• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozorov

Been using since I got my unit and have no issues, given the companies reputation in the lens industry I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt lol
Ordered two lens pens from another company. Couldn't find the Niko ones here :/.

Eitherway, what's included in the PSVR Worlds?

Quocia

Neo Member
No idea man. I don't think Sweden has got ONE shipment of Move controllers since PSVR-launched. And the store I've ordered the bundle from says 29 days, could be a guess.

Heck, I don't even think they had the Twin Pack in store for launch here.

Same in France. They can't even tell me when they will get new ones

Ordered two lens pens from another company. Couldn't find the Niko ones here :/.

Danger Ball
London Heist
Ocean Descent
Scavengers Odyssey
Street Luge

Of those SO was the only one that really made me feel sick, it's been the only thing so far of all that I have played.

*Splinter

Heist (on rails shooter)
Danger ball (3d pong)
Scavengers Odyssey (jumping tank)
Luge (skateboarding for dummies)
Ocean Descent (basically a screensaver)

Heist would benefit from Move controllers but they aren't a requirement

Nosgoroth

GAME in Spain won't let you try PSVR before buying it, and they won't let you return it if you don't like it, which makes deciding to buy one pretty much inpossible for me, but thankfully I just found aout that Mediamarkt offers trials on weekends.

I already have one Move controller, which I bought for really cheap (8€, was it?) second hand at the start of the year. I then only need the camera, right? Or is a second Move crucial?

*Splinter

GAME in Spain won't let you try PSVR before buying it, and they won't let you return it if you don't like it, which makes deciding to buy one pretty much inpossible for me, but thankfully I just found aout that Mediamarkt offers trials on weekends.

I already have one Move controller, which I bought for really cheap (8€, was it?) second hand at the start of the year. I then only need the camera, right? Or is a second Move crucial?
Pretty sure it's either 2 Move or a dualshock.

Edit: ignore me I might be wrong here. I haven't seen any games that use a single move but I guess it's not impossible.

Interesting question. The majority of Move-compatible titles need two. Tumble VR can be played with one; I'm not sure which other titles, if any, can be played with just one.

Nosgoroth

Edit: ignore me I might be wrong here. I haven't seen any games that use a single move but I guess it's not impossible.

Interesting question. The majority of Move-compatible titles need two. Tumble VR can be played with one; I'm not sure which other titles, if any, can be played with just one.

Ergh. Then I guess I must join the wait for the reclusive Albanian space wizard that produces these things.

emb

I'm no expert on the breadth of games available for this thing, but I just played all the way through Batman last night with 1 Move. Not sure if a second is compatible.

I'm no expert on the breadth of games available for this thing, but I just played all the way through Batman last night with 1 Move. Not sure if a second is compatible.

Yes it is, I played through with two, I also hit the light above my head whilst throwing batarangs!

*Splinter

Yep, definitely ignore me

I was thinking of VR Worlds which asks you if you're using dualshock or 2 move controllers, but after I posted I realised that was just an in game thing and could easily vary from game to game.

lazybum

Neo Member
Does anyone here own both a Vive and PS VR? I'm wondering which has had the overall better experiences in your opinion?
this one is a no contest. The Vive controllers are probably the best motion controllers made yet, tracking is excellent (likely has as much do to with the much better sensors as the controller), button placement is good, and it has a built in trackpad/quasi-dpad solution for movement.

The Move is just ok. I feel like using the move and the PS camera are the biggest things holding PSVR back. The headset is more comfortable, the screen is close enough for me, and I prefer the ease of the Playstation ecosystem. I know they're doing it to keep costs down, but I do hope they release better sensors and controllers in the future before a PSVR 2 or there may never be a PSVR 2.

When you add in room scale, it's a completely different level of experience, but a lot of folks can't accommodate that.

I also feel like at this point there are more general VR "experiences" available on the Vive that my non-gaming friends and family enjoy doing compared to PSVR, but hopefully that's just a matter of time until those experiences show up in the Playstation store.

PSVR playtime.

My living room is too small for Job simulator. Tried the demo again and I just can't play it. Can't even make a cup of coffee as I can't reach the cup. The demo doesn't let you reposition where you stand :/

Wayward Sky seemed cool. Played the demo. Not bad. Might get it when cheap.

Harmonix VR yeah. I want it for the easel level. Its fun. The rest of the bits are okay I guess

I can't pass any of the stages in Tumble Level 4. Ridiculous. I think I'm good at puzzles but nope!

Within. Grainy shiity VR videos. What a disappointment

PSVR playtime.

My living room is too small for Job simulator. Tried the demo again and I just can't play it. Can't even make a cup of coffee as I can't reach the cup. The demo doesn't let you reposition where you stand :/

Wayward Sky seemed cool. Played the demo. Not bad. Might get it when cheap.

Harmonix VR yeah. I want it for the easel level. Its fun. The rest of the bits are okay I guess

I can't pass any of the stages in Tumble Level 4. Ridiculous. I think I'm good at puzzles but nope!

Within. Grainy shiity VR videos. What a disappointment

Surely moving the camera does though?

Playstation 4 Pro Enhanced Launch Day Games for PSVR Announced

UPDATED AGAIN WITH MORE TITLES AND DETAILS

Bound
Battlezone
DRIVECLUB VR
Hustle Kings (Original version patched not VR)
PSVR Worlds
Rez Infinite
RIGS Mechanized Combat League
Rise Of The Tomb Raider (PSVR mission likely to be improved with the Pro patch)
Robinson: The Journey (On disc)
Super Stardust Ultra (Original version patched not VR)
The Assembly (Compatible since launch)
THE PLAYROOM VR
Thumper (Added to list at link below after publication)
Tumble
Until Dawn: Rush of Blood

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2016...adbpr=36969785

These are all confirmed for launch day for the PS4Pro.

UPDATES
-The Assembly being compatible since it launched based on a developer account here confirming it
-Thumper was added to the official list from the link at a later date
-The PSVR mission in Tomb Raider will likely use the enhanced features as well but it is not 100% confirmed yet
-Hustle Kings and Super Stardust Ultra are the regular versions with a Pro patch, hopefully the PSVR patches come at a later date
-Robinson Pro support was confirmed via their official Twitter

Lan_97

Some slight leeway in adjustment would have been appreciated here. I moved my camera closer to improve tracking, which puts me just about into the desk. I'd rather have more configurability on my end knowing their recommended settings and the limitations that come with stepping outside those settings. Since the distance is forced, the game is off my radar for the time being.

On that note, Batman also forced a fixed distance, but the areas were a bit more open so being closer wasn't an issue.

Chris_C

Owlchemy labs has posted a PSVR Tracking Guide for Job Simulator:

http://jobsimulatorgame.com/psvrfaq/

Helpful. Good of them to post this. I'll try it out tomorrow.

On an related but less helpful note, I booted up the PS VR for the first time today after about a week of not having much time to play, and found out I have almost zero world wobble. There have been no firmware updates, and my lighting situation hasn't changed, so I don't know what the deal is. However, this supports the issue that it isn't a hardware defect, and it's unlikely there's a "bad batch" of Camera's or headsets out there.

Hopefully it holds up.

So I plugged my PSVR into my PC for the first time last night to test it out with Dolphin and man it was really cool (although very janky)!

The first game I loaded up was Billy Hatcher which was really neat being able to see Billy right in front of you.

Then I loaded up Smash Bros Melee and it was amazing to watch these characters fighting literally right in front of me.

Finally, I loaded up Sonic Adventure DX and while the camera motion was not conducive to a comfortable VR experience, it was still cool. I also started messing around with resolution settings and when set at native gamecube resolution, things were (obviously) very blurry. However, when I set the resolution to render at 4K, the picture was very clear.

This gives me hope that the PS4 Pro will do a lot for PSVR.

Also as an aside, it's crazy to me that technology allows us to turn games released more than 10 years ago into VR games. Just amazing.

Owlchemy labs has posted a PSVR Tracking Guide for Job Simulator:

http://jobsimulatorgame.com/psvrfaq/

I see this game brought up a lot for tracking issues. Many have had issues with the demo, and aren't interested in the Full Game because of it. The game works perfectly for me.

I have said in the past, I haven't really had any tracking or drift issues (only drift issues have occurred in Cinema Mode) with my setup. I think it could be because of my room setup, the lighting, but my PSVR tracking and drifting experiences have worked as I would assume the are supposed to.

My kids wanted me to buy this game so bad, so I did. They are like little pros with it. They beat each level without issues and everything worked as you think it should. I guess my point is. the game is definitely not an accurate and consistence experience for everyone, but it does work as it should for some.

If you are interested in the game, I would look at your room setup and mess with the demo and see if you can dial in the tracking. I am currently playing in a living room, with a chair in the middle of the floor, seated 6 feet 4 inches away from my TV. My camera is on top of my TV, about 4 feet off the floor, and I titled the camera ever so slightly down. It still works fine when I stand up, or if I sit down (I am 6 feet tall). Any tracking or drifting issues while gaming in VR are basically not noticeable.

antibolo

Banned
Helpful. Good of them to post this. I'll try it out tomorrow.

On an related but less helpful note, I booted up the PS VR for the first time today after about a week of not having much time to play, and found out I have almost zero world wobble. There have been no firmware updates, and my lighting situation hasn't changed, so I don't know what the deal is. However, this supports the issue that it isn't a hardware defect, and it's unlikely there's a "bad batch" of Camera's or headsets out there.

Hopefully it holds up.

Has your PS4 been power cycled since then?

Slight Robinson Review.

-The image for Robinson is kinda....eh for the environments? Animals all look great.
-Puzzle game, only speed is walking.
-Super heavy into scanning animals (grab all the green dots scanning "inside" the animal and avoid the red ones). Scan mutiple of the same animal to get a full Index for each one.
- Putting a hat on your pet (early game pet spoiler)
Baby Trex
makes it easier and makes it cuter. Dont forget to scan him too!
- (early game Predator Spoiler) Fucking
Raptors
are terrifying in VR. I took the headset off first time meeting them. Then I put it back on to scan them haha.
- Climbing is a little meh but it gets the job done.
- (early game mechanic spoiler) The electricity
minigame you do with the robot is kinda meh, but the top down rts view where you can see your character is badass.

At $40 I'm not disappointed yet.
Anybody know how to do the tricks with your pet?

Tried the COD Jackal VR experience. The ship interior looks nicer than the ships in Eve, it has better AA, and it was fun to play. The explosions however are flat and look weaksauce compared to Eve and the controls aren't as good as Eve's. Overall, a cool immersive experience, I wish it was longer but I can't complain since it's free.

I'm looking forward to devs having more cool VR additions like this to their game. It really draws you into the world they have created and I can tell it's going to make me enjoy the main campaign more now that I feel like I've lived in their world for a short time. :D Next stop, SWBF Rogue One experience *pew* *pew*.

Lan_97

Jackal VR Mission:
- Short but fun and free
- I like that recentering also centers the angle. So even if drift does occur, you can fix it.
- You are literally flying in just a cockpit, which makes sense in the context of the game, but it's amusing to step out of the cockpit only to see that the rest of the ship doesn't exist.

emb

Helpful for those with tracking issues in the game, but disappointed that they are telling you to stand much further back then what Sony says. Too confusing for average gamers if Sony says you are good at 5 feet, then games say you HAVE to be 7 feet.
Sounds like they've done it so you have more room to move/look around in game.

Though I also think that's more annoying than good. Props to them for trying to realize their vision, but if I'm going to be stuck in one spot anyway I'd rather have the smaller range for easier setup.

My small gripe aside, I'd definitely buy Job Simulator in a second if they released a physical copy. The demo was cool, but I'd love to play more.

SJRB

Gold Member
Just finished Windlands, clocked in at 5:29 playtime on normal. Didn't find all the hidden tablets, so there's more to do still.

Awesome game. Extremely simple concept, visuals are bright but not fancy in the slightest. And yet, the feeling of momentum is incredible. Really, really fun game and easily the best VR game I've played so far.

Picked up Tumble VR full version. It's funny how great this game is even if half the time you're just stacking blocks or whatever. Some of the situations are really fun! For instance, fit all these given blocks on the platform but there's a "limbo stick" a short way up that moves back and forth and will knock your piece off if you try building that high. Fitting all the blocks onto this tiny space is a fun challenge.

Picked up Tumble VR full version. It's funny how great this game is even if half the time you're just stacking blocks or whatever. Some of the situations are really fun! For instance, fit all these given blocks on the platform but there's a "limbo stick" a short way up that moves back and forth and will knock your piece off if you try building that high. Fitting all the blocks onto this tiny space is a fun challenge.

yeah Tumble VR is great. Sitting there staring at a puzzle going WTF for ages is a curious experience.

Melchiah

Tried PSVR for the first time at the local GameXpo today. Driveclub certainly was more immersive experience on VR, but with a loss of visual clarity and comfortability. I had to set the headset downwards to my nose, so it was higher on the back of my head, to prevent blurring of the image.

I dunno, if the gameplay settings were different on VR, or if it was due to using a wheel instead of pad, but I had hard time keeping the BAC Mono in control, which is in stark contrast to how it handles in the regular version. I also wish they had used something else than a race track for the demo units, as they're the most boring type of courses in the game.

Unfortunately, booking the play session online didn't work very well, and waiting ages in line wasn't appealing, so I didn't have the chance to try the horror games on VR.

So, it was not the best kind of first experience for me. It was also disappointing, that there was no PS4 Pro on display.

Here's a picture I took from the event:
GtKLuro.jpg

Samus4145

Sounds like they've done it so you have more room to move/look around in game.

Though I also think that's more annoying than good. Props to them for trying to realize their vision, but if I'm going to be stuck in one spot anyway I'd rather have the smaller range for easier setup.

My small gripe aside, I'd definitely buy Job Simulator in a second if they released a physical copy. The demo was cool, but I'd love to play more.

Not arguing that it doesn't for a better experience in-game, but some people might see the space requirements set from Sony and assume that all games will work within those constraints. Personally, I have 6 feet of space in my office, which worked when reviewing all VR games, except for Batman and Job Simulator. Granted, I had the luxury of also testing in my living room where I have more space, but if a game requires more space than what Sony is telling customers, it really should be listed on the product page.

With that said, it's only been a few weeks since launch, and glad they put the faq out, but still not happy that they require so much more space between the player and camera.

Gemeanie

Tried a few demo today

Superhypercube was amazing and made me want the full game until I was reminded it's $30

Resident Evil X L'Arc En Ciel was nothing more than a waste of time. It's baffling they couldn't even get all 4 members' model ready too.

Jackal Assault looked better than Eve Valkyrie demo and the head aiming was pretty fun but the demo was almost as short as Eve demo if you exclude the tutorial which takes 3 minutes at most.

Miku VR was better than I thought. Not a fan of Vocaloid but watching Miku from different view was pretty cool

bumpkin

I gave that Eye Distance adjustment a whirl that I found a video about on YouTube. It's hard to say if it made a drastic difference in picture sharpness. The adjustment process only yielded a 3mm difference from the default. I guess we'll see when I go in and start playing some games; I just went through the adjustment process and looked around the Dashboard/menus with it on. I guess things looked a hair sharper?

The invaluable tip I did take from the video was letting the headset warm up before putting it on to avoid the fogging issue. The guy in the video said a half hour, but I only did 15 minutes and it was fine.

I gave that Eye Distance adjustment a whirl that I found a video about on YouTube. It's hard to say if it made a drastic difference in picture sharpness. The adjustment process only yielded a 3mm difference from the default. I guess we'll see when I go in and start playing some games; I just went through the adjustment process and looked around the Dashboard/menus with it on. I guess things looked a hair sharper?

The invaluable tip I did take from the video was letting the headset warm up before putting it on to avoid the fogging issue. The guy in the video said a half hour, but I only did 15 minutes and it was fine.
What do you mean "warm up"? You mean turn it on? It technically can't "warm up" unless an application is running, otherwise the sensor will see you are not in the goggles and shut the screen off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom