• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaru

Germany here...does anyone know where I can get Playstation Move? It's sold out everywhere. Other people sell two for 120 Euros+ WTF

Cannot play Job Simulator or Batman without them. :(
check out amazon.fr, they ship to GER and they have it in stock :)

edit: oh, they are sold old over there also :/

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
How would you say the head tracking is compared to Vive? Is it similar? I know the Move controllers are not as precise as Vive's controllers but what about the actual headset?

This happened to me once when playing Until Dawn. I reset the processor box and it hasn't happened again.

Thanks... I might try going without the extender cable to see if maybe that's the problem. It couldn't have anything to do with the processor box connection to the TV, could it? It's an older HDMI to DVI connection. Maybe I'll also try taking that out of the equation.

elohel

Torn between spending more and potentially gaining more or losing more with Rigs or getting the batman game

I have 10 bucks left to put towards something

I haven't played a 2d game since! I seek out VR experiences even with games that are mediocre because the experience is that much better.

Lol, that is the worst thing about VR. Even games you know aren't that good, you still want to "experience" them. VR is a different thing to me. I need to watch my spending. I want to try it ALL!!!

Sidon

How would you say the head tracking is compared to Vive? Is it similar? I know the Move controllers are not as precise as Vive's controllers but what about the actual headset?

The head tracking is ok. I did notice some latency issues in the menu (cinematic mode?) sometimes, but in-game nothing really earth-shattering. That being said, I *never* experienced latency issues in the Vive, but yea, there's a price and tech difference.

Ozorov

Just tried Blood Ties VR in Tomb Raider and good lord is it impressive. I found myself multiple times just in awe exploring the mansion and taking in the sights. Even if it is just a pixel-hunt adventure, it looks astounding and I was surprised at how well the whole thing functions playing while standing and being able to duck down and peer closely at much of the detail.
Is that from the 20 year game? What do you do in it?
My PSVR is delivered now. Time to stare at it till November.
For the Pro?

Planet

Damn! I almost had the first code, shown as available, but every time I tried to click on Redeem I got...

And then it was gone. :(
Turns out, I know the dick that basically stole the code from right under my nose... It was me! XD

Even though I only got errors, it was redeemed and I found VEV on my download list when I looked for something else today. Thanks, m0dus! :]

My comments on the game: nice sense of scale, but it sure is hard to find those particles. Swam around in fresh water for quite some time, hardly finding any, eventually starving. Those light spots just give a vague hint. Sometimes those little enemies were difficult to shake off.

And I got slowly but surely more and more sweaty, then nauseous. Not much at first, but after 15 minutes I couldn't stomach any more and needed a break from VR. I can see why there is no tilting the view now...

And that was labeled as low impact on comfort, so I had to have a quick check of the blood level. It looks nice but those antibodies are so hard to avoid, seemingly attracting killer blood cells. Died twice in under a minute each, how am I supposed to collect a thousand kJ? Either I am missing some key elements of the game or it is hard as nails. Anyway, thanks again for the experience.

So those who had the PSVR for a few weeks, how is the experience going now? Do you still want to play it regularly?

The experience is still amazing. My biggest issue is I don't have much time currently so I'm craving for another round of RIGS or Driveclub all day long. And also Playroom VR. And then there's Tumble. And Sportsbar VR is another one I'd like to play.

In my case, the library is just too large to handle, which is amazing. I'll be entertained until 2017 without any new releases easily.

Edit: Oh and Robinson...

KORNdoggy

So those who had the PSVR for a few weeks, how is the experience going now? Do you still want to play it regularly? Or the initial enthusiasm is dying off after playing the titles a few times? Or do you still want to experience them often? Are you wanting more titles or had enough that it doesn't matter?

Just curious to see if this thing will be like a fad that Kinect/Move was.

I have not bought it yet, but I remember Move and how it was collecting dust after a few months. And don't want to spend $399 if that's how it would be.

Desperately want to keep playing...in fact its all i want to play now really. Just bought 2 more games...but...I have a headcold which causes VR to make me feel dizzy, something that doesn't happen when im 100%

Apt101

So Loading Human has numerous problems. Also the second game to give me a headache, after Drive Club. I don't recommend it.

vpance

Got Rigs last night but the drifting left and right kind of ruined the experience :| That and I actually felt a little sick after an hour or so, jumping and flying around everywhere. Guess I'm not as hardcore as I thought.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Got Rigs last night but the drifting left and right kind of ruined the experience :| That and I actually felt a little sick after an hour or so, jumping and flying around everywhere. Guess I'm not as hardcore as I thought.

I'm about to fire up Rigs. I've hardly played it.

Mawlok

I booted up Valkyrie for the first time the other day and holy shit, the first time you shoot out via the magnetic catapult I actually felt like I was there. This really is the future of immersion.

So those who had the PSVR for a few weeks, how is the experience going now? Do you still want to play it regularly? Or the initial enthusiasm is dying off after playing the titles a few times? Or do you still want to experience them often? Are you wanting more titles or had enough that it doesn't matter?

I have not bought it yet, but I remember Move and how it was collecting dust after a few months. And don't want to spend $399 if that's how it would be.
YMMV but I find myself more into it now that I was the initial weekend I got to play it. I'm super into Rigs now, that takes up as much of my time as any traditional game.

So... have any of you gotten motion sickness from this?
Nope and I've tried by driving real crazy in Driveclub and running around like a madman in Rigs. I think I'm immune from it.

Loving it. Not really that interested in standard games at the moment, though I did have a blast on one today for an hour whilst cooking and honestly would have preferred to be playing Thumper, but that requires absolute attention. Initially looking at the release window I wasn't that impressed, there was one or two that interested me but after experiencing a lot of them I would prefer to play them than the much hyped traditional releases coming up, I'm more interested in FF15's VR demo which I thought looked shit (still does) than I am the actual game.

I hated the Wii, Move and Kinect. Still dislike the Move and refuse to buy one until there is a must play experience. Not really into the standing in a room waving arms about stuff personally and most experiences for PSVR aren't that.

Games I'm going to be buying soon are Windlands, Tethered, Trackmania, Eagle Flight and Robinson: The Journey. Distance if it still set to release this year. Farpoint looks interesting so there is more than enough to play and very engaging. Not done with any of the games I bought and not started to play a few yet.

I could imagine those that are having tech or nausea would have dampened enthusiasm but I haven't had any of it. I was playing Thumper earlier and on 5-8 there is a bit where you don't have to do anything but the visuals are amazing and it felt exactly like coming up. Multiplayer as well is on a totally different level when everything clicks.

ckohler

The head tracking is ok. I did notice some latency issues in the menu (cinematic mode?) sometimes, but in-game nothing really earth-shattering. That being said, I *never* experienced latency issues in the Vive, but yea, there's a price and tech difference.

Do you ever experience head tracking problems on Vive resulting in "world wobble" aka that appearance you're on a boat at sea? How about with your PSVR?

Personally, I had terrible "world wobble" when I first got PSVR until I discovered that distance from the camera and its angle can help prevent it. I kinda figure the Vive doesn't ever have this issue but seeing as you didn't mention it about PSVR, maybe Vive does it too? Just curious.

Thanks for the feedback guys...this all sounds good and glad to see the experience has longer legs than Kinect/Move. Looks like, if games/content keeps coming this could be a real winner for Sony. I'll wait till early next year to see if they keep increasing the library at a decent pace and then jump in.

One more thing: I wish publishers start adding VR content to all the major games that come out. I guess this can happen, if it gains popularity and sells a lot of units.

PS: how long is the cable from the box to the helmet?

Teknoman

The sound cut out on me once when playing Until Dawn. I reset the processor box and it hasn't happened again.

How do you reset the processor box? Or do you mean just unplugging then replugging it?

It happened to me a couple times playing rez, but it seemed to happen out of nowhere.

Thanks... I might try going without the extender cable to see if maybe that's the problem. It couldn't have anything to do with the processor box connection to the TV, could it? It's an older HDMI to DVI connection. Maybe I'll also try taking that out of the equation.

Extender cable? Was that something that came with the headset, or just something you're using (HDMI to DVI)?

As for wanting to play more VR, I definitely do...but the problem is...I just want more substantial games for it. As of right now i've just got Rez and EVE Valkyrie. Speaking of, how is the online fairing in Valkyrie? Also doesnt the VR headset have a built in microphone?

So... have any of you gotten motion sickness from this?
I've been playing DriveclubVR no problems. Played demoes of RIGs, Rush of blood, Eve, Luge with no problems.

But Rez and that Scavenger game made me queasy.

Haven't seen many people having issues with Rez, but the twisting and turning in those games was bad for me.

Thanks for the feedback guys...this all sounds good and glad to see the experience has longer legs than Kinect/Move. Looks like, if games/content keeps coming this could be a real winner for Sony. I'll wait till early next year to see if they keep increasing the library at a decent pace and then jump in.

One more thing: I wish publishers start adding VR content to all the major games that come out. I guess this can happen, if it gains popularity and sells a lot of units.

Q. How long is the cable between the PS VR headset and the Processor Unit?

The cable between the PS VR headset and Processor Unit is made up of two parts – one that extends out of the headset itself, and the Headset Connection Cable. The total length of the two cables is approximately 14.4ft.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/10/03/playstation-vr-the-ultimate-faq/

Shoeless

It depends on whether Sony and their partners can keep up the software support. Everything is about that. My own opinion is that this has been a fantastic launch for a platform, but they need to keep supplying games of all genres and budgets. I don't want to see this turn into a Vita scenario where two years from now, Sony has given up on AAA experiences and it's all just smaller indie titles.

Right now, it doesn't look like that will happen, but it's my biggest concern. Sony and all their partners are going to be watching the public opinion and PS VR hardware and software sales numbers to see whether this is worth keeping the momentum going.

I had noticed a couple of times previously, playing the demo disk, that video would cut out like this. It flashes a grey noise picture before going back to the game.
Sounds like a dodgy HDMI connection. Normally there's no dynamic strain on these things, but since they're now connected to a human being in motion, that's no longer true. Double check all connections, and try replacing old cable.

Great detailed post a while back ckohler.

OMG I found out there's a game that lets you assume the role of a crew member on the bridge in the Star Trek universe and it's coming to PSVR. Oh please be good.

Yeah, it looks really cool for early next year.

I'm really torn right now -- the Wayward Sky demo was a lot better than I expected ... so, now I want that, Tethered, Pixel Gear, and Windlands-- not to mention how good Bound looks. Seriously, way too many games, way too short on funds.

Anyone have any feedback on any of those positive or negative that they'd like to share?

Wayward Sky is a little short and easy, but it's so good.

I felt ill during the tutorial section of RIGS. I don't know why because during the demo everything was fine for me. But during the tutorial of the main game, I felt extremely ill. Now, I did have a slightly upset stomach at the time but I am scared to go back into it. Any tips on how to improve that? I was using head turning and the left analog (right stick turning made it extremely worse.

Don't move them in front of your face. It's gonna break the headset tracking.

If you lose tracking if they're too high or too to the left/to the right, you need to be further away from the camera so it can see those move controllers at all times.

I've surprisingly not really had this be an issue when my hands naturally went that high a few times in Batman despite such a thing likely blocking atleast one of the lights on the headset. Perhaps I didn't keep them up there very long though or maybe it was one at a time and not both at once, not sure.

Yeah, it sounds like the camera might not be aimed as well as it could be or perhaps distance. I think I saw the playspace triange warning pop up for a second there.

I felt ill during the tutorial section of RIGS. I don't know why because during the demo everything was fine for me. But during the tutorial of the main game, I felt extremely ill. Now, I did have a slightly upset stomach at the time but I am scared to go back into it. Any tips on how to improve that? I was using head turning and the left analog (right stick turning made it extremely worse.

I think check the comfort settings options for changing how the FOV does or doesn't black out around you, which I recall they said you can adjust. I wouldn't be surprised if the defaults are different in the main game than the demo for how much it blacks out as you turn since I think the demo did it quite a bit from what I remember when I tried it. Someone with the full game already can probably be more specific though.

ckohler

How do you reset the processor box? Or do you mean just unplugging then replugging it?

Yes. Just unplug it, wait 10 seconds and then plug it back in. I'm not even sure that's what fixed it but trying that makes the most sense since the audio for the headphone on the PSVR is processed by that box.

Samus4145

Anyone use a capture card/device having issues with PSVR titles? I've been unable to record footage with my Avermedia LGX, as it fails to record entire sessions, plus has crazy static over the audio. Non VR games are fine.

rubes7844

Banned
Got the platinum for Playroom VR last night. What a really fun little game. Sony really need to expand on some of the games in that (especially the platformer, as we've been over before).

Having my girlfriend over for the last 4 days was fun playing co-op VR. Taking it in turns every 10 minutes or so. Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes was espcially fun for this (though we got pissed off with it when it got to the stage of having 4 needy knobs >_>)

Still really loving VR!

Anyone else looking forward to Tethered this week? :)

Do you need more than one player for the playroom plat?

Gemeanie

My backlog issue has gotten far worse because I keep going back to playing Rez VR and have not touched any non-VR game except the only time when I tried out 2D games in cinema mode.

Whether it'll end up a fad depends heavily on third party support though imo

ss_lemonade

Do all the VR games run at 60fps locked and up? Also, how's the quality of the oled display? I think the closest I've used at home was the first gen Samsung Gear VR headset with the Note 4 and that one was pretty blurry. Lastly, can I even wear my glasses with the headset?

So Loading Human has numerous problems. Also the second game to give me a headache, after Drive Club. I don't recommend it.

In my impressions I posted a day or two ago, i said the same thing about Loading Human. But you do get used to it. I felt quesey everytime you start moving and stop moving. But you do get your legs under you. It has a weird feeling. You have a body with legs and arms, but when you are walking, you dont see them cause you are probably looking forward. So you feel like you are floating through the air. It is a weird feeling and did give me a bit of motion sickness, so I limit my playtime with it. And that is really it for me with motion sickness, Loading Human is about the only one. Driveclub I just use bumper cam and feel like I'm zipping around sitting on the street with my ass.

I play Loading Human basically one "memory"/chapter at a time, or one save at a time, then move on to a new game until the next day or so.

Planet

the ball is brown instead of white.
Probably has just been exposed to sunlight a bit...

heavy_smoking_by_moon8vahy.png

BTW: go buy Tethered! It's all you'd want it to be.

Thanks for the detailed impressions. Seriously, especially since there are so many games out there to try for the platform.

Use it when enemies 'stick' to you, only if you can't shake them off (or, as I like to do, scrape them off on a nearby wall >:) ) generally though, since it costs you 50 Energy, I avoid using it unless absolutely necessary.

Yeah, only the particles (they are different colors in each stage to make sure they are easily visible). The green rods actually slow you down and will knock off your adherent particles, so dodge them at all costs.

Beat them to the food ;)

With regards to the tutorial -yeah, we did kind of take a 'throw em in the pool and let them swim" approach. Mostly because I hate guided tutorials so much. ;) We threw the audio prompts in there as well as the three intro screens in the calibration stage as well to offset that. I'm going to take one more look at how we've presented things, maybe move some elements around to make it easier for players.

Your assumptions are correct as far as the quick turn and quick flip - they wouldn't fly in VR because of the amount of nausea they would induce. The best solution is to turn up your camera speed. I think you're ready :)

The 'tunnel vision' effect you noticed is actually a factor of how fast you turn. It's an active vignette effect which decreases your peripheral vision the faster you are turning in 3D space, to minimize SDE / nausea. :)

The first thing I did in VR was look at the back of my chair.

It all makes sense, espcially with the controls I suggested. As for the shockwave and enemies sticking to you, I haven't had that experience yet so no wonder I didn't know what to do with it. May try to dive in again tonight.

And in my brief play of the Pond Water Sample, Wow. You feel so small with all those large algae formations. I am really impressed with what you all were able to pull off and only charging $4.99 for it. Any thoughts on Multiplayer in the future? Could be neat swimming around with friends while competing for food/particles.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Anyone use a capture card/device having issues with PSVR titles? I've been unable to record footage with my Avermedia LGX, as it fails to record entire sessions, plus has crazy static over the audio. Non VR games are fine.

I use a Hauppauge HD PVR 2, only issue is that it's never seems to spit out video at 59.97, so I have to run them through Handbrake, and then manually sync with my PIP screen. It's a hassle, but it's functional enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom