• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris_C

Is the Job Simulator tracking as bad in the real games as it is in the Demo? I really want to play it but it's almost unplayable in the demo. PSVR is making me want to go buy a Vive lol.

Haven't played the full game, but yeah, the demo turned me off JS as the tracking just doesn't work from that far away. Take a step forward though, and it works perfectly. Unfortunately, you're almost standing in the desk at that point.

If you're getting both, I'd get Pro first then PSVR for Christmas. They've got a lot of bugs (or recalls) to do with VR (namely drift). Assuming this is your first headset and real experience with VR, you'll feel like the Christmas fat kid getting N64/Mario 64 in 1996 which will be a nice memory.

Are there really lots of recalls on the hardware though or just differences based upon people's setups? I haven't heard about faulty VR hardware. Either way, if I get it on Amazon they usually have great customer service if it's broken.

I really want that Mario 64 moment again though!

Horizon is the Game I need to own the pro for So I can wait. I'm picking up PSVR 1st.

That's mainly what I'm getting the Pro for, and the fact that it should improve VR too...I actually don't have a 4K set yet, so the only advantage I will get from the Pro is better IQ and framerate mostly.

Personally as someone on retail side of things, I would probably go with psvr first. I have a feeling that going to be way harder to get this Christmas. Pros are probably going to be a harder sell when parents can just buy a regular ps4 for a $100 cheaper.

Are you seeing PSVR start to sell out?

I definitely see PSVR being produced in much more limited quantities and the Pro being abundantly available.

Also I still have my Move controllers from back in the PS3 days when it first launched...there's been no improvements to the new move controllers, right? Same hardware as before?

Hey uh so... I have some VR adult video files if you catch my drift. They're MP4's and worked fine with my Gear VR. Any ideas why they wouldn't work in the Playstation Media Player? I got the VR update and everything but when I try to select one of the files I get a generic failure message. They also have 360/180 in the titles so I figured that would tell the Media Player how to load it up correctly, that's what happens with the Gear VR.

Also I still have my Move controllers from back in the PS3 days when it first launched...there's been no improvements to the new move controllers, right? Same hardware as before?
Yep. Exactly the same.

El-Suave

Apparently they didn't even change the USB charging from mini to micro so you can't use DS4 cables. Those might really be surplus stock of old controllers.

OK so I can just use my existing Move controllers, but do I need the new PS4 camera or will the PS3 camera work?

Trying to figure out what all I need to buy. Looks like I don't need the VR bundle, I can just get the headset and camera, right?

Yes on the controllers, but you do need a PS4 camera, the PS3 Eye won't work.

joebruin

What are you guys using for storage options when it's not in use?

i just disconnect the headset from the breakout box and put it in the white box it came with and put it under my coffee table. has the foam padding and it also protects it from any sunlight during the day.

bumpkin

Try pushing the strap around the back of your head up -- it pushes the headset down a bit and usually fixes the light bleed at the bottom for me.
I've found that I usually need to shift the front of the headset up a hair for the picture to clear, so I almost always have a sliver of light if I look down towards my nose. The thing is I honestly don't notice it once I'm enveloped in a game.

Although it not being disruptive could also be a benefit of my environment. The primary lighting in my game room is a single light in the ceiling.

i just disconnect the headset from the breakout box and put it in the white box it came with and put it under my coffee table. has the foam padding and it also protects it from any sunlight during the day.
What does it need protection from sunlight for? I mean I know direct sunlight isn't good for anything, I just wasn't aware of something specific about this.

ZehDon

The same was true of No Man's Sky. I think you should adjust your expectations regarding Dreams. Avoid disappointment.

Would be good to have a VR creation mode though, just to create/puppeteer individual elements to incorprate into your Dreams.
I believe they confirmed PSVR support will come post launch during a stream with Colin Moriarty? I'll try and dig up a link once I get off work. Is it confirmed 30FPS on base PS4?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
The same was true of No Man's Sky. I think you should adjust your expectations regarding Dreams. Avoid disappointment.

Would be good to have a VR creation mode though, just to create/puppeteer individual elements to incorprate into your Dreams.

Nothing was ever promised for NMS. On the other hand Dreams is definitely getting a PSVR mode.

charpunk

Are you seeing PSVR start to sell out?

I definitely see PSVR being produced in much more limited quantities and the Pro being abundantly available.

It's sold out around here. Took a few days, but word of mouth is getting out about how great it is. Doesn't seem like there is much excitement in this area around the Pro. I know a few super hardcore that want it, but most people have been very meh about it. Sony really hasn't done a good job marketing either one to the average consumer.

Wehrwolf

Any recommendations for headphones/headset pretty much exclusively for use with PSVR for 3d audio? Don't need anything super top of the line, as I doubt I'd notice (I don't tend to have the audio that loud)

The earbud style ones (not just Sony, any of them) don't stay in my ears.

For headsets/headphones, I wasn't sure if they'd get in the way of the VR headset.

Shoeless

OK so I can just use my existing Move controllers, but do I need the new PS4 camera or will the PS3 camera work?

Trying to figure out what all I need to buy. Looks like I don't need the VR bundle, I can just get the headset and camera, right?

I would advise plugging them in and seeing if they'll take the charge. For whatever reason, Move controllers seem to die off if they're left sitting in storage for a while. I'm in the same situation as you, had Move controllers from back in the day, but once people started prepping for PS VR and testing their Move controllers there were a few reports of dead units. Unfortunately, that was the case for one of mine, so I ended up having to get a replacement of eBay for it.

tr00per

Any recommendations for headphones/headset pretty much exclusively for use with PSVR for 3d audio? Don't need anything super top of the line, as I doubt I'd notice (I don't tend to have the audio that loud)

For headsets/headphones, I wasn't sure if they'd get in the way of the VR headset.

And you tried the different inserts that come with it?

Currently I use the sony pulse elites. Remember that whatever you get must function as regular unpowered wired headphones. USB or Bluetooth headphones will not work.

I have a pair if audio technica ath-m50s that are great headphones but they don't fit my head with the headset on :(

The nice thing about ear buds is that you can remove them independent from the headset much easier.

I would advise plugging them in and seeing if they'll take the charge. For whatever reason, Move controllers seem to die off if they're left sitting in storage for a while. I'm in the same situation as you, had Move controllers from back in the day, but once people started prepping for PS VR and testing their Move controllers there were a few reports of dead units. Unfortunately, that was the case for one of mine, so I ended up having to get a replacement of eBay for it.

This. The li-on batteries will die eventually from disuse. However if they're dead, replacing the batteries might be cheaper than buying new ones.

ugh, what the hell!

how do I know if they're dead? I have them charging, press the PS button, and only a red light blinks...

Gemeanie

ugh, what the hell!

how do I know if they're dead? I have them charging, press the PS button, and only a red light blinks...
The red light blinks when it's charging

My frustration though, is how I can't charge them with normal plug like DS4 and have to charge them through PS4 or computer instead

pfkas

I got one yesterday. Just walked into Smyths the toystore (in Bromborough on the Wirral) and they had about 8 just sitting there on the shelves. I had previously cancelled a day one amazon order but when it was there I just couldn't resist.

Glad I did, it's ace. The whole family loved it. Just played the demos yesterday but I've downloaded a few proper games and will spend a bit of time with it tonight. Now I just have to go to bloody work first.

Paradox96

Neo Member
If anyone having a hard time getting a PSVR, let me know. I have Launch Bundle for sale. I got some weird side effects after 4 hours of use. I got like night terrors and nausea even after hours of playing :/... oh well.

I have the same problem, earbud falls out of left ear. If you want a good headset and you have the money, buy a Sony Gold headset. Fits on PSVR too and the PSVR 3D audio is great

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
it doesn't blink when it's charging, only when I press the PS Button on the controller while it's charging

I had this with mine when I first tried to charge them off the console. Couldn't get them to charge at all. Even tested the cable on ps3 controller just in case it was that but that worked fine. Bought a charging station and it started charging them instantly. Didn't need battery replacements

panda-zebra

Man, people weren't kidding when they said Batman VR is short. Beat it in like 40 minutes. Cool experience, but wish there was more to it. Guess I'll have to 100% it to get some of my money's worth.

I think I spent longer than that just messing around with things, exploring the batcave devices etc. No point rushing through something like that just to get it done - it's an experience - take some time to experience it.

Plasma

Banned
The AI on Sports Bar VR is insane I picked the easiest difficulty and it potted four balls with its first go then potted the black a couple of turns after that.

Garuda1One

Guys, i cant play Driveclub VR for more than 5 minutes without getting sick.. and now im still feeling nausea hours (6 hours to be precise) after i put it down..

help

snipah

Neo Member

I heard good things about the Sony MDR-10RC, which is obviously quite cheap if you look around a little. Tests read great and obviously the on-ear-concept works great with PS VR. Ordered one for ~ 60 EUR from Amazon.de

Click here to read a review

Carl

Got the platinum for Playroom VR last night. What a really fun little game. Sony really need to expand on some of the games in that (especially the platformer, as we've been over before).

Having my girlfriend over for the last 4 days was fun playing co-op VR. Taking it in turns every 10 minutes or so. Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes was espcially fun for this (though we got pissed off with it when it got to the stage of having 4 needy knobs >_>)

Still really loving VR!

Anyone else looking forward to Tethered this week? :)

tr00per

The IPD really needs a slider or an active way to get the best clarity and least eye strain....seems Reddit is on it, this person made a little cheat sheet so you can test out each measurement and see what is most comfortable, until (hopefully) Sony allows a more direct method.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/58jb5y/ipdeyetoeye_measurement_number_cheat_sheet/

Agreed. Thanks for the post

Guys, i cant play Driveclub VR for more than 5 minutes without getting sick.. and now im still feeling nausea hours (6 hours to be precise) after i put it down..

help

How many times have you played it? Try sitting still and just looking forward or maybe the different Camera angles?

Mendrox

help

Driveclub is just a bad VR port. I heard it helps to change your settings where you sit. You shouldnt see your cockpit I heard.

panda-zebra

What are you guys using for storage options when it's not in use?

shoe box - waiting for one of those nice moulded cases to be released.

Driveclub is just a bad VR port. I heard it helps to change your settings where you sit. You shouldnt see your cockpit I heard.

As someone who has played multiple 2 hour+ sessions of this game, I don't accept this, there's nothing inherently wrong with the game, people just cope with it differently. Same with Battlezone, Rigs, Eve Valkyrie, Scavengers Odyssey. Changing the player position in the driving seat and also the camera viewpoint does help some people, others not so much. I use a ffb wheel and match its position as closely as possible to the one I'm seeing in VR (which also happense to be very close to the settings some people find most comfortable - higher and further forward). It'll be interesting to see if ps4 pro helps with the blurry visuals and how that affects the experience for those who have issues.

help

Dem feels, I can recall. Played on launch day before I went to sleep. Awful night sleep. I somewhere read adjusting your ride height helps.

Yeah thats just bullshit. I have had no problems whatsoever. It is down to peoples sensitivities to motion sickness.

Many people seem to be having success with how Rigs eases you into the experience and going from feeling nausea initially to being able to play full speed for prolonged periods of time. Essentially ease yourself into the game, play short bursts, take it slow, get used to the movements before throwing it all together at high speed. In DC pick cruise mode, a car with little drift and a flat track, get use to acceleration and breaking, then turning, quick directional changes, drifting and finally spin outs. Then try a track with elevation changes. Save Atlanterhavsveien for last though, if you can do that full speed in the Venom nothing will make you ill in the game. Also if you start to feel slightly off just stop.

Wehrwolf

I have the same problem, earbud falls out of left ear. If you want a good headset and you have the money, buy a Sony Gold headset. Fits on PSVR too and the PSVR 3D audio is great

Someone before you said the headsets for it needed to be wired. Is there a wired version of that headset or was he incorrect that it needed to be wired?

It's sold out around here. Took a few days, but word of mouth is getting out about how great it is. Doesn't seem like there is much excitement in this area around the Pro. I know a few super hardcore that want it, but most people have been very meh about it. Sony really hasn't done a good job marketing either one to the average consumer.

I agree. I spent a weekend away with 8 mates. Took the PSVR. Everyone was blown away by it and two had ordered it by the time they got home. The others were preparing their partner negotiation stances.

SJRB

Gold Member

I tried the gold headset twice but I was struggling beyond belief on how to get it on, twice I thought I snapped it in half. It was just so cumbersome having the VR set on my head so not being able to see and fumbling with the headset.

Never again. Now I just use in-ear earplugs, audio quality may be a bit lesser than the Gold headset but it's 10 times easier to use.

Wehrwolf

I tried the gold headset twice but I was struggling beyond belief on how to get it on, twice I thought I snapped it in half. It was just so cumbersome having the VR set on my head so not being able to see and fumbling with the headset.

Never again. Now I just use in-ear earplugs, audio quality may be a bit lesser than the Gold headset but it's 10 times easier to use.

Yeah, I'm worried about being able to fit both the audio headset and vr at the same time, but as mentioned before, I can't get earbuds to stay in (same as Steve McQueen actually, the one for my left ear is the one that falls out)

iratA

Anyone else getting excited for 'Robinson The Journey'? 3-5 Hours + Collectables sounds fairly meaty for a VR experience. I'm also considering 'Eagle Flight' as another good SP experience since I learned its also said to have a 3-5 hour campaign with collectables.

Moreche

I don't even disconnect the headset, I just tuck the cable under my TV and close the box with the headset inside and cable coming out the corner.

Moreche

System settings
Display settings
RGB

Set it to FULL

Automatic doesn't detect displays properly for some. I have mine hooked up to a monitor and had it set to Full before but the latest system update for HDR reverted it to automatic.
This shouldn't make a difference.
The PSVR display should produce the image that's calibrated at the factory. I really don't think that settles the PS4 to full or limited makes a difference.

KORNdoggy

Someone before you said the headsets for it needed to be wired. Is there a wired version of that headset or was he incorrect that it needed to be wired?

the gold headset can be used both wired and wireless. you just need to use the included 3.5 to 3.5 wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom