• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not a Hatsune Miku fan - but the VR game really does capture the feel of being in a concert and making you feel like you're a part of it. The one on one singing session remains a tad bit creepy tho.

Job Simulator is kind of a pain in the ass. If I sit on the couch, I'm in the circle and can play until I need to reach something below me and the couch gets in the way and if I stand just in front of the couch...I'm too close.

Time to rearrange some furniture!

Mezoly

Job Simulator is kind of a pain in the ass. If I sit on the couch, I'm in the circle and can play until I need to reach something below me and the couch gets in the way and if I stand just in front of the couch...I'm too close.

Time to rearrange some furniture!

I just point the camera to a spot where I have space.

Mossybrew

So played four of the islands/levels in Tethered and it pains me to say I can't recommend this game at all. It makes a great first impression, but every level plays out pretty much exactly the same way, and there is no real challenge at all. It's just a waiting game to gather enough energy while you easily hold the slugs at bay each night. If you're into replaying levels to get the best scores there may be something for you here, but for me it's grown incredibly boring way too quickly.

Taker666

Have to say that Hyper Void is really impressing me. Some of the stuff seems so tailor made for VR...that it's hard to believe it was ever intended for a tv based game. Far more variety than I expected as well.

Some great asteroid storms where it really feels like chunks of rock are whizzing past your ears or smacking you in the face and another level where you have to navigate through hundreds of small, inactive, floating robots.. which you can't shoot as it powers them up and you can't touch or you'll take damage. It really feels like there are hundreds of little mines floating all around you. One of the most effective VR moments I've experienced.

Great for Doctor Who fans as well ..as much of the game feels like you're flying through some of the opening credits.

simtmb

Batman, Battlezone and RIGs seem to be the big crowd pleasers. Rez is also another popular choice, and if you want a light gun style game, Until Dawn: Rush of Blood is pretty fun.

Try Headmaster, there's a demo on the demo disc. It's a lot more fun than the premise suggests, probably one of the most natural fits for VR.

Appreciate the suggestions, I picked up RIGS, Until Dawn, ordered in Rez and a few digital titles (Batman, Hear they Lie and Stardust) in advance. I'll be sure to try out the demo for headmaster when the headset comes in for me.

Thankfully I have had a play with this VR before I ordered it and had no issues when it came to motion sickness etc, so I'm quite looking forward to it.

Soi-Fong

I'd like to know this too, looks good from trailers.

The story is pretty decent and there's some interesting uses of VR in general. The movement though is a bit clunky. I'd say that I would recommend it if you want to immerse yourself in a decent story in VR and if you have the Move controllers. The Move controllers add a lot for immersion.

The graphics and such are pretty rough, but I've seen that be a pattern with all the UE4 games on PSVR. I have a feeling that most of the UE4 games with the exception of Arkham VR are running on the default deferred renderer instead of the forward renderer meant for VR.

Not feeling RIGS much, the combat feels a bit clunky and the AI seems super aggressive for some reason. It's not a pile of shit but I thought I'd be enjoying it more since I like shooters and mechs :(

What is it I'm doing wrong with the game that isn't allowing me to enjoy it as much as I want? Help me GAF.

I just increased the sensitivity and it seemed to improve the controls considerably. I don't know why sensitivity is set so low by default.

Fusebox

Banned
So played four of the islands/levels in Tethered and it pains me to say I can't recommend this game at all. It makes a great first impression, but every level plays out pretty much exactly the same way, and there is no real challenge at all. It's just a waiting game to gather enough energy while you easily hold the slugs at bay each night. If you're into replaying levels to get the best scores there may be something for you here, but for me it's grown incredibly boring way too quickly.

:(

I've only played the first level so far, shame to hear there isn't much more to see. I'd like to see a slug-free game mode with much tougher resource management challenge.

Bluecondor

It's weird, too, I had already tried Vive, Tilt Brush, some Oculus stuff, etc. But being on top of that first building in Arkham VR title screen just knocked my socks off. I wasn't expecting fidelity at that level, especially on a base PS4.

Ya - the first building in Arkham VR is a great moment. They really did a great job capturing the depth of field of being around several tall buildings. The scale of the buildings when you were in the alleyway is really well done as well.

Finally said fuck it and bought Batman VR (really short but awesome)... Holy shit!!!! They need to make more games like this for the VR! Man I can't wait for Robinson and Eagle Flight.

Quocia

Neo Member
I have bought Summer Lesson. The game is really really blurry compared to the other demos I tried. Only the girl is more or less ok, but the rooms are not.

Apart from that, the game is ok. It's cool to see the girl following you with her eyes. I also like how you make a decision (by looking at the answer for more than 2/3 seconds).

I just wish there were fewer loading screens because once you have finished the game (1 hour or so, maybe less), you can restart to earn new bonuses. You can skip the introductions and all the thing you already saw, but then it becomes the loading game.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I havent bought the move controllers yet, so for now I only have Rez, which I have already played in past iterations, and Thumper.

Man, Thumper is AWESOME! VR mode actually made the game a lot easier to play since I can anticipate curves a lot better, plus the sense of scale is much, much improved.

RIGS and Battlezone are not my cup of tea, neither is Here they Lie. I managed to hack Skyrim (a game I do not like, at all) to work with the Oculus a few months ago and it instantly became a must play experience, so thats what Im looking for. Proper games that VR can elevate to the next level instead of games that make the system feel like the Wii 2

Quocia

Neo Member
How did you move your character on Skyrim ? Keyboard or pad I presume, but how was it for you in the occulus? No motion sickness?

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
How did you move your character on Skyrim ? Keyboard or pad I presume, but how was it for you in the occulus? No motion sickness?

I dont really get motion sickness. I must have a desert for an inner ear or something. Driveclub VR? Fine. Rollercoasters? Fine. Im unphased.

We mapped Skyrim to a 360 pad, used a few tools and mods to make it somewhat playable, but not really for long term use (using menus was a nightmare) but as a walking simulator it was GREAT! I just laid down on my living room couch looking at the starts for minutes, it was surreal.

panda-zebra

How do you activate VR mode? I'm in the US and it updated to 1.02 but there's still no VR mode...

When I tweeted about the EU patch not working, their reply was NA would get it in 4 days, so around Nov 1st. 1.02 is the version that allows VR mode to be selected here, after the small "VR levels" update was applied.

We mapped Skyrim to a 360 pad, used a few tools and mods to make it somewhat playable, but not really for long term use (using menus was a nightmare) but as a walking simulator it was GREAT! I just laid down on my living room couch looking at the starts for minutes, it was surreal.

Doesn't really sound like you took Skyrim to the next level tbh ;-) Try something like Windlands if you want a thrilling sandbox. Obviously a polar opposite looks-wise to Skyrim, but the freedom and sense of scale are incredible. Something like Arkham VR shows that made-for-VR titles, with AAA productions skills, are the way forwards rather than shoehorning "proper games" into a helmet, but each to his own :)

Grinchy

Banned
I decided to grab Tethered after all the positive responses and the tutorial level was awesome. I spent almost 40 minutes on that shit lol. It gave me an A for caring for the Peeps and like an E for time. I just kept wanting to upgrade things and I'd forget to collect the spirit stuff. But this game seems like it's going to be really fucking good.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The video apps are just awful. Quality is bootleg-level across the board and yet performance is still shit. One of the apps doesn't even have any 3D content. The ones that do don't let you search only 3D that I can tell.
I feel scammed on this front because of the language Sony used about Media Player prelaunch.

Tekniqs

trying to get a bundle ( i know i'm late lol). anyone know if they're planning on restocking the launch bundles or perhaps releasing a new bundle?

jrcbandit

wasn't the launch bundle $500?

Only the headset has been restocked. The launch bundle has not. If the Best Buy deal is still going on, get it there. You create your own bundle and get headset+move+camera for $500 plus $10 off any game - use the $10 off to get Tumble VR for free since it is just $10, and you can get Batman and Rush of Blood for $6 (20% off gamer club unlocked for physical discs + $10 off), Bound for $10, Rigs for $30 (20% off gamer club unlocked for physical disc + $10 off). The offer still seems good. As long as you buy 4 games ($40 off basically), it is just as good as the launch bundle. And you'll want Batman VR and Until Dawn: Rush of Blood anyway (two best launch games), plus Tumble is free. Just pick the final game for whatever. If you don't have gamer's club unlocked for the extra 20% off discount, might as well get the games digitally since that means no disc switching (ie, Batman and UD will be $10).

SHarris78

Ok guys, so I'm a big Hatsune Miku fan and I'm thinking of getting the Miku Season Pass for the Hatsune Miku Live VR game. lol

I'm a huge fan too and bought the season pass as soon as it became available. I would say if your looking for a game to play then this isn't it, but if you know what your going into (i.e. It's a virtual concert) and you love the music it's a no brainier - I love it and can't wait for 2nd Stage with Luka and the twins.

kyser73

Have to say that Hyper Void is really impressing me. Some of the stuff seems so tailor made for VR...that it's hard to believe it was ever intended for a tv based game. Far more variety than I expected as well.

Some great asteroid storms where it really feels like chunks of rock are whizzing past your ears or smacking you in the face and another level where you have to navigate through hundreds of small, inactive, floating robots.. which you can't shoot as it powers them up and you can't touch or you'll take damage. It really feels like there are hundreds of little mines floating all around you. One of the most effective VR moments I've experienced.

Great for Doctor Who fans as well ..as much of the game feels like you're flying through some of the opening credits.

Is there a way to open up the VR levels? Whenever I play I can only see the game in cinema mode.

Codiox

Finally said fuck it and bought Batman VR (really short but awesome)... Holy shit!!!! They need to make more games like this for the VR! Man I can't wait for Robinson and Eagle Flight.

After Arkham VR I needed 15min to get my shit together. My friend came over to try it and just saw me sitting on the couch right after I finished arkham VR. He said I was so floored like I saw a ghost or something...

This was so awesome but also so fucking intense and real my mind could work it's shit out for 15min. Watching at my own hands in real life was total awkward... Almost a little scary.

I would never wanna live in Batman shoes lol

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Amazon UK have stock back in.

sURXhPf.png

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00I9WWBCQ/

After Arkham VR I needed 15min to get my shit together. My friend came over to try it and just saw me sitting on the couch right after I finished arkham VR. He said I was so floored like I saw a ghost or something...

This was so awesome but also so fucking intense and real my mind could work it's shit out for 15min. Watching at my own hands in real life was total awkward... Almost a little scary.

I would never wanna live in Batman shoes lol

I just finished it today too and fully understand what you're talking about. I just lay in the bed for a while and processed what I just went though and reflect on how amazing it was.

kyser73

amazing.

definitely.

the camera takes a little to get used to, but it's only a minor point.

VR will be available to play in NA around 1st Nov.

Hmm, I'm in Australia (so use the EU store...) and I've downloaded the VR patch from the store, installed it and still nothing...which is a shame because even in cinema mode the game is trippy af! Right up my alley until Proton Pulse & Polybius are released.

panda-zebra

Hmm, I'm in Australia (so use the EU store...) and I've downloaded the VR patch from the store, installed it and still nothing...which is a shame because even in cinema mode the game is trippy af! Right up my alley until Proton Pulse & Polybius are released.

That's odd. I actually remember trying it after the update downloaded and it didn't work, but did after rebooting - maybe try that?

When it works you'll get the game booting up in 2D as normal, but the menu will have "Play in VR" or whatever as an option.

Mokubba

So my company had a Halloween party/lunch event yesterday at the office and I offered to bring in my PSVR for some of my coworkers/boss to try out.
It really was a fun day.

Great experience. Hope loads more buy it for themselves.

Not feeling RIGS much, the combat feels a bit clunky and the AI seems super aggressive for some reason. It's not a pile of shit but I thought I'd be enjoying it more since I like shooters and mechs :(

What is it I'm doing wrong with the game that isn't allowing me to enjoy it as much as I want? Help me GAF.

I just increased the sensitivity and it seemed to improve the controls considerably. I don't know why sensitivity is set so low by default.

It's probably set that way for motion sickness. I got much better too after increasing it.
As for the game. AI with more stars than you are hard and you will most likely lose but as you get more fame to hire better AI teamamtes and cash to buy better rigs, things will get easier and even more fun.

To be fair it clicked for me from the start but you still get the progression from starting off in a lower league and working your way to the top

Those are third party sellers not Amazon, hence the extra £65 they're charging.

EDIT: Oh now they're showing up again but it looks like it's back ordered the stock is due in Nov. 14th.

It's always been NOV 14th since the initial shipment sold out but you were able to pre-order it.

After the price dropped to price match Tesco, it sold out and now it's back up again.

EDIT: looks like it's gone again.

kyser73

That's odd. I actually remember trying it after the update downloaded and it didn't work, but did after rebooting - maybe try that?

When it works you'll get the game booting up in 2D as normal, but the menu will have "Play in VR" or whatever as an option.

Yeah I should probably follow my own advice about rebooting :) I've offered it enough times on this thread!

Fusebox

Banned
Pixel Gears was good fun but I killed the first boss and nothing happened, just left me in the game world with nothing to shoot at. The next level didn't unlock either, guess it was a glitch.

chippy13

Going to join the pile of people who have just finished Batman VR and say holy shit! That is by far the best VR game that i have played yet. Love the feel of everything in the world as well as the introduction of Riddler puzzles. My wife and I stayed up way too late last night searching for puzzle boxes.

Taker666

Is there a way to open up the VR levels? Whenever I play I can only see the game in cinema mode.

The VR levels were released but the main game also needed a patch so they would work (which was released a couple days later than the VR levels). This was in Europe..maybe the patch hasn't been released worldwide yet?

deadfolk

Does anyone know which demos are on the US demo disc but missing from EU?

I'm without a PS4 until the pro comes and I have rubbish internet, so given that I have the EU physical disc and the download is huge, I want to prioritise.

SHarris78

This has to be the longest honeymoon period of all time! Had my first day off from using VR yesterday, went back to it today and finished chapter 1 of Scavengers Odyssey and also played Dangerball. Surprised how long the first chapter of SO was, also that it didn't give me any motion sickness, shame it's one of the more blurry games in the package.

And Dangerball is soooo good, still can't get passed the 3rd stage though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom