• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

bumpkin

Call of Duty Infinite Warfare Jackal Assault VR Experience

KVO0Bjy.jpg

YNRDFwF.jpg

egtRA2w.jpg

Short but sweet. It only takes a few minutes to clear the stage, you can go back and get a higher score. I really liked the control scheme for flight and aiming. It was a nice mix of VR head tracking and simple analog controls. Hope they add this to full game some how.
I saw a video on YouTube where some guy who played the demo at an expo said it made him nauseous. Did you get any VR ickyness from it?

Chris_C

What's a good game to benchmark move controller tracking in? . In other news, Pixel Gear is damned near flawless.

So which game do you benchmark your tracking in?

Ace Banana, which is published by the same company as Pixel Gear also has incredible tracking. It's seated, but I've played the demo "room scale" (within the PS VR tracking bounds) and it works great. Demo's only available on the Asian PS VR disc tho.

SeanR1221

Hm, I checked on my breakout box twice today and it was running (white light on).

The VR headset isn't even plugged in and I keep my PS4 ind set mode. Not sure I like that, I feel like it could break.

Hm, I checked on my breakout box twice today and it was running (white light on).

The VR headset isn't even plugged in and I keep my PS4 ind set mode. Not sure I like that, I feel like it could break.
That definitely is abnormal. I don't necessarily know about the last part, but there is something else at play here.

That definitely is abnormal. I don't necessarily know about the last part, but there is something else at play here.

I'm having the same issue. When powering down the PSVR it won't ever sleep the processor box. You can force it to sleep by holding down the power button on the PSVR. However, my box also has trouble turning back on from sleep, and if it's not white then it won't pass video to the tv even if you are only playing a standard PS4 game. Hope that it is just a bug that can be corrected in the next update to the headset.

So, I know there was a thread on it, but I cant find it at the moment.
Whats the best solution for using the PS4 Pro with the PS VR Box when usin HDR?

Some small device I think was in that thread regarding swapping the leads.

Also, I've asked before but I'll ask again, does anyone else find since introducing the VR Box to the HDMI connection from PS4 to TV, it takes longer to switch to your HDMI channel to display the PS4? Mine seems to take longer than usual.

CLEEK

I'm having the same issue. When powering down the PSVR it won't ever sleep the processor box. You can force it to sleep by holding down the power button on the PSVR. However, my box also has trouble turning back on from sleep, and if it's not white then it won't pass video to the tv even if you are only playing a standard PS4 game. Hope that it is just a bug that can be corrected in the next update to the headset.

I figure that the breakout box gets a signal that the PS4 is on or off from the USB connection. So maybe it's something to do with USB power when the PS4 is in rest mode. Try changing that option on the PS4 and see if putting the PS4 in rest mode puts the breakout box in standby (red light).

So, I know there was a thread on it, but I cant find it at the moment.
Whats the best solution for using the PS4 Pro with the PS VR Box when usin HDR?

Some small device I think was in that thread regarding swapping the leads.

Also, I've asked before but I'll ask again, does anyone else find since introducing the VR Box to the HDMI connection from PS4 to TV, it takes longer to switch to your HDMI channel to display the PS4? Mine seems to take longer than usual.
Here ya go.

A swtich will work, but read the thread for the gory details. I'm on mobile, else I'd expand upon this more. Sorry!

gogojira

I saw a video on YouTube where some guy who played the demo at an expo said it made him nauseous. Did you get any VR ickyness from it?

I didn't, but so far, none of the VR stuff has made me nauseous (haven't done Driveclub yet). Fun little experience. The only time I felt even remotely disoriented is when I was flying upside down, turning and shooting at ships. Nothing pukey, just a little disorienting (rightfully so).

Mezoly

I can't accept the license agreement in jackal assault. Tried reinstall and turning of controller. :(

Edit: after a second re-install and going fast through the 39 pages I was finally able to accept it.

iratA

Loved Jackal Assault! Played it a few times over. Its short but sweet! Will be showing many people this one. Thanks Activision this was a really Ace move on your part, BTW I would totally buy an expanded version of this. Calling it now, Best Cockpit in VR! Its godlike!

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Loved Jackal Assault! Played it a few times over. Its short but sweet! Will be showing many people this one. Thanks Activision this was a really Ace move on your part, BTW I would totally buy an expanded version of this. Calling it now, Best Cockpit in VR! Its godlike!

Damn. Hopefully they expand on it. Really hoping it has at least supersampling via PS4 Pro as well.

Eighthours

Cross-posting from the main Infinite Warfare thread:

Just played Jackal Assault. The most challenging thing is working out how to get off the licence screen (look DIRECTLY at the licence text while pressing X to accept). The level lasts 10 minutes at most. It looks really nice, aside from the rubbish explosions. There's really not much to it, but you can imagine how eventually someone is going to take the EVE/Jackal mechanics and pump them up to a full single player experience with a campaign, which will be ace. Until then, we have this. It's fine. Shooting baddies is easy but fun. Remember to invert your pitch with the Square button.

I don't know what else to say, really. It's a whole load of nothing. It happens. The cockpit's nice. You enjoy a bit of pew-pew-pew. It ends. Such is the life span of a short freebie.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Cross-posting from the main Infinite Warfare thread:

Just played Jackal Assault. The most challenging thing is working out how to get off the licence screen (look DIRECTLY at the licence text while pressing X to accept). The level lasts 10 minutes at most. It looks really nice, aside from the rubbish explosions. There's really not much to it, but you can imagine how eventually someone is going to take the EVE/Jackal mechanics and pump them up to a full single player experience with a campaign, which will be ace. Until then, we have this. It's fine. Shooting baddies is easy but fun. Remember to invert your pitch with the Square button.

I don't know what else to say, really. It's a whole load of nothing. It happens. The cockpit's nice. You enjoy a bit of pew-pew-pew. It ends. Such is the life span of a short freebie.

If you could kerb your excitement a tad next time you come in here and post that would be greatly appreciated but it's okay. We're used to gushing impressions.

If you could kerb your excitement a tad next time you come in here and post that would be greatly appreciated but it's okay. We're used to gushing impressions.

Just to counter the Debbie Downer

Last night I had my first go of co-op Battlezone and damn is it great fun! Really cannot recommend it enough.

It's a whole load of something, shit happens. The cockpit's great. You enjoy lots of pew-pew-pew and bang-bang-bang. It lasts a really long time. Such is the life span of an amazing tank game with friends!

Ozorov

Just to counter the Debbie Downer

Last night I had my first go of co-op Battlezone and damn is it great fun! Really cannot recommend it enough.

It's a whole load of something, shit happens. The cockpit's great. You enjoy lots of pew-pew-pew and bang-bang-bang. It lasts a really long time. Such is the life span of an amazing tank game with friends!

How's co-op in that game?

The IW space battle one is probably IW testing the waters and gauging from No. of downloads if they should make a real game. Good to hear positive impressions. I've downloaded it. Just don't feel like playing video games just yet.

How's co-op in that game?

Really great, it's drop in - drop out, mid game too so you can get new players joining to help out. As all the headsets have a microphone the communication between members can be key (advising of turrets or incoming waves, location of ammo etc) Most fun I've had online in a long time as I'm generally a single player guy other than racing games. I don't tend to do the co-op stuff or FPS. But honestly, get with a good group of people and you will have a blast on it.

*Splinter

Finished Windlands last night. It was short, but actually not as short as I expected: 5 and a half hours for a first, reasonably thorough, play through (90/120 collectibles). And I'll get a few more hours out of it when I go back for the remaining collectibles/trophies.

Loved the game itself, swinging around is fun if a little fiddly, and the momentum/jumping mechanics make for some cool puzzles. I like that the collectibles are generally easy to find, and it's more of a puzzle on how to reach them than a blind search through an open map. Challenge levels are also great and a nice change of pace from the usual exploration.

I got a little motion sickness from this, not enough to stop me playing and it usually fades after a few minutes, but that's still more motion sickness than any other game I've tried so far.

My only complaint is that so much of the traversal feels so awkward. I know thats most of the challenge of the game but I honestly got fed up of constantly straining my neck to look straight up. In later levels you spend more time looking up than anywhere else, it's uncomfortable on the next, earphones loosen/fall out, and the headset itself feels like it will slip off (unless you have it unconfortably tight). The hardest sections also get a bit repetitive as you just feel forced to repeat the same trick over and over again (unless I was missing something).

Those are minor complaints, I'd recommend this game to anyone who doesn't have too many problems with motion sickness. Don't expect a deep story, this is more about the casual exploration/puzzling.

(Oh, and if you have trouble getting your grappling hooks to work you might need to swap the shoulder buttons/triggers in your PS4's accessibility settings.)

SeanR1221

I figure that the breakout box gets a signal that the PS4 is on or off from the USB connection. So maybe it's something to do with USB power when the PS4 is in rest mode. Try changing that option on the PS4 and see if putting the PS4 in rest mode puts the breakout box in standby (red light).

Nope. It's still running. Between this, the tracking issues, the lack of passing HDR...this whole thing is a dud to me

Played IW space demo

Um

1) enemy ships explode with no fanfare = zzz
2) visuals + AA looks better than Eve
3) Controls better than Eve (I didn't get no motion sickness)

It feels like a good demo but the lack of oomph space fighting made it rather dull

Planet

I figure that the breakout box gets a signal that the PS4 is on or off from the USB connection.
That doesn't match my observations. I think it checks wether the HDMI outputs anything.

Whenever I download anything with the PS4 in stand-by, e.g. when I start a download via web store, the TV tells me that the PS4 is outputting a signal. When I switch to that input, there is nothing, of course, but the prompt comes up briefly.

And the breakout box behaves accordingly. If i have pending downloads when putting the PS4 in rest mode, the breakout box keeps the white lights (and the fan) on. Otherwise it turns red after a few seconds. I have activated the option to power USB for 3 hours.

SeanR1221

That doesn't match my observations. I think it checks wether the HDMI outputs anything.

Whenever I download anything with the PS4 in stand-by, e.g. when I start a download via web store, the TV tells me that the PS4 is outputting a signal. When I switch to that input, there is nothing, of course, but the prompt comes up briefly.

And the breakout box behaves accordingly. If i have pending downloads when putting the PS4 in rest mode, the breakout box keeps the white lights (and the fan) on. Otherwise it turns red after a few seconds. I have activated the option to power USB for 3 hours.

Yeah I'm not getting that at all. Something is wrong

I always prefer to have a game on disc rather than download it when it's possible and I would like to import the North American version of Batman : Arkham VR from amazon.com to France because it's only available digitally in Europe.

While I would have no issue playing the game in English, I'm more concerned about my family who are not speaking English at all.
So my question is : does anybody knows if the retail North american version of the game has multi-language ? Specifically french language ?

Thanks a lot to the Gaffer who will take the time to check this out for me !

I will answer myself in case another Gaffer was wondering the same : I imported the game and good news ! the North American retail version of the game is the same than the digital version sold in Europe : English dub with localized subtitles !

Ozorov

Ohh man, why that long?

No idea man. I don't think Sweden has got ONE shipment of Move controllers since PSVR-launched. And the store I've ordered the bundle from says 29 days, could be a guess.

Heck, I don't even think they had the Twin Pack in store for launch here.

Ozorov

What are you guys using to clean the lenses? I've heard that the cleaning cloth that comes with the PSVR isn't the best. Any tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom