• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

winstonia

Neo Member
I think charging is also a good way of stopping every person that walks past the store from killing time with a free game. Can only imagine working in the store after school finishes and seeing every kid and ten of his mates running in wanting to try it out. Nightmare.

Huh?

What else should you be doing if working in a games shop

gmoran

After 1,5 weeks the drifting is really starting to piss me off. At first I didn't notice it to much, because I was switching games every ~30 minutes.
Now that I was trying to play longer sessions in RIGS, DriveClub or Until Dawn it gets really annoying. Recentering in RIGS via the options button actually makes it worse.
I really hope Sony finds a fix.

How close are you to the camera? If you are sitting down then get as close as you can, 4 feet should be fine. Make sure you shut down the PS4 completely and then calibrate. Then see how it goes.

ugh, what the hell!

how do I know if they're dead? I have them charging, press the PS button, and only a red light blinks...

I tried to plug my Move Controllers into a USB Hub, nothing happened and no lights blinked. They lights should blink when the Move controllers are charging. I thought they were dead.

Then I saw someone say on here they had the same problem, but when they plugged them into their computer, they charged. So I tried that, and they both charged perfectly. They actually charged pretty quick too! The lights will blink while charging, then go off when they are done!

Anyone else getting excited for 'Robinson The Journey'? 3-5 Hours + Collectables sounds fairly meaty for a VR experience. I'm also considering 'Eagle Flight' as another good SP experience since I learned its also said to have a 3-5 hour campaign with collectables.

Totally excited for Robinson The Journey. Already preordered that. I checked out some gameplay of Eagle Flight, and it didn't look really fun to me. I dont know, didn't click with me. It was a Multiplayer gameplay video. How does the single player story work? Is it just flying around collecting stuff? I was just wondering how the single player gameplay loop works!

Mula

Games can definitely look better. As for which games will support it - it's unknown besides Farpoint, which is said to double pixel real-estate.

You'll notice some games have great IQ and some look like mud right now. I personally care less about effects in VR and more about IQ so I'm hoping devs opt for clarity.

Edit:
https://m.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/590ek5/a_list_of_psvr_games_with_pro_upgrade_confirmed/

Thx.
Yes bad IQ can brake the immersion. I hope devs put this on the first place.

Grinchy

Banned
The one thing about the tracking that worries me is that I am skeptical that it's fixable. Sony has had the Move controller and PS4 camera technology for a long, long time. They've been developing PSVR for years.

I have serious doubts that their engineering team spent years just not noticing the tracking issues. It's not like, now that it's out, they're saying, "Oh yeah! I was able to replicate this issue on my end and can now develop a fix!" I'd think that tracking the positions of the headset and controllers would be a pretty top priority since Phase 1 of development.

I hope I'm wrong about this because I'd love to see improvements. But with all the careful planning that obviously went into crafting the headset, there's no way they just forgot to add in the Tracking 2.0 update before launching.

Z3M0G

I tried to plug my Move Controllers into a USB Hub, nothing happened and no lights blinked. They lights should blink when the Move controllers are charging. I thought they were dead.

Then I saw someone say on here they had the same problem, but when they plugged them into their computer, they charged. So I tried that, and they both charged perfectly. They actually charged pretty quick too! The lights will blink while charging, then go off when they are done!

Not all USB extension cables, hubs, etc pass power through the connection. Some only pass data.

Edit: I realize what I just said may not be true or make sense, because most USB devices need some power to operate, like a mouse, etc... but maybe it is about the amount of power they can pass through.

mr lurtle

How close are you to the camera? If you are sitting down then get as close as you can, 4 feet should be fine. Make sure you shut down the PS4 completely and then calibrate. Then see how it goes.

I tried between 5 - 6,5 feet and camera above and beneath my TV. I thought the drift issue is independent from the camera? The tracking of the controllers and the headset is mostly fine. I will try if changes anything when I move closer tonight.
I shut the PS4 down completely all the time and recalibrate after every change and I feel it works better for a while after the reboot but gets noticable worse after about an hour.
Thanks!

Grinchy

Banned
I tried between 5 - 6,5 feet and camera above and beneath my TV. I thought the drift issue is independent from the camera? The tracking of the controllers and the headset is mostly fine. I will try if changes anything when I move closer tonight.
I shut the PS4 down completely all the time and recalibrate after every change and I feel it works better for a while after the reboot but gets noticable worse after about an hour.
Thanks!

I've just found that some games require the camera to be close as hell. RIGS, for example, I have to put the camera on a box on my coffee table so that it's like a little over 3 feet away. When I do that, everything is rock solid. If I have it any further, I get the headset wobble whenever I move my head to the side or forward.

flozuki

Germany here...does anyone know where I can get Playstation Move? It's sold out everywhere. Other people sell two for 120 Euros+ WTF

Cannot play Job Simulator or Batman without them. :(

Saturn is selling old move bundles. If there isn´t one near you just write me a pm and I can get them for you (as long as they still have some)^^

mr lurtle

I've just found that some games require the camera to be close as hell. RIGS, for example, I have to put the camera on a box on my coffee table so that it's like a little over 3 feet away. When I do that, everything is rock solid. If I have it any further, I get the headset wobble whenever I move my head to the side or forward.

Now that you mention it, I noticed the wobble a lot in RIGS while sitting in the plane. Is the angle of the camera lens even wide enough to track the headset and the controller if it's that close?

Mendrox

Saturn is selling old move bundles. If there isn´t one near you just write me a pm and I can get them for you (as long as they still have some)^^

I've got Saturn Hamburg here (biggest one in Germany) so I will check it out later. I hope they still have old bundles... :3

Thank you!

Mokubba

All I do is play RIGS. I seriously love this game.

I was tense during my Finals match for the Team Takedown.
We were down about 8 points but pulled it level after I went on a streak but we still lost in the end. My AI partner who gets man of the match every other match decided to have an off day. I was so mad but i won the league and now I'm in the top league.

I've not had this much fun since the Driveclub and Rocket League. Some of the matches with 3 star AI's are brutal though, as if they have more fire power.

Grinchy

Banned
Now that you mention it, I noticed the wobble a lot in RIGS while sitting in the plane. Is the angle of the camera lens even wide enough to track the headset and the controller if it's that close?

The plane is one of the best places to test the wobble, so I know exactly what you're talking about. I also use the rails at the headquarters that have R1 and L1 on them.

And yeah it's definitely wide enough. It can see both sides of my couch which is way more space than I'd ever need for the headset to track. The game doesn't track the controller at all either, but it is still in frame anyway.

De_Marco

Currently I use the sony pulse elites. Remember that whatever you get must function as regular unpowered wired headphones. USB or Bluetooth headphones will not work.

Since you also use the Pulse Elites: I found out, that when they are plugged in the VR headset, they work without actually turning them on. But if I turn them on and use the "Bass" effect, I am not sure if that disables the 3D Audio. At least my ears think the effect is somewhat lesser.

We were down about 8 points but pulled it level after I went on a streak but we still lost in the end. My AI partner who gets man of the match every other match decided to have an off day. I was so mad but i won the league and now I'm in the top league.

I've not had this much fun since the Driveclub and Rocket League. Some of the matches with 3 star AI's are brutal though, as if they have more fire power.

I only played 3 hours so far but this sounds like me in a few days. Amazing game.

Reclaimer

Wobble gone!

Moved camera to above TV. Sitting about three feet away. Very solid headset tracking now.

A couple games still have issues no matter what I do, but that seems to be a software problem.

ymgve

Wobble gone!

Moved camera to above TV. Sitting about three feet away. Very solid headset tracking now.

A couple games still have issues no matter what I do, but that seems to be a software problem.

What do you do about games like Batman that require you to be like 8 feet away?

KORNdoggy

Which stand is everyone getting/gotten? Need impressions

playstation-vr-accessories5.jpg

i think i'm holding out for this. seems to pretty much cover everything i'd ever want or need to charge too.

So do we know if some games are being rendered at sub-native resolution on PSVR? Some games look very pixelated while others look crisp, comparatively. It sort of reminds me of the Vita where I am very sensitive to games that run below native res, to the point where it will usually turn me off from buying games that do it.

Also, I'm pretty excited for the upcoming Trackmania VR patch. I haven't been able to buy any PSVR games yet due to having to spend $500 on the unit itself, so I can't wait to play something that's not a demo.

The one thing about the tracking that worries me is that I am skeptical that it's fixable. Sony has had the Move controller and PS4 camera technology for a long, long time. They've been developing PSVR for years.

I have serious doubts that their engineering team spent years just not noticing the tracking issues. It's not like, now that it's out, they're saying, "Oh yeah! I was able to replicate this issue on my end and can now develop a fix!" I'd think that tracking the positions of the headset and controllers would be a pretty top priority since Phase 1 of development.

I hope I'm wrong about this because I'd love to see improvements. But with all the careful planning that obviously went into crafting the headset, there's no way they just forgot to add in the Tracking 2.0 update before launching.
Catching the bug, since not everyone has it, requires a large sample size that I'm sure Sony didn't have. You'd need thousands upon thousands of people testing it.

I've had the issues and they are gone now after calibrating everything in the system OS and testing camera and play space setups.

I ran tests to see if drift or any funkiness would occur by placing the headset on a stationary object, booting a game and recording both the output and the play space for lengths of time. I did this at varying distances, with and without controllers in the image, etc. I quickly scrubbed footage looking for wobble or drift - nothing. And this is coming from the same equipment that did experience drift and wobble/pulsing/swimming before calibrating the headset. I posted comparison pics yesterday in the thread of some video captures of the beginning of a recording and the end and you'll see nothing moved.

Sony should make every calibration step mandatory on first use.

So it's quite possible that some units may be defective - I'm banking on gyros. But when properly setup with no hardware issues, it works.

My only beef is with Move/controller tracking. I don't know what some games are doing over others but a game like Pixel Gear is STUPIDLY precise with move but Until Dawn and Job Sim, while they work, are a bit jittery.

I think tracking can still be improved with current hardware but people are either missing the calibrating and testing their play spaces or have faulty hardware. I went from drift/wobble to rock solid 100% of the time for any duration after calibrating and testing camera/space positions.

KORNdoggy

Do we know if some games are being rendered at sub-native resolution on PSVR? Some games look very pixelated while others look crisp, comparatively. It sort of reminds me of the Vita where I am very sensitive to games that run below native res, to the point where it will usually turn me off from buying games that do it.

something is definitely going on with the kitchen demo that leads me to believe some are running sub native. i mean, compare rigs to the kitchen demo and it's hilarious how bad the kitchen demo looks.

either that or it's the AA solution causing it. maybe the kitchen demo just doesn't have any?

So do we know if some games are being rendered at sub-native resolution on PSVR? Some games look very pixelated while others look crisp, comparatively. It sort of reminds me of the Vita where I am very sensitive to games that run below native res, to the point where it will usually turn me off from buying games that do it.

Also, I'm pretty excited for the upcoming Trackmania VR patch. I haven't been able to buy any PSVR games yet due to having to spend $500 on the unit itself, so I can't wait to play something that's not a demo.

Rigs seems to only be native for what you are directly looking at. It's reducing rendering res off to the sides.

I've noticed the best place to test for wobble is the UFO catcher in Playroom VR. After moving my setup so i'm closer to 5' from the camera, I have much less wobble. However, sometimes when I sit back in my seat and move forward to inspect something, my view is also moving slightly to the left or right, as if I was strafing while moving forward. It's very noticeable in the UFO catcher and slightly disorienting. It seems recentering fixes it, but it will soon revert back to being wonky again.

The one thing I have not been able to fix is the OS jumping and skipping around. If I pan my head from left to right, the cinema screen while just sitting in the OS jumps and skips. A restart or power cycle fixes the problem but it returns quite quickly.

Has anyone played Until Dawn (the original,not Rush of Blood) on PSVR? Impressions?

Yes, I just played it last month. It's amazing.

A very different type of game, and best played with others (locally). The graphics are out of this world and the story is a lot of fun.

Glix

I've noticed the best place to test for wobble is the UFO catcher in Playroom VR. After moving my setup so i'm closer to 5' from the camera, I have much less wobble. However, sometimes when I sit back in my seat and move forward to inspect something, my view is also moving slightly to the left or right, as if I was strafing while moving forward. It's very noticeable in the UFO catcher and slightly disorienting. It seems recentering fixes it, but it will soon revert back to being wonky again.

The one thing I have not been able to fix is the OS jumping and skipping around. If I pan my head from left to right, the cinema screen while just sitting in the OS jumps and skips. A restart or power cycle fixes the problem but it returns quite quickly.

My buddy was having an issue like the bottom one. It seemed that the way he was wearing his headset, the visor was at an angle, that along with the camera angle made it hard for the camera to see the bottom lights on the headset. When we adjusted so that the front of the headset was more at a 90 degree angle to the ground, it helped a lot.

Moreche

Wobble gone!

I find above the TV the best if you sit on a chair or stand.
Personally I think it picks up the top lights on the unit better than if the camera is below the TV.

Soi-Fong

Yeah this... The 3-star AI's are just crazy. I played against Knockout type Rigs and I don't know what they were using, but it looked like they were putting out pulsing rounds or something. That shit was killing me all game.

Ozorov

Talked to a store manager today in Sweden and they have NO idea when they will starting to receive the Twin Pack-Move controllers. How can these things be so out-of-stock?

Z3M0G

Where does the camera cable plug into the PS4, and how long is it? This sounds like the smartest thing to do with the camera. Allows you to sit where you like.

Edit: Back of the PS4. should be slack enough to move it forward quite a bit.

hqdefault.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom