• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same here! I hope it is good. And Robinson comes out next week, too, right? That one I'm going to wait for the Pro/reviews before I consider buying it.

Yup, looks like it still comes out on the 8th. Can't wait.

Kitchen is ancient, don't base expectations for RE7 on that

Yeah, beat me to it.
The main question is if Capcom (perhaps with some assistance from Sony) can hopefully fix whatever was causing the early RE7 E3 VR demo to make people queasy (aside from those who get it from just being able to move), but I'm sure they are putting a lot more work into the real game than a little demo that doesn't even contain content from the real game nor most of its features, so I hope it'll look good in there.

Yoooooo I just had my first weird experience. Was playing Battlezone when the framerate just TANKED. I closed the game and turned off the headset but my social screen just displayed what looked like static, but they were lines running up and down the screen. I could hear myself navigating the console but not see anything.

Shut it down using the console and rebooted. Fine again. WTF

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Yoooooo I just had my first weird experience. Was playing Battlezone when the framerate just TANKED. I closed the game and turned off the headset but my social screen just displayed what looked like static, but they were lines running up and down the screen. I could hear myself navigating the console but not see anything.

Shut it down using the console and rebooted. Fine again. WTF

So weird

Coming from OR DK1 and DK2 to PSVR.

The difference is night and day, the comfort and the instant experiences (Demos) are wonderful on the psvr.

On the dk2 I used to feel sick 5 mins after playing half life 2, driveclub vr is a fantastic experience. No discomfort at all.
sure it's PS3 cars on a n64 track, but the feeling of presence is wonderful.

Played 25% of batman, the suit up with two moves is so great.
Why why why doesn't the 'new' moves come with a integrated analogue sticks???? What a missed opportunity. Once i got to the first alley I was thinking that VR ports of the trilogy with very reworked combat would be incredible.

Went out on a whim and bought PSVR today from BB.

Played through all of Rez Infinite and holy shit was that amazing. Hoping that the novelty doesn't wear off but I'm really liking it so far.

But as I'm going through the games so far there isn't all that much I want to play that is reasonably priced.

I figure I can return it if I don't end up liking it, I don't see the price going down anytime soon though so I wonder if its worth it.

Is Best Buy not stocking Eagle Flight in store? I went to try and order it for pick up and it's saying that it's shipping only. Would go with Amazon, but they don't seem to be offering Prime discount on it.

Edit: Wait, nvm. Prime discount is showing up now for some reason. Carry on.

Greyvvolf

I had the Oculus Rift DK2 and I'm not sure if it's because I've experienced this before but I wasn't very immersed at first. I think when I had the DK2 the demos I played were mostly about looking around and showing the sense of depth. I do feel a lot better and not as sick as with the DK2, that's for sure. The PSVR headset is also way better for people with glasses. Who else struggled with putting on the headset and then found out later you can adjust the front? Anyways, here's my impressions after loading the demo disc.

Rez Infinite - I was impressed and haven't played this before (I know, I know). The gameplay was solid and translated to VR very well. I just have to wait until the physical game ships now.

Kitchen - Nope: The Game. I was literally laughing and yelling here. I didn't think I'd be this freaked out and it was funny to me. I will definitely use this demo on friends and family first.

Driveclub - I did try this game before but it could not hold my attention. With VR though, the gameplay and VR are perfect together.

I have to say that I absolutely hate when I had to move my head to aim. Graphics are also not as sharp as I thought they were going to be. But having said that, I am still impressed and am glad I purchased one.

It's easily the worst looking demo on the demo disc, IMHO. If they don't clean it up for the game's release, I'll be playing it non-VR.
Driveclub takes that cake in my opinion. I still can't get through a race comfortably.

Kitchen actually doesn't look too atrocious to me. If RE7 looks just a bit better, I'll be playing the entirety of it in VR.

Grinchy

Banned
Driveclub takes that cake in my opinion. I still can't get through a race comfortably.

Kitchen actually doesn't look too atrocious to me. If RE7 looks just a bit better, I'll be playing the entirety of it in VR.

Yeah, Driveclub and Here They Lie have to be the ugliest PSVR games based on the demos. I didn't get any motion sickness from either, but I can't stand looking at them.

ckohler

I borrowed my friend's copy of VR Worlds.

London Heist was fantastic. I'd love a feature length film like that in VR. The IQ was fantastic.

Street Louge was pretty forgettable.

Ocean Descent also had fantastic IQ but I'd seen the shark demo before so it didn't scare me. It just looked cool.

Danger Ball or whatever was much cooler than I expected. Head tracking makes for a really accurate control scheme. Not something I would play a ton of but as a premise, it's interesting.

I ended with Scavenger's Odyssey. I liked the gameplay but...oof... that spinning. I knew going in that it would be intense but since I felt I'd gotten my VR legs recently I wanted to test mysel.

Yeah... that's probably TOO intense. It'd have been pretty awesome without those stomach clenching flips and rolls. They should have just kept the gameplay on a flat plane. Very cool and fun action game that's ruined by making you leap around until you feel woozy.

wapplew

Kids love PSVR!
WoM is crazy around my neighborhood, random kids calling me want to come over and try. Sony need to make more games like Playroom VR.

Futaba

For me playroom VR has been the biggest surprise, of all the games I've tried on it, that one had me hooked, the game collecting coins and robots as you progress forward... To me felt like the kind of innovation and craftsmanship you'd expect from a mainline Mario title, not a freebie PSN title.
I loved it, the wife loved it and everyone that's been over and tried it loves it.

My only gripe is that at the end of the slide at the end of the level when you come to an abrupt stop, I found it quite uncomfortable on the eyes for the moment it takes your eyes ti readjust.

Looking forward to my preordered ps4 pro arriving so I can test games in better iq, but so far, psvr is in my opinion, awesome. I can only begin to imagine how good the ps5/psvr2 will someday be!

I haven't felt anywhere near as nauseated, dizzy or effected by eye strain as I have with my dk1, dk2 or vive, didn't end up getting rift retail so I can't say much on it, but compared to the dk1, that thing positively feels like a black site torture tool now lol

Ozorov

For me playroom VR has been the biggest surprise, of all the games I've tried on it, that one had me hooked, the game collecting coins and robots as you progress forward... To me felt like the kind of innovation and craftsmanship you'd expect from a mainline Mario title, not a freebie PSN title.
I loved it, the wife loved it and everyone that's been over and tried it loves it.

My only gripe is that at the end of the slide at the end of the level when you come to an abrupt stop, I found it quite uncomfortable on the eyes for the moment it takes your eyes ti readjust.

Looking forward to my preordered ps4 pro arriving so I can test games in better iq, but so far, psvr is in my opinion, awesome. I can only begin to imagine how good the ps5/psvr2 will someday be!

I haven't felt anywhere near as nauseated, dizzy or effected by eye strain as I have with my dk1, dk2 or vive, didn't end up getting rift retail so I can't say much on it, but compared to the dk1, that thing positively feels like a black site torture tool now lol
Do playroom require moves?

I haven't seen the thread for it in a while, but I've been wondering, did the issues people were having with head tracking going gradually out of whack get addressed? Fixed in firmware? Discovered to be uncommon / hardware fault? - or what?

Man... Playing the EVE Valkyrie demo and now the COD VR experience makes me even more hyped for something like Ace Combat 7. Cockpit based games sure are my thing.

Does EVE Valkyrie actually have a campaign mode or is it just multiplayer?

Also, launch sequences. All the launch sequences.
mMe5bkU.png

Fliesen

I haven't seen the thread for it in a while, but I've been wondering, did the issues people were having with head tracking going gradually out of whack get addressed? Fixed in firmware? Discovered to be uncommon / hardware fault? - or what?

there haven't been any meaningful firmware upgrades to the PS4 post PSVR, nor has there been any firmware upgrade to the headset.

Some observations that have been made include:
* Not sitting too far from your console
* Not using PSVR after sleep / suspend, but rather from a fresh booth fixes tracking being super out of whack

El-Suave

Man... Playing the EVE Valkyrie demo and now the COD VR experience makes me even more hyped for something like Ace Combat 7. Cockpit based games sure are my thing.

Does EVE Valkyrie actually have a campaign mode or is it just multiplayer?

Eve's sp camapign is pretty much a posterchild token single player campaign in a game with multiplayer focus. I can't recommend getting it at full price for that aspect of the game. Hopefully all these cockpit experiences inspire a dev to make a good sp game. Pretty much every single cockpit I've checked out was super impressive and made me smile. All we need is a full game.

Eve's sp camapign is pretty much a posterchild token single player campaign in a game with multiplayer focus. I can't recommend getting it at full price for that aspect of the game. Hopefully all these cockpit experiences inspire a dev to make a good sp game. Pretty much every single cockpit I've checked out was super impressive and made me smile. All we need is a full game.
If it had had a proper SP campaign I'd have bought it day one. The demo I tried at BB was very impressive.

Smidget

Thought I had VR legs, finally played some Scavenger's Odyssey.... very little legs apparently lol

Felt myself getting warm/little nauseous.

Last time this happened was Eve Valkyrie in store demo. I guess I still need to build them legs up! No problem with the Driveclub VR (or any of the demos), other PSVR Worlds games, or Arkham VR.

FeD.nL

I really hope Sony just pulls its wallet and gives money to EA to fund a Criterion developed Rogue Squadron VR.

El-Suave

Just got my copy of Eagle Flight from Ubi Shop, I don't have time to dive in deeply right now, I hope to do that tonight or tomorrow, but I popped the disc in in took flight.
I have to say the first impression is really fantastic. They nailed the speed of flight to make it very comfortable. You can take in the sights even at full speed. Your beak and forehead are visible the whole time and the left or right edge of your vision goes black when you turn sharply - all this should make it pleasing for people who are affected by motion sickness I'd think. It's not intrusive and gives your body scale. You turn by tilting your head and control your speed with L2 and R2. The feeling of immersion is great and there is good narration and wondeful music.
The graphics are pretty, there's a bit of aliasing and the detail isn't super high, but you have the whole city under you all the time. Overall I'd say it looks and sounds really nice and you get the feel that this is the output of a bigger studio rather than the indie games we've also gotten so far.
There is a single player campaign with a super cute opening cut scene plus a free flight mode and 3 vs. 3 multiplayer. So my quick first look is pretty encouraging.

murgo

I think it's a combo of getting a 4K tv (will have a pro next week) and just not being nearly as interested after that wow factor wears off.

I figure return now and if I ever change my mind it's not going anywhere to pickup again

I feel you. I just packed mine up and it's going back to Amazon. It's amazing tech, but after playing through Batman, Job Simulator and Until Dawn I feel there isn't much else that really interests me.

I also had problems getting text to be sharp. Guess it's a problem with my glasses and slight astigmatism. I really hated spending 5 minutes or more adjusting the headset until I could see reasonably sharp.

Like you I'm getting a Pro next week and planning on getting a 4K TV asap, Having an additional 400€ for that budget helps. And maybe I'll rebuy PSVR when it gets cheaper down the line..

Maligna

Banned
Played Drive Club demo. Was prepared to get sick based on what everyone was saying. Felt nothing.

As a matter of fact I'm really not feeling much from any game I'm playing anymore. They are still fun, but my mind is keenly aware it's not real. Not getting any thrill out of movement any more.

Feels bad, man.

I need VR Gen 2 like now!

Just got my copy of Eagle Flight from Ubi Shop, I don't have time to dive in deeply right now, I hope to do that tonight or tomorrow, but I popped the disc in in took flight.
I have to say the first impression is really fantastic. They nailed the speed of flight to make it very comfortable. You can take in the sights even at full speed. Your beak and forehead are visible the whole time and the left or right edge of your vision goes black when you turn sharply - all this should make it pleasing for people who are affected by motion sickness I'd think. It's not intrusive and gives your body scale. You turn by tilting your head and control your speed with L2 and R2. The feeling of immersion is great and there is good narration and wondeful music.
The graphics are pretty, there's a bit of aliasing and the detail isn't super high, but you have the whole city under you all the time. Overall I'd say it looks and sounds really nice and you get the feel that this is the output of a bigger studio rather than the indie games we've also gotten so far.
There is a single player campaign with a super cute opening cut scene plus a free flight mode and 3 vs. 3 multiplayer. So my quick first look is pretty encouraging.

How well done is the feeling of "flying" in this game? I thought the game looked kinda silly, until I started thinking about how cool it could feel, you know, like you are flying.

Played Drive Club demo. Was prepared to get sick based on what everyone was saying. Felt nothing.

As a matter of fact I'm really not feeling much from any game I'm playing anymore. They are still fun, but my mind is keenly aware it's not real. Not getting any thrill out of movement any more.

Feels bad, man.

I need VR Gen 2 like now!
I think one huge factor to aid in immersion will be field of view. I think vertical is fine, but horizontal needs a lot of help to get rid of the porthole effect. Even though you aren't actively looking to thr sides, your brain uses that information, nonetheless.

Another key aspect is self-awareness. This is your body/hands/etc in game. Games like COD make me feel like my shoulders start at my eyeballs while Until Dawn makes me feel like they start at my elbows. Developers should REALLY add a setting for head height on thr body. I shouldn't look down only to clip through my chest. When you look down you aren't rotating your head - the pivot is well below the eyes and your head moves forward - a few games get that so, so wrong.

If we can get better sense of self and more periphery we should be much better.

Popping in to see if anyone whose gotten their 'VR legs' with other games have tried VEV yet? Comfort question ;)
All fine here. But I can easily be barrel rolling, sharp turning, whipping my head around at super speeds in EVE and feel fine. I get stomach drops occasionally in games like rollercoaster stuff but never sick.

I have no issues with VEV.

Smidget

All fine here. But I can easily be barrel rolling, sharp turning, whipping my head around at super speeds in EVE and feel fine. I get stomach drops occasionally in games like rollercoaster stuff but never sick.

I have no issues with VEV.

I think you're confused: VEV != EVE

VEV is m0dus'S VR game.

I haven't picked up VEV quit yet. Going to ask for PSN money for Christmas to pick up those smaller digital titles :)

*Splinter

I think one huge factor to aid in immersion will be field of view. I think vertical is fine, but horizontal needs a lot of help to get rid of the porthole effect. Even though you aren't actively looking to thr sides, your brain uses that information, nonetheless.

Another key aspect is self-awareness. This is your body/hands/etc in game. Games like COD make me feel like my shoulders start at my eyeballs while Until Dawn makes me feel like they start at my elbows. Developers should REALLY add a setting for head height on thr body. I shouldn't look down only to clip through my chest. When you look down you aren't rotating your head - the pivot is well below the eyes and your head moves forward - a few games get that so, so wrong.

If we can get better sense of self and more periphery we should be much better.
You can already kind of do this yourself. For example, let's say the camera is slightly too low, so looking down clips into your chest.
- Hunch down in your chair a bit so that your head is lower than usual
- Hold options to resync
- Sit up straight and your position will be a bit higher than it was before.

Only downside is you'd have to do this every time you resync (if the game has tracking issues, for example).

I think you're confused: VEV != EVE

VEV is m0dus'S VR game.

I haven't picked up VEV quit yet. Going to ask for PSN money for Christmas to pick up those smaller digital titles :)
No.

I used EVE as an example of how I can go nuts in VR and have no motion sickness since he inquired about motion sickness. I made sure to mention both games and even used a "but" in my post to differentiate between the two games.

You can already kind of do this yourself. For example, let's say the camera is slightly too low, so looking down clips into your chest.
- Hunch down in your chair a bit so that your head is lower than usual
- Hold options to resync
- Sit up straight and your position will be a bit higher than it was before.

Only downside is you'd have to do this every time you resync (if the game has tracking issues, for example).
Sure.

But that's wrong.

That also means I have to do that when recentering every time.

Smidget

No.

I used EVE as an example of how I can go nuts in VR and have no motion sickness since he inquired about motion sickness. I made sure to mention both games and even used a "but" in my post to differentiate between the two games.

Sorry, just knew people were having that issue up thread quite a bit.

El-Suave

How well done is the feeling of "flying" in this game? I thought the game looked kinda silly, until I started thinking about how cool it could feel, you know, like you are flying.

I thought it felt really good. There are graphical clues that help you feel the wind in addition to the sound. Some of them feel a little out of place but in general they serve their purpose. It's exhilarating when you fly through a narrow space for the first time. I haven't done any crazy stuff like suicide dives yet but you can see that the environment is constructed for it. On my first flight with my eagle family I already found a few spots I'd like to explore and I'm sure the game will lead me to them. There also seem to be many collecibles but I just saw the counter in the menu and haven't found any yet so it's not like the map is cluttered with them.

I thought it felt really good. There are graphical clues that help you feel the wind in addition to the sound. Some of them feel a little out of place but in general they serve their purpose. It's exhilarating when you fly through a narrow space for the first time. I haven't done any crazy stuff like suicide dives yet but you can see that the environment is constructed for it. On my first flight with my eagle family I already found a few spots I'd like to explore and I'm sure the game will lead me to them. There also seem to be many collecibles but I just saw the counter in the menu and haven't found any yet so it's not like the map is cluttered with them.

Thanks for the impressions I decided yesterday I was swriching my pre order from Robinson to Eagle Flight and your impressions make me feel good about it.

azz0r

Banned
UK here.

Having real difficulty finding Playstation Move controllers.

Argos are out, Amazon are out, there are none in store, CEX are selling at an extortionate price.

Any ideas why? Where is everyone buying them from?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom