• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I wish we had a game like Batman Arkham VR in full length. The game is incredible. Too bad that all the launch games are so short.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
So if there's more Driveclub stuff coming, who the hell is making all this? Was there a complete studio change? Did Sony buy Evolution? What did I miss here?

So if there's more Driveclub stuff coming, who the hell is making all this? Was there a complete studio change? Did Sony buy Evolution? What did I miss here?

Evolution were part of Sony, they closed them down and most moved on to Codemasters, a few continued working on the VR, as for the bikes, if it's true, I'm unsure who is working on it, last I heard in the Sony announcement of Evolution was that WWS would be handling it all. Then we heard nothing afterwards of their work.

Gemeanie

The studio that made Tethered was founded by ex-Evolution developers too, including co-founders of Evolution
https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...ame-from-former-evolution-studios-developers/

Who the hell are we? We founded our studio back in April 2015 with our eyes firmly fixed on VR. Our small team included co-founders of Evolution Studios and Rage and between us we had over 100 years of game dev experience (what the…!). Collectively we’ve shipped over 50 titles on 10 different platforms. Our background in development, however sobering the numbers (yikes!) – combined with the fact that we’re just nuts for games – has given us a firm grounding as we modestly step into the realms of indie development. Our team is now 15 strong and growing! Our little studio is full of passionate and creative people – Oh, and we have a lake!

DjRalford

Played the first level after the tutorial on tethered last night, I had a load go into despair and jump off a cliff top, then realised I didn't have enough food. Lol

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Doesn't really sound like you took Skyrim to the next level tbh ;-) Try something like Windlands if you want a thrilling sandbox. Obviously a polar opposite looks-wise to Skyrim, but the freedom and sense of scale are incredible. Something like Arkham VR shows that made-for-VR titles, with AAA productions skills, are the way forwards rather than shoehorning "proper games" into a helmet, but each to his own :)

I mean, to each his own as you said. Something like Windlands does look like fun (and once I get some Move controllers, I'll get it) but my expectations from VR are not to redo gaming from scratch, hopefully most games have VR implementation going forward and the unique experiences will feel like fully fledged games instead of charging 20 bucks for a gimmick.

oudy79

Neo Member
I mean, to each his own as you said. Something like Windlands does look like fun (and once I get some Move controllers, I'll get it) but my expectations from VR are not to redo gaming from scratch, hopefully most games have VR implementation going forward and the unique experiences will feel like fully fledged games instead of charging 20 bucks for a gimmick.

I think windlands doesn't work with move controllers yet.

*Splinter

My friends don't have VR :(
Add me: BOL-EvilSplinter (UK for online games, add me anyway for leaderboards I guess).

For those of you who have played RIGS, should I put much stock in the stats of the rigs I buy? Because it seems that there are a handful of good ones and the rest are shite.
I think the weapons on each rig are important, but stats definitely matter too.

Personally I'd avoid anything with a Warhead - OP for the bots but too hard to be accurate with it. Rail and impulse launcher are also tricky but can be used well.

Personal favourite: Blood Bank (Vampire Sentinel). I don't like the Sentinel jump but this rig is too good. Good armour, fastest sentinel, great weapons (beam + rail), best ability. This rig is pretty overpowered.

Good all rounder: Painkiller (Engineer Mirage). Mirage have the easiest/best jumping ability, and this rig has decent speed and armour. The ability is very useful for supporting teammates who are in a fight (or running for a touchdown/powerplant goal). Only thing that lets it down is the slightly weak firepower (machine gun + homing missiles).

Best for end zone: Bad Medicine (Thief Hunter). No contest. Small, decent weapons (impulse launcher and I think machine gun), fast as hell, plus the thief ability is just made for end zone. Put some Engineer teammates on and you'll be unstoppable.

Best if you're aim is impossibly good: The Engineer Tempest (Angel I think?). Can fly, heal teammates, and has dual rail guns. Crazy damage but hard to use (I can't).

If you do trials (which are quite fun/useful training modes) use the Vampire rigs. Usually fastest in class and all have a beam weapon (or two) which is all you need for targets. The instant heal is also useful for the "kill all rigs" trials but bare in mind they have low armour as well.

And all abilities I haven't mentioned are trash :D although weapons/stats are more important anyway.

Love Rigs! Shame the online is quite dead, it seems.

I think windlands doesn't work with move controllers yet.
How does it work then? From videos it looked like you need 2 separate controllers.
I like the look of this game, might pick it up.

Do we have any indication of when the battlefront VR mission will come out really excited to play but seem to have gone quite on that front has me a little worried.

somme

Anyone had an issue similar to this?

Basically the HDMI from the processing unit has suddenly stopped working. Nothing is appearing on the TV, though if I put on the headset, that works.

I swapped the HDMI leads over and it still didn't work. Then I bypassed the processing unit, using the old HDMI cable and the PS4 menu appeared on the TV.

It seems as though the HDMI from the unit to TV just stopped working. The PS4 would've gone to sleep last night (fell asleep watching Netflix) and now I have this issue.

EDIT: I got it to work. Did the old IT Crowd trick, turned it off and on again. (completely powered down and turned off the power at the electrical outlet.) PHEW!

lazybum

Neo Member
How does it work then? From videos it looked like you need 2 separate controllers.

you use your head to "aim" your hooks and the DS4 to control movement/jumping with the triggers firing the hooks. It actually works pretty well, but after playing it on the Vive I definitely prefer using the motion controls and look forward to Move support. I'm unsure how we'll control movement using the Move since it doesn't have a dpad/scroll pad.

BaldusCattus

Neo Member
Speaking of The London Heist, does anyone know what all of the interactions you can do during "Interrogation" are? I feel like I've done them all, but the challenge is still marked as incomplete. Also, do they all have to be done in the same play-through or do they accumulate when you replay it?

IIRC, you can view the full challenge list in the frontend. Select London Heist from the horizontal carousel, and you should see a button prompt appear under the logo - Square, I think?

None of the accumulating challenges need to be done in one playthrough, unless they specifically say so.

El-Suave

I hope we get some sales success stories from the software side eventually. Of course the install base is too small to produce smash hits yet, but a tweet by some devs or publishers saying they are pleased with the initial sales would be nice.

Mokubba

Is that the hunter or the tempest?

I like the tempest (flying + dual beams is pretty trolly) but they're very fragile.

Yea it's the tempest and it's netted me a lot of wins.

But I learnt a lesson when I went up against a team of 3 Star Engineer rigs all with the smart homing missiles. I was a sitting duck in the air.

It was good though because it shows you have to think about your RIG choice instead of using one to win everything.

Has anyone played the full version of Here They Lie yet? The demo was okay, but I'm not super sure about it, seems like it could go either way. Only really finding a lot of previews, but little reviews or impressions on the final product.

So, O! My Genesis VR is coming out this week -- I had no idea it was really. Ok ... to be honest, I barely even remember it existed, but it looks amazing! Has anyone played the demo?

https://youtu.be/t5YGjKqBs14

Considering PSVR is not recommended for under 12, Im not sure what these game makers were thinking with the voice over woman talking like she's speaking to a 5 year old. :/ I couldn't make it past her initial intro.

They do realise that the headset is pricey and this is targeted at adults? (Mostly)

panda-zebra

In windlands you move with the left stick, rotate with the right, aim with your head and fire the grapples with triggers on the ds4 - it works really well, to the the point where I'd probably not even bother with the Moves and leave them charging for games that need them. For me, Moves are more for standing experiences (Batman, Job Sim, Harmonix, Rush of Blood, etc.). Windlands is something I'd prefer to play for hours sat on my arse instead, don't think I'd enjoy flailing around with waggle for that amount of time... I also can't imagine how moving around without analogue sticks could possibly work. Could get away with it with a Nav controller, but they're not a thing for psvr, are they?

*Splinter

In windlands you move with the left stick, rotate with the right, aim with your head and fire the grapples with triggers on the ds4 - it works really well, to the the point where I'd probably not even bother with the Moves and leave them charging for games that need them. For me, Moves are more for standing experiences (Batman, Job Sim, Harmonix, Rush of Blood, etc.). Windlands is something I'd prefer to play for hours sat on my arse instead, don't think I'd enjoy flailing around with waggle for that amount of time... I also can't imagine how moving around without analogue sticks could possibly work. Could get away with it with a Nav controller, but they're not a thing for psvr, are they?
Interesting... Thought I'd need Move before getting this game, sounds like it's worth trying already. Thanks for the info.

iratA

One of the best things about PSVR is the high frame rate. Hopefully, this can become more desired in the console space.

Yeah, any frame rate junkies that haven't considered PSVR yet, really should. Everything and I mean e v e r t h i n g is buttery smooth. Combined with the FOV its like playing games developed in 2030.

Yeah, any frame rate junkies that haven't considered PSVR yet, really should. Everything and I mean e v e r t h i n g is buttery smooth. Combined with the FOV its like playing games developed in 2030.

Yeah that's certainly something I noticed and it's amazing how it makes you forget you're actually viewing a screen, the fact that there is no judder or anything when moving your head around is stunning, looking around in Driveclub is just something natural and flawless.

El-Suave

Do we have any indication of when the battlefront VR mission will come out really excited to play but seem to have gone quite on that front has me a little worried.

My bet is on PSX, we should at least get the exact date then - hopefully it's one if those "...and it's available RIGHT NOW!" deals.

Until Dawn: Rush of Blood was the highlight of my Halloween party. Lots of people who weren't even aware of VR or hadn't tried PSVR yet, they all had a blast and many minds were blown lol

iratA

Until Dawn: Rush of Blood was the highlight of my Halloween party. Lots of people who weren't even aware of VR or hadn't tried PSVR yet, they all had a blast and many minds were blown lol

Such a great game, if you like Roller Coasters and Haunted House amusement park rides its a no-brainer. Want to have an amusement park ride in your own home? Now you can, I get vertigo on Until Dawn Rush Of Blood and others I've shown have too. Imagine a ride in the comfort of your own home on a comfy couch without the having to line up in the heat, pay per ride or per park visit, not having to drive to the amusement park (spending the fuel) jostling for a car park etc. etc. This alone justified the PSVR purchase for me!

ckohler

Wayward Sky

I bought Wayward Sky last night and played through a bit of the first chapter. It's charming as hell and I love the laid back atmosphere (no pun intended). The robot characters are cute and the soundtrack soothing.

But what most impressed me is the image quality! Why is nobody talking about this?! Of all the PSVR games I've played so far, Wayward Sky has far and away the best overall image quality. Everything in the game looks in focus at all times. Nothing is blurry, even at a distance. I can't understand why everything looks so much more in focus here. There's also no aliasing. All of the edges are crisp but with no jaggies. There must be some kind of supersampling going on here. Regardless, the IQ in this game is as good as Playroom VR which is saying a lot. Even the "flashlights" you hold look crisp and defined with no jaggies.

The motion tracking works great and I love how the game switches between standard point-and-click adventure to first person puzzle solving. It's really neat to be looking down at the world in miniature to then suddenly be "IN" that world where the scale of everything changes to be huge. The puzzles so far have been super easy but I don't even mind considering how enthralling the presentation is.

Peltz

Anyone had an issue similar to this?

Basically the HDMI from the processing unit has suddenly stopped working. Nothing is appearing on the TV, though if I put on the headset, that works.

I swapped the HDMI leads over and it still didn't work. Then I bypassed the processing unit, using the old HDMI cable and the PS4 menu appeared on the TV.

It seems as though the HDMI from the unit to TV just stopped working. The PS4 would've gone to sleep last night (fell asleep watching Netflix) and now I have this issue.

EDIT: I got it to work. Did the old IT Crowd trick, turned it off and on again. (completely powered down and turned off the power at the electrical outlet.) PHEW!

I've noticed that the HDMI handshake tends to fail with my receiver and/or HDTV more often than usual with the PSVR setup. Changing inputs on my receiver, then changing back fixes the issue. No need for a restart.

HDMI handshakes can be slightly finicky at times, and I think there's something about all the HDMI cords in PSVR that makes things slightly more error prone.

On my other systems, the handshake will fail maybe once in a blue moon - every few months or so. With PS4, I've now seen it 2 or 3 times since setting up PSVR.

I can't believe that in 10 days I will be playing Robinson The Journey (a first person dinosaur game!) in PSVR enhanced with my PS4Pro

This is the most exciting game moment of the year for me!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Just finished Wayward Sky. Awesome game that I highly recommend. Incredible sense of scale and the art style lend itself well to vr.

Very minor gripe is the puzzles are a little simple. But I didn't mind because it made it a relaxing game.

I beat it too. Super relaxing with a good cute story. The art is great!

Hyper Void has a free VR update that has gone live in Europe (not sure about elsewhere).

Could appeal to those who are fans of Rez/Thumper/Jeff Minter visual styles.

This looks interesting....Is it up in America?

Mendrox

I can't believe that in 10 days I will be playing Robinson The Journey (a first person dinosaur game!) in PSVR enhanced with my PS4Pro

This is the most exciting game moment of the year for me!

I still cant believe that the character uses a move like controler even though you don't use one yourself. :|

alienator

Maybe a dumbass question, but my mate has picked up a psVR this afternoon, could i shareplay my VR titles with him, and he would he be able to try them in VR ?

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
Excuse the dumb question, but anyone using the PSVR with a projector setup? I don't have a TV so want to make sure it works before I get one. I don't know if any of the leads or the camera are meant to pass through the tv or if you need a certain amount of light for the camera to work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom