• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moreche

Disable comfort tuning.

When it asks you if you are new or experienced - go with experienced at the start of the demo.

Comfort tuning does lower the FoV to prevent some motion sickness.
Thanks but is not that, it's like the bottom of my view is cut off by a black border but not the sides or top.

Kilau

what? how so? i actually believe it's among the most likely.

Because Evolution is gone and the Driveclub team has moved on to another project at Codemasters, at least according to Rushy.

I really do want a pro version of it though. The sense of driving is amazing, it's just a bit rough on the eyes.

Yes Sony could handle it all internally, we will see I guess.

farisr

Because Evolution is gone and the Driveclub team has moved on to another project at Codemasters, at least according to Rushy.

I really do want a pro version of it though. The sense of driving is amazing, it's just a bit rough on the eyes.

Driveclub VR Pro patch is already confirmed, but it won't take full advantage of the Pro's power according to Rushy.

ckohler

Superhypercube is the only one I have of those three... but it's so good. High replay value to just play a few rounds every day.

Headmaster is fantastic imo. Especially if you like football. don't know about Tethered.

Thanks guys. These are probably my main two. Need to decide. Tethered looks good but RTS isn't my style of gameplay. No comments on Wayward Skys makes me think it's not too noteworthy.

What seems to be the optimum height? I noticed that below the TV was not very good and a foot above the TV was also not all that great. I think on top of the TV might be best, but currently I'm trying on top of my receiver since that gives me an extra foot of distance to my chair (top of TV was too close to me). The result is the camera is about chin level and has worked great for everything other than Job Simulator.

Sony recommends around 4 feet 7 inches. Personally, I think it works best when the camera is about the same height as the headset so it's looking directly at it and you are no more than 5 feet away.

LowSignal

Hey, I've been really enjoying PSVR so far - it is absolutely revolutionary as many people have stated. Question: how worthwhile is it to get the move controllers? Do I need to get them before I try the batman game? Here in Canada they are $130 for the two controllers and they were sold out of launch bundles. I've also looked at our online classifieds and most of them seem to have sold...

I think the move controllers are a must. That said I sold mine after playing the demo disk, Rush of Blood,Batman and worlds. Just wasn't cool enough for me to justify the cost, i'll put that money towards PS4pro.

But Cerny said it only takes one programmer to do a pro patch, so Rushy could do it by himself if he wanted to :p

Bergsy

I find myself sneaking on my psvr, put my daughter to bed, chill with the gf then once she's asleep I'm on it or i get up an extra hour early to play. Haven't felt this way since my n64 and mario. I'm 33 btw.

Loving the immersion.

Thewonandonly

Just put some time in scavenger and it's incredible...

For about 20 minutes then I started feeling sick from all the jumping. Mabey it's cause I'm really really high or Mabey it's just the game.

bumpkin

Just put some time in scavenger and it's incredible...

For about 20 minutes then I started feeling sick from all the jumping. Mabey it's cause I'm really really high or Mabey it's just the game.
I don't know if you are or ever were a fan, but doesn't Scavenger's Odyssey make you pine for a Metroid game in VR?

cilonen

Thanks guys. These are probably my main two. Need to decide. Tethered looks good but RTS isn't my style of gameplay. No comments on Wayward Skys makes me think it's not too noteworthy.

Sony recommends around 4 feet 7 inches. Personally, I think it works best when the camera is about the same height as the headset so it's looking directly at it and you are no more than 5 feet away.

Wayward Sky is great. It's a charming diorama game solving puzzles to progress and controlling various robots around the world.

If I had to liken it to anything it's a bit like the iOS game Monument Valley but not optical illusion based and with a very different aesthetic.

I really like it.

Wayward Sky is great. It's a charming diorama game solving puzzles to progress and controlling various robots around the world.

If I had to liken it to anything it's a bit like the iOS game Monument Valley but not optical illusion based and with a very different aesthetic.

I really like it.

Same here. Enjoyed Wardward Sky a lot. Great game and very underestimated imo.

Just started with Tethered although I have zero strategygames experience. Game feel great though :)
Is there no save function? Rough day at work and my eyes are getting sleepy :)

Unison

I bought Tethered and Carnival Games.

Carnival Games is simple but the controls work well in almost every event (skee ball is the one thing that seems iffy). It seems like a nice value for $20, since there are 12 minigames included, one of which (Wall Climbing) is legitimately awesome. I wish they released a full version of that Wall Climbing game. It's very immersive, controls great, and gives a cool feeling of vertigo at times.

Tethered definitely feels like a "real game", which is nice amidst all of the glorified demos on PSVR so far. I only did the tutorial so far, but it's a beautiful game that's a real change of pace from the other things I've played. I'm glad I took the plunge.

Quick question.
Super Stardust Ultra(PS4 $12.99) on the PS store already has PSVR support for the regular game right?

I see Super Stardust Ultra VR for $19.99 but I heard it wasn't really good so I'm thinking of skipping it.

Unison

I have some complete non-gamer friends coming by later... Is there anything people would recommend showing them to demo PSVR?

I don't have PSVR Worlds, although I do have the demo disc.... Just wondering if there's anything cooler than the 1st part of Undersea for such purposes?

Also, is there any way to navigate though menus using the move controllers?
I needed help with this also as I'm new to the Move controllers. Hold down the trigger button and just aim where you want to go. I'm still learning to use it. I don't see any cross hairs in menus so that's a bit confusing and looking at a leaderboard it asked me to press L1 or R1 to change the leaderboards. There is no L1 or R1 on the Move is there?

I have some complete non-gamer friends coming by later... Is there anything people would recommend showing them to demo PSVR?

I don't have PSVR Worlds, although I do have the demo disc.... Just wondering if there's anything cooler than the 1st part of Undersea for such purposes?

The descent is a great choice. SuperHyperCube will be pretty great too I guess. Robot Rescue from Playroom is mandatory. Don't go for the Kitchen demo or Until Dawn. You wanna entertain not scare them :)

Alumette is also fantastic if they are not used to controllers btw

Shoeless

My headset comes in a few days, anyone got a quick list of recommended games? I'm looking to grab quite a few :)

Batman, Battlezone and RIGs seem to be the big crowd pleasers. Rez is also another popular choice, and if you want a light gun style game, Until Dawn: Rush of Blood is pretty fun.

Got to test PSVR today at a friends house... incredible experience. Freaking WOW!! is on my Xmass list now.

Did not touch VR since the 90s.

androvsky

My headset comes in a few days, anyone got a quick list of recommended games? I'm looking to grab quite a few :)
Try Headmaster, there's a demo on the demo disc. It's a lot more fun than the premise suggests, probably one of the most natural fits for VR.

Shoeless

Totally stuck on Until Dawn's final level. Played it like 20 times on normal difficulty... ergh.

I feel your pain.

I was totally stuck on the final boss because of timing. It seemed like, at some point during the shoot out, I would have to do my reload just as it got to the end of one "phase" and you had to kill the engorged blob thing in a set time limit or it would one-hit kill you and send you right back to the beginning. It took me about an hour to get past it, and only because I finally started just getting a feel for when a phase was about end to make sure both guns had ammo and I didn't have to reload at all, just open up and hope for the best.

Bought Windlands. Great game.

I didn't feel any discomfort and the options were welcome in the intro. Graphics are very clean on the PSVR too. Looks nice and simple.

sadromeo

So my company had a Halloween party/lunch event yesterday at the office and I offered to bring in my PSVR for some of my coworkers/boss to try out. Fortunately for me, my GF and I work at the same company and since I wanted people to try out the Until Dawn: RoB demo, she had the awesome idea of decorating the office with the theme of scary, psychotic clowns/circus. It was so good and worked perfectly with the demo.

Although I wanted everyone to try the UDRoB demo, I still had to ask people whether they were up for a scary experience or one less intense because not everyone was up for or ready for it. The ones that did not care or wanted the scary experience, I booted up Until Dawn and had them run through it. The ones who wanted less intense, I booted up either the Ocean Descent PS Worlds demo or Allumette.

Everyone and I mean everyone LOVED the experience. Each person came away amazed at the level of immersion the PSVR placed you in and each person said they 'felt' movement (as in the the roller coaster tracks in the Rain of Blood demo or being lowered into the ocean in the Ocean Descent demo) or they actually tried to reach out for things that were not there (like the particles in the Allumette demo). I actually had one employee fall back off the bench we setup for people to sit down on while playing Until Dawn but she was fine. Keep in mind this was from all age ranges as I have coworkers from the young 20's up to the mid 50's, male and female and every one of them was just blown away. I felt so happy to bring and set the PSVR up and felt even more happy with the great reactions I received from everyone who tried it. I know it jumped on a few peoples' Christmas lists after yesterday.

Then, we went over to our friends house and set it up again and had them try and they loved it as well. They also could not believe how far VR has come and we all ended up playing until about 2:00 am when we finally called it quits. Unfortunately, the Scavenger's Odyssey game made both of our friends a little queazy but they still both really enjoyed using the PSVR.

All in all, I had a great day being able to show people how well VR is represented with the PSVR and was able to enjoy everyone's reactions and responses to their experiences with it.

Here are a couple of pictures of some my coworkers using the PSVR:

Coworker1_zpsyeldji37.jpg

Coworker2_zpssylcolxa.jpg

It really was a fun day.

Shoeless

Here they lie or Brookhaven Experiment?

Here They Lie gives some people nausea issues, but, if you can get past that, it's actually a really fascinating psychological horror/walking simulator game, with some jump scare and run away/stealth sections.

Brookhaven is a shooter game, so really, depends on your gaming taste.

Bluecondor

I pre-ordered PSVR back in the Summer and had mine on launch day. I was initially impressed, but somewhat underwhelmed by what I saw from the playroom, the U.S demo disc and Worlds (the Kitchen demo, Headmaster and the shark encounter were each a lot of fun).

I check this thread several times every day though, as I really believe in the potential of PSVR. After reading several people's positive reviews of Arkham VR, I went to Gamestop today and picked up the game.

Absolutely stunning experience.

I'm not a Batman fan and have never played any of the Arkham games, as superhero games just don't interest me.

The presentation of Gotham City in Arkham City is a just incredible. When you are in the city in the game, it feels like you are visiting a real place. I wanted to jump off the building and go exploring. It was breath-taking.

The characters in the game are really immersive as well. You feel like they are real people who are actually in the room with you.

I'm really looking forward to more experiences like this. It is really going to be something when we can actually walk around and explore in game worlds like Gotham City.

The PSVR is really something!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Quick question.
Super Stardust Ultra(PS4 $12.99) on the PS store already has PSVR support for the regular game right?

I see Super Stardust Ultra VR for $19.99 but I heard it wasn't really good so I'm thinking of skipping it.
You have to get the VR mode to get the standard modes in VR. It is really awesome to play at least. The VR exclusive mode is indeed blah.

bumpkin

So, Rush of Blood? I played the first three levels and it scared the shit out of me more than once... I love it! It's like House of the Dead in a fun house on a roller coaster; and I don't even like coasters in real life!

I've been trying to complete all of the challenges in PSVR Worlds and I'm having a hell of a time finishing the tour in VR Luge. Anyone whose done it have any tips? I keep coming up a few measly seconds short of a checkpoint in the fourth race.

dyergram

Hey anybody with rigs know why some times when I eject after choosing my spawn point it doesn't always fly down in first person?

I pre-ordered PSVR back in the Summer and had mine on launch day. I was initially impressed, but somewhat underwhelmed by what I saw from the playroom, the U.S demo disc and Worlds (the Kitchen demo, Headmaster and the shark encounter were each a lot of fun).

I check this thread several times every day though, as I really believe in the potential of PSVR. After reading several people's positive reviews of Arkham VR, I went to Gamestop today and picked up the game.

Absolutely stunning experience.

I'm not a Batman fan and have never played any of the Arkham games, as superhero games just don't interest me.

The presentation of Gotham City in Arkham City is a just incredible. When you are in the city in the game, it feels like you are visiting a real place. I wanted to jump off the building and go exploring. It was breath-taking.

The characters in the game are really immersive as well. You feel like they are real people who are actually in the room with you.

I'm really looking forward to more experiences like this. It is really going to be something when we can actually walk around and explore in game worlds like Gotham City.

The PSVR is really something!

I didn't expect to be saying this, but if I'm being totally honest with myself, the combination of Arkham VR and PSVR is easily the best game/experience/what-have-you I played this year. If there was a gamepro-esque "tilt value" on this it would shatter the scale. Like you, I don't care at all about Batman or the other games in the series, but this left me in complete awe.

It's weird, too, I had already tried Vive, Tilt Brush, some Oculus stuff, etc. But being on top of that first building in Arkham VR title screen just knocked my socks off. I wasn't expecting fidelity at that level, especially on a base PS4.

Soi-Fong

Man VR can sometimes be so relaxing... I just cruised around in Driveclub in a VW GTI which is my IRL car and it was soo soothing... Just cruised around one of the Japan tracks and it was glorious!

I'm not sure what it is, but Driveclub just makes driving so enjoyable and to be able to do it on actual car I own is amazing.

Mezoly

Platinumed Jobs Simulator. Super easy Platinum. The game is cool but it got old for me near the end. It would be fun to show to people in parties though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom