• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fisty

I bought a used move controller and the ball is brown instead of white.
Has anyone observed the same ''problem''?
Can we clean the sphere in some way?

I believe you can remove the ball and clean it, maybe with a qtip and alcohol. Sounds like somebody thought the Move wand vibration was a killer feature :X

OMG I found out there's a game that lets you assume the role of a crew member on the bridge in the Star Trek universe and it's coming to PSVR. Oh please be good.

I dove into VR for this very game. Disappointed that it has been delayed but thrilled that they're taking the time to do it right. Cannot wait.

Samus4145

I use a Hauppauge HD PVR 2, only issue is that it's never seems to spit out video at 59.97, so I have to run them through Handbrake, and then manually sync with my PIP screen. It's a hassle, but it's functional enough.

Weird. Must be a Avermedia issue as it cuts out randomly. I'll try recording through OBS instead next or just pick up an Elgato or say Fuck it and get a Ninja Flame.

Antifaith

Neo Member
So, is the launch bundle never going to be available again? I got a launch bundle and the headset broke in two days :(

Luckily Amazon refunded the money, but the bundle is nowhere to be found, which makes me really sad.

I've asked this before, but I only had one random person reply with it isn't possible... But if the base PS4 can have it's firmware updated to handle HDR, why can't the breakout box?

Chris_C

As one of the devs who put that stuff together I really want to say a big thankyou! I just came off a big catch up binge-read of this thread and saw some great impressions back on the 19th and its really awesome to see people having fun with it - we put a lot of love into those big balls =)

If you guys didn't already see, this thread on Reddit covers most of the stuff you can do in the VR Worlds frontend: https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/57c4vq/how_good_is_vr_worlds_menu_screen/

Thank you for putting so much time, effort and attention to detail into it! I'm not kidding when I say the menu itself sold me on the game.

At least give me a feel of what the game is like. No sooner had I moved around a bit and shot a target the demo was over. Useless.

Yeah. I feel the same way. It was a very mean demo. Took longer to load then to play.

Tried the demo out as well yesterday and it left me feeling the same. I didn't even have time to figure out where my shields an ammo counter were, or get used to the controls or movement.

Do we have any idea which titles released so far will get PS4 Pro patches? I'm really hoping Batman does.

I hope Batman does, just because it'd be great to see, but frankly I'm doubting Rocksteady will be allowed/inclined to sink more resources into what for them is likely to be more of a learning exercise than a revenue stream.

Yes. After playing Batman, it made me realize just how perfectly fine and comfortable it is to teleport in VR. It sounded weird before trying VR but makes perfect sense. Standard locomation without a cockpit is instant barfbag.

Agreed, teleport is perfectly fine, though I wouldn't mind the added option to move around using regular controls. The Assembly does this, and I find that it's much less dizzying to stand and press forward to move than to sit.

So Loading Human has numerous problems. Also the second game to give me a headache, after Drive Club. I don't recommend it.

Could you elaborate? I've been looking at it mainly because of the tracked controllers, but the locomotion system seems obtuse. I might get it at a 50% discount.

Side Note: I have to say I'm quite pleased with the shorter game lengths on VR so far. I know it won't last, but I'd rather play mostly games that are 3-5 hours long and actually finish them than mammoth 30hr Assassin's Creed/Far Cry-esque collectathons. The shorter length keeps you wanting more, and makes 100% in games like Batman more realistic. Going into a game knowing you have a good chance of finishing it also feels good, as opposed to starting something like Mad Max and wondering whether you're ever going to have the time to cross the finish line.

is Batman worth using a $15 off coupon on?

I personally think it was worth the $20 price tag. It's on the high end for its length, but the quality of experience is close to unmatched in the launch line up, in terms of production values. It's polished to a near mirror finish.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Does anyone know if the current PSVR games have announced if their getting PS4Pro enhancements? Or are these games going to largely stay the same?

DjRalford

I've asked this before, but I only had one random person reply with it isn't possible... But if the base PS4 can have it's firmware updated to handle HDR, why can't the breakout box?

It's the SoC used inside it, it can handle a 4k signal, but not at the bandwith required for HDR.

Edit - Actually i think the SoC can handle HDR as it's 10bit capable according to the spec sheet, but the HDMI crosspoint Transceiver isn't, which is even more dumb.

SoC http://www.marvell.com/multimedia-solutions/armada-1500-pro-4k/
Crosspoint http://www.analog.com/en/products/a...play-interfaces/adv7626.html#product-overview

Kyolux

So Loading Human has numerous problems. Also the second game to give me a headache, after Drive Club. I don't recommend it.

In my impressions I posted a day or two ago, i said the same thing about Loading Human. But you do get used to it. I felt quesey everytime you start moving and stop moving. But you do get your legs under you. It has a weird feeling. You have a body with legs and arms, but when you are walking, you dont see them cause you are probably looking forward. So you feel like you are floating through the air. It is a weird feeling and did give me a bit of motion sickness, so I limit my playtime with it. And that is really it for me with motion sickness, Loading Human is about the only one. Driveclub I just use bumper cam and feel like I'm zipping around sitting on the street with my ass.

I play Loading Human basically one "memory"/chapter at a time, or one save at a time, then move on to a new game until the next day or so.

I finished Loading Human last week. It's not something I'd recommend at that price. But on sale, there's a few things I haven't seen done in other games in VR so far.

Kissing Alys and when she gets on top of you for sex time in bed.
Both kind of felt uncanningly real for a second or two. Except for physical feedback of course.

But yeah, story is ok at best and a few things are really a pain to figure out. Also I did get used to movement after my first time playing, but it's definitely one of the worse control schemes. The assembly was way better on this, but that was with a DS4.

It's the SoC used inside it, it can handle a 4k signal, but not at the bandwith required for HDR.

Edit - Actually i think the SoC can handle HDR as it's 10bit capable according to the spec sheet, but the HDMI crosspoint Transceiver isn't, which is even more dumb.

SoC http://www.marvell.com/multimedia-solutions/armada-1500-pro-4k/
Crosspoint http://www.analog.com/en/products/a...play-interfaces/adv7626.html#product-overview

So it's got lesser components than the launch model PS4's?

DjRalford

So it's got lesser components than the launch model PS4's?

The launch PS4 didn't have a HDMI splitter built into it, after looking at the spec sheets it seems odd they would use a 10bit 4k capable SoC, then hamstring it with a lesser HDMI interface, unless of course there was nothing capable of multi display and audio in / out that was 10 bit whilst it was in development.

I guess it doesn't stop them from adding an updated transciever in future that can take the HDR signal.

I seriously would love more Batman episodes. Or just more Batman like experiences. Noire detective games where you explore scenes, talk to people who feel like they're actually there...gawd, this game (and VR experience) is just so good. I honestly don't care about Batman property/IP at all and yet I want more of exactly this.

DjRalford

I seriously would love more Batman episodes. Or just more Batman like experiences. Noire detective games where you explore scenes, talk to people who feel like they're actually there...gawd, this game (and VR experience) is just so good. I honestly don't care about Batman property/IP at all and yet I want more of exactly this.

It's extremely well put together, only thing i would like added is perhaps interactive fighting scenes with the pow's and kablams, you have control of two hands so there nothing stopping them for allowing you to fight, block,. and dodge incoming hits.

Saying that makes me want a VR Ready 2 Rumble

Shoeless

I always thought one of the best parts of Heavy Rain was when you were doing actual FBI crime scene or forensics work. I think it would be a no brainer to do either that type of game, or for a more "exotic" take, transport us back to 19th century England and let us be Sherlock Holmes, complete with magnifying glass.

The launch PS4 didn't have a HDMI splitter built into it, after looking at the spec sheets it seems odd they would use a 10bit 4k capable SoC, then hamstring it with a lesser HDMI interface, unless of course there was nothing capable of multi display and audio in / out that was 10 bit whilst it was in development.

I guess it doesn't stop them from adding an updated transciever in future that can take the HDR signal.

Thanks. I really can't fathom how Sony can fuck up simple things like this...

Imagine an expanded idea of what LA Noire was trying to accomplish. Where you sit with people in interrogation rooms in VR and now you could really feel their performances. Put that along with some of the detective work in Condemned which could work perfectly in VR. You could make it a horror/detective game that is sort of reminiscent to the movie Se7en.

morpix

Just got shipping confirmation. I'll join you all tomorrow!
Got Tumble VR, Job Simulator and Thumper lined up. NZ didn't get the starter pack with VR Worlds, so yeah. Might get that some other time as a showpiece.

Maligna

Banned
So, had there been any definitive tests done on if there is a difference between how well the new vs old PS cameras work with PSVR?

Just played a few games of End Zone with my friend in Rigs. Holy shit this is it guys!! It's so fun. We had some really close games against some real player.

VR multiplayer is so awesome

bumpkin

Woohoo! Just finished getting all of the trophies in Batman: Arkham VR.

14264063_10154602761458582_8793061647988418182_n.jpg

What an awesome ride! I wish it had been longer with more crimes to solve, maybe not cut to the chase as quick as it does. We know that Rocksteady has the chops to come up with an awesome story, great narrative, etc. in the Batman universe. Still, it was very enjoyable. I think it's possibly my favorite PSVR title thus far. PSVR Worlds is a solid second between The London Heist, Ocean Descent, Scavenger's Odyssey and Danger Ball.

Imagine an expanded idea of what LA Noire was trying to accomplish. Where you sit with people in interrogation rooms in VR and now you could really feel their performances. Put that along with some of the detective work in Condemned which could work perfectly in VR. You could make it a horror/detective game that is sort of reminiscent to the movie Se7en.

Yeah, it's already crystal clear that even just the oldest verbs in the book - observing and listening - are now new and compelling again in VR. Almost every single shot and scene in Batman is captivating. Even if it's just "pick up a phone and listen" or "look at a business card on the table" or "look up at a bridge towering above the city". All of those things are ok in 2D but are utterly compelling and interesting again in VR.

I'd absolutely play an LA Noire-ish title where you need to scope out crime scenes and maybe even sit in offices and have conversations with people. If it feels like you're really in a police HQ, interrogation room, or crime scene, then I'm sold.

Yeah, it's already crystal clear that even just the oldest verbs in the book - observing and listening - are now new and compelling again in VR. Almost every single shot and scene in Batman is captivating. Even if it's just "pick up a phone and listen" or "look at a business card on the table" or "look up at a bridge towering above the city". All of those things are ok in 2D but are utterly compelling and interesting again in VR.

I'd absolutely play an LA Noire-ish title where you need to scope out crime scenes and maybe even sit in offices and have conversations with people. If it feels like you're really in a police HQ, interrogation room, or crime scene, then I'm sold.

This is what I want too. Some dev better be working on it already. I don't want to wait years.

I actually think it's what Devs should focus on more with VR since the path to making more complex gameplay is still a bit uncertain. One of my favorite experiences so far in PSVR is Allumette. There's no control from the player except how to view and frame the action. It feels wonderful just letting things happen and getting close up to the small characters to see their expressions better or sit back to view the full scene.

Things like Gone Home that some people would find boring in 2D take on another life in VR. Also traditional games that would be considered somewhat simplistic or constrained like a side-scroller or a game like Crash which had really linear levels can gain 10x the immersion without devs having to reinvent the wheel (see Thumper).

Renkax

Finally to unwrap Rush of blood lol first 2 levels were amazing. The whole pig part was just disgustingly awesome ! First time using the moves too it made me buy the Brookhaven experiment without checking if it's great on Psvr.

D23

Not even battlefield 1 can stop me from psvr... could this be the longest honeymoon period Yet😎? Still addicted as ever to thumper and I just started bound last night which was amazing.

I love this thing, wish I have all the time in the world to play it.

I always thought one of the best parts of Heavy Rain was when you were doing actual FBI crime scene or forensics work. I think it would be a no brainer to do either that type of game, or for a more "exotic" take, transport us back to 19th century England and let us be Sherlock Holmes, complete with magnifying glass.

I liked the part what you had to decide to cut off one of your fingers, now doing that in VR would be a real treat.

Just got shipping confirmation. I'll join you all tomorrow!
Got Tumble VR, Job Simulator and Thumper lined up. NZ didn't get the starter pack with VR Worlds, so yeah. Might get that some other time as a showpiece.

Make sure you download the full US demo disc and try RIGS.

Slixshot

Banned
Just played a handful of matches of rigs online. Game is so good. My favorite game to play right now. One of the only games that can actually keep my attention.

Teknoman

Just played a few games of End Zone with my friend in Rigs. Holy shit this is it guys!! It's so fun. We had some really close games against some real player.

VR multiplayer is so awesome

Does the headset have a built in mic or is it just the camera that picks up voice?

I'm assuming it does, since the volume controller has a mute button.

Planet

Any EU-Gaffer impressions yet?
Played the tutorial last night, but I do need at least some hours sleep... damn you Sony, that midnight unlocking time sucks, I'd honestly prefer you push it back to the morning. :(

It's super cute, looks really crisp and plays fine. If you got any positive preview impressions and think it might be something you'd like, it most probably is what you wish for. Go buy it while it is still discounted!

The positional sound even helps managing your peeps, you can really hear where someone is bored or where the snails emerge. The controls are super simple, intuitive and effective. Great job especially considering they did it in relatively short time - AFAIK they just formed their studio and started developing in early 2015. Will definitely take a close look at whatever they start next.

Does the headset have a built in mic or is it just the camera that picks up voice?

I'm assuming it does, since the volume controller has a mute button.

I muted the camera mic so it must be using the mic on the headset yeah.

Unless the VR headset is using the mic from my Apple earbuds without the usual static

After extended use I've noticed either dirt under the lens or a dead pixel on my headset. It's easily noticeable in the demo disc menu area with the white background.

Not sure what to do here. It isn't noticeable all the time but it sucks since it's so close to my face it comes up more often than I thought it would.

Should I call Sony? Go back to where I got it? It hasn't been 2 weeks yet so I could do an exchange.

i could finally play a few hours during the last weekend and im amazed with this new tech.
batman alone was such an incredible experience, never felt anything like this before in a game. i'm lucky because i have no problem with drifting or tracking issues. everything works perfect with my setup. played all the demos and didn't get sick. and you guys were right about that playroom platformer; absolutely fantastic!

i was a little to much pumped and overwhelmed by the full version of eve.
did barrel rolls like a crazy person and got sick for half a day.
well, lesson learned i guess.

Eighthours

Slow hand clap for the Windlands developers for launching at £32.49 despite having advertised a £19.99 price only a week ago on Reddit and their own website, 'barring minor changes'. It's extremely greedy price gouging, which will ultimately be self-defeating and result in well deserved fuck-all sales. 'Durrrrr, derp, why no one buy our game?'

Boneheaded prices in full:
Eve Valkyrie £54.99
Superhypercube £24.99
Windlands £32.49

Unfortunately these devs are probably too clueless to think about how much more money they would be making if they were priced at the following levels:
Eve: £39.99
Superhypercube: £15.49
Windlands: £19.99

Seriously, Eve and Hypercube would be doing so, so, so much better. Apparently Hypercube has a world online leaderboard that's barely into the hundreds at present. Yet I bet Batman has already sold 100k units (assuming there are that many PSVRs in the wild).

Played the tutorial last night, but I do need at least some hours sleep... damn you Sony, that midnight unlocking time sucks, I'd honestly prefer you push it back to the morning. :(

It's super cute, looks really crisp and plays fine. If you got any positive preview impressions and think it might be something you'd like, it most probably is what you wish for. Go buy it while it is still discounted!

The positional sound even helps managing your peeps, you can really hear where someone is bored or where the snails emerge. The controls are super simple, intuitive and effective. Great job especially considering they did it in relatively short time - AFAIK they just formed their studio and started developing in early 2015. Will definitely take a close look at whatever they start next.

I take it this is EU as I don't see it in the NA store

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom