• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maligna

Banned
I feel your pain.

I was totally stuck on the final boss because of timing. It seemed like, at some point during the shoot out, I would have to do my reload just as it got to the end of one "phase" and you had to kill the engorged blob thing in a set time limit or it would one-hit kill you and send you right back to the beginning. It took me about an hour to get past it, and only because I finally started just getting a feel for when a phase was about end to make sure both guns had ammo and I didn't have to reload at all, just open up and hope for the best.

Exact spot I'm stuck on. Can't imagine this on a higher difficulty.

Hey anybody with rigs know why some times when I eject after choosing my spawn point it doesn't always fly down in first person?

Most likely you ejected into an overhead obstruction. So it doesn't go through the normal animation. It conceals everything and you just appear at the new spawn.

I see a lot of people asking for impressions for games that many of us have given impressions for in this thread.

I'm not complaining because this thread is big.

Should we start a GAFfer PSVR impressions thread? The OP would have to be updated with a batch of games linking to each post of impressions so it would be some work, but we can put all of our game mini reviews/impressions in one place for PSVR.

Example:

Battlezone
Post link
Post link
Post link
Video link
Post link

Bound
Post link
Post link
Video link

Etc
Etc

?

Maligna

Banned
Just had my first VR mishap. Was showing my friend Arkham VR.

I've shown many people VR and I've always remembered to remove all obstructions from the area, but this time my friend came over and I hadn't moved my computer chair.
Then when I told him he could go check out his mother's dead body in the opening scene,
when he went to lean down and look at her real close he bashed his face off the chair.

Oops. I think he still loved it though. In the end he played the whole game, he's a huge Batman fan but that was not a great first impression in his first couple minutes of the game. It made him wary of moving too much during the rest of his play time.

Ozorov

I see a lot of people asking for impressions for games that many of us have given impressions for in this thread.

I'm not complaining because this thread is big.

Should we start a GAFfer PSVR impressions thread? The OP would have to be updated with a batch of games linking to each post of impressions so it would be some work, but we can put all of our game mini reviews/impressions in one place for PSVR.

Example:

Battlezone
Post link
Post link
Post link
Video link
Post link

Bound
Post link
Post link
Video link

Etc
Etc

?

giphy.gif

Ozorov

Just had my first VR mishap.

I've shown many people VR and I've always remembered to remove all obstructions from the area, but this time my friend came over and I hadn't moved my computer chair.
Then when I told him to go check out his mother's dead body in Batman, to lean down and look at her real close he bashed his face off the chair.

Oops. I think he still loved it though. In the end he played the whole game, he's a huge Batman fan but that was not a great first impression in his first couple minutes of the game. It made him wary of moving too much during the rest of his play time.
Hey... spoiler tags please.

Planet

Does anyone know which demos are on the US demo disc but missing from EU?
Three:
  • Kitchen (can be downloaded separately in the EU store)
  • Within (Can be downloaded separately in the US store)
  • Gnog (no demo outside the US disc, but I didn't like it a lot anyway)

Have a question about Batman VR: how much space do I need?

In my current setup I can't play Job Simulator, the spot where I should sit is the absolute max I can go and then I'm literally with my back against the wall and it's pretty much unplayable as I have a desk in front of me...so leaning down is not really possible cause the camera loses track of the moves. Does Batman involve looking behind your back and leaning down much?

Ozorov

Three:

And Until Dawn: Rush of Blood, Here They Lie, Harmonix Music VR, Job Simulator, Rez Infinite, Thumper, Allumette I think?

If you guys want me to start doing this, PM me the post link of your impression here, the post number, etc.

Or

You can repost your impressions in the new thread as concise posts, meaning: just a post with the impression of the game, not containing stories of friends trying it out, looking for bundles, etc.

Then regular game discussion can continue in the thread as normal.

I wouldn't mind a catch-all for game impressions and gameplay videos since I feel good VR game discussion is needed, IMO.

totowhoa

Banned
Just got psvr yesterday and I'm enjoying it.

What is the Kitchen demo called on the PS Store? I can't find it.

Edit: oh just saw the post above. I guess I missed it on the demo disc...

iratA

Just found this News on Battlezone and PS PRO! This should clean up the image a great deal. Keen to jump back in soon.

BATTLEZONE 1.02 Patch Notes

Added PS4 Pro support

- Increased super-sampling resolution

- Improved dynamic lighting in the Cobra cockpit

- Increased reflective lighting resolution

deadfolk

Three:

And Until Dawn: Rush of Blood, Here They Lie, Harmonix Music VR, Job Simulator, Rez Infinite, Thumper, Allumette I think?

Thanks! Most of these I either have the full version of or am not interested in, so I can leave the US demo disc as a very low priority download.

doby

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but 4Gamers are releasing lens protectors soon but bundling it with a load of other junk and calling it a starter pack. I just want the protectors ffs!

Planet

On the physical disc that might be, I never even touched that one. I was talking about the download demo disc in the EU store, which has 15 entries. That encompasses everything the US physical or downloaded version has minus those three.

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but 4Gamers are releasing lens protectors soon but bundling it with a load of other junk and calling it a starter pack. I just want the protectors ffs!
I think you'll be fine without them unless your eyelashes are made from adamantium.

A good cloth to keep them clean will last a long time. Get some eyeglass cloth and you will be set. Costco, imo, makes the best little swatches of cloth. No shedding, not straight woven like Sony's and about a zillion times softer.

I'm pretty harsh with cleaning my PSVR literally every time it comes off, even to break. Still look perfect from everyday use inspecting them under a light.

The PSVR lenses aren't something exposed to constant abrasion like phones are with dirt on fingers, in your pocket, etc.

Three:

The RE Kitchen demo is on the US demo disc? I have the demo disc and the RE (8?) demo downloaded and updated and still can't find this damn thing.

Gemeanie

The RE Kitchen demo is on the US demo disc? I have the demo disc and the RE (8?) demo downloaded and updated and still can't find this damn thing.
It is in the US demo disc. It's called Kitchen, no RE in the title.

I'm glad I gave in and bought Tethered because this is exactly what I wanted since watching Allumette. Spent 43 minutes in the tutorial alone and it only ended when I accidentally collected enough spirit energy to clear it

Hey guys, I picked up PS VR yesterday and have been loving it. I do have one question, though.

Underneath both of my lenses there are some weird, circular-ish marks (but they aren't anywhere near being perfect circles; they look more like circular smears). I was wondering if this is normal. I swear I caught it out of the corner of my eye when playing a couple of times, but it is possible that it could have been something else. Here is a picture:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/acc1o2h6c7p2udt/Photo Oct 30, 9 38 02 AM.jpg?dl=0

It was hard to capture, but if you look hard you can see what I'm talking about pretty clearly on the right lense there.

Is this normal?

Ogni-XR21

So I've had PSVR for over 2 weeks now and played it daily, much more than I anticipated. My most played game is probably Rez Infinite but there are a lot of great games/experiences out there. I bought way too many games and I did not regret any purchase yet. Very little tracking issues, the occasional drift to the right but nothing too major. When I started out I had to take it slow, I could barely beat the Battlezone and Rigs demo and quit the Eve demo before it was over (yes, even though it's that short). No problem any more though. I even beat Scavengers Odyssey twice by now and love jumping around, even doing 'double jumps' and I love it. Bought Driveclub VR yesterday and played it for several hours straight without any problems. When I tried the demo on my 2nd day I had to quit after a half a lap... so VR legs are real, of course YMMV, but I've seen HUGE improvments.

How have you all been? Are you getting used to movement in VR or did nothing change for you?

I think you'll be fine without them unless your eyelashes are made from adamantium.

A good cloth to keep them clean will last a long time. Get some eyeglass cloth and you will be set. Costco, imo, makes the best little swatches of cloth. No shedding, not straight woven like Sony's and about a zillion times softer.

I'm pretty harsh with cleaning my PSVR literally every time it comes off, even to break. Still look perfect from everyday use inspecting them under a light.

The PSVR lenses aren't something exposed to constant abrasion like phones are with dirt on fingers, in your pocket, etc.

I use a Lenspen myself. About 10 euro over here and does a great job. I never ever use cloth on my lenses ( I did some photography ). If you used it once, you'll never go back to cloth imo.

I use a Lenspen myself. About 10 euro over here and does a great job. I never ever use cloth on my lenses ( I did some photography ). If you used it once, you'll never go back to cloth imo.

Got some greasy smudges on my lenses. The blue PS cloth is worthless, just smears it all over the lens. Bought a new lenspen, while better than the cloth there still is a film over my lenses...but it doesn't affect me during gameplay.
Hope my newly ordered fancy microfibre cloth will be better than both solutions I tried till now.

phant0m

Had a Halloween party last night. Wasn't planning on breaking out the VR since there were so many people, but guests demanded it! Let everyone try, people played Ocean, dangerball, rush of blood and playroom. Such a great time, something real special here.

I was happy no one got sick (especially after drinking) but I did have to lay down the "don't fuck with people wearing the headset" law after 2 guys almost dumped the player out of his chair when he was going down the rollercoaster in UD.

SeanR1221

After being fine with the demos I bought job simulator.

It's COMPLETELY broken. The entire world is moving and the controllers are barely tracking. I tried adjusting my camera and the light adjustment in settings.

Went back to the demo and that's broken too. Wtf? How was it fine and then not fine when literally nothing in my setup changed.

I feel like I'm about to puke right now

After being fine with the demos I bought job simulator.

It's COMPLETELY broken. The entire world is moving and the controllers are barely tracking. I tried adjusting my camera and the light adjustment in settings.

Went back to the demo and that's broken too. Wtf? How was it fine and then not fine when literally nothing in my setup changed.

I feel like I'm about to puke right now
Give the PS4 a complete power down/reboot if you haven't. Tracking gets wonky if you use suspend.

I've had issues with Job Sim where it's perfect one day and hell the next. It's a fun game but tracking is the worst of the bunch. I don't know what some devs do over others but some games have insane tracking and others just lose their shit.

I found it best for standing games to make sure the camera is at least head high. I have a temporary stand at the moment but am getting a more permanent tripod so I can adjust height with ease. Eye level is preferred I've found for either sitting or standing.

Will also try higher pointed down when my new tripod comes in. 72" is relatively cheap on Amazon.

PM me if you want I'll throw you some info. I'll be around later today if you need to chat through PSN or otherwise - Job Sim can be a bitch or it can be golden.

alienator

Tried the Hyper Void vr addon this afternoon. splendid. the closest thing to TxK in vr as possible, until we actually get TxK in VR. (never, that is :/ ).. Dat astroid level.. Loved it!!!

kinggroin

Banned
I think it's mind blowing how fast this thread has reached over 200 pages (50ppp) considering the Vive one is how old now, and has maybe 40 more.

I really hope for the sake of VR that this enthusiasm translates over to retail sales success and all platforms see a software benefit.

Played some more Tethered. This is easily the meatiest game for PSVR that I've played thus far. It's really fun and makes you want to replay levels to do a better job at managing your peeps. It also hits that nice middle ground of "relaxing setting but just enough going on to keep you engaged".

Anybody have tricks for how to use the Temples in Tethered? I keep getting E scores for spirit collection.

SeanR1221

Give the PS4 a complete power down/reboot if you haven't. Tracking gets wonky if you use suspend.

I've had issues with Job Sim where it's perfect one day and hell the next. It's a fun game but tracking is the worst of the bunch. I don't know what some devs do over others but some games have insane tracking and others just lose their shit.

I found it best for standing games to make sure the camera is at least head high. I have a temporary stand at the moment but am getting a more permanent tripod so I can adjust height with ease. Eye level is preferred I've found for either sitting or standing.

Will also try higher pointed down when my new tripod comes in. 72" is relatively cheap on Amazon.

PM me if you want I'll throw you some info. I'll be around later today if you need to chat through PSN or otherwise - Job Sim can be a bitch or it can be golden.

Full reboot worked. Thanks fit bro!

atomsk

Party Pooper
Anyone know if War Thunder has added VR yet? Ithink it was planned for launch but haven't heard anything.

haven't been able to find any ETA, but I'd totally reinstall WT if they can get it working decently.

finally had a chance to sit down my 90 year old grandfather and get him to play Driveclub VR, in our family he's known as being a bit of a speed demon, so it was amusing to see him being SO CAREFUL with a virtual car.

georgc

So I need to exchange my PSVR, I get random power downs on the headset and I have a dead pixel in the center of my left eye. I contacted amazon and they have no units to exchange. So i can return it and fight to get a new one with the limited supply or contact sony to do a RMA on it. Am i missing any other options?

I think it's mind blowing how fast this thread has reached over 200 pages (50ppp) considering the Vive one is how old now, and has maybe 40 more.

I really hope for the sake of VR that this enthusiasm translates over to retail sales success and all platforms see a software benefit.

It's crazy Isn't it?

What's also crazy is that I'm enjoying tech demos and small indie games more then BF1, Dragon Quest Builders and Destiny. VR is that much more immersive and fun then big budget 2d games.

It really is video games 2.0

Even in the event that the hardware isn't selling like gangbusters, I'm sure the attach rate is still insane.

Grinchy

Banned
I spent over an hour playing the 2nd level of Tethered twice. This game is so fucking cool so far. There are moments where I'm yelling at a peep for standing 3 feet away from an enemy and making me actually tell him to attack where I wonder why slightly more actions aren't automated, but I'm loving the game so far.

majik13

I needed help with this also as I'm new to the Move controllers. Hold down the trigger button and just aim where you want to go. I'm still learning to use it. I don't see any cross hairs in menus so that's a bit confusing and looking at a leaderboard it asked me to press L1 or R1 to change the leaderboards. There is no L1 or R1 on the Move is there?

Yeah this is a big complaint, Moves being so prominent with VR, youd think theyd be supported across the board for system menus and navigation. Especially since in VR its a pain looking for real world objects. Anyways, I wasnt aware they worked at all, but they should def have a cross hair and full button support.

When I had a Vive I had/tried about 10-15 games and get great in all of them. I got the PSVR and felt fine in all of them...then I got Rigs. Jesus, now I can't even stand up straight. Never felt so sick in all my life. I wish I could just return it to Best Buy.

When I had a Vive I had/tried about 10-15 games and get great in all of them. I got the PSVR and felt fine in all of them...then I got Rigs. Jesus, now I can't even stand up straight. Never felt so sick in all my life. I wish I could just return it to Best Buy.
Try switching to stick aim if you didn't already. With head aim I couldn't even play for a minute before getting sick. Changed to stick aim and was fine for the all the 8+ hours I played the game.

Bluecondor

It's crazy Isn't it?

What's also crazy is that I'm enjoying tech demos and small indie games more then BF1, Dragon Quest Builders and Destiny. VR is that much more immersive and fun then big budget 2d games.

It really is video games 2.0

I agree with you. I have little interest in most of the AAA games that are released, but I find myself looking into every PSVR game that is announced. I am really looking forward to the games that will be announced for PSVR at the Sony press conference at E3 2017.

Got some greasy smudges on my lenses. The blue PS cloth is worthless, just smears it all over the lens. Bought a new lenspen, while better than the cloth there still is a film over my lenses...but it doesn't affect me during gameplay.
Hope my newly ordered fancy microfibre cloth will be better than both solutions I tried till now.

Sorry for DP. No film here. No idea what causes that. Maybe it was too greasy? I use the brush and then the Lenspen. Looks clear as crystal now.

Try switching to stick aim if you didn't already. With head aim I couldn't even play for a minute before getting sick. Changed to stick aim and was fine for the all the 8+ hours I played the game.
I did but for some reason I couldn't orient the rig straight ahead. I try to recenter but I was having to constantly keep my head turned a little left

majik13

So are Launch bundles no longer being restocked, yeah? Youd think this would be a standard bundle going forward and not just a launch thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom