• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

Sooooo, I tested out the old camera and way less jitter and no drift. I also sat closer. For some reason the game still centers slightly to the left but it wasn't as drastic. Might need to continue repositioning until I get it completely centered. Not really sure what's causing it.

Are we sure that isn't just because the pixels are denser in the center of the headset?

I am sure, yes. Look at text head on and then move it into your peripheral vision. There appear to be two steps of pixelation (not lens distortion).

Compare the text in the middle with the text on the bottom.
rigsmechanizedcombatlurjt7.png

Can also be clearly seen in the cockpit.
rigsmechanizedcombatliqjpl.png

Also the gun on the left slightly poking into the "hi-res zone"

Sooooo, I tested out the old camera and way less jitter and no drift. I also sat closer. For some reason the game still centers slightly to the left but it wasn't as drastic. Might need to continue repositioning until I get it completely centered. Not really sure what's causing it.

Well, you changed two factors there (old camera, sitting closer) so hard to tell if one or both of them made the difference.

ckohler

I'd be more inclined to be believe sitting closer would reducing gittering (controller, I assume?). I see the same thing even with the new camera.

I've also tried having the camera at 3.5 feet (looking directly on at the headset while seated) and noticed a reduction in drifting and overall improved headset stability. It also works better at this height for standing games with just turning the camera up a notch without having to move the camera's position.

While I don't have any significant problems using PSVR anymore (my moving the camera around is more me just trying to dial in even better performance) it is frustrating that we feel compelled to. PSVR's tracking works but it doesn't "just work". It requires fidgeting and that's a shame. Maybe the cameras themselves are too low resolution. I'd certainly pay for a better camera that was a simple "set it and forget it".

isucamper1

Neo Member
guys help. i have the demo for job simulator and i really want to buy the game but the tracking issues i'm having are making it impossible. this game forces you to stand 7 feet back from the camera and when i do this the whole world is very jittery and at times will jump which makes me feel ill. move tracking is even worse. i can't get to the coffee machine behind me without really struggling and controlling the computer mouse makes the pointer jump all over the place. i have a large flexible area in my living room for VR and i've tried everything. moving the camera in front or behind the TV. turnign the lights on or off. calibrating everything over and over. making sure there's no mirrors or other light sources in the room. if i get closer to the camera things work better but like i said this game forces you back 7 feet. this is really the only game i'm having major problems with. anyone have any suggestions? if there are people who can play this game without issues i'm starting to wonder if i don't have defective hardware.

robotrock

Banned
guys help. i have the demo for job simulator and i really want to buy the game but the tracking issues i'm having are making it impossible. this game forces you to stand 7 feet back from the camera and when i do this the whole world is very jittery and at times will jump which makes me feel ill. move tracking is even worse. i can't get to the coffee machine behind me without really struggling and controlling the computer mouse makes the pointer jump all over the place. i have a large flexible area in my living room for VR and i've tried everything. moving the camera in front or behind the TV. turnign the lights on or off. calibrating everything over and over. making sure there's no mirrors or other light sources in the room. if i get closer to the camera things work better but like i said this game forces you back 7 feet. this is really the only game i'm having major problems with. anyone have any suggestions? if there are people who can play this game without issues i'm starting to wonder if i don't have defective hardware.

I've got the same issues with Job Simulator. No other games do this for me.

I think it definitely wants me way too far away from the camera. I've just given up and accepted that I can't play it.

ckohler

Job Simulator is by far the most flakey VR demo for PSVR that I've tried. However, I have been able to at least prevent the world from swaying in the headset and moderate move tracking by having the camera at 3.5-4ft off the ground and standing 5 feet from it. Also, be sure to stand where you want to stand BEFORE you start the game. I think it sets your position at that time. If it still doesn't work, then.. yeah... but I did get the demo to work acceptably this way last night using this setup. Not as good as other titles but much better than my initial setup.

Peltz

I've had rock solid tracking since launch, but last night experienced my first bout of wobble issues in REZ Infinite. It's also the first time I was ever playing in a pitch black room (I started the session right before sunset and didn't realize how long I'd been playing).

Turning on a lamp off to the side fixed the issue. It appears that pitch black room, much like a brightly sunlit room, causes tracking issues for me.

Whenever I have the blinds closed with a light on, my headset performs perfectly. It's kind of surprising that a darker room would actually cause issues though.

isucamper1

Neo Member
Job Simulator is by far the most flakey VR demo for PSVR that I've tried. However, I have been able to at least prevent the world from swaying in the headset and moderate move tracking by having the camera at 3.5-4ft off the ground and standing 5 feet from it. Also, be sure to stand where you want to stand BEFORE you start the game. I think it sets your position at that time. If it still doesn't work, then.. yeah... but I did get the demo to work acceptably this way last night using this setup. Not as good as other titles but much better than my initial setup.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm really tall (6'4") so even though the camera is on top of my TV right now, it's still only at stomach level so maybe this is contributing to my problems. Tonight I'll see if I can mount it on a stand or something to be at eye level. This will probably prevent me from playing games while sitting, but at least it will narrow the problem down.

ckohler

I've had rock solid tracking since launch, but last night experienced my first bout of wobble issues. It's also the first time I was ever playing in a pitch black room (I started the session right before sunset and didn't realize how long I'd been playing).

Turning on a lamp off to the side fixed the issue. It appears that pitch black room, much like a brightly sunlit room, causes tracking issues for me.

Whenever I have the blinds closed with a light on, my headset performs perfectly. It's kind of surprising that a darker room would actually cause issues though.

I tend to agree and I've read at least one other person say the same thing. Hypothetically it would make sense since the PlayStation camera, like most digital cameras, may not work as well in low light situations.

Shoeless

I don't know about you guys, but PSVR excited me more than the release of PS4 and XboxOne. For me, this finally feels like something fresh.

I've settled down into a balance. I'm still enjoying PS VR a great deal, but I'm also a huge fan of JRPGs, so with games like World of Final Fantasy, FFXV and Persona coming out, I'm not going to leave traditional TV gaming behind.

What I really, really, REALLY want now is my traditional cockpit fighter game, whether it's a new Colony Wars, X-Wing, Ace Combat game, or something new. The fact that those types of games are always mission based still make them very friendly to shorter play sessions on VR.

I also want to see some other genres come up. Tethered is one I'm looking forward to since that's a god game and we haven't seen that yet, but other "diorama"-based games, such as a Sim City or The Sims style game would also be great. And if the rumors of a new Wipeout remaster coming are true, I hope there's a VR version of that.

Nydus

if anyone in EU is hunting for a nice headset: base.com has the turtle beach stealth 350VR for 51,85£! with shipping to germany it should be around ~60€. Thats 20€ less then any other place i looked :)

normaly i buy stereo headphones but i couldnt be arsed to test if they fit. they have a reddit thread for PSVR headphones but the ones with good fit cost the same or more. Will be my first "gaming headset" in a while. But i like the idea that they are amped :D

LiK

Well, you changed two factors there (old camera, sitting closer) so hard to tell if one or both of them made the difference.

I'd be more inclined to be believe sitting closer would reducing gittering (controller, I assume?). I see the same thing even with the new camera.

I've also tried having the camera at 3.5 feet (looking directly on at the headset while seated) and noticed a reduction in drifting and overall improved headset stability. It also works better at this height for standing games with just turning the camera up a notch without having to move the camera's position.

While I don't have any significant problems using PSVR anymore (my moving the camera around is more me just trying to dial in even better performance) it is frustrating that we feel compelled to. PSVR's tracking works but it doesn't "just work". It requires fidgeting and that's a shame. Maybe the cameras themselves are too low resolution. I'd certainly pay for a better camera that was a simple "set it and forget it".

I really didn't move that much closer. Maybe just a feet max.

I think Sony needs to come up with a better camera. I feel like if they did a Pro version with new tech then a lot of technical issues will go away.

Disktrasa

Banned
Talked to a store manager today in Sweden and they have NO idea when they will starting to receive the Twin Pack-Move controllers. How can these things be so out-of-stock?

Jag drog ett mess till en bekant som jag vet har 2st som han aldrig använder, erbjöd 200:- för båda och han blev skitglad xD

Translation; I got 2 Move very cheap xD

Chris_C

Just spent 10 minutes fooling around in the VR Worlds demo disc title screen, it's one of the most immersive experiences I've had, and it's all because of the frankly astounding positional audio and incredible physics.

Folks have raved about this before, but I kinda dismissed it. This time, I cycled through the various balls, cradled the rock one with the controller and brought it right up to my face. I could hear all the tiny chunks swirling around, and when I gave it a good whack, every single time my brain refused to register the fact that I wasn't going to feel anything. Incredible stuff.

What do you do about games like Batman that require you to be like 8 feet away?

Batman requires you to be about 5.5 or 6 feet away, not 8 feet!

I have the same issues with the JS demo, which is why I haven't bought it. It seems to require you to stand about a foot outside of the camera's reliable tracking range. Batman has you stand about a foot closer and works just fine in contrast.

Just spent 10 minutes fooling around in the VR Worlds demo disc title screen, it's one of the most immersive experiences I've had, and it's all because of the frankly astounding positional audio and incredible physics.

Folks have raved about this before, but I kinda dismissed it. This time, I cycled through the various balls, cradled the rock one with the controller and brought it right up to my face. I could hear all the tiny chunks swirling around, and when I gave it a good whack, every single time my brain refused to register the fact that I wasn't going to feel anything. Incredible stuff.

Batman requires you to be about 5.5 or 6 feet away, not 8 feet!

I have the same issues with the JS demo, which is why I haven't bought it. It seems to require you to stand about a foot outside of the camera's reliable tracking range. Batman has you stand about a foot closer and works just fine in contrast.

I dont get this. My daughters have played the crap out of Job Simulator, and they loved it so much, they pressured me into buying it. We never have any issues with Job Simulator. Tracking works great, and we stand 6 feet from the camera, just like we do for every single game we play in PSVR.

When I start the game, I have them stand where we stand for all our PSVR Games. We have a rug in our room, and we always stand on the edge of the rug. Its perfect cause you can feel where you are in my room since you can feel the edge of the rug on our hard wood floors.

Where we stand is 6feet and 4 inches away from the camera. When we start Job Simulator, it says "Make sure you are standing within the circle" and we always look down and are dead center of that circle and we are 6feet 4 inches away from the camera.

Just really sounds weird that you would feel you have to stand so close to the camera when we play the game over 6feet away and it tracks and plays great. Obviously there are some differences in our setups or something.

ckohler

I dont get this. My daughters have played the crap out of Job Simulator, and they loved it so much, they pressured me into buying it. We never have any issues with Job Simulator. Tracking works great, and we stand 6 feet from the camera, just like we do for every single game we play in PSVR.

When I start the game, I have them stand where we stand for all our PSVR Games. We have a rug in our room, and we always stand on the edge of the rug. Its perfect cause you can feel where you are in my room since you can feel the edge of the rug on our hard wood floors.

Where we stand is 6feet and 4 inches away from the camera. When we start Job Simulator, it says "Make sure you are standing within the circle" and we always look down and are dead center of that circle and we are 6feet 4 inches away from the camera.

Just really sounds weird that you would feel you have to stand so close to the camera when we play the game over 6feet away and it tracks and plays great. Obviously there are some differences in our setups or something.

What is your camera's height from the floor?
What angle is the camera facing (straight ahead, slight upwards, slight downwards)?
Do you own the old or new camera?
What is the lighting like in the room?

SHarris78

I'm gonna get a PS4Pro for the benefits it'll give to some VR games, can anyone give me a link to a decent 2tb HDD (can't afford an SSD/SSHD after forking out for the PSVR/PRO!)

Got to try this at an event near where I live on Saturday.

Tried battle zone which seemed cool but didn't give me that "I'm in another world" feeling I had hoped for

Then I tried eve Valkyrie and looked down, saw my legs and torso, felt light headed for a second then my brain just apparently decided that it was real.

Tried moving my hand and the hand ingame didn't move and I almost fell off the chair I was sitting in.

Lesson is that having a virtual body apparently is enough to trick my brain into taking that as reality, was incredible.

Never felt anything like it before

Ozorov

I'm gonna get a PS4Pro for the benefits it'll give to some VR games, can anyone give me a link to a decent 2tb HDD (can't afford an SSD/SSHD after forking out for the PSVR/PRO!)

I have the same question in another thread so I post it here also so maybe one dude can help us both! :)

I'm thinking about order a Samsung 850-Series EVO 1TB for the Pro. Is there something I need to know before ordering? Anything more I need or is there some better option?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I've just found that some games require the camera to be close as hell. RIGS, for example, I have to put the camera on a box on my coffee table so that it's like a little over 3 feet away. When I do that, everything is rock solid. If I have it any further, I get the headset wobble whenever I move my head to the side or forward.

This for me as well. Despite trying several demos at ~6-7ft with my normal couch position, I started up Playroom VR and it didn't even let me get into the menus without making many adjustments to my room such as pushing the couch closer and adjusting the camera so I fit perfectly inside the silhouette requirements.

That said, I am constantly feeling like the headset and viewing area is always shifting to the left and even when centered I am sort of looking several degrees to the left like my center of vision is pointed at the left hand side of my TV when I take off the goggles. No real jutter, but Ive only put about two hours total into trying various demos since unboxing setup last night.

BaldusCattus

Neo Member
Do the PS4 cameras that come with the PSVR have any kind of gyros in them that can break?

My PSVR worked completely fine without any issues others here have been having up until my friend knocked the camera off the TV onto a hardwood floor.

There's an accelerometer in there so software has a point of reference for camera deflection from the horizontal, so yeah, it may be hosed.

havok75

Phew, just played Batman V.R, man o man that is one incredible experience, my jaw almost hit the floor WOW I can't wait for more games like that.

Kyolux

JS works mostly fine for me and I don't need to stand that further away than any other games. Though it works best if I make some room around me and play it standing.

Though I do get some wobble from time to time as a rare occurence.

How long do you guys expect it will be till we get our first First-Person RPG?

I would love to see Vanishing Realm ported. The 30-40 minutes I spent on it with the Vive were amazing.

Fisty

playstation-vr-accessories5.jpg

i think i'm holding out for this. seems to pretty much cover everything i'd ever want or need to charge too.

That's the one I was looking at too, has all the stuff I need and will save a lot of cord mess, but I've never even heard of Collective Minds. Anyone have impressions of anything else they have done?

Chris_C

I'll give it another whirl tomorrow. Another gaffer stated that the game takes your "starting position" into account.

In my experience though, JS has asked me to stand about 7 feet away, roughly a foot further than Arkham Knight.

Haint

something is definitely going on with the kitchen demo that leads me to believe some are running sub native. i mean, compare rigs to the kitchen demo and it's hilarious how bad the kitchen demo looks.

either that or it's the AA solution causing it. maybe the kitchen demo just doesn't have any?

Kitchen appears to have little to no AA, but is instead super sampling. Rigs is very blurry by comparison, but has aggressive AA (possibly a major contributor to the blur). You should maybe get your eyes checked out or use the headset adjustment test pattern if the only difference you see is aliasing.

kinggroin

Banned
I've noticed the best place to test for wobble is the UFO catcher in Playroom VR. After moving my setup so i'm closer to 5' from the camera, I have much less wobble. However, sometimes when I sit back in my seat and move forward to inspect something, my view is also moving slightly to the left or right, as if I was strafing while moving forward. It's very noticeable in the UFO catcher and slightly disorienting. It seems recentering fixes it, but it will soon revert back to being wonky again.

The one thing I have not been able to fix is the OS jumping and skipping around. If I pan my head from left to right, the cinema screen while just sitting in the OS jumps and skips. A restart or power cycle fixes the problem but it returns quite quickly.

That's because it's dropping under 60fps :)

Make sure you don't have software running in the background or you'll have judder/stutter city even with an app on standby.

And yes, UFO Catcher for whatever reason, has the worst tracking and wobbling of anything on the system.

The short animated story Anemelete or some such, is almost as bad

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Is the Eve demo really only 60s long once you leave the launch?

EGOMON

I have the same question in another thread so I post it here also so maybe one dude can help us both! :)

I'm thinking about order a Samsung 850-Series EVO 1TB for the Pro. Is there something I need to know before ordering? Anything more I need or is there some better option?

There are several thread here on gaf on this topic you can search I even made one you can also Google "best HDD for PS4" plenty of opinions
Personally I opted for 1.5 TB HGST and never looked back capacity, cheap and reliable

Pandacon

That's because it's dropping under 60fps :)

Make sure you don't have software running in the background or you'll have judder/stutter city even with an app on standby.

And yes, UFO Catcher for whatever reason, has the worst tracking and wobbling of anything on the system.

The short animated story Anemelete or some such, is almost as bad

Also doing a cold restart on the PS4 seems to help as well. I usually shut off my ps4 and start it up again before I hop on PSVR.

What angle is the camera facing (straight ahead, slight upwards, slight downwards)?

Hope I can help. Our camera is near exactly 4 feet off the floor, on top of our TV. The camera is the old model and is very slightly facing down. We stand almost exactly 76 inches from the camera, or 6 feet and 4 inches.

My room actually has 2 skylights directly over our playspace. However, we have large mature trees outside that block some of the light, but during the day, the room is decently lit with the lights out. Most of our play time comes in the evenings or at night. We have still had nearly zero tracking or drifting issues whether playing during the day or night time. Only issues we have are the, what appears to be, very typical drifting issues that occur in Cinema Mode.

I'll give it another whirl tomorrow. Another gaffer stated that the game takes your "starting position" into account.

In my experience though, JS has asked me to stand about 7 feet away, roughly a foot further than Arkham Knight.

Yeah, that could be the case. We always stand on that edge of the rug, as I described above, when we start up any VR Game.

Finally had time to play through Batman last night. Probably the most immersive VR experience I've had so far, even though it felt like a glorified demo. Just the menu alone where you are standing on the edge of the building is pretty incredible. It really felt like I could fall over if I wasn't careful.

One question though: Is the text on in game items supposed to be so blurry? I can read text on the startup screens, menus, etc. fairly clearly, but in
the morgue scene for example, I really had to strain my eyes to try and read the writing on those clipboards. Kind of took me out of the experience a little bit. I noticed the same thing with the ID card in Arkham Assylum and other random objects you can hold.
I assume it ultimately comes down to using low resolution assets?

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Issues with Batman :(

Seems that whenever I move my hands in front of my face, too far away from me, or too high, they just disappear, and when they come back into sight I need to shake my Move controller to get it working again.

It wasn't a problem until I got to the morgue and had to open the safe and construct the metal thing, when it literally wouldn't let me grab anything.

Here's a YouTube video. I'm gonna play around with it tonight to see if I can fix it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1l1ilXOAJY

robotrock

Banned
Issues with Batman :(

Seems that whenever I move my hands in front of my face, too far away from me, or too high, they just disappear, and when they come back into sight I need to shake my Move controller to get it working again.

It wasn't a problem until I got to the morgue and had to open the safe and construct the metal thing, when it literally wouldn't let me grab anything.

Here's a YouTube video. I'm gonna play around with it tonight to see if I can fix it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1l1ilXOAJY
Don't move them in front of your face. It's gonna break the headset tracking.

If you lose tracking if they're too high or too to the left/to the right, you need to be further away from the camera so it can see those move controllers at all times.

Serviam

Jag drog ett mess till en bekant som jag vet har 2st som han aldrig använder, erbjöd 200:- för båda och han blev skitglad xD

Translation; I got 2 Move very cheap xD

Kaptenkrok.se has them in their store 1-pack bulk. 389 SEK. Bought the one extra I needed from them. Already had one since PS3 days.

Ogni-XR21

A somewhat dubious honor but this made me feel good.

We are working on a final touch up patch for VEV. I'm just curious if there are any more vibes from anyone who have had the chance to give it a go? :)

One of the first games I tried when I got my headset. Unfortunately it made me feel quite uneasy on my first day in VR. Over the last week I grew some VR legs and decided to try it again yesterday. This time I had no problems playing it. The environments really do give a great senes of scale, I found the blood sample to be the most impressive. But I suck at this game, I have quite a hard time finding enough energy and get killed quite easily. And while I found it a bit frustrating and kind of wished for an easier mode it had a great feeling of danger and suspense that I really enjoyed. I'm sure I'll get a bit better with time.

And I don't know why, but the water sample (iirc) made me constantly feel like I was looking upwards all the time. I was constantly moving my view upwards too...

Spman2099

Try turning the PS4 off (not putting it into rest mode) and trying again. I had the exact same experience, but after reading this suggestion on reddit I tried it and it fixed the insane jitter and inability for the console to track my move controllers. It is definitely worth giving a shot.

Disktrasa

Banned
When i set ps4 in rest mode, why doesent the box to VR Power down.

If i start my ps4 but dont want to play VR why does the Box to the VR start.

I hope you understand What i mean.

Is there some options to fix this?

BaldusCattus

Neo Member

As one of the devs who put that stuff together I really want to say a big thankyou! I just came off a big catch up binge-read of this thread and saw some great impressions back on the 19th and its really awesome to see people having fun with it - we put a lot of love into those big balls =)

If you guys didn't already see, this thread on Reddit covers most of the stuff you can do in the VR Worlds frontend: https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/57c4vq/how_good_is_vr_worlds_menu_screen/

God dammit. I really want the VR..but 699...thats way to much.

And then with the Switch and Pro..I cant afford any of it, so probably just the Switch.

Sigh. Also worried about VR as I haven't had a chance to try it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom