• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grinchy

Banned
I thought this too until I realised you also need to be shooting him to slow him down, keep one gun on him and the other on barrels and above. Made it pretty simple in the end leaving a big gap between me and him.

Ahhh, ok I guess I was doing that naturally the first time then. The previous boss was the same way where if you weren't doing damage fast enough, it just killed you with a wave of birds that you could usually kill but in this case were unkillable. I love this game, but some of its mechanics are frustratingly unintuitive.

Theonik

I meant to ask btw, does the cinema mode work at 120fps and does 3D sound work with it? If so it might be cool to hook this thing up to a PC.

I took advantage of the Target 2-for-1 and got Rigs and Battlezone. I was going to get Rigs anyway so this was a good deal, I'm kind of glad I wasn't patient enough earlier this week to get a copy from the case. Third game was Rise of the Tomb Raider but I'm thinking I might just return it.

border

I took advantage of the Target 2-for-1 and got Rigs and Battlezone. I was going to get Rigs anyway so this was a good deal, I'm kind of glad I wasn't patient enough earlier this week to get a copy from the case. Third game was Rise of the Tomb Raider but I'm thinking I might just return it.

What other PSVR titles can you buy at Target? I've bought everything digitally so far, so I don't know what is available at retail.

Shoeless

Guys, is Here They Lie worth getting? Whats the objective of the game and how long is the game?

It depends on what kind of gaming you're into. First, there's the Buyer Beware that the game is on "The List" for having a chance of causing motion sickness, because its control system is closer to "traditional" with motion on the left stick and turning on the right stick, though they try to reduce this by having a "fade to black" as you turn on the right stick, since it's the actual horizontal movement that seems to induce nausea in a lot of people.

Beyond that, it's primarily a psychological horror game, with the emphasis on moody atmosphere. There are a few jump scares here and there, and there are some stealth sections as well, but by an large, it's mostly more a "walking simulator" style game in which you wander around, hear audio recordings, and experience some pretty bizarre sequences.

The game is about 3-4 hours long on a first playthrough, depending on your comfort issues. I actually enjoyed it a lot, but it IS blurry. They tried to do traditional, high quality graphics with the environments, so the resolution took a pretty big hit as a result of that.

However, if you're looking for a very unusual, very atmospheric psychological horror experience closer to Jacob's Ladder then it I'd recommend it. I enjoyed my time with the game.

What other PSVR titles can you buy at Target? I've bought everything digitally so far, so I don't know what is available at retail.

I ordered online and picked up Rigs and Tomb Raider in the store. Battlezone is being shipped to my house. When I went in to pick it up the only other ones I saw in store were Batman and Driveclub. I was in there about a week ago and they had VR Worlds too, but the guy told me they only stocked 1-2 copies of each VR game so YMMV.

If you do it online shipping is free for 3-5 business days if you can wait. When browsing the store online it looks like anything with retail packaging other than limited edition stuff like Rez is available.

Care to elaborate on that thought? Seems to me this plus the Pro enhanced release language are the closest we have been to 60 fps being a gameplay performance thing on consoles.
Outside of VR, I dont think most developers are ever going to prioritize frame rate over pretty graphics for consoles. The majority of game buyers don't care, or notice.

Soi-Fong

Outside of VR, I dont think most developers are ever going to prioritize frame rate over pretty graphics for consoles. The majority of game buyers don't care, or notice.

Pretty much this. For the majority of casual console fans, that stuff doesn't matter unless it becomes basically unplayable.

A co-worker of mine for example brought up how playing BF1 MP on the XB1, his framerate was taking a hit when the Zeppelin went down next to him. He said it didn't bother him though since it's basically an expectation for that sorta thing.

As long as framerate isn't completely borked, most casuals won't care.

III-V

I can't recall (someone please prove me wrong) that a console has been advertised as 'enhanced gameplay - support for faster framer rates delivers' blah blah... besides the PSVR, which mandated a '60 fps+ reprojection' or 90 fps or greater.

Now I know I am being a bit optimistic, but damn, it is finally official... 60 fps is a game play enhancement, and that 30 fps cinema choice is not a preferred 'gameplay' frame rate.

Pretty much this. For the majority of casual console fans, that stuff doesn't matter unless it becomes basically unplayable.

A co-worker of mine for example brought up how playing BF1 MP on the XB1, his framerate was taking a hit when the Zeppelin went down next to him. He said it didn't bother him though since it's basically an expectation for that sorta thing.

As long as framerate isn't completely borked, most casuals won't care.

Shouldn't this line of thinking be long retired? Casuals care less about graphics than gameplay. What sells better? Mario Kart or The Order. I know lame example, but really Nintendo/ mobile games (eww) sell this case all the time. Look at CoD, the FPS casual dreamland, ...they know it plays great wether or not they can attribute that it is due to the solid 60 fps or not. Graphics look similar to the past 3 releases.

oatmeal

Banned
I wish that there was a...demo section for all of those weird and fucked up demos the Oculus had. There were so many just experimental games that were just for the experience of VR...

I want those to come over...as someone who never got to try an Oculus, I feel like I'm missing out.

Gemeanie

I can't recall (someone please prove me wrong) that a console has been advertised as 'enhanced gameplay - support for faster framer rates delivers' blah blah... besides the PSVR, which mandated a '60 fps+ reprojection' or 90 fps or greater.

Now I know I am being a bit optimistic, but damn, it is finally official... 60 fps is a game play enhancement, and that 30 fps cinema choice is not a preferred 'gameplay' frame rate.

Shouldn't this line of thinking be long retired? Casuals care less about graphics than gameplay. What sells better? Mario Kart or The Order. I know lame example, but really Nintendo/ mobile games (eww) sell this case all the time. Look at CoD, the FPS casual dreamland, ...they know it plays great wether or not they can attribute that it is due to the solid 60 fps or not. Graphics look similar to the past 3 releases.
That's not really a great comparison between a franchise with with 20 year history with a game that's not reviewed well even among core. Nintendo mobile games have decent graphic (for mobile) with boring gameplay too.

Anyway I think what he's saying is between
Gameplay+graphic and gameplay+60fps
Casuals are more likely to pick the former.

tr00per

For those of you who have played RIGS, should I put much stock in the stats of the rigs I buy? Because it seems that there are a handful of good ones and the rest are shite.

And also, does it force anyone else to look right of center? I don't mean gradual drift but from the moment it starts it acts as though the center is off to the right about 15 degrees or so. This is the only game I have that acts this way

One thing I also noticed is that even in offline mode, the game doesn't pause. If you go to the options menu or the system menu, the game keeps going without you (like an online game would) which is a big PITA personally.

This isn't to hate on the game, it is brilliant with good value for the money but these should be simple fixes, no?

Also, where are you guys finding these demos for ace banana and windlands and tethered? They don't appear to be on the US store unless I missed them somehow

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
You guys weren't kidding about Pixel Gear. The controls are polished AF.

Soi-Fong

For those of you who have played RIGS, should I put much stock in the stats of the rigs I buy? Because it seems that there are a handful of good ones and the rest are shite.

And also, does it force anyone else to look right of center? I don't mean gradual drift but from the moment it starts it acts as though the center is off to the right about 15 degrees or so. This is the only game I have that acts this way

One thing I also noticed is that even in offline mode, the game doesn't pause. If you go to the options menu or the system menu, the game keeps going without you (like an online game would) which is a big PITA personally.

This isn't to hate on the game, it is brilliant with good value for the money but these should be simple fixes, no?

Also, where are you guys finding these demos for ace banana and windlands and tethered? They don't appear to be on the US store unless I missed them somehow

A lot of the Rigs are viable, it's just a matter of playstyle. As well as that, some game modes are more suited for certain Rigs. For example, Thief is pretty much the perfect type of Rig for end zone.

Flandy

I have $40 in my PSN account. Debating between grabbing Sports Bar VR or saving it for Eagle Flight or something. Any suggestions?

Grinchy

Banned
I have $40 in my PSN account. Debating between grabbing Sports Bar VR or saving it for Eagle Flight or something. Any suggestions?

Tethered is pretty fucking awesome if you like strategy games. Imagine a cartoony and more laid-back version of Age of Empires. You're constantly kept busy managing resources and planning building stages and then you get attacked during the nights.

Flandy

Tethered is pretty fucking awesome if you like strategy games. Imagine a cartoony and more laid-back version of Age of Empires. You're constantly kept busy managing resources and planning building stages and then you get attacked during the nights.

Already have it along with Rigs, Until Dawn, Windlands, VR Worlds, Batman, Driveclub, Rez, Thumper, Harmonix Music VR, and The Brookhaven Experiment :p

182Ways

In looking up used launch bundles on Amazon, they describe the condition as this:

Condition and notes:
Used - Very Good
Downloadable content (DLC) or codes for online play may require additional purchase.

What DLC might they be referring to?

oatmeal

Banned
Hell yeah, buddy! What was the first "OMG" moment for you?
For me it was when Frank asked me to light his cigar and I did it using the lighter.
That whole sequence was just really wild...sitting there...I kept wanting to put my arms on the table. Holding the lighter up to my ear and hearing the gas burning in it is really something.

That, and then the driving chase bit...just wow.

Tried Battletanks and that was really impressive.

Here They Lie is terrible.

Just bought Batman...excited for that.

tr00per

A lot of the Rigs are viable, it's just a matter of playstyle. As well as that, some game modes are more suited for certain Rigs. For example, Thief is pretty much the perfect type of Rig for end zone.

Word. I got that. Personally I can't stand the impulse cannon but the laser beam is where it's at. It just seems that a couple rigs out class the rest.

Somewhat interested in this but admittedly I'm terrible at RTS games. How is the difficulty?

Not sure about Windlands and Tethered but Ace Banana demo is included in Asia version demo disc

Gotcha. So a Japanese account could download it, say?

In looking up used launch bundles on Amazon, they describe the condition as this:

What DLC might they be referring to?

Sounds like a generic disclaimer for online passes. I wouldn't worry about it

I'm not a fan of looking to dictate where you move. Here they lie is unplayable for me, it feels so unnatural. I can walk and turn my head you know! Maybe that would make some people sick but it should be an option anyway.

Fisty

Got the Until Dawn Rush of Blood platinum today. My progress on my Psychotic playthrough was as follows.

Levels 1-4: one try each
Level 5: 3 tries
Level 6: 2 tries
Level 7: 13 tries

Grinchy

Banned
Somewhat interested in this but admittedly I'm terrible at RTS games. How is the difficulty?

I can't claim to be any good at RTS games at all as I haven't played one since probably Age of Empires 2 lol. I am not finding Tethered overly difficult so far, but it keeps me fully concentrated and busy in order to keep up with the work flow.

I'm not a fan of looking to dictate where you move. Here they lie is unplayable for me, it feels so unnatural. I can walk and turn my head you know! Maybe that would make some people sick but it should be an option anyway.

Not a huge fan of excessive head movement in VR games in general. As much as I like the Playroom VR platformer, it sort of made me a bit dizzy with the weird transitions and excessive head movements.

Shoeless

This is definitely a Your Mileage May Vary issue for specific individuals. But at least with one of the earlier reports of RE7 in VR at a show a few months back, it was shown that a pretty large number of people respond very badly to "traditional" movement controls. When movement is on the left stick and the camera is both R3 and head movement, a lot of people get nauseous.

Cleve

Just played through Until Dawn in one sitting. A bit on the short side, but I really enjoyed it. Made for a great pre-Halloween scare.

I thought it was reasonably long for a lightgun game (which this basically is) replaying the harder difficulties has been pretty fun too

NateDrake

Have Until Dawn, Batman, and Thumper so far. Planning to get Robinson and Eagle Flight. Any other upcoming VR releases I should look into? Is Re7 the next major VR release?

Fisty

So did anybody end up getting the Collective Minds PSVR stand? Release date came and now it's temporarily unavailable and people seem to be saying they aren't getting shipping confirmation. I was really looking forward to impressions

BadHand

i'm really enjoying tethered, but, when one of my little men get attacked they forget their task. Why can't they just pick up what they were doing after the battle?

farisr

So did anybody end up getting the Collective Minds PSVR stand? Release date came and now it's temporarily unavailable and people seem to be saying they aren't getting shipping confirmation. I was really looking forward to impressions
Here in Canada, Best Buy changed the release date from October 28th to November 11th. It's still up as a pre-order.

Grinchy

Banned
i'm really enjoying tethered, but, when one of my little men get attacked they forget their task. Why can't they just pick up what they were doing after the battle?

Yeah this is definitely one of the annoying things that go on. They just drop the resource they were carrying, get in a fight, and then stand there while the resource fades away.

bumpkin

That whole sequence was just really wild...sitting there...I kept wanting to put my arms on the table. Holding the lighter up to my ear and hearing the gas burning in it is really something.

That, and then the driving chase bit...just wow.

Tried Battletanks and that was really impressive.

Here They Lie is terrible.

Just bought Batman...excited for that.
Oh yeah, that was one of my favorite parts of the game! I felt like I was living that highway shoot-out scene from the Matrix Reloaded. Every time I noticed some other subtle thing I could do like opening the door, messing with the radio or even looking out the window behind us, I grinned ear to ear.

Speaking of The London Heist, does anyone know what all of the interactions you can do during "Interrogation" are? I feel like I've done them all, but the challenge is still marked as incomplete. Also, do they all have to be done in the same play-through or do they accumulate when you replay it?

Batman is awesome, I played that through to 100% completion. So good!

Batman should have its own thread. Game is something else. PC is getting this later right? We are all on one VR team. I want more people to experience this.

tr00per

I can't claim to be any good at RTS games at all as I haven't played one since probably Age of Empires 2 lol. I am not finding Tethered overly difficult so far, but it keeps me fully concentrated and busy in order to keep up with the work flow.

Ah that metric actually works for me :p thanks

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Batman should have its own thread. Game is something else. PC is getting this later right? We are all on one VR team. I want more people to experience this.

It's coming to PC. March at the earliest.

panda-zebra

Gotcha. So a Japanese account could download it, say?

So, O! My Genesis VR is coming out this week -- I had no idea it was really. Ok ... to be honest, I barely even remember it existed, but it looks amazing! Has anyone played the demo?

https://youtu.be/t5YGjKqBs14

Here's my post from earlier in the thread:

Made a Hong Kong PSN account and grabbed the demo disc from there - it's got 3 titles mine doesn't have so might be worth a download for some as all are in English if you set your account up correctly. Not sure if it's widely known so will write a few words here, links are some random yt channel.

O! My Genesis - God game using Moves, the world is in front of you, spin it around, make stuff grow, watch your little creatures breed and protect them from meteors and predators. Fun stuff.

Ace Banana - Use Moves to shoot monkeys with bow and arrow. Janky as fuck but entertaining in a weird way, not least of which the voiceover that seems to have been done via google translate and text-to-speech lol

Mortal Blitz - Interesting stuff, a twin Move shooter using blink to teleport once you've cleared an area/segment. Really tidy graphics and looks great when you're being rushed by the bad guys. Give yourself a good play area and you can use cover nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom