• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Slow hand clap for the Windlands developers for launching at £32.49 despite having advertised a £19.99 price only a week ago on Reddit and their own website, 'barring minor changes'. It's extremely greedy price gouging, which will ultimately be self-defeating and result in well deserved fuck-all sales. 'Durrrrr, derp, why no one buy our game?'

Boneheaded prices in full:
Eve Valkyrie £54.99
Superhypercube £24.99
Windlands £32.49

Unfortunately these devs are probably too clueless to think about how much more money they would be making if they were priced at the following levels:
Eve: £39.99
Superhypercube: £15.49
Windlands: £19.99

Seriously, Eve and Hypercube would be doing so, so, so much better. Apparently Hypercube has a world online leaderboard that's barely into the hundreds at present. Yet I bet Batman has already sold 100k units (assuming there are that many PSVRs in the wild).

I agree and I'm not supporting devs who think they can rip the piss.

xJavonta

Banned
What should I buy first? Just got my VR headset from Taco Bell and they gave me a $40 credit.

I'm short on cash though so I can't really afford to go over that. I was thinking Job Simulator then possibly Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes

I just finished doing a race in the Hennessey Venom GT on Driveclub....

tumblr_m5hnbv9OC01r425rao1_500.gif

:O What a ride!

Wehrwolf

What should I buy first? Just got my VR headset from Taco Bell and they gave me a $40 credit.

I'm short on cash though so I can't really afford to go over that. I was thinking Job Simulator then possibly Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes

I'd recommend downloading the free playstation vr demo disc from PSN and using that to make your decision.

For me, Thumper and Rez are my favorites. I'll probably buy Until Dawn today, but I've only played the demo so far.

Many others really like Rigs, but many also get motion sick from it.

Arkham VR is very well liked, but it's also very short. If you can't afford much for games for awhile, it probably won't have as much replayability as some other games.

About the ones you mentioned, Keep Talking is one of the best games to play multiplayer that uses VR, but its multiplayer only. Job Simulator initially impressed me a lot for its full 360-degree world, but after buying the full game, it seems a bit too simple...

ffvorax

Actually bought and finished Batman VR (100%) and Wayward Skyes (not all thropies yet)... loved both!

Next I don't know....

Rush of blood, Tumble (just for the fun to pile things with the moves) and Thumper are the ones I like and that have a good price.

I also would love to buy Rez and Job Simulator, but I will wait a discount for these... (19.9€ will be good for both)

Rigs, Driveclub, Battlezone not interested... Eve I don't know, the 1 minute demo doesn't help, also the fact that is a multi game...

thumper and rush of blood are next on my list.
i'm also really interested in vr worlds.
too bad that you can't just buy the games on there separately.

xJavonta

Banned
Until Dawn and Thumper
I tried Until Dawn's demo and wasn't really hooked, is the full game much better/feature rich?

I'd recommend downloading the free playstation vr demo disc from PSN and using that to make your decision.

For me, Thumper and Rez are my favorites. I'll probably buy Until Dawn today, but I've only played the demo so far.

Many others really like Rigs, but many also get motion sick from it.

Arkham VR is very well liked, but it's also very short. If you can't afford much for games for awhile, it probably won't have as much replayability as some other games.

About the ones you mentioned, Keep Talking is one of the best games to play multiplayer that uses VR, but its multiplayer only. Job Simulator initially impressed me a lot for its full 360-degree world, but after buying the full game, it seems a bit too simple...
Have yet to try Thumper or Rez, will give those a shot.

RIGS gives me very slight motion sickness but from what I've read it's isolated to the demo. Is that true?

Really would like Arkham VR but I'd rather wait to buy it retail with my GCU since there doesn't seem to be much replay value.

Keep Talking looks like a load of fun and I live with three other people so having someone to play with won't be a problem. I also think after reading up a bit more I'll hold off on Job Simulator. I plan on getting a Vive sometime early next year (probably tax return season) and getting it on that since it seems to have more content and the promise of Rick and Morty DLC

I'm just trying to get this $40 to stretch as far as I can 😔

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Extender cable? Was that something that came with the headset, or just something you're using (HDMI to DVI)

So, I wondered also what the 'extender cable' is, that I've seen people refer to in trouble shooting - I presume it is the long cable that connects from the processor box to the cable coming out of the headset. I think you can plug the cable from the headset directly into the processor box. But of course it is much shorter.

I'm going to try removing the HDMI->DVI TV connection first, and hope that that fixes it.

Sounds like a dodgy HDMI connection. Normally there's no dynamic strain on these things, but since they're now connected to a human being in motion, that's no longer true. Double check all connections, and try replacing old cable.

When we talk about the HDMI connection, do we mean the one between the TV and the processor box, or the one between the processor box and the TV, or both? I've read elsewhere that 'HDMI 1.3' is required - I'm using the cable that came with the unit to connect the processor box to the PS4, so I assume that is OK. The one cable that might be iffy is the one between the processor box and my monitor (it's a HDMI->DVI cable, I don't think it's HDMI 1.3) - could that be affecting the signal to the headset in some way?

I might try the shorter cable that came with the PS4, to connect the PS4 to the processor box. I think it's shorter anyway. Maybe the signal on that will be stronger.

Just got RIGS. So far it's pretty fun, which is odd that I waited so long because that's the demo I played at PSX and liked.

Picked up Jpb Simulator too, having lots of laughs with that one.

Would like Thumper, Bound, and Rez but i will have to wait.

I also picked up the Plantronics Rig 4VR specifically for my VR as my Golds and Pulse Elites somehow don't fit on my ears right when I'm using the headset . The Plantronics one has a very wide band and the cups aren't too huge so it's great. Soundwise, it's not bad, but nothing spectacular. It has a very nice mic which sounds great and is quickly and easily muted by rotating it up and there being an audible click. This is the best muting feature I've seen.

It comes with two lengths of 3.5, one for the VR and a longer one for DS4. Very lightweight. It also has vented cups which let out and let in sound which at first I thought why, but when you're wearing the VR headset for awhile, it's actually nice to not be totally engulfed soundwise. It actually made playing for longer periods much more pleasant.

Also had a week of use of the Turtle Beach 350 VR and that one is also not too bad for fitting with the headset as well as sounding pretty good for the price. The Turtle Beach is amplified which means it has to be charged to use even though it's wired. There is a nice rotary volume knob on it which I loved.

Both have great features and sound is equivalent overall with the Turtle having a bit more bass but not as clean sounding as the Plantronics. Both fit the VR headset better than other headphones for me. Each has one or two things I really like about them. Both are in the 60-70 dollar range. None sound as good as my Pulse Elites or my VModa headphones, but none of those fit when I'm wearing the VR.

panda-zebra

After extended use I've noticed either dirt under the lens or a dead pixel on my headset. It's easily noticeable in the demo disc menu area with the white background.

Not sure what to do here. It isn't noticeable all the time but it sucks since it's so close to my face it comes up more often than I thought it would.

Should I call Sony? Go back to where I got it? It hasn't been 2 weeks yet so I could do an exchange.

Is it still there when you fully power down and power back on later? I had what I thought were 4 or so stuck pixels in a row when playing driveclub last week. After initial panic I shut it all down and came back later to find they were gone.

Superhypercube £24.99.

Would not have hesitated to buy SHC at £16, as it is I can live with messing about in the demo occasionally and waiting for the inevitable sale price.

There's also a few titles I'm reluctant to buy at any price, but would give a go if PSVR ends up as part of the ps+ programme.

I agree and I'm not supporting devs who think they can rip the piss.

Yep I'm not happy to pay full price at the moment, especially as other games are normally below RRP at launch anyway, whereas VR games are just sitting there taking the piss.

My purchases so far have been

Retail
RIGS
Rush of Blood
VR Worlds

Digital
Batman
Hustle Kings (Upgrade)
Super Stardust (Upgrade)
Driveclub (Upgrade)
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
Thumper

I'd like to get Battlezone, but no way I'm paying over £30 for it.

Planet

I tried Until Dawn's demo and wasn't really hooked, is the full game much better/feature rich?
If you didn't like the demo, you won't like the game. It is the complete second level and thus very close to the real thing. Later levels get spookier, more difficult, more crazy, but not something else altogether. As always, even the best of games (which I consider this to be a member of) don't appeal to everyone.

Also: get Tethered! Europe now, US seems to take a while longer, but get it as soon as you can if you want cute real time strategy. Too bad it is €3 more expensive now. pre-orders got 20% off, still worth the asking price. At least put it on that wish list and wait for a sale. :)

If you didn't like the demo, you won't like the game. It is the complete second level and thus very close to the real thing. Later levels get spookier, more difficult, more crazy, but not something else altogether. As always, even the best of games (which I consider this to be a member of) don't appeal to everyone.

Also: get Tethered! Europe now, US seems to take a while longer, but get it as soon as you can if you want cute real time strategy. Too bad it is €3 more expensive now. pre-orders got 20% off, still worth the asking price. At least put it on that wish list and wait for a sale. :)

Were you only able to pre order Tethered in Europe?

Omg Thumper is an unbelievable game.

I tried the demo, beat it and instantly bought it on psn.

It's the most amazing game I've played in awhile. It's the perfect vr game especially in vr mode. What a rush.

Anyone know how long it is? I'm currently on level 2.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Well shit I have become a full on wuss as I couldn't even make it through Until Dawn's demo without being freaked the fuck out. That ghostly girl and zombie people making jump scares made me quit out of the demo fucking fast. (I'll still buy the game when I get my move controllers, but goddamn a rail shooter spooked me good)

And to think I had no issues playing Amnesia or any Silent Hill game alone in the dark... I don't know how I will manage through RE7.

Oh and Batman is incredibly atmospheric. Much like the Croft manor in Tom Raider VR, I just adore poking about Wayne manor and futzing with minor puzzles and objects.

Unlike most though, I wasn't very impressed with Thumper, expectedly so as I care not for rhythm-esque reflex games at all. It is pretty well done though.

SJRB

Gold Member
Slow hand clap for the Windlands developers for launching at £32.49 despite having advertised a £19.99 price only a week ago on Reddit and their own website, 'barring minor changes'. It's extremely greedy price gouging, which will ultimately be self-defeating and result in well deserved fuck-all sales. 'Durrrrr, derp, why no one buy our game?'

Eve Valkyrie £54.99
Superhypercube £24.99
Windlands £32.49

Unfortunately these devs are probably too clueless to think about how much more money they would be making if they were priced at the following levels:

Seriously, Eve and Hypercube would be doing so, so, so much better. Apparently Hypercube has a world online leaderboard that's barely into the hundreds at present. Yet I bet Batman has already sold 100k units (assuming there are that many PSVRs in the wild).

I bought EVE for 60 euros and now that the "holy hell this looks amazing" phase is kinda over there is no doubt 60 bucks is highway robbery.

The game has a "single player campaign" which basically consists of 5 missions, one on each map the game has to offer. That's right - this 60 euro game has five maps. And the mission in the demo? That's basically one whole mission. And it's the best mission. One mission is literally "fly here and wait for scripted death". The multiplayer isn't exactly better. It has TDM and some form of Domination, but given the extreme advantage higher leveled players have in terms of armor/weapons there's little fun to be had here unless you drop some coins on upgrading your ship yourself.

The tour missions are nice, it's basically freeroam sightseeing on all the maps [ALL FIVE] while you collect a couple of resources and recordings for throwaway backstory audio logs. Seriously, they had Katee Sackhoff, for fuck's sake. Such a waste.

The experience is 10/10, but if this wasn't a VR game it would've been ripped to shreds. I'm still not sure why it isn't being ripped at the moment though, this should've been a 30 euro title tops, especially considering all the microtransactions.

Yep I'm not happy to pay full price at the moment, especially as other games are normally below RRP at launch anyway, whereas VR games are just sitting there taking the piss.

My purchases so far have been

Retail
RIGS
Rush of Blood
VR Worlds

Digital
Batman
Hustle Kings (Upgrade)
Super Stardust (Upgrade)
Driveclub (Upgrade)
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
Thumper

I'd like to get Battlezone, but no way I'm paying over £30 for it.

Battlezone is actually worth it imo. Awesome coop, a lot of replayability. With Rigs and Until Dawn, Battlezone are my favourites.

But I agree that most prices are crazy, especially compared to prices on Steam.

Windlands is how much US? 35 euro... Idk how much that is US lol.

Like wtf wasn't it $20 bucks? I was planning on getting that and headmaster to hit 100

Battlezone is actually worth it imo. Awesome coop, a lot of replayability. With Rigs and Until Dawn, Battlezone are my favourites.

But I agree that most prices are crazy, especially compared to prices on Steam.

Currently got some best offers in on eBay for it, I liked the demo, but what with having just paid out on the hardware I can't keep dropping £50 a game right now.

Currently got some best offers in on eBay for it, I liked the demo, but what with having just paid out on the hardware I can't keep dropping £50 a game right now.

I've got the same problem;) Been an expensive month, PSpro coming up and still wanna buy Eve, SHC, Headmaster, Tethered , Windlands, Robinson lol

I've got the same problem;) Been an expensive month, PSpro coming up and still wanna buy Eve, SHC, Headmaster, Tethered , Windlands, Robinson lol

I'm lucky in that it's my 40th Birthday on the 26th November, so the Pro is a present from the parents.

Yep, Tethered and Robinson are also on my list of games to get as well, also picked up the Jackbox Party Pack 3 this month too.

feezel

Eve Valkyrie £54.99
Superhypercube £24.99
Windlands £32.49

Seems the Windlands price is a mistake: http://www.windlands.com/media/windlands-sony-europe-store-price-issues/

Just had a demo in game (yes I payed for it).

I couldn't get it to fit snugly, had light coming in the top and bottom. Although I'm sure at home I'd get it set up better.

Did the ocean decent demo which was good, the screen door faded from my attention really quick and felt as if I was actually moving down with the cage. This sold me on getting it.

Then I played vr world's shooting gallery. This was a fuzzy mess of disappointment. The controls where intuitive and made me want vr time crisis. However the blurring and fuzziness put me off picking it up their and then. It also didn't seem 3D so to speak. More like I just had the screen really close to my face.

As a result I think I will pick up a pro first then grab vr when the ffxv vr stuff hits. Hopefully the pro helps aliviate some of the blurry aliasing.

I couldn't get it to fit snugly, had light coming in the top and bottom. Although I'm sure at home I'd get it set up better.

Did the ocean decent demo which was good, the screen door faded from my attention really quick and felt as if I was actually moving down with the cage. This sold me on getting it.

Then I played vr world's shooting gallery. This was a fuzzy mess of disappointment. The controls where intuitive and made me want vr time crisis. However the blurring and fuzziness put me off picking it up their and then. It also didn't seem 3D so to speak. More like I just had the screen really close to my face.

As a result I think I will pick up a pro first then grab vr when the ffxv vr stuff hits. Hopefully the pro helps aliviate some of the blurry aliasing.

You got your money back?

Carl

I've been singing Tethered's praise since I played it last month. Good to see it final out and getting some decent reviews. Check some out

If someone told you that you could play God in VR, you'd wanna try it out right? Well, get your mitts and your face on tethered because it's one of the best PS VR games we've played.
FIVE STARS
http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/feature/a799244/best-playstation-vr-games/

I personally wish it had a endless mode or a place where you can set the world options like map size etc. That aside you still get a lot of game for your money and is one of the best examples of VR gaming done right.
8.6/10
http://www.gertlushgaming.co.uk/2016/10/25/review-tethered-psvr/

Tethered stands on its own as a well-designed and beautifully crafted strategy game, but as a title for PlayStation VR, it represents the most well-rounded, complete, and enjoyable experience I've had thus far on the platform. At it's asking price, this is something that every VR owner should have in their library.
9/10
http://www.ps4playstation4.com/tethered-review

Despite the impossibility to use a PS Move, the lack of customization for the peeps, a sometimes awkward UI, and the absence of a save feature in the middle of a level, Tethered is a game that is well worth its price and provides many hours of fun, sadness, and awe.
8/10
http://www.playstationvr.us/tethered-review-psvr-feel-like-a-god/

Secret Sorcery's debut VR title Tethered does many things right and provides hours of fun game play. It's the first strategy/god game available for the PlayStation VR and if you happen to like those games, give it a shot!
84/100
http://www.massvr.info/playstation-vr-review-tethered/

Tethered is a delightful experience that shows the immense range of genres that can benefit from being brought to virtual reality. It boasts a playful and thoughtful approach to strategic god games whilst bringing you wholly into its world. For PSVR owners looking for something a little different, Tethered is utterly essential.
9/10
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2016/10/25/tethered-review/

Sounds like they didn't really tell you how to fit it, I rarely get light coming in from any angles now

I love this demo/game, my partner really felt scared once the door came off and started to panic

Not sure what this was? Something from London Heist? The game itself isn't the sharpest, but it's not quite a blurry mess thankfully, and Pro should help sharpen stuff up.

Shame Game charge for testing and I wished they would knock it off the price if you then decided to purchase within maybe 7 days of the testing.

Sounds like they didn't really tell you how to fit it, I rarely get light coming in from any angles now

I love this demo/game, my partner really felt scared once the door came off and started to panic

Not sure what this was? Something from London Heist? The game itself isn't the sharpest, but it's not quite a blurry mess thankfully, and Pro should help sharpen stuff up.

Shame Game charge for testing and I wished they would knock it off the price if you then decided to purchase within maybe 7 days of the testing.

He showed me the buttons etc on the headset and I remembered the advice on here about pulling the headset down a bit. Definitely could have fitted it on better though.

Yea the demo was a London heist shooting range. It was just odd how bad it was considering how good the ocean demo was. I will definitely be picking one up based on the ocean demo as I think it will only improve from now. Will just wait until next year as I will get a pro first.

I'm probably getting a PSVR on Halloween (which is my next payday). I already have Rez, Thumper, and Playroom VR downloaded to my PS4. I think I will get Until Dawn as I like lightgun shooters AND I really liked Until Dawn itself, though I know its tie to the main game is a stretch. The price isn't too bad, too. I already own Rise of the Tomb Raider but the VR mode included doesn't look good, but I'll probably still try it.

I'm considering EVE Valkyrie, but a couple of questions first: (a) I hear microtransactions can cause a huge gulf in capability between players and it's a PVP-oriented game? Is there actually a campaign that can be done or is it all online multi? Are the differences in capability of ships that profound? (b) Is it tied into main EVE in any way? I remember they were trying to launch a number of projects that tied back into EVE somehow, as sort of extensions of that game, is this one of them? I don't play EVE, just curious is all.

Rigs is also up for consideration. I know it's focused on multiplayer competitive but I think it does look fun. Doesn't sound like there's any level of microtransaction difference among players, too.

Anything else that should be up for consideration immediately? To note, I do think Superhypercube looks great but I'm having a hard time justifying the 29.99 price, so I think I will wait for a sale.

TheBear

Just picked up pixel gear which a fun little shooting gallery, albeit a bit basic. What is astonishing about it is the tracking. It is fucking spot on, no other game using the move comes close.
This tracking stuff is really confusing when you have polished games like job simulator working like shit and then you have this game out of nowhere having some of the best tracking on the system. Maybe it's to do with only one move controller?

Just picked up pixel gear which a fun little shooting gallery, albeit a bit basic. What is astonishing about it is the tracking. It is fucking spot on, no other game using the move comes close.
This tracking stuff is really confusing when you have polished games like job simulator working like shit and then you have this game out of nowhere having some of the best tracking on the system. Maybe it's to do with only one move controller?
I feel the same.

Beat it on normal because you'll need that accuracy on harder difficulties. Even the boss battles are different. Really bonkers how good the tracking is and how clear the details on the guns are. Being able to read tiny ammo amounts on the side of a gun is pretty stellar.

Worth the 8.5 bucks for sure.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Managed to get Batman working properly and 10 minutes later I'm chickening out haha. Really fun though, feels great to play.

The bit with Robin in the cage was great, and I proper jumped when the Croc dude jumped out at me. Then I went into the Asylum and started opening the doors and the Joker pops up, asking me to lean in to him. Noped out big time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom