tracking with the different cameras... ? I have both but I'm using the newer one. Is one supposed to be better than the other?

I heard there's differences in tracking with the different cameras... ? I have both but I'm using the newer one. Is one supposed to be better than the other?
People have issues with both.

Some say the older camera works better but I've had issues with mine and so have others. Anecdotal at best.

Not sure how they could make a full game with 360 degree exploration, and make sure that you are always facing the camera. Since this games turning is based on where you are looking. The thumbstick just controls character movement/forward/backward and strafing iirc.

Going by most FPS's over the past few generations that shouldn't be much of a problem. [Cue original Doom map vs Call of Duty map image]. Except for multiplayer I can't think of many occasions where it has been vital to be able to 180.

But like Jacksinthe says the tech is already doing that and it works well, Rigs especially.

robotrock

Banned

May as well give the older one a shot if you're having any issues with the new ones.

Your feedback is valid and appreciated.

Preorder Robinson at $40/32 (if you have Prime) from Amazon before they update MSRP to $60.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Wario64/status/789240076106477568

PSVR Robinson: The Journey - PlayStation 4 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M5BODWT/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Crytek announced MSRP at $60 today. http://crytek.com/news/crytek--s-ro...-available-from-early-november-for-5999--5999

Thanks! Just preordered, easily my most anticipated VR Game this year. Seems like a good price!

Slixshot

Banned
We have games with head turning where you can jump, double jump, boost, 180, 360, 720, 1337, etc.

Why would this work any different. Turn your head, you turn in game. You don't have to ever pick your feet up from the ground or butt off the chair.

If youre talkin about rigs... ma man! Hell yeah!

Preorder Robinson at $40/32 (if you have Prime) from Amazon before they update MSRP to $60.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Wario64/status/789240076106477568

PSVR Robinson: The Journey - PlayStation 4 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M5BODWT/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Crytek announced MSRP at $60 today. http://crytek.com/news/crytek--s-ro...-available-from-early-november-for-5999--5999

Edit: Wario64 says same price at GameStop FYI.
Sweet catch, thanks (and thanks Wario64), worth a pre-order just in case

Slixshot

Banned

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
Do we know anything regarding Robinson: The Journey? Aside from Dinosaurs on an alien planet, there really hasn't been much talk about it.

bumpkin

Do it. :)

It's fantastic.
It is pretty awesome. My only complaint is playing it sitting is a no-go unless you have a huge play space. During calibration it asks you to stand in the middle of a bat symbol, but then expects you to line up the headset with a box on the screen. I have somewhere between 4-5 feet between my TV/camera and my couch. Without standing, I couldn't get the headset lined up. I tried playing with compromised calibration for a while, but it got to be troublesome. My utility belt was angled at 45 degrees, it was super weird and made reaching for things weird.

Do we know anything regarding Robinson: The Journey? Aside from Dinosaurs on an alien planet, there really hasn't been much talk about it.
This. I bought PSVR with it in mind.

Carl

Had girlfriend over tonight, we've been playing Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes. What a really stressful but incredibly fun game.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Had girlfriend over tonight, we've been playing Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes. What a really stressful but incredibly fun game.

Worth the money? How young do you think kids could be to do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom