• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrcbandit

I've started using my old camera today. Same position and I'll be damned... far less issues than the new camera. Almost zero drifting. Maybe it's a placebo though...time for DF to clarify
I think it might be placebo. I tried both cameras and no real difference. One might be better than the other at longer distances, but at 4-5 feet they seemed the same to me.

Grinchy

Banned
I think it might be placebo. I tried both cameras and no real difference. One might be better than the other at longer distances, but at 4-5 feet they seemed the same to me.

Yeah I have both cameras here to mess with, along with 2 PSVR headsets, and I've found no difference whatsoever between the cameras. Distance has been the only consistent factor. It even seems like some games want to be closer to the camera than others, so having the camera in one place for all games seems to be a disadvantage.

ckohler

Yeah I have both cameras here to mess with, along with 2 PSVR headsets, and I've found no difference whatsoever between the cameras. Distance has been the only consistent factor. It even seems like some games want to be closer to the camera than others, so having the camera in one place for all games seems to be a disadvantage.
I agree with this assessment. I did not notice any difference between the two cameras. Distance from the camera and its height in relation to the headset seem to be the biggest factors.

Hey, I've been really enjoying PSVR so far - it is absolutely revolutionary as many people have stated. Question: how worthwhile is it to get the move controllers? Do I need to get them before I try the batman game? Here in Canada they are $130 for the two controllers and they were sold out of launch bundles. I've also looked at our online classifieds and most of them seem to have sold...

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Thanks for the impressions! Friend of mine bought it. Gonna try tonight ;)

That's it. That picture did it for me. As a kid, I used to go to a themapark over here in the Netherlands that still has a hall with Dioramas ( for Dutch Gaf, it's de Efteling ). I was blown away by that. We are talking the seventies here, but I'm still amazed by Dioramas. Buying this today 👍
Play the Playroom platformer (it's free) to get a great interactive diorama feel, is my advice. There's a really cool (free) movie (can't recall the name... sorry) but it's literally a moving diorama. So neat.

ckohler

I have $20 to burn on PSN. Which of these do you think gives the most bang for the buck?

Headmaster
Superhypercube
Tethered
Wayward Sky

Slixshot

Banned
My friend and I bought and beat until dawn rush of blood. Playing each level twice. That was fuckin awesome. There was just one level of the
seven
that we thought was mediocre. Everything else was a blast!

Hey, I've been really enjoying PSVR so far - it is absolutely revolutionary as many people have stated. Question: how worthwhile is it to get the move controllers? Do I need to get them before I try the batman game? Here in Canada they are $130 for the two controllers and they were sold out of launch bundles. I've also looked at our online classifieds and most of them seem to have sold...

It helps with the games that support it, but right now there are only a few that do. I would assume it's practically essential for Batman and I'd avoid playing the games that have the option until you can find them for cheap.

Slixshot

Banned
I have $20 to burn on PSN. Which of these do you think gives the most bang for the buck?

Headmaster
Superhypercube
Tethered
Wayward Sky

Superhypercube is the only one I have of those three... but it's so good. High replay value to just play a few rounds every day.

If you do end up getting it, add me on PSN for some leaderboard action!
PSN: SlixShot

Play the Playroom platformer (it's free) to get a great interactive diorama feel, is my advice. There's a really cool (free) movie (can't recall the name... sorry) but it's literally a moving diorama. So neat.

The movie is Alumette. So far my favorite VR experience. Its like having a miniature play performed in front of you. Plus you can position yourself wherever you want and get up close to the characters while they perform. Its an odd feeling, like little toys that came to life.

I personally wouldn't bother with Batman without the Move. Playing it with the DS4 changes it completely and doesn't feel nearly as immersive. Same with Until Dawn and VR Worlds.

cakely

Two move controllers seem mandatory for Batman VR, though the box shows that they are optional.

Being able to manipulate the environment with two "hands" is a critical part of the experience, IMO.

Fox1966

Neo Member
Thanks to all of you that recommended Tethered! It truly is amazing, and is my favorite out of all the launch titles that I've tried for PSVR. Words don't do it justice, it is something you have to experience!

Headmaster
Superhypercube
Tethered
Wayward Sky

Headmaster is fantastic imo. Especially if you like football.

I don't know about Tethered. Between the other 3 games, I would choose headmaster again.

Thanks guys. I'll wait on Batman until I can swing the Move controllers. Rez, Thumper, Rigs and Superhypercube should keep me busy until then :)

pfkas

Played level 2 of tethered. Got close to finishing but all my peeps committed mass suicide through hunger. Note to self, build more fields.

Damn you, now I've to order the old camera also :(. By old camera you mean the "flat" one right?

Yup, would love to see a comparison from DF :)

This almost sounds like another PS Vita scenario where the original model was made of higher quality, and subsequent models took a hit to that in order to bring manufacturing costs down.

Could be. Would be a strange move from Sony, but the strange thing is that the drifting is eliminated now.

The tutorial level covers all of the basics pretty well, IMO. The challenge comes in best utilizing your Peeps and when/how you use the resources they gather.

On my way home in 15 minutes..can't wait to try ;)

Maybe it is a placebo indeed, but I hardly have issues anymore.

Robot Recue and Alumette already played. So good! Thanks for recommending anyway :)

jrcbandit

I agree with this assessment. I did not notice any difference between the two cameras. Distance from the camera and its height in relation to the headset seem to be the biggest factors.

What seems to be the optimum height? I noticed that below the TV was not very good and a foot above the TV was also not all that great. I think on top of the TV might be best, but currently I'm trying on top of my receiver since that gives me an extra foot of distance to my chair (top of TV was too close to me). The result is the camera is about chin level and has worked great for everything other than Job Simulator.

Ozorov

What seems to be the optimum height? I noticed that below the TV was not very good and a foot above the TV was also not all that great. I think on top of the TV might be best, but currently I'm trying on top of my receiver since that gives me an extra foot of distance to my chair (top of TV was too close to me). The result is the camera is about chin level and has worked great for everything other than Job Simulator.

I think Sony recommends 140-150 cm-isch

dstarMDA

Does anyone kwow how long is Windlands ? Could not find anything on howlongtobeat or other forums.

I'm looking for a first meaty game to join Headmaster, Keep Talking, Batman and Tumble and I'm torn between this and Tethered.

I finally got to play Batman and... wow. That was much better than I was expecting. The way they handled the utility belt, the grapple... it really worked well. If they turned this into an episodic game where you went to crime scenes, without quite as much hand holding, it would be pretty awesome.

The sequence
where you are in the cell and the walls keep changing when you look away...
amazing. It's the kind of stuff that is trippy in movies, but borderline mind-blowing in VR.

The game does show the limitations of PSVR though. The lower resolution and some of the blur comes through with the character models. I think this gritty, detailed environment is not really the ideal one for PSVR. Still, the attention to detail and immersion is outstanding. This is the first time in a VR game that I tried to reach for something and got confused when I bumped into something in real life.

I don't think you can play Batman without the Move controllers. It says you need them on the box, plus some sequences require the use of both hands at once; I don't think they'd work even with a DS4 in each hand.

Ozorov

Is Batman VR getting a Pro mode? I was just curious, I haven't seen anything one way or the other.

No information about that yet. But it seems like some(?) developers are still under NDA regarding patches. I asked Insomniac yesterday about a patch for Ratchet and Clank and they said "Stay tuned". I really hope for a patch!

dochuge

For those with Brookhaven, is there any progression or goals in the game? Unlocks? I know it's a wave shooter but still unclear if there are overall missions and goals. I'm on the fence with this one.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
It's weird how everything looks razor-sharp, perfectly clean and more detailed when you put it right up to your virtual face. The Batman character models look incredible when you shrink them to doll size and get right against them.
I know it's not just Batman because everything in Alumette looks much better way up close too.
And Wayward Sky. Those are the only ones I've really tried it with.

dukebluto

Neo Member
I finally got to play Batman and... wow. That was much better than I was expecting. The way they handled the utility belt, the grapple... it really worked well. If they turned this into an episodic game where you went to crime scenes, without quite as much hand holding, it would be pretty awesome.

The sequence
amazing. It's the kind of stuff that is trippy in movies, but borderline mind-blowing in VR.

The game does show the limitations of PSVR though. The lower resolution and some of the blur comes through with the character models. I think this gritty, detailed environment is not really the ideal one for PSVR. Still, the attention to detail and immersion is outstanding. This is the first time in a VR game that I tried to reach for something and got confused when I bumped into something in real life.

I don't think you can play Batman without the Move controllers. It says you need them on the box, plus some sequences require the use of both hands at once; I don't think they'd work even with a DS4 in each hand.

Is playable with the DS4, the game is adapted to play with it :)

Fnord

The sequence

I was equally blown away by Batman. In fact, it's the first time I've had that experience that I've heard others talk about in VR. I was standing on the edge of a skyscraper platform looking at another character dangling from a rope and I wanted to see what the street level looked like. I slowly and carefully inched toward the edge of the platform - actually worried about falling off. I had to remind myself mentally that none of this was real. Blew my mind.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I was equally blown away by Batman. In fact, it's the first time I've had that experience that I've heard others talk about in VR. I was standing on the edge of a skyscraper platform looking at another character dangling from a rope and I wanted to see what the street level looked like. I slowly and carefully inched toward the edge of the platform - actually worried about falling off. I had to remind myself mentally that none of this was real. Blew my mind.

Trackmania Turbo is going to be absolutely terrifying for some people.

Ozorov

Trackmania Turbo is going to be absolutely terrifying for some people.

tumblr_inline_muuc4vTMNO1ryb0hd.gif

...that TT will not make me motion sick

jobrro

Played level 2 of tethered. Got close to finishing but all my peeps committed mass suicide through hunger. Note to self, build more fields.

Yeah this happened to me on maybe the 4th level towards the start. I think you don't learn how to make fields for a while on that one so ended up running out of food.

Also try changing the field to potatos, get more food from each crop.

Does anyone kwow how long is Windlands ? Could not find anything on howlongtobeat or other forums.

I'm looking for a first meaty game to join Headmaster, Keep Talking, Batman and Tumble and I'm torn between this and Tethered.

Depends as it isn't that structured it is more of a playground with different things to do that unlock other things. If you rushed it and only went for the crystals not long at all but would depend on your ability. There are the challenges which you unlock by collecting the crystals and loads (in the hundreds) of stone tablets to collect which will take a good while to discover. I spent about 4 hours in the game without collecting a single crystal just exploring and experimenting. I have about 15hrs on the game so far and on the last area. I will probably get the crystals and do the challenges then go through the game picking up all the tablets, then do the game on easy and hard mode as well. Though the stone tablets are your standard collectables they don't feel that way as you are required to be inventive and thoughtful in your approach to collecting most of them and actually fun to collect.

SJRB

Gold Member
Fakking hell, the sequence in the second zone in Windlands with all the pipes is impossible. Spent at least an hour trying. Brutal.

Ammogeddon

Just got Windlands and jumped into full locomotion control. Great game but by god I feel queezy now, all my fault though.

I've purchased so many VR games now.....must......stop....

Kilau

Has Sony said if the Pro will improve existing VR games without the need for patches or is it the same as regular PS4 games?

Has Sony said if the Pro will improve existing VR games without the need for patches or is it the same as regular PS4 games?

It will be the same, games need a patch but as PSVR has only just come out and Pro is out in around 2 weeks, most games will be getting a patch anyway.

Fliesen

seeing as console games are almost always written and optimized around a certain hardware spec, i don't think ANYTHING will benefit from the PS4 Pro's power without the software being specifically updated to do so.

Seeing as how VR would be even more strictly optimized (locked frame rates to avoid nausea) locked(?) resolution to warrant a high frame rate, i would guess it'd be even less likely on PSVR than it would be on games that run at an unlocked framerate.

and i presume, going forward, every game will need to have a (pro) mode anyways. So the only games that would need a patch are the first month of PSVR games, and those should be "fresh" enough that most devs will surely provide a pro update.

Planet

Why would it be any different than with regular games? Of course not.

That said, almost all VR games were / are released in October or later. We already have confirmation for many (most?) of the existing titles to be Pro enhanced. I wouldn't be surprised if the leak was correct and they all will be.

Spades

Just payed EVE: Valkyrie for the first time. Holy Jesus is this game good. Was a little worried going in that I'd get sick playing it (felt quite queasy after Scavenger last week) but didn't feel nauseous at all. I can see myself spending many, many hours on this game! Is there a GAF squad or anything?

Also tried out:

Pixel Gear - great concept, works really well, but very dull game overall. Had me praying for a new Time Crisis, Point Blank and/or HotD, though!

Job Simulator demo - very much enjoyed the short demo, but I felt that the motions weren't as accurately tracked as every other game I've played.

PlayRoom VR - only played the platformer but it was great. All the time, all I could think about was how amazing this would be if it was Mario VR...

Moreche

I'm trying the RIGS demo and when I look at the bottom of the VR screen there is a black border that cuts off my vision.
Is this on purpose.

dw.og

Prior to PSVR, my first and only other VR related experience was with Google Cardboard and my Phone 6. Needless to say, going into PSVR I was somewhat concerned but as soon as I put the headset on and entered the menu screen for PSVR Worlds I literally started laughing in amazement. The thing I most try to convey to people who haven't yet experienced PSVR is that, unlike Google Cardboard, it's not just like having a screen in front of your face. You're seriously in another world. You're entire surrounding reality become something else completely. It's incredible. While VR is still an emerging technology with lots of potential for improvement, the visual fidelity and the sense of presence and immersion that's available now is deeply compelling.

For me, the move controllers make half the experience. Being able to interact with objects in VR as you would in RL is completely surreal. Coincidentally, my favorite launch titles are London Heist and Batman Arkham. I think these two games in particular, though more so the former, showcase the potential VR has for becoming a powerful storytelling medium, and that's really exciting.

Has anyone played the Assembly? How is that? Are there any similar launch titles? What about Sports Bar VR? I really wish every VR game had a demo.

I tired to play the Kitchen last night but immediately closed the application as soon as the demo started and I saw how real the surrounding environment was. Not surprising though as I'm not a fan of horror games and don't want to be scared senseless alone in my apartment in the middle of the night. Pretty much any kind of game involving motion separate from the HDM has induced instant nausea for me. RIGS was the worst offender.

Also, is there any way to navigate though menus using the move controllers? How about tips for eliminating or reducing in-game camera sway or the environment warping when moving your head? I sit about 6 feet from my TV and the camera is positioned on top of my TV about several inches where my head would be. When I performed initial calibrations I made sure that the camera was registering where my head would be positioned.

seeing as console games are almost always written and optimized around a certain hardware spec, i don't think ANYTHING will benefit from the PS4 Pro's power without the software being specifically updated to do so.

Seeing as how VR would be even more strictly optimized (locked frame rates to avoid nausea) locked(?) resolution to warrant a high frame rate, i would guess it'd be even less likely on PSVR than it would be on games that run at an unlocked framerate.

and i presume, going forward, every game will need to have a (pro) mode anyways. So the only games that would need a patch are the first month of PSVR games, and those should be "fresh" enough that most devs will surely provide a pro update.

I really hope most games going forward will probably have dynamic resolution scaling so that if we still have backwards compatibility on PS5, PS4 games might auto-upres. At least that's my hope.

Kilau

It will be the same, games need a patch but as PSVR has only just come out and Pro is out in around 2 weeks, most games will be getting a patch anyway.

Okay, Thank you. That's what I was thinking but wasn't sure if I had missed something announced lately since people seemed to be more excited about Pro and PSVR for some reason.

As other have said, the only launch game I really feel needs some help is Driveclub which is also probably the least likely to get a Pro patch.

I'm trying the RIGS demo and when I look at the bottom of the VR screen there is a black border that cuts off my vision.
Is this on purpose.

Disable comfort tuning.

When it asks you if you are new or experienced - go with experienced at the start of the demo.

Comfort tuning does lower the FoV to prevent some motion sickness.

Fliesen

I really hope most games going forward will probably have dynamic resolution scaling so that if we still have backwards compatibility on PS5, PS4 games might auto-upres. At least that's my hope.

90% of current PSVR games are such 'experience' games that i don't mind them never receiving a graphical update (not like i'm gonna go back to playing Arkham VR, for example) ... what i do hope would be that - if they were to release PSVR 2.0 (and/or camera and/or move controllers) that maybe introduced more consistent positional tracking, for older games to make use of said improved tracking without the games needing to be updated.

Playing Arkham VR in a higher resolution contributes less to the experience than having absolutely flawless tracking of your head, body and hands.
Okay, Thank you. That's what I was thinking but wasn't sure if I had missed something announced lately since people seemed to be more excited about Pro and PSVR for some reason.

As other have said, the only launch game I really feel needs some help is Driveclub which is also probably the least likely to get a Pro patch.

what? how so? i actually believe it's among the most likely.

bumpkin

Just payed EVE: Valkyrie for the first time. Holy Jesus is this game good. Was a little worried going in that I'd get sick playing it (felt quite queasy after Scavenger last week) but didn't feel nauseous at all. I can see myself spending many, many hours on this game! Is there a GAF squad or anything?

Also tried out:

Pixel Gear - great concept, works really well, but very dull game overall. Had me praying for a new Time Crisis, Point Blank and/or HotD, though!

Job Simulator demo - very much enjoyed the short demo, but I felt that the motions weren't as accurately tracked as every other game I've played.

PlayRoom VR - only played the platformer but it was great. All the time, all I could think about was how amazing this would be if it was Mario VR...
Same here, man. Same here.

I'll tell you what would be possible though, a new Knack in VR. I'd buy that in a heartbeat. I actually really enjoyed Knack despite its simplicity.

jobrro

Wait is it confirmed that the pro will improve VR somehow?

Most or all the games will be patched for Pro. Enhancements may any combination of more effects, increased resolution, supersampling, increased framerate depending on the title.

Some games already seem sharp like Playroom VR whereas other games will probably get a more noticeable boost like Driveclub VR which is probably running at a lower resolution on the base system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom