• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
I initially was using my Sony gold headsets but I found that moving my head around (as you do I'm vr) made them slip around and I would end up worrying about them falling down/off too much that I ended up just using the ear buds that came with the psvr.

Annoying really as i want to use the golds, tried adjusting them but couldn't get them to stay firmly in place.

Having had a Vive for a while the screen door effect on the PSVR is terrible. I also could nit believe how bad the Luge game looked. I had A LOT of drift when until I realized my fan was on directly above me. Turned it off and the majority of drift stopped. Didn't even occur to me that it could happen.

On the upside, Barman is pretty great.

Orbis

Guys, i cant play Driveclub VR for more than 5 minutes without getting sick.. and now im still feeling nausea hours (6 hours to be precise) after i put it down..

help
I felt very weird 24hrs after my first day of PSVR. Weirdly I felt nothing at the time but it started a few hours later for me and was still feeling it the next day. Anyway I left it for another day and I felt fine, so I used the VR again and no after effects at all this time.

So based on that I would say, wait for the nausea to subside then try again. Perhaps not Driveclub, or perhaps try driving with a different view.

Krejlooc

Banned
A few people have said ginger helps, maybe try a ginger ale.

Ginger helps to alleviate the effects of VR sickness after you already have it, but does nothing to prevent the effects. If Drive Club is making you sick, sorry, the game just isn't for you. Don't try to force yourself into "getting used to it," and ginger isn't going to make you suddenly able to stand it.

Got the platinum for Playroom VR last night. What a really fun little game. Sony really need to expand on some of the games in that (especially the platformer, as we've been over before).

Having my girlfriend over for the last 4 days was fun playing co-op VR. Taking it in turns every 10 minutes or so. Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes was espcially fun for this (though we got pissed off with it when it got to the stage of having 4 needy knobs >_>)

Still really loving VR!

Anyone else looking forward to Tethered this week? :)

Need to work on my Plat but I agree it's a great variety on offer as was the original Playroom too. Just that wasn't worth the entry fee of a camera at the time tbh.

Yep will be grabbing Tethered when it comes out, looks great.

KORNdoggy

Having had a Vive for a while the screen door effect on the PSVR is terrible. I also could nit believe how bad the Luge game looked. I had A LOT of drift when until I realized my fan was on directly above me. Turned it off and the majority of drift stopped. Didn't even occur to me that it could happen.

there is less of a screen door effect. what the hell are you on about? lol

Spman2099

what the hell are you on about? lol

He's talking about Barman and how great it is. Keep up!

Ginger helps to alleviate the effects of VR sickness after you already have it, but does nothing to prevent the effects. If Drive Club is making you sick, sorry, the game just isn't for you. Don't try to force yourself into "getting used to it," and ginger isn't going to make you suddenly able to stand it.

You have to inject that ginger into your veins.

Orbis

So currently I haven't bought a single game for this thing because the demos have spoilt me for choice. I have really enjoyed cockpit based stuff and also anything that uses 2 move controllers.

How is the full version of job simulator? I had a lot of fun in the brief demo of that. Are there lots of scenarios and can you just mess around with shit if you like?

I've heard Rigs is a lot better in the full version, I'd definitely consider that.

Will probably buy one or two games this month and work from there.

Anyone else getting excited for 'Robinson The Journey'? 3-5 Hours + Collectables sounds fairly meaty for a VR experience. I'm also considering 'Eagle Flight' as another good SP experience since I learned its also said to have a 3-5 hour campaign with collectables.

Friend of mine played Eagle Flight ( Steam ) and wasn't all that great. I'm more excited for Robinson considering the skills of Crytek.

Tbh I still have to open Battlefield 1, did not continue with Gears 4 and Mario Color Splash . All I can think of is playing games in VR, getting in my Battlezone tank, jump in my mech, be the Batman, shoot some clowns etc.

I don't know about you guys, but PSVR excited me more than the release of PS4 and XboxOne. For me, this finally feels like something fresh.

M_A_C

Vive has less SDE? or do you just mean the resolution? Bartman?

KORNdoggy

I don't know about you guys, but PSVR excited me more than the release of PS4 and XboxOne. For me, this finally feels like something fresh.

this is definitely true for me. as much as i've loved a lot of games this gen, and will undoubtedly love a lot of games to come too, they're all very much the same sort of thing we were playing last gen...and the gen before...they just happen to look better

VR feels like something worth getting excited for, and makes me feel that same sense of wonder and excitement that i had as a kid playing PSone for the first time. or the megadrive or NES.

Vive has less SDE? or do you just mean the resolution? Bartman?

i don't think he understands what the SDE is. lol

Okada

I've had a Vive since launch and I'd say that it has a worse SDE than the PSVR. Are you sure it's SDE and not just low resolution/lack of super sampling on some games?

I've not tried Barman out yet though so can't comment on that.

Garuda1One

How many times have you played it? Try sitting still and just looking forward or maybe the different Camera angles?

Driveclub is just a bad VR port. I heard it helps to change your settings where you sit. You shouldnt see your cockpit I heard.

I felt very weird 24hrs after my first day of PSVR. Weirdly I felt nothing at the time but it started a few hours later for me and was still feeling it the next day. Anyway I left it for another day and I felt fine, so I used the VR again and no after effects at all this time.

So based on that I would say, wait for the nausea to subside then try again. Perhaps not Driveclub, or perhaps try driving with a different view.

yea im going to avoid Driveclub for the moment and Battlezone. Somehow im fine with Eve although feeling a little bit of motion sickness on the first run (had a big breakfast before playing Eve for the first time, which i think its not a good idea) but now im fine with it. But yea, perhaps not Driveclub.

Dem feels, I can recall. Played on launch day before I went to sleep. Awful night sleep. I somewhere read adjusting your ride height helps.

A few people have said ginger helps, maybe try a ginger ale.

i can confirm sleeping doesnt help, will try ginger ale when i have the motivation to get out of the bed.. LOL

Is the Job Simulator tracking as bad in the real games as it is in the Demo? I really want to play it but it's almost unplayable in the demo. PSVR is making me want to go buy a Vive lol.
It's not bad, but it's probably the worst tracking I've played. Until Dawn is better and Pixel Gear is uncanny good.

Any recommendations for headphones/headset pretty much exclusively for use with PSVR for 3d audio? Don't need anything super top of the line, as I doubt I'd notice (I don't tend to have the audio that loud)

The earbud style ones (not just Sony, any of them) don't stay in my ears.

For headsets/headphones, I wasn't sure if they'd get in the way of the VR headset.
I use the Gold's just fine.

This shouldn't make a difference.
The PSVR display should produce the image that's calibrated at the factory. I really don't think that settles the PS4 to full or limited makes a difference.
Depends on what you are hooked to. PS4 doesn't recognize my monitor as full RGB but it is. So I have to set it to Full manually. Launching Until Dawn, instead of being greeted with a washed out dark gray screen in the HMD it's now a dark charcoal. It affects the headset.

Don't forget the PS4 sends the signal to the PU. The PU does not split full/limited between sources. What is sent from your PS4 is sent to the headset. The PS4 handles RGB settings, not the PU.

It most definitely does, for pass-through. :)
And the HMD, read above. Flip between limited and full and see for yourself.

Don't let the OS or cinema screen fool you, you'll notice it in games where all pixels are on. The HMD supports Full RGB but if the handshake isn't working properly with your TV or monitor, the PSVR will reflect that - Don't forget the PU simply takes the PSVR image and warps it for the social screen. The PU does not switch between full/limited for the HMD and TV - that is handled by the PS4.

Limited/full makes a difference. Everyone I've told to check their settings has confirmed when they've complained about it. The most recent OS update (I'm guessing) changed RGB to auto, presumably for the HDR update. Some instances like my monitor need to be set manually since "auto" forces limited.

I've done it. My friends have done it. We know the PU only sends an image. We know RGB setting is PS4 side. We know the HMD supports full. Saying it only affects the passthrough is ridiculous when its already known that's not the case.

Mendrox

Germany here...does anyone know where I can get Playstation Move? It's sold out everywhere. Other people sell two for 120 Euros+ WTF

Cannot play Job Simulator or Batman without them. :(

broony

Germany here...does anyone know where I can get Playstation Move? It's sold out everywhere. Other people sell two for 120 Euros+ WTF

Same in uk. Kicking myself for not picking some up before launch.

winstonia

Neo Member
Not sure if posted already but this has pissed me off. IF anyone lives in the UK, I suggest never buying anything from Game again. Maybe they are about to go broke

Thinking about purchasing #PSVR ? Come and try it in store today! £5 for 10 minutes or £15 for 30 minutes!

CvW6FQbWAAAqMQC.jpg

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-10-24-game-charges-people-to-try-playstation-vr

rafaelr

my local mediamarkt (austria) didn´t have any *new* move bundles either, but had plenty of the old ps3 move starter packs (1 move controller, ps3 eye, ps3 move sports game). since i needed the moves as a bday present, i just bought 2 of those packs (cost 5€ more than the new bundle though).

iratA

Friend of mine played Eagle Flight ( Steam ) and wasn't all that great. I'm more excited for Robinson considering the skills of Crytek.

Tbh I still have to open Battlefield 1, did not continue with Gears 4 and Mario Color Splash . All I can think of is playing games in VR, getting in my Battlezone tank, jump in my mech, be the Batman, shoot some clowns etc.

Yep Robinson devs have some serious experience dealing with high tech game engines, can't wait for it.

Also in regards to your mention of how fresh VR feels, I couldn't agree more. As someone who has been gaming over multiple generations, everything kind of just feels 'samey'. VR really is the most amazing shift this industry has had in a very long time.

The tech is solid, the experiences although sometimes short, are quite literally mind blowing. The masses aren't quite here yet, but as word gets out about how amazing VR is, I think we will see a pretty fast adoption rate. This is not a 'kinect' or 'PS move' situation this stuff is very immersive!

AlexIIDX

Was having some family members try out psvr last night. Each one of them was blown away. It's so much fun watching people try it for the first time.

Disktrasa

Banned
I don't know how to do actually, bought it last sunday, i have 30days to try it out and if i leave it back before those 30 days are gone i get all the money back.

I love it and think its awesome, but i don't think i will use it that much, love regular gaming very much and don't have so much sparetime, job, kids etc.

And then its when its time to play, its easy to setup but still there is a lot of cables and stuff to deal with everytime its time to play.

It makes the eyes and sometimes the head pretty tired, i love what i have tried so far, just don't know if its worth keeping, its a lot of money to.

Hm, hard decision =/

Who am i kidding?

Just after i wrote this i fired up thumper and som Batman VR and then some Rush Of Blood, everytime i take this shit on my head i am like; O M F G!

Just cant get rid of this, no way.

DavidDesu

Seriously, we need more games with the look and polish of Superhypercube. Even when the game opens into the title screen it's fucking special in VR. Everything else is terrible by comparison lol. I feel there's a lack of creativity in general with the uses of VR we've seen so far, especially with regards to menu screens etc. SHC is just stunning. Will buy the full game when it's cheap, way too much for a ONE mode game (even the demo had me struggling lol).

Give me cool Tron games, give me more Dangerball with online multiplayer, give me cool as fuck experiences like these developers!

Moreche

Seriously, we need more games with the look and polish of invite the game opens into the titles screen it's fucking special in VR. Everything else is terrible by comparison lol. I feel there's a lack of creativity in general with the uses of VR we've seen so far, especially with regards to menu screens etc. SHC is just stunning. Will buy the full game when it's cheap, way too much for a ONE mode game (even the demo had me struggling lol).

Give me cool Tron games, give me more Dangerball with online multiplayer, give me cool as fuck experiences like these developers!
I am in your exact same position. It's expensive and I've other responsibilities but every time I try it, I'm just absolutely floored.
I want every game to have a VR mode similar to Thumper at least now.
I just really hope Sony can continue its momentum with software.

Who am i kidding?

Just after i wrote this i fired up thumper and som Batman VR and then some Rush Of Blood, everytime i take this shit on my head i am like; O M F G!

Just cant get rid of this, no way.

The 2 minutes to setup is nothing in terms of the immersion it brings to games, I honestly haven't played another game since it's launch, they just seem dull and flat. it's far from perfect, some resolutions are offensive, but it shows the potential and it's worth every penny.

WITHE1982

Not sure if posted already but this has pissed me off. IF anyone lives in the UK, I suggest never buying anything from Game again. Maybe they are about to go broke

CvW6FQbWAAAqMQC.jpg

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-10-24-game-charges-people-to-try-playstation-vr

WTF? That is a serious piss take from GAME. I've yet to try PSVR and would love a chance to have a go before I grab one in the new year but that's just ridiculous.

I'm shaking my head and tutting right now in disgust.

For shame GAME UK.

WTF? That is a serious piss take from GAME. I've yet to try PSVR and would love a chance to have a go before I grab one in the new year but that's just ridiculous.

For shame GAME UK.

This wouldn't be such a bad thing (considering the cost of keeping up hygiene and possible breakages) IF they then gave you that money as a discount on a pre-order, but they don't.

mr lurtle

After 1,5 weeks the drifting is really starting to piss me off. At first I didn't notice it to much, because I was switching games every ~30 minutes.
Now that I was trying to play longer sessions in RIGS, DriveClub or Until Dawn it gets really annoying. Recentering in RIGS via the options button actually makes it worse.
I really hope Sony finds a fix.

mrobbo

Neo Member

For shame GAME UK.
I really can't understand the outrage over this. It costs GAME to buy the hardware and software and to provide staff to monitor it and clean it. Not to mention the space it'll take up in the stores. Then there's every chance after a customer tries it they'll go elsewhere to buy it cheaper.

If i was on the fence about this then $10 is a small price to pay for piece of mind.

Revo_zero

I really can't understand the outrage over this. It costs GAME to buy the hardware and software and to provide staff to monitor it and clean it. Not to mention the space it'll take up in the stores. Then there's every chance after a customer tries it they'll go elsewhere to buy it cheaper.

If i was on the fence about this then $10 is a small price to pay for piece of mind.

i wonder how publishers or SCEE feels about it? genuine question

Same in uk. Kicking myself for not picking some up before launch.

I stuck a post on Facebook this weekend asking if anyone had any PS Move controllers for sale and sure enough someone got back to me who had some gathering dust with their kids PS3. £20 for them both so I was really happy with that. Try looking on eBay at PS3 console sales and see if anyone has any move controllers in the bundle and make them an offer for just the controller.

Did anyone play tethered?
I played a demo a couple of months ago.

To be honest, it's not my kind of game. But it was charming, involving, compelling... and presented in a 3D world you wish you could climb into.

If you're a fan of the genre I think you'll love it.

i wonder how publishers or SCEE feels about it? genuine question

Sony are apparently fine with it as long as any money taken can be used against the purchase of a PSVR (which it can)

WITHE1982

This wouldn't be such a bad thing (considering the cost of keeping up hygiene and possible breakages) IF they then gave you that money as a discount on a pre-order, but they don't.

I appreciate they have to pay a staff member to monitor the hardware, plus install the unit and also cover any breakages but the headset has been demoed around the world in hundreds of places without the scummy practice of charging people for it.

IMO a better idea would be to offer a free 10 minute demo and then maybe £5 after that if you'd like to extend it. Also make sure an adult is present for anyone under 18.

Not sure why I'm surprised at anything GAME UK does anymore.

mrobbo

Neo Member
I appreciate they have to pay a staff member to monitor the hardware, plus install the unit and also cover any breakages but the headset has been demoed around the world in hundreds of places without the scummy practice of charging people for it.

IMO a better idea would be to offer a free 10 minute demo and then maybe £5 after that if you'd like to extend it. Also make sure an adult is present for anyone under 18.

Not sure why I'm surprised at anything GAME UK does anymore.

I think charging is also a good way of stopping every person that walks past the store from killing time with a free game. Can only imagine working in the store after school finishes and seeing every kid and ten of his mates running in wanting to try it out. Nightmare.

WITHE1982

I think charging is also a good way of stopping every person that walks past the store from killing time with a free game. Can only imagine working in the store after school finishes and seeing every kid and ten of his mates running in wanting to try it out. Nightmare.

Oh I understand that. That's why I said that anyone under the age of 18 would have to have an adult present.

Either way though I just cannot condone anyone charging people for a 10 minute hardware demo. What makes matters worse is that Sony have agreed to it.

Anyway... back on topic my wife has offered to order me a PSVR for Christmas so I'm now a very happy bunny.

Try pushing the strap around the back of your head up -- it pushes the headset down a bit and usually fixes the light bleed at the bottom for me.

Sangetsu-II approves this message +1

Once you have great focus, slightly lift the head strap up and no more light bleed on the bottom.

What are you guys using for storage options when it's not in use?

I'm using the sleek box it came with, great storage and the foam padding prevent dust from getting in.

Mula

Anything about Pro enhancements so far. Is It possible to make the games cleaner, or is this the Maximum with this Resolution ?

Anything about Pro enhancements so far. Is It possible to make the games cleaner, or is this the Maximum with this Resolution ?
Games can definitely look better. As for which games will support it - it's unknown besides Farpoint, which is said to double pixel real-estate.

You'll notice some games have great IQ and some look like mud right now. I personally care less about effects in VR and more about IQ so I'm hoping devs opt for clarity.

Edit:
https://m.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/590ek5/a_list_of_psvr_games_with_pro_upgrade_confirmed/

Games can definitely look better. As for which games will support it - it's unknown besides Farpoint, which is said to double pixel real-estate.

You'll notice some games have great IQ and some look like mud right now. I personally care less about effects in VR and more about IQ so I'm hoping devs opt for clarity.

Edit:
https://m.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/590ek5/a_list_of_psvr_games_with_pro_upgrade_confirmed/

PlayStation VR Worlds already received its Pro patch. No idea what it does though.

PBY

Banned
I mean... The goal is to sell these right?

That's the point of a demo station.

Carl

Did anyone play tethered?

Enjoyed the demo at EGX last month. Probably my favourite thing i played (and i played Horizon). Really not a fan of this type of game but i still loved it. My girlfriend loved it too. Really charming and fun gameplay too. I would recommend it :)

Yep Robinson devs have some serious experience dealing with high tech game engines, can't wait for it.

Also in regards to your mention of how fresh VR feels, I couldn't agree more. As someone who has been gaming over multiple generations, everything kind of just feels 'samey'. VR really is the most amazing shift this industry has had in a very long time.

The tech is solid, the experiences although sometimes short, are quite literally mind blowing. The masses aren't quite here yet, but as word gets out about how amazing VR is, I think we will see a pretty fast adoption rate. This is not a 'kinect' or 'PS move' situation this stuff is very immersive!

Also been gaming from '77-'78 and it is very hard to get excited about specs and graphics. Recent gen consoles ( including even Nintendo WiiU, and as an older gamer I feel very connected to Nintendo ) did not wow me the way they used to. Been thinking about that, guessed it was my age ( I'm 46 ), but as I said before, PSVR makes me feel like opening and playing that new console on Xmas a looooong time ago. Been a while since I feel so excited again and it sure feels good.

Seriously, we need more games with the look and polish of Superhypercube. Even when the game opens into the title screen it's fucking special in VR. Everything else is terrible by comparison lol. I feel there's a lack of creativity in general with the uses of VR we've seen so far, especially with regards to menu screens etc. SHC is just stunning. Will buy the full game when it's cheap, way too much for a ONE mode game (even the demo had me struggling lol).

Couldn't agree more. I bought a shitload of PSVR games but this interface in PSVR is just amazing . Although I don't own this game ( for the same reason ), I'm dumbstruck with how good it looks, everytime I start the demo. Maybe I should just support Phil and friends and buy this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom