• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I picked up PS VR yesterday and have been loving it. I do have one question, though.

Underneath both of my lenses there are some weird, circular-ish marks (but they aren't anywhere near being perfect circles; they look more like circular smears). I was wondering if this is normal. I swear I caught it out of the corner of my eye when playing a couple of times, but it is possible that it could have been something else. Here is a picture:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/acc1o2h6c7p2udt/Photo Oct 30, 9 38 02 AM.jpg?dl=0

It was hard to capture, but if you look hard you can see what I'm talking about pretty clearly on the right lense there.

Is this normal?

I beleive it is normal. I've noticed those same smudges on both lenses on my Psvr and since I couldn't wipe it away I assumed it was normal. I never notice em while I'm playing though.

SJRB

Gold Member
I have smudges at the top of my lenses that have been there since I took it out of the box, lenses were covered in protective tape and all. The cleaning cloth that came with the set do absolutely nothing.

It's more apparant in some games than others, but I'm still not sure where the hell it even came from.

I have smudges at the top of my lenses that have been there since I took it out of the box, lenses were covered in protective tape and all. The cleaning cloth that came with the set do absolutely nothing.

It's more apparant in some games than others, but I'm still not sure where the hell it even came from.
The cloth that came with it sucks. I had a smudge that only came off with a finer, thinner microfiber cloth.

Zalusithix

I think it's mind blowing how fast this thread has reached over 200 pages (50ppp) considering the Vive one is how old now, and has maybe 40 more.

I really hope for the sake of VR that this enthusiasm translates over to retail sales success and all platforms see a software benefit.

It's actually over an 80 page difference, and we shifted a fair amount of the shipping talk out of the main thread early on as it was disrupting talk about anything else. Still, it wont take long for this thread to eclipse it. Console GAF is larger than PC GAF, and the price difference between the two increases the discrepancy further.
The top 3 posters of the Vive thread make up 10% of all the posts, and I'm 4% in my own right. The thread is heavily skewed to the regulars, whereas this thread is much more distributed across a large number of posters.

As to the second point, going by the Vive thread, I'd say the enthusiasm is driving sales all around. We've seen a number of PSVR owners take an interest in and purchase a Vive after their experience with PSVR. It's a technology that has to be experienced to appreciate, so anything that increases people's exposure to it is a good thing for the medium. (Well, assuming the exposure isn't to a garbage device at least.)

It's also nice to see the stigma of "There's no AAA games for VR" going away as people realize that VR can be compelling without a 40 hour epic narrative driven game. Experiencing all the stuff that you've never been able to do before in gaming is a massive draw of VR, and those experiences are often going to come from smaller devs.

Soi-Fong

It's actually over an 80 page difference, and we shifted a fair amount of the shipping talk out of the main thread early on as it was disrupting talk about anything else. Still, it wont take long for this thread to eclipse it. Console GAF is larger than PC GAF, and the price difference between the two increases the discrepancy further.
The top 3 posters of the Vive thread make up 10% of all the posts, and I'm 4% in my own right. The thread is heavily skewed to the regulars, whereas this thread is much more distributed across a large number of posters.

As to the second point, going by the Vive thread, I'd say the enthusiasm is driving sales all around. We've seen a number of PSVR owners take an interest in and purchase a Vive after their experience with PSVR. It's a technology that has to be experienced to appreciate, so anything that increases people's exposure to it is a good thing for the medium. (Well, assuming the exposure isn't to a garbage device at least.)

It's also nice to see the stigma of "There's no AAA games for VR" going away as people realize that VR can be compelling without a 40 hour epic narrative driven game. Experiencing all the stuff that you've never been able to do before in gaming is a massive draw of VR, and those experiences are often going to come from smaller devs.

Developing solely for the Vive or Rift has always been a big risk with the numbers simply not being there.

With the release of PSVR development for VR in general is just more viable.

That along with the support of Sony and the Playstation brand should further VR in general.

Yeah its great to see a lot of people enjoying VR. Had PSVR since day one and me and the girlfriend love it. There are some great games and experiences already.

Really hope we get to some PSVR sales numbers soon, as I'm dying to know how well its done, as it would be a shame if it doesn't sell well, because VR needs a bit of a boost after PC sales slowed down quite a lot.

Hoping PSVR does well and encourages people to try the more refined PC VR options too.

dw.og

Same here. I'm going to try and use a finer microfiber cloth as someone suggested.

dw.og

Also guys, what are some other games worth picking up at the moment if I particularly enjoyed London Heist, Batman, and Into the Deep? I'm really excited for the English version of Summer Lesson but that's not coming till next year. Robison: The Journey also looks intriguing.

majik13

Where are you drawing this conclusion from? I've not read anywhere that the bundle was limited. I'd wager it's a supply-and-demand scenario, really.

Just only seeing Core units in stock with no places really listing restock dates for Launch. Also id guess its called a "Launch" bundle for a reason. But still seems it should be more readily available for the long run.

Is there any official word on this though?

They could make a new bundle, call it something else and put a different game with it maybe?

Zalusithix

Developing solely for the Vive or Rift has always been a big risk with the numbers simply not being there.

With the release of PSVR development for VR in general is just more viable.

That along with the support of Sony and the Playstation brand should further VR in general.

Anybody developing solely for the Rift better be getting money from Oculus, as that's quite possibly the dumbest choice possible from a raw marketshare perspective. Developing for the Vive (OpenVR) at least gives you full access to both the Rift and Vive's user base (limited currently by the lack of Touch, but that will no longer be an issue in about a month).

But yes, PSVR makes VR development far more viable. PSVR + OpenVR pretty much gives you full access to the entire VR ecosystem. Of course there's limitations; the dev's game concept has to work within the limitations that PSVR imposes. Unfortunately this means some devs will have to make due with the smaller (for now) PCVR userbase, or wait until a second gen PSVR surfaces.

Robins

I have a lil issue with my Ps Vr if anyone has experienced the same thing.

I get sound through the vr but no sounds comes out the TV. My friend does not have this issue.

Is there a setting or something I have to change to get audio through vr and the TV?

Thanks for any help

majik13

I have a lil issue with my Ps Vr if anyone has experienced the same thing.

I get sound through the vr but no sounds comes out the TV. My friend does not have this issue.

Is there a setting or something I have to change to get audio through vr and the TV?

Thanks for any help

Maybe a stupid suggestion but how is sound hooked up to your TV? Through a reciever or just HDMI? If you changed sonething while hooking up PSVR, double check you have the correct audio input or output settings set on the TV. Im guessing youve already done this though.

rubes7844

Banned
Loving here they lie and tethered. They're brilliant games. The only issue that I have with Tetheted is that you're hosed with no in island saving.

On another note, I've finally calibrated the eye length and I'm a 61. Much, much better. I couldn't read notes in Here they lie and now it's clearer.

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
I let my mom try the PSVR. First I set her up with the Kitchen demo. She waved at the scary lady, and then this was her reaction when she got up in her face:
https://youtu.be/s7zoX9MGMbk?t=89

She also loved the Rush of Blood demo and asked me why I haven't bought the full game yet. The jump scare at the beginning before the main menu actually got a shriek out of her, but it was out of surprise rather than fear.

Robins

Maybe a stupid suggestion but how is sound hooked up to your TV? Through a reciever or just HDMI? If you changed sonething while hooking up PSVR, double check you have the correct audio input or output settings set on the TV. Im guessing youve already done this though.

Yeah sadly, all hooked up through hdmi for the audio output

Flandy

Apparently this tweet was made and then deleted
nHQTZI7.jpg

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I haven't got PSVR but I keep popping into the this thread to see how things are going. I think it's safe to say Sony have something on their hands here. The one thing I feared was PSVR would become an overnight success because of buzz but then fade because of the 'been there, done it' problem, but it seems as if the software market will be healthy and people are hungry for more. A lack of support is ALL than can hold this back in my opinion.

antibolo

Banned
Apparently this tweet was made and then deleted

Hahaha there's no way in hell I'm going to try that

Although seriously, nausea aside I feel like motorcycling would be great in VR, if they properly pull off the fact that you do need to lean when you're taking a turn at high speeds in reality. This is actually a valid use case for integrating head tracking mechanics in a VR game.

antibolo

Banned
I haven't got PSVR but I keep popping into the this thread to see how things are going. I think it's safe to say Sony have something on their hands here. The one thing I feared was PSVR would become an overnight success because of buzz but then fade because of the 'been there, done it' problem, but it seems as if the software market will be healthy and people are hungry for more. A lack of support is ALL than can hold this back in my opinion.

To be honest I don't feel like this thread is necessarily a valid indicator of how it'll do in the long run.

My biggest worry right now is its long term game support. It'll all depend on how motivated the developers and publishers are at supporting a platform with more risk-driven experimental gameplay concepts and a limited audience.

Grinchy

Banned
I think I just hit a weird bug in Until Dawn. It's like the 3rd level boss fight.

The guy who pushes you backwards isn't pushing me hard enough. So I go so slowly that I can't even see the barrels I have to shoot at in order to hurt him. I have to point my gun down to the side and behind me and just spray in the hopes that it blows up the barrels before his swipe hits me.

Then there's enemies throwing shit from above. So I am shooting their molotovs with my left hand and blindly spraying with my right hand just hoping that there's a barrel coming up so I can damage the boss. After 4 attempts, I had to say fuck it. It wasn't like this the first time I played the game on the Normal difficulty.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
To be honest I don't feel like this thread is necessarily a valid indicator of how it'll do in the long run.

My biggest worry right now is its long term game support. It'll all depend on how motivated the developers and publishers are at supporting a platform with more risk-driven experimental gameplay concepts and a limited audience.

Yes, my only 'real' concern now is long term support but, if GAF is anything to go by (and I have no reason to doubt it is) then that shouldn't be a problem. People are hungry for games and as they say 'build it and they will come'.

Fliesen

Ooh interesting.

Maybe VR is what's needed to have strategy and management games work & flourish on consoles.

Moving your head to (very quickly) move a cursor AND the camera at the same time is a huge leap over inaccurate and slow analog sticks.

To be fair, tethered can be a BIT finnicky with what it snaps onto, when there are multiple objects to be tethered - also i do think i'd prefer a "X to select" "X to send" over the "X-and-hold" tethering

i do love that oh my genesis uses the move controllers, though. Not so sure about the graphics / art style, really.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUTMAKUyOjg

kinggroin

Banned

It's also nice to see the stigma of "There's no AAA games for VR" going away as people realize that VR can be compelling without a 40 hour epic narrative driven game. Experiencing all the stuff that you've never been able to do before in gaming is a massive draw of VR, and those experiences are often going to come from smaller devs.[/QUOTE]

Man, you said it. When it was Vive/Oculus vs the rest of the gaming world, the argument of nothing worth playing or the devaluation of these smaller experience games was grating.

Thank God more people have access to not just VR, but decent quality VR at that; those arguments are subsiding.

I'm a couple days late to this news but I'm happy to see there's going be a PS4 Pro patch for Battlezone. I wasn't planning to get a PS4 Pro until this time next year when I get a new TV, but if more PSVR games get patched I'll get a Pro much sooner than that.

III-V

One of the best things about PSVR is the high frame rate. Hopefully, this can become more desired in the console space.

Ozorov

Theonik

Says "Back-ordered. Due in stock November 14 -- order now to reserve yours"
For what it's worth that's what they said when I ordered mine and they ended up shipping it early. I'm still annoyed because of that since it means I have to stare at it till the PS4 Pro is out in 10 days.

I think I just hit a weird bug in Until Dawn. It's like the 3rd level boss fight.

The guy who pushes you backwards isn't pushing me hard enough. So I go so slowly that I can't even see the barrels I have to shoot at in order to hurt him. I have to point my gun down to the side and behind me and just spray in the hopes that it blows up the barrels before his swipe hits me.

Then there's enemies throwing shit from above. So I am shooting their molotovs with my left hand and blindly spraying with my right hand just hoping that there's a barrel coming up so I can damage the boss. After 4 attempts, I had to say fuck it. It wasn't like this the first time I played the game on the Normal difficulty.

I thought this too until I realised you also need to be shooting him to slow him down, keep one gun on him and the other on barrels and above. Made it pretty simple in the end leaving a big gap between me and him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom