• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
I echo pretty much what everyone else has said about the COD Jackal Assault. It looks good but the shots and explosions are lacking. overall it is short and brief but engaging and leaves you wanting more. I prefer how EVE:V handles personally as I feel JA is slightly sluggish but guessing that might have been done to help with reducing nausea.

As it is a short side project developed by another team built in unity I think it is pretty decent for what it is, it feels polished but more of a proof of concept. Work on the feedback, the controls and flesh it out and I'd happily play that for hours as long as there is a solid single player game there.

I have a feeling that in the long run of VR accommodating to those that experience simulation sickness is going to put a dampener on a lot of games for me, with Jackal Assault everything felt like it was around a 2 on the scale of intensity but would have preferred it to be about 8.

Ordered two lens pens from another company. Couldn't find the Niko ones here :/.

Eitherway, what's included in the PSVR Worlds?

Nikon lenspen is made by LensPen ( it's a company called LensPen who made these for Nikon, probably they make them for other top tier Photo brands too )

Would't worry, others pens also do the job

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Tried PSVR for the first time at the local GameXpo today. Driveclub certainly was more immersive experience on VR, but with a loss of visual clarity and comfortability. I had to set the headset downwards to my nose, so it was higher on the back of my head, to prevent blurring of the image.

I dunno, if the gameplay settings were different on VR, or if it was due to using a wheel instead of pad, but I had hard time keeping the BAC Mono in control, which is in stark contrast to how it handles in the regular version. I also wish they had used something else than a race track for the demo units, as they're the most boring type of courses in the game.

Unfortunately, booking the play session online didn't work very well, and waiting ages in line wasn't appealing, so I didn't have the chance to try the horror games on VR.

So, it was not the best kind of first experience for me. It was also disappointing, that there was no PS4 Pro on display.

Here's a picture I took from the event:

They are showing off the new Resident Evil 7 game there too?

Melchiah

Nope. That was the biggest disappointment, especially as it'll be launched next week. It would have been nice to see the 4K and HDR effect in person.

EDIT:
Seriously! At this point all Sony sponsored events should have the Pro there.

We were also surprised, that there was no Gears of War 4 in the Xbox area. Most of the games in all areas were just sports, fighters, and FPS. It seemed like the event was mostly for competitive players.

antibolo

Banned
Anyone try the $3 god game they just put up on PSN? Wondering why it's so cheap.

Oh wow it's cheap. I guess I'll buy it.

I tried the demo on the Asia region demo disc and it was a pretty decent little game. I wasn't really planning on buying it, but at that price it's a no-brainer.

ckohler

Picked up Tumble VR full version. It's funny how great this game is even if half the time you're just stacking blocks or whatever. Some of the situations are really fun! For instance, fit all these given blocks on the platform but there's a "limbo stick" a short way up that moves back and forth and will knock your piece off if you try building that high. Fitting all the blocks onto this tiny space is a fun challenge.

Tumble VR is hands down the best value on PSVR right now. It's got lots of content and is an actual game. Every time you think you're on the last zone, a new one opens up with new game mechanics. There's also a ton of challenges for the previous levels.

I know Driveclub looks like Vaseline but damn if its not amazing. Chasing your friends ghost around a track while listening to spotify is like a religious experience.

I gave that Eye Distance adjustment a whirl that I found a video about on YouTube. It's hard to say if it made a drastic difference in picture sharpness. The adjustment process only yielded a 3mm difference from the default. I guess we'll see when I go in and start playing some games; I just went through the adjustment process and looked around the Dashboard/menus with it on. I guess things looked a hair sharper?

The invaluable tip I did take from the video was letting the headset warm up before putting it on to avoid the fogging issue. The guy in the video said a half hour, but I only did 15 minutes and it was fine.

I was wondering why my headset kept fogging up at the start yesterday. I wondered if it was because it's now warmer and I just ate a curry

Anyone try the $3 god game they just put up on PSN? Wondering why it's so cheap.

Alright guys here is my impressions so far of O! My Genesis VR:

To start, I can describe it like any other God Sim Game (like Tethered). Your main goal is to protect the (Ali?) and make them survive long enough for them to worship you and make you get all your powers to help them.

Pros:
- The Game is Fun: Lots of things to do and to keep you busy on one planet alone.
- It has Save Slots: So you can save your progress on one planet but if you want to try something different like kill everything on the planet it won't affect your progress.
- It's Cheap: While only having two planets and two game modes, it has an attractive price point and also has more planets coming soon.

Cons:
- Graphics look a bit dull
- Only one main planet (for now)

grendelrt

Alright guys here is my impressions so far of O! My Genesis VR:

To start, I can describe it like any other God Sim Game (like Tethered). Your main goal is to protect the (Ali?) and make them survive long enough for them to worship you and make you get all your powers to help them.

Pros:
- The Game is Fun: Lots of things to do and to keep you busy on one planet alone.
- It has Save Slots: So you can save your progress on one planet but if you want to try something different like kill everything on the planet it won't affect your progress.
- It's Cheap: While only having two planets and two game modes, it has an attractive price point and also has more planets coming soon.

Cons:
- Graphics look a bit dull
- Only one main planet (for now)

I jumped, why not its like the price of a taco

Ammogeddon

Had a couple of goes on the Call of duty VR mission, pretty cool, shame it's so short though.

The graphic quality is up there with the best of VR at this time I would say. To think this is just on the standard PS4 makes me even more excited for the pro next week.

somme

I enjoyed the free Call of Duty VR mission and was pleased when it didn't end quite as quickly as Eve's demo, which was way too short to gauge whether I wanted to purchase the full game.

Obviously I've never been to space, but neither of them made me actually feel as though I was in space. Not sure how to explain it really, and not sure whether it's just me or whether they'll be able to nail how being in space looks in TV/film.

Shoeless

Obviously I've never been to space, but neither of them made me actually feel as though I was in space. Not sure how to explain it really, and not sure whether it's just me or whether they'll be able to nail how being in space looks in TV/film.

This is actually one of the reasons I was bummed about Adrift not being PS VR compatible. I was really looking forward to that as "Gravity: The Game," and then they went and disabled VR display for the PS4 version.

Hopefully they'll reinstate it at some point.

somme

This is actually one of the reasons I was bummed about Adrift not being PS VR compatible. I was really looking forward to that as "Gravity: The Game," and then they went and disabled VR display for the PS4 version.

Hopefully they'll reinstate it at some point.

That'd be nice!

I guess one of the issues with actually being in space is unless you're really close to other ships, asteroids or other space junk you don't really get a sense of speed.

nampad

I will finally get my PSVR tomorrow and I have some questions:

1. Is the PSVR Demo in the EU PSN store the same as the demo disc that is included?
2. Is there any overview on which PSVR content is exclusive to which PSN store (like Danganronpa VR to the Japanese PSN)?

Ammogeddon

I enjoyed the free Call of Duty VR mission and was pleased when it didn't end quite as quickly as Eve's demo, which was way too short to gauge whether I wanted to purchase the full game.

Funny you should say that, I thought the same.

At the end of the mission where it shows your score and you're floating above earth I thought it would be great just to have a fully realised VR experience where you're just floating around the planet.

I mean I would be happy with Google Earth VR and some chilled music.

Ammogeddon

I will finally get my PSVR tomorrow and I have some questions:

1. Is the PSVR Demo in the EU PSN store the same as the demo disc that is included?
2. Is there any overview on which PSVR content is exclusive to which PSN store (like Danganronpa VR to the Japanese PSN)?

The demo disc on the EU PSN has a few more demos than the disc. I downloaded it and haven't touched the disc since.

I can't answer your other query sorry.

SeanR1221

After thinking about it all day, I'm going to return my device to GameStop.

There shouldn't be any problems right? I assume it's treated as an accessory. I didn't even open the demo disk.

Still sold out here in Japan. Been bothering the staff at a local store on an almost daily basis as they're not doing reservations for the device. They're probably tired of me at this point.

After thinking about it all day, I'm going to return my device to GameStop.

There shouldn't be any problems right? I assume it's treated as an accessory. I didn't even open the demo disk.
You should be OK, I'd imagine. Sorry it didn't pan out for you, bro.

-

Man that SHC demo is baller. Fun game but not for the price, IMO.

SeanR1221

You should be OK, I'd imagine. Sorry it didn't pan out for you, bro.

-

Man that SHC demo is baller. Fun game but not for the price, IMO.

I think it's a combo of getting a 4K tv (will have a pro next week) and just not being nearly as interested after that wow factor wears off.

I figure return now and if I ever change my mind it's not going anywhere to pickup again

I think it's a combo of getting a 4K tv (will have a pro next week) and just not being nearly as interested after that wow factor wears off.

I figure return now and if I ever change my mind it's not going anywhere to pickup again

I hear that. I get my pro next week but I'm still gaming on a 1080p monitor. You can always pick it up again when more stuff comes out that interests you.

MoonGred

I really wanna jump on one of these for RE7 but I've heard Kitchen looks pretty rough, is that true?

Yea it does look pretty rough, not as rough as driveclub though. For some reason it's the only game that made me sick within a minute of playing it.

I only got my psvr yesterday and only own one game (thumper which is amazing), after working my way through all the demos nothing has been as amazing as Battlezone, the scene of scale, artstyle and simplicity of the controls really make it a joy to play.

Now I can't decide whether or not to get that or Rez.

I'm open to other suggestions as well.

Fisty

Has anyone played the VR portion of Volume? It's on sale at the moment and I'm tempted to pick it up.

It's kinda hard to see since it's seems really low res, and I could barely read the text. Seemed to be made with Vive's room-scale in mind also, so it's not a great transition to PSVR. It's free though. I spent more time looking around the room than playing the game

Highly recommend the base game though, great game

I really wanna jump on one of these for RE7 but I've heard Kitchen looks pretty rough, is that true?

Kitchen is ancient, don't base expectations for RE7 on that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom