• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHarris78

Just tried Rush of Blood for the first time, done up to the end of level 3 (can't beat the final bit with the red blob thing behind the double doors), its ok but was expecting more. Other than a couple of jump scares its not as scary as I'd hoped it would be, also thought the up n down rollercoaster bits would be more fun than they were.

Just tried Rush of Blood for the first time, done up to the end of level 3 (can't beat the final bit with the red blob thing behind the double doors), its ok but was expecting more. Other than a couple of jump scares its not as scary as I'd hoped it would be, also thought the up n down rollercoaster bits would be more fun than they were.

I am a huge wuss when it comes to scary movies and stuff I hate haunted houses. Rush of Blood is one of my favorites. I feel its not that scary, just the anticipation of the jump scare.

with that said I LOVE it, its really, really fun! I wouldn't recommend it for someone that just wants to be scared.

Has anyone encountered the PSVR view "tilting" about 15 degrees to the right? Mine was working perfectly since launch but recently started doing this. Wondering if anyone else came across this and more importantly what they did to fix it....

Dinosur

Issues with Batman :(

Seems that whenever I move my hands in front of my face, too far away from me, or too high, they just disappear, and when they come back into sight I need to shake my Move controller to get it working again.

What fixed that same issue for me in Batman was pointing/angling the camera up higher (since you're standing instead of the usual sitting). I could barely grab any of the models in the initial room until I did that.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
It's long enough to notice you have boobs and figure out what the controls are. What else does a demo need to do?

At least give me a feel of what the game is like. No sooner had I moved around a bit and shot a target the demo was over. Useless.

worst demo ever. no interest in their game with how stupid their demo was. it's like they're afraid people would actually enjoy it.

Yeah. I feel the same way. It was a very mean demo. Took longer to load then to play.

Kyolux

At least give me a feel of what the game is like. No sooner had I moved around a bit and shot a target the demo was over. Useless.

Yeah. I feel the same way. It was a very mean demo. Took longer to load then to play.

Main game is just team deathmatch or something. I didn't get to play a lot. Was busy with other games so far. It's really a shame, because a campaign would have been really nice.

Do we have any idea which titles released so far will get PS4 Pro patches? I'm really hoping Batman does.
Since they launched in October I suppose all games already have some type of PRO mode. What and how it actually enhances gameplay, no one knows yet, it might be a game by game case.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Don't move them in front of your face. It's gonna break the headset tracking.

If you lose tracking if they're too high or too to the left/to the right, you need to be further away from the camera so it can see those move controllers at all times.

What's funny about this, when I questioned if this may cause issues in the troubleshooting thread, people went nuts on me trying to shoot down that as a possibility.

Has anyone encountered the PSVR view "tilting" about 15 degrees to the right? Mine was working perfectly since launch but recently started doing this. Wondering if anyone else came across this and more importantly what they did to fix it....

I had no issues up till now either, but recently my cinema mode also feels scewed. Since I set the camera in another position to play batman, I can't find the sweet spot from the first week again.

Grinchy

Banned
The Brookhaven Experience is very cool. I love how it feels to aim down the sights and pop a perfect headshot at a distance with one shot. I was getting 70+% accuracy on early levels.

That said, the tracking gets bad when aiming the gun completely to the sides. I haven't had a lot of troubleshooting time so far on it, but once again, a standing game that requires any kind of actual movement has pretty bad tracking issues for me on this thing.

Orcastar

I had no issues up till now either, but recently my cinema mode also feels scewed. Since I set the camera in another position to play batman, I can't find the sweet spot from the first week again.

My PSVR's view has been tilted about 5 degrees to the right since I bought it last week. Haven't been able to come up with a solution. It's not that noticeable during most games, but it's very clear every time I open the PS button menu in-game. In Rez Infinite it's also kinda distracting seeing that the crosshair is constantly tilted to the right.

Like I speculated in this thread a few days ago, I think the problem is actually caused by the natural resting position of my head, which is slightly tilted for whatever reason; the PSVR's calibration options just don't seem to compensate for it. Sony really needs to add some manual calibration options...

panda-zebra

Awesome review from an everyday guy! Guess I'm getting PSVR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNiscnzuJd4

Flossy has a great reviews in general!

"I grew up in a videogame household... I had every videogame system that you could think of... you name it, we had it. I've played videogames my whole life... On a scale of 1 to 10: my mind is blown. Literally the most fun I've ever had playing a videogame in my whole life. Buy this. Buy this immediately. This is incredible."

I think a lot of people can relate to this if PSVR was their first VR experience - I certainly can.

Glix

"I grew up in a videogame household... I had every videogame system that you could think of... you name it, we had it. I've played videogames my whole life... On a scale of 1 to 10: my mind is blown. Literally the most fun I've ever had playing a videogame in my whole life. Buy this. Buy this immediately. This is incredible."

I think a lot of people can relate to this if PSVR was their first VR experience - I certainly can.

Yes, this was my exact experience.

I grew up in a house like that and that was precisely my reaction. My first VR experience was with a Vive 6 months ago, but VR is still just as mindblowing/awesome as that very first time. I find myself using my PSVR more than the Vive lately thanks to all the awesome new content/how comfortable the PSVR is for long gaming sessions.

So... have any of you gotten motion sickness from this?

Comes and goes. For example, I got sick when I played the Rigs demo but chalked it up to having felt a little off all day. Tried it again and it was wonderful and I never got sick. Then I bought the game...and it made me feel terrible. Just seems to happen when it happens, for me anyway.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
How long do you guys expect it will be till we get our first First-Person RPG?

I hope when they do deliver they can give us an option of using teleport rather then artificial locomotion.

ckohler

So... have any of you gotten motion sickness from this?

I did the first three days due to a combination lack of VR experience and my setup not providing good tracking. I was really worried at first. Now, I never do. I can play for hours and it has zero effect on me. It's actually a big relief.

I can't stress enough how important it is to ensure you have your position/camera setup dialed in so that there is no "world swaying" when you play. That probably solved it for me along with just getting used to it.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, this was my exact experience.

I played RIGS first while my MOve controllers charged, and, while it was cool, I didn't quite see how much of a revolution it was.

But then my Move controllers were ready and I switched to Batman, and it completely blew my mind. There's a part early on where
the cowl comes down before you, and you literally reach out for it and put it on your head, and I actually started to well up a little bit.
It was just so incredible. The potential that this technology has is just endless. I can't wait to see where it is 5 years from now.

I hope when they do deliver they can give us an option of using teleport rather then artificial locomotion.

Yes. After playing Batman, it made me realize just how perfectly fine and comfortable it is to teleport in VR. It sounded weird before trying VR but makes perfect sense. Standard locomation without a cockpit is instant barfbag.

A somewhat dubious honor but this made me feel good.

We are working on a final touch up patch for VEV. I'm just curious if there are any more vibes from anyone who have had the chance to give it a go? :)

I played the tutorial sample last night. VEV is definitely a fun and interesting little gem, and at $4.99, provides the best value for your money of any of the launch titles. I am still somewhat unsure about some of the elements of the game ( I did go in pretty blind other than knowing the basic details of the game), but I had a lot of fun exploring the tutorial level (and started messing around in The Pond Water level) and learning how the game works. Maybe you can help clear up some of my questions.

VEV is a game where you control a microscopic drone that allows you, as a Microbiologist, to explore different samples (pond water, soil, etc) from different angles. You are IN the sample, moving around. The game has instructions written on the panels of the tutorial level, I tried to read them, but for some reason, I have horrible comprehension skills in VR Games. I read stuff, and I forget it so quickly. Part of it is the immersion, I get distracted, stuff just doesn't stick with me in VR lol. I said the same thing about Loading Human, can't pay attention to the story cause I am always looking around, picking stuff up, or dancing with my hands. Your VEV can only function for 15 minutes before it dies. However, you need to continue to absorb energy within that 15 minutes to keep everything functioning properly. After 15 minutes, your time in that sample is over. The view is from nearly directly behind your VEV, and you can move in any direction, 360 degrees. I didn't really have any motion sickness, but I was using the easy/slow control scheme. You swim around in whatever sample you are exploring, looking for particles you can harvest/absorb for Energy. This is where the gameplay becomes very familiar to Flow. You swim around looking for small particles, and when you get close, they will stick to you. Particles can be "upgraded" basically when you run into a particle with one already attached to you. There appears to be a limit as to how many particles you can pick up. Once you have 12 or so attached to you (I am guessing here) you can upgrade each one by running into more particles. Once they are all upgraded, you hold a button to use them for energy. Then you start the hunt all over again.

There are also larger creatures swimming around in the sample with you. I dont know too much about them and what to do with them yet. I am still early in the game. The game also has leaderboards that show the top 3 scores on each sample. A score is determined by how much energy you harvest/absorb in your 15 minute VEV lifespan.

Here are some questions I have:

- I dont understand what to use the Shockwave for. I tried doing it on the other VEV like creatures, and nothing happened. I have tried to use it around other particles, and didn't really notice anything. I know it talks about the shockwave in the little Hint screens when the game loads, but I just didn't understand how to use it.

- Can I only absorb the Blue Particles? I saw those little worm things in the Pond Water and was trying to catch those bad boys, but I couldn't. Is my goal to swim around hunting the blue particles, then when I am full, absorb them?

- What do I do with those crazy other Vev looking creatures?

Suggestions:

- I would love some type of playable interactive tutorial. Currently, you kinda read the walls with the instructions while you are playing the game and swimming around. I would prefer some type of Checklist tutorial where it tells you "Collect 15 particles and absorb them" then you get a green checkmark when you do. Then it has a new task. I am a hands on learner, and as a 6th Grade Teacher, I use more of a hands on learning teaching style. The way the game explains to you how to play, just doesn't work for my learning style. However, I am aware it will work much better for others. This is a personal suggestion. This is nothing unique to your game, this is just a personal thing for me. ITS ME NOT YOU lol. The game really does throw a lot at you when it comes to how to play and what you do.

- I would like some type of 180 quick turn. This could make people puke, so maybe it isn't feasible. But there were times I would have loved to do a quick turn and head the other way.

- I feel that the way your view kinda narrows, as you accelerate and decelerate, should be an option you can turn off. I was somewhat distracted by the shadow that appears on the outside of your view as you speed up or slow down.

- I was also looking for some way to quickly flip over. When in the tutorial level, I had swam around a while, and got turned upside down. In this space, with 360degrees of movement, I know it doesn't matter really which way is up and down. However, it does in the tutorial level since you have to read the walls. When I got upside down, I basically had to do a loop, then turn around, to get all the walls back so I could read them. Again, this may be a motion thing that could make people sick, I dont know.

I also got a giggle from the note you left me on my seat in the lab. Pretty funny!

So those who had the PSVR for a few weeks, how is the experience going now? Do you still want to play it regularly? Or the initial enthusiasm is dying off after playing the titles a few times? Or do you still want to experience them often? Are you wanting more titles or had enough that it doesn't matter?

Just curious to see if this thing will be like a fad that Kinect/Move was.

I have not bought it yet, but I remember Move and how it was collecting dust after a few months. And don't want to spend $399 if that's how it would be.

bumpkin

So those who had the PSVR for a few weeks, how is the experience going now? Do you still want to play it regularly? Or the initial enthusiasm is dying off after playing the titles a few times? Or do you still want to experience them often? Are you wanting more titles or had enough that it doesn't matter?

I have not bought it yet, but I remember Move and how it was collecting dust after a few months. And don't want to spend $399 if that's how it would be.
I went through the story in Batman already, but I'm still playing stages over looking for the hidden stuff. In the process I have replayed the story a few times and it's still just as cool as it was the first time even though I know how it plays out. It's very well done.

The same goes for the stuff in VR Worlds like the Ocean Descent and the stuff in Playroom VR because they're cool experiences.

Honestly I think what has given it legs is that my wife has taken an interest in it too. A lot of the time we are taking turns playing.

ckohler

I have been playing mine regularly. What keeps me coming back is both the experience of VR and some compelling games. Tumble VR is a lot of fun and I'm replaying many of the levels to complete the challenges and unlock new zones. Sports Bar VR has a lot of replay value if you have a friend to play with who likes pool.

Compared to motion controls, there's just nothing like being in a VR world. Motion controls alone are just a control gimmick. VR is like experiencing games in a new way. Only time will tell if VR is a fad but as long as compelling games and experiences keep coming, I think the future is bright. Just be sure to consider it another platform and not a replacement for traditional gaming. I still fully plan on diving into Gears 4, FFXV, Horizon and Persona 5 in a few months.

Jashobeam

The instant 180 turn button in Batman needs to be in all first person vr games. Also the mechanic in London Heist where the objects fly into your hands when you're near them, although it looks strange, it makes it easier to reach for objects.

Since I have got PSVR at launch I have only played "traditional" games twice. And that was only because real-life buddies were playing online and we use it to socialize. Aside from that I've been exclusively VR.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just tried Blood Ties VR in Tomb Raider and good lord is it impressive. I found myself multiple times just in awe exploring the mansion and taking in the sights. Even if it is just a pixel-hunt adventure, it looks astounding and I was surprised at how well the whole thing functions playing while standing and being able to duck down and peer closely at much of the detail.

Rez and Until Dawn have a ton of replayability for me. Plus, it never gets old showing this tech off to other people.

Fisty

I'm still amazed by the same games I've been playing since launch, Ive played through Until Dawn maybe 4 times but keep going back, it's like an escape from reality (yeah cliche but man its so true). The scale and world just feel so immersive, it's like being in a real minecart-style haunted house.

Rez is just... disappointing without VR. I think it's a great game but I have no idea how that game got so popular before VR (besides the OST I suppose). Being inside that world is just unbelievably cool though. It's like the Virtual Boy killer app we never got.

RIGS is RIGS, and would have been a lot less exciting without VR. The speed and even after-match stuff is just a blast, I think the 30 minute tutorial is the perfect entry point for a "core" gamer to VR.

Thumper is cool, but like Rez is just not the same without VR. The depth of the world and seeing the track extend out into the horizon is just awesome.

Those are just the ones I've played extensively, but I've heard Batman is great and alot of the demos are well put together.

If you are on the fence, I would say try immediately. This won't be a Move situation, hell you'll even get some use out of that dusty Move you have lol.

Now that I have my VR Legs Underneath me, I decided to also jump into Scavenger's Odyssey last night. Wow, this game is pretty impressive. You are in a Mech, with full movement, you have some platforming elements. My daughter had to teach me how to play since I was jumping in on her game. But dang, I was fighting that boss battle against that huge bug worm thing. I would jump from platform to platform, turning in mid air and shooting at the boss as he was flying around. All while dodging his green acid spit. I thought it had some of the better graphics I have seen so far (havent played Batman).

I am about ready to start it from the beginning.

Sidon

I got a PSVR 'on the cheap' from a co-worker (PSVR + camera, no Motion controllers) - turns out he gets real motion sick in that thing lol. I told him 'visit a demo stand', but no....

I've got to say I'm very positively surprised. I have a Vive already, but the PSVR holds up really well.

From the demos and games I played, RIGS, Super Hyper Cube and Rez Infinite are musts for me. I tried Driveclub VR too and thought it was actually pretty cool. No motion sickness at all. The only problem I had with Driveclub is that I felt real close up to the wheel & dashboard (calibration didn't solve that). Automatically, I actually reached under my seat to adjust the distance only to discover I wasn't in a real car...lol.

For the rest, if only the Eve Valkyrie demo would have been a bit longer...I couldn't really sample it. The cockpit looks great though.

No real big issues with gamepad tracking or drift either, the view stayed dead center. I'm happy with it. :)

- I did not open Battlefield 1
- I quit on Gears 4 and Mario Color Splash
- I've cancelled Titanfall 2, ordered Robinson The Journey
- I'm on holiday now and all I can think of is PSVR

Does that answer your question?

DjRalford

I got a PSVR 'on the cheap' from a co-worker (PSVR + camera, no Motion controllers) - turns out he gets real motion sick in that thing lol. I told him 'visit a demo stand', but no....

I've got to say I'm very positively surprised. I have a Vive already, but the PSVR holds up really well.

From the demos and games I played, RIGS, Super Hyper Cube and Rez Infinite are musts for me. I tried Driveclub VR too and thought it was actually pretty cool. No motion sickness at all. The only problem I had with Driveclub is that I felt real close up to the wheel & dashboard (calibration didn't solve that). Automatically, I actually reached under my seat to adjust the distance only to discover I wasn't in a real car...lol.

For the rest, if only the Eve Valkyrie demo would have been a bit longer...I couldn't really sample it. The cockpit looks great though.

In Driveclub you can use the dpad to adjust cockpit position before you start the race.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Anyone else had problems with sound and/or video cutting out in the headset?

Was playing Rez, with a move controller if it makes any difference, and frequently the audio was dropping.

I turned the headset off, plugged all the cables out and back in again and switched to a ds4. I had no sound problems subsequently, but I did have a momentary video interruption this time.

I had noticed a couple of times previously, playing the demo disk, that video would cut out like this. It flashes a grey noise picture before going back to the game.

Is there something I'm overlooking? Could I have a dud unit? :/

I haven't played a 2d game since! I seek out VR experiences even with games that are mediocre because the experience is that much better.

ckohler

How would you say the head tracking is compared to Vive? Is it similar? I know the Move controllers are not as precise as Vive's controllers but what about the actual headset?

Anyone else had problems with sound and/or video cutting out in the headset?

The sound cut out on me once when playing Until Dawn. I reset the processor box and it hasn't happened again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom