• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

somme

Playroom VR was great, had lots of fun with my GF. Any other girlfriend-friendly coop games for PSVR out there? :)

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes. Always works well as a drinking game with friends. :D

Trying to explain how to disarm a bomb whilst blind drunk is pretty fun.

bumpkin

Thanks for the impressions! Friend of mine bought it. Gonna try tonight ;)

That's it. That picture did it for me. As a kid, I used to go to a themapark over here in the Netherlands that still has a hall with Dioramas ( for Dutch Gaf, it's de Efteling ). I was blown away by that. We are talking the seventies here, but I'm still amazed by Dioramas. Buying this today 👍
You will not be sorry! The moment I was dropped into the world and the first Peep egg ascended from the heavens, hatched and it waved at me, I grinned ear to ear. It was the most charming moment I've experienced with the PSVR.

Tendo

Found a launch bundle at walmart last night so I jumped on it even though my Pro won't be here until the 10th. So excited to finally get into VR.

How is finding matches in valkyrie? Are there enough players that it works out ok?

I hope they patch out that big warning that I'm not in the playing field in Tethered. It pops up way too soon and you can still look at everything really up close.... Just with a big red box in your face.

Found a launch bundle at walmart last night so I jumped on it even though my Pro won't be here until the 10th. So excited to finally get into VR.

How is finding matches in valkyrie? Are there enough players that it works out ok?
I've been sitting on a PSVR since it launch, waiting patiently for the Pro to come! We're getting close now!

Ozorov

I've been sitting on a PSVR since it launch, waiting patiently for the Pro to come! We're getting close now!

I got a PS4 (Pro on the way) but no PSVR since it's sold out here. I've already paid for it.

tumblr_o5qo8gC6bq1u6tccbo1_320.gif

I've come to the conclusion that games which lock the camera if you move past a certain area should really stop doing that.

Until Dawn is a huge offender as the virtual box your camera is clamped inside is relatively small.

Like if you want to look over your cart and lean forward, when you hit the edge of the cart the camera locks and if you keep moving forward the view locks. Really unsettling.

Just pop a warning. Still a great game but yeah, you shouldn't lock the camera while moving.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Tethered has got to be the most VR comfortable game on PSVR at the moment. I really hope more table top type games are being developed.

Orcastar

Been doing some experimenting today in an attempt to eliminate drift. Moved the camera from the top of the TV (about 115 cm off the floor) to the bottom (around 50 cm) and placed the headset on a non-swivel chair approximately 160 cm away from the camera. Launched the Battlezone demo and left it running for around half an hour with the headset motionless on the chair. No drift whatsoever, even though normally Battlezone always drifts to the left.

Next I launched Rez Infinite and left it running in trance mode with the headset motionless on the chair again for around half an hour. Again, no drift whatsoever, even though Rez always drifts to the right when I actually play it.

After that I put the headset on and proceeded to do a full playthrough of Rez in direct assault mode, making sure that my view was centred at the beginning. Sure enough, by the time I finished the game my view had drifted very noticeably to the right again.

Finally I booted up Battlezone again and played through the demo. By the end my view had drifted at least 30 degrees to the left.

I really don't know what to make of these results. Why do different games drift in different directions? In any case I don't know what else I can do. Camera position makes no difference. Distance makes no difference. Lighting makes no difference. Having the camera pointed in a different direction makes no difference. Really frustrating.

You will not be sorry! The moment I was dropped into the world and the first Peep egg ascended from the heavens, hatched and it waved at me, I grinned ear to ear. It was the most charming moment I've experienced with the PSVR.

The problem is...I'm not really into strategy games, but this seems to good to pass.Gonna try it :)

bumpkin

The problem is...I'm not really into strategy games, but this seems to good to pass.Gonna try it :)
If you're curious what basic game play is like before you buy, I'm sure there's plenty of videos on YouTube by now.

I'm not into strategy games either, but all of the positivity around the title here in this thread and the reviews out there won me over.

If you're curious what basic game play is like before you buy, I'm sure there's plenty of videos on YouTube by now.

I'm not into strategy games either, but all of the positivity around the title here in this thread and the reviews out there won me over.

Yeah, same for me. Everyone is raving about the game, so that must mean something right? Is the game easy enough for newcomers?

Playroom VR was great, had lots of fun with my GF. Any other girlfriend-friendly coop games for PSVR out there? :)

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes is ace. It's an IGF award winning game for best design. Don't sleep on it! Tons of fun with multiple players, and especially with couples.

Been doing some experimenting today in an attempt to eliminate drift. Moved the camera from the top of the TV (about 115 cm off the floor) to the bottom (around 50 cm) and placed the headset on a non-swivel chair approximately 160 cm away from the camera. Launched the Battlezone demo and left it running for around half an hour with the headset motionless on the chair. No drift whatsoever, even though normally Battlezone always drifts to the left.

Next I launched Rez Infinite and left it running in trance mode with the headset motionless on the chair again for around half an hour. Again, no drift whatsoever, even though Rez always drifts to the right when I actually play it.

After that I put the headset on and proceeded to do a full playthrough of Rez in direct assault mode, making sure that my view was centred at the beginning. Sure enough, by the time I finished the game my view had drifted very noticeably to the right again.

Finally I booted up Battlezone again and played through the demo. By the end my view had drifted at least 30 degrees to the left.

I really don't know what to make of these results. Why do different games drift in different directions? In any case I don't know what else I can do. Camera position makes no difference. Distance makes no difference. Lighting makes no difference. Having the camera pointed in a different direction makes no difference. Really frustrating.

All evidence points to it being Gyro-based positional drifting. That's why it won't drift if it's just sitting static. I just don't know enough about the topic to say whether or not this can even be patched! At the very least it would be nice to have working re-calibration to go back to horizontal-center in any game this happens.

FTF

Played at a friends house for a couple of hours and it was amazing. Batman VR and Thumper blew me away. The immersion is unbelievable and I'm totally hooked. Going to pick up a launch bundle (when I can find one) for sure now.

Also tried all the other demos on the VR worlds disk...Rez and the underwater one were also very, very cool, so was Driveclub, but some of the faster moving ones do bother me a little. The only one that really gave me motion sickness was Here They Lie. I think it was the flashlight moving and your head moving at the same time or something, but it bothered me.

Anyway, I'm sold and hooked and I can't wait for things to evolve over the years.

CyberChulo

Windlands.

How do you guys who play with all comforts off get used to it? I want an iron stomach like yours. Need some tips. Should I just play with it 5 minutes at a time until I no longer get nausea?

Crumbtiny

So my wife and i are having a Halloween party tonight and I'm sure people will want to try out PSVR. Any thoughts on what a good first experience for people might be? My best friend has PSVR too and he and his wife are pretty experienced gamers. Everyone else, not so much, about 10 other people will be here.

In the spirit of the evening I"m sure some souls will be brave enough to try The Kitchen demo (lol, which I haven't even done). And Until Dawn might be fun for some people who feel pretty comfortable with the Move controllers. My in-laws enjoyed the Ocean experience when they were here last weekend, so I'm sure some folks could try that.

I have PSVR Worlds, Until Dawn, Pixel Gear, and of course the demo disc and the playroom. I'm sure that's plenty. I thought about Batman VR, but I've had tracking issues with Until Dawn, London Heist, and the Job Simulator demo and had to do a lot of recalibrating and positioning to get them to work a little better.

Any thoughts or your own experiences on good introductory VR experiences?

I've not felt compelled to buy any full games yet, but Tethered looks interesting. When is the next wave of game releases?

Next Week:

We have CoD "Jackal Assault" mission (WW), O! My Génesis (US), Moto Racer 4 (EU), Touhou Koubuto V (JP)

Then on Nov 8, we have:

Eagle Flight, Robinson: The Journey, TrackMania Turbo and Holoball (maybe)

Fliesen

i'm on island 4 of thethered now and i keep getting bugged peeps that just aren't "clickable" (tetherable...) after being hatched from their eggs. regardless of whether they're being hatched by another peep or via sun-rays.

been trying to improve my score on the tutorial map - once you get a hang of the base mechanics, 'advanced' stuff like boosting your peeps with the wind cloud or sniping critters with the lightning cloud really comes into play.

What are the other effects on peeps btw? rain gives a short speed boost (so it's basically a less useful wind alternative?), frost gives a shield, sun makes them happy?

anything beyond the tavern that can heal peeps?

JSR_Cube

i'm on island 4 of thethered now and i keep getting bugged peeps that just aren't "clickable" (tetherable...) after being hatched from their eggs. regardless of whether they're being hatched by another peep or via sun-rays.

been trying to improve my score on the tutorial map - once you get a hang of the base mechanics, 'advanced' stuff like boosting your peeps with the wind cloud or sniping critters with the lightning cloud really comes into play.

What are the other effects on peeps btw? rain gives a short speed boost (so it's basically a less useful wind alternative?), frost gives a shield, sun makes them happy?

anything beyond the tavern that can heal peeps?

I've had that bug too but it doesn't last long and I can eventually select them.

Rainbow heals all effects AFAIK. It is also the only thing that can save the peeps when they are suicidal.

Thanks for the experiment. I would say this drift is the worst aspect of PSVR and I sincerely hope it is able to be fixed on the software side. Rigs is my main game right now and a few rounds in my view starts drifting to the side and it's incredibly frustrating.

It doesn't make any sense to me that drift this bad is even possible when you have two cameras watching the headset. The PS4 should know I haven't turned my head 30 degrees from where I started.

Next Week:

We have CoD "Jackal Assault" mission (WW), O! My Génesis (US), Moto Racer 4 (EU), Touhou Koubuto V (JP)

Then on Nov 8, we have:

Eagle Flight, Robinson: The Journey, TrackMania Turbo and Holoball (maybe)
When is Moto Racer 4 coming to NA? I think it looks amazing for VR and no one seems to be talking about it.

Fliesen

I've had that bug too but it doesn't last long and I can eventually select them.

Rainbow heals all effects AFAIK. It is also the only thing that can save the peeps when they are suicidal.

oh, cool. i always just rage-restarted after being unable to select them for ... 10 seconds.

robotrock

Banned
Windlands.

How do you guys who play with all comforts off get used to it? I want an iron stomach like yours. Need some tips. Should I just play with it 5 minutes at a time until I no longer get nausea?

Yep, that's one way to do it.

But you need to ask yourself first: Is Windlands really worth it?

SJRB

Gold Member
Windlands.

I don't know man, zero issues from the very start. Immediately disabled all the safety settings, so disabled cage and activated fully seamless turning [horizontal sensitivity set to about 15% though].

I guess Driveclub VR taught me to handle fast locomotion gameplay, I can play Windlands for hours without any problems whatsoever.

Yep, that's one way to do it.

But you need to ask yourself first: Is Windlands really worth it?

Eh, yeah? Windlands is amazing.

antibolo

Banned
I guess I should count myself lucky, as I haven't really gotten any real drifting issues so far. I do recenter once in a while, but it's really just tweaking some small drifting. Yesterday I played 3 levels of Rez and never recentered at all.

On the other hand I do get a lot of whobble though. Well only a little from the headset (only noticeable when looking are something close sideways from the front), but my controllers (both DS4 and Move) are crazy wobble-city, GB stream style. It's distracting, but it does not screw up gameplay too much so I've come to just not care about it.

Codiox

Holy fucking shit Batman VR is by far the best vr game. The quality is so fucking high. Graphics are top notch, and it make full use of the moves and vr in general. I'm really an idiot to wait so long to get this. Should had buy this day 1. The feeling is so real.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Uffff...Just played Rez Area X. That was probably my first real 'wow' in VR. Great stuff. I don't know why, but I don't get any motion sickness or uncomfortable sensation in this in the way I did in some of the demos earlier. Maybe Rez is handling motion better, or maybe I'm just getting more used to it. It really makes me want to upgrade my headphones. I also can't wait to play it with Pro (I believe it will downsample for VR on Pro?)

(On another note: I seem to have solved my video/audio problems with PSVR by disabling HDCP in the PS4 system settings. So far at least :))

El-Suave

So my wife and i are having a Halloween party tonight and I'm sure people will want to try out PSVR. Any thoughts on what a good first experience for people might be? My best friend has PSVR too and he and his wife are pretty experienced gamers. Everyone else, not so much, about 10 other people will be here.

In the spirit of the evening I"m sure some souls will be brave enough to try The Kitchen demo (lol, which I haven't even done). And Until Dawn might be fun for some people who feel pretty comfortable with the Move controllers. My in-laws enjoyed the Ocean experience when they were here last weekend, so I'm sure some folks could try that.

I have PSVR Worlds, Until Dawn, Pixel Gear, and of course the demo disc and the playroom. I'm sure that's plenty. I thought about Batman VR, but I've had tracking issues with Until Dawn, London Heist, and the Job Simulator demo and had to do a lot of recalibrating and positioning to get them to work a little better.

Any thoughts or your own experiences on good introductory VR experiences?

You're pretty much set with the games you have. Consider Headmaster, it has group play for up to 6 people and everybody should understand it immediately. The solo campaign is really funny, too. It also shouldn't be too demanding as far as tracking is concerned despite being pretty precise.

I gave Tethered a whirl tonight after watching my wife play it for a bit. She sorely understated how fucking cool it is when you have the headset on. It's relatively average seeing it on the TV, but when you have the headset on, you're right there in the world and feel like you can reach out and touch the Peeps and the world around them. I feel like every time I try a new PSVR game, I'm always quick to proclaim it "the most immersive PSVR game," but seriously, Tethered is legit.

Since it's hard to put into words how the sense of immersion feels, this picture most accurately portrays it:

model-train-set-at-toy-train-depot-museum-picture-id149699857

...but man, do you feel like a sack of shit when you screw up and a Peep offs himself.

Has someone made a game for train sets like in that image? That would be awesome in VR...

Shoeless

Thanks for the experiment. I would say this drift is the worst aspect of PSVR and I sincerely hope it is able to be fixed on the software side. Rigs is my main game right now and a few rounds in my view starts drifting to the side and it's incredibly frustrating.

If the drifting is not occurring when the headset is stationary, then is it possible that it's gyroscopic information that's causing the drift? I'm assuming that the headset probably does use some kind of gyro system to aid with detecting tilts and such, maybe its the accumulation of that movement data that's eventually causing the drift issues.

I've started using my old camera today. Same position and I'll be damned... far less issues than the new camera. Almost zero drifting. Maybe it's a placebo though...time for DF to clarify

Ozorov

I've started using my old camera today. Same position and I'll be damned... far less issues than the new camera. Almost zero drifting. Maybe it's a placebo though...time for DF to clarify

Damn you, now I've to order the old camera also :(. By old camera you mean the "flat" one right?

Flandy

I can't get over how fun Windlands. It's like a 3D platformer x Spider-Man game but you're really there. It's so good. If you have the stomach for it I really recommend windlands. Might be my favorite Game yet. Can't wait until they add move support

Shoeless

This almost sounds like another PS Vita scenario where the original model was made of higher quality, and subsequent models took a hit to that in order to bring manufacturing costs down.

Damn you, now I've to order the old camera also :(. By old camera you mean the "flat" one right?

You don't have to. Especially as you said earlier you don't have a PSVR yet. I have the new camera and not a single issue on my end besides when sunlight directly hits the camera, which I have now worked out where to place the camera to avoid from happening.

On another note I hope Redout gets PSVR support.

bumpkin

Yeah, same for me. Everyone is raving about the game, so that must mean something right? Is the game easy enough for newcomers?
The tutorial level covers all of the basics pretty well, IMO. The challenge comes in best utilizing your Peeps and when/how you use the resources they gather.

This almost sounds like another PS Vita scenario where the original model was made of higher quality, and subsequent models took a hit to that in order to bring manufacturing costs down.

If that was actually the case, this would have been confirmed a long time ago.

Played through all of Batman VR last night still thinking about the experience today. It’s still strange to realize that VR is a thing now at home.

Hale-XF11

Played through all of Batman VR last night still thinking about the experience today. It’s still strange to realize that VR is a thing now at home.

If you had told me just 5 years ago that we'd have VR at home on consoles in the next gen, I'd have told you to GTFO! Not happening. But here we are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom