• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tumble VR is hands down the best value on PSVR right now. It's got lots of content and is an actual game. Every time you think you're on the last zone, a new one opens up with new game mechanics. There's also a ton of challenges for the previous levels.

Yeah, this is a really fun game. Seems to have a lot of value, as you said. Its simplicity is also its strength in a way. It already feels good to grab stuff and fiddle with it. And takes very little in the way of explanation.

Theonik

UK here.

Having real difficulty finding Playstation Move controllers.

Argos are out, Amazon are out, there are none in store, CEX are selling at an extortionate price.

Any ideas why? Where is everyone buying them from?!
People are buying them up due to how popular PSVR has proven to be. I was looking to buy some since I CBF to retrieve my PS3 pair but I guess I'll just wait it out.

somme

+
=
blown_away_maxell_guy-33955.gif

When my nephew/partner and mates were all round we got them playing The Heist and during the van level, when the window gets punched out I turned on a fan and pointed at whoever was playing.

My partner was like, "I CAN FEEL THE WIND!!!"

Amazing moment. Luckily I have a very vivid imagination/brain and I kinda felt it anyway, even when playing alone and having no fan on. There may have been a draught I just suddenly started paying attention to.

Same thing happened in The Assembly when I went through a decontamination chamber and was smoked. I could ever-so-slightly smell and feel it. Bizarre but cool.

simtmb

Kitchen demo does indeed look pretty bad, definitely will be playing that in non-VR mode if the final version isn't improved.

somme

UK here.

Argos are out, Amazon are out, there are none in store, CEX are selling at an extortionate price.

I bought mine from shopto but did it on launch day so probably got one of the last sets.

qcf x2

Omg Jackal Assault legit made me feel like I was going to throw up.

My stomach only felt funny when I did a barrel roll, which is exactly what should happen. I thought the demo was very well done, it was more fun (and loaded quicker) than Eve, and it made me realize how awesome an RPG + space opera combination would be. I'm thinking Legend of Galactic Heroes or --as I've said a bunch of times-- Phantasy Star (jrpg, non-MMO) VR. Even a Skies of Arcadia VR sequel/remake would be amazing. I think RPGs are the mid term future for VR because there's less emphasis on full-control movement at all times; instead, narrative, conversations and world building take precedence.

Finally 100% on Wayward Sky. What an awesome experience! If you thought the feeling to be in the game like Robot Rescue is awesome, you should really,really play this. Full game is way better than the demo.

When my nephew/partner and mates were all round we got them playing The Heist and during the van level, when the window gets punched out I turned on a fan and pointed at whoever was playing.

My partner was like, "I CAN FEEL THE WIND!!!"

Amazing moment. Luckily I have a very vivid imagination/brain and I kinda felt it anyway, even when playing alone and having no fan on. There may have been a draught I just suddenly started paying attention to.

Same thing happened in The Assembly when I went through a decontamination chamber and was smoked. I could ever-so-slightly smell and feel it. Bizarre but cool.

Lol, you just made my day!

When I played around with the cigar in the Heist and moved my head through the smoke I could really smell it for a fraction of a second! Freaky stuff, can't imagine what lies in the future for VR!

Of all things, Sports Bar gave me my first VR nausea. I just jumped into the game, learning how to navigate on the fly. Wasn't intuitive at all trying to position myself where I wanted and facing where I wanted. Used hulk mode to basically shimmy myself into positions after teleporting as close as I could to where I wanted to be and it made me queasy and I broke into a cold sweat. Not gonna knock it yet because I'm sure I was doing it incorrectly, but ignoring the navigation issues, the few games I played, i.e., pool, air hockey, and darts were just not fun. Maybe it'll get better if I get more used to the controls, but I'm already feeling buyer's remorse on this particular title.

On a separate note, has anyone else had issues doing the headset calibration where you hold the headset in front of the camera in different positions? I always get stuck at the third screen where you hold the headset sideways. I line-up the headset so all 3 LEDs are within the outlines and they turn from red to white, but the calibration progress bar never pops up. So I never completed that particular calibration setup. I did do the IPD manual adjustment and it made a big difference getting both lenses in focus for me.

Futaba

UK here.

I had the exact same problem in Japan a few weeks ago, but worse here because there have been 0 restocks for the headset since launch, used prices for single move controllers pushed past $100/£75 earlier this week.

Your best bet at this point is charity shops and independent game stores out in the sticks.

ViolentP

Popping in to see if anyone whose gotten their 'VR legs' with other games have tried VEV yet? Also, for anyone that had any issues before, have they improved with the new 1.02 update?

Comfort question ;)

Let you know once I pick it up after I recover from all the initial purchases.

Ogni-XR21

Got Windlands today and wow that is intense. It turns out my VR legs are in full function, could turn off every comfort setting, strafe and fluid turning are no problem at all. To think I could hardly play the Battlezone demo on the first day... anyway, the image quality is great, controls are perfectly fine with the controller, still interested how move support will turn out. For me this game has absolutely no world wobble, steady as a rock.

I have a moderate fear of height so from time to time when I reached a very high point I was wondering how I will ever make it down again. Standing on a ledge is really intense for me, and taking a leap of faith really took real effort the first few times. And while I soon learned that it's not real and 'just a game' my palms were quite sweaty while playing. When I came back to the real world after 2 hours I realized that I had been sweating quite a bit and ended up changing my t-shirt due to massive armpit stains.

*Splinter

Finally had a full online game of Rigs, and it was incredible. I had to save it: https://youtu.be/6B8DP6aEMn4

I think the matchmaking is a problem as much as the low player count. I kind find games with 2-3 people fairly quickly and it's different people every time, so there's definitely people out there playing this. But you can only join at the start of a match which is making it seem worse than it is. Really hope they just patch it to allow joining games in progress.

Olcinius

Neo Member
So many good looking games. I think I am most looking forward to EVE: Valkyrie. Really awesome to see such good support for PS VR.

nampad

So how do I figure out on what games in PSVR Worlds I can use the Moves or not?
I tried to use them in Ocean Descent but apparently you can't use any controllers at all.

georgc

I love sports bar vr but I feel like the move tracking is lacking and all the games besides pool aren't accurate enough to be enjoyable. Take shuffle board I move the controller the exact same speed and direction and get 10 vastly different outcomes. One time the puck hardly moved. The next it was launched across the room. Can this be fixed or is this just a problem that the move will have?

shmoglish

With a new tv, xbox, visit from my sister and work I did not have much time to try Vr. Yesterday I played and finished Batman Vr. Yeah well, can someone manage to top the first 5 minutes of the game? Should be impossible.

So how do I figure out on what games in PSVR Worlds I can use the Moves or not?
I tried to use them in Ocean Descent but apparently you can't use any controllers at all.
I think it is only The Heist... which let me tell you is not as good at tracking Batman is. It flails the camera and my hands all the time.

somme

I think it is only The Heist... which let me tell you is not as good at tracking Batman is. It flails the camera and my hands all the time.

Tracking on the heist worked really well for me. Not quite as good as PixelGear but that's had the best motion controls I've ever experienced.

The only two purchases I regret, our Loading Human: Chapter 1 and Sports Bar. Unloading human, you're fighting with the controls as much as you're figuring out what to do. It's really kind of a nightmare. It's amazing, because it feels like it's developer is developing in isolation. At first I thought controls scheme was interesting. It very quickly became frustrating. It's a shame because Here They Lie it's pretty much the same type of game with a far better controls.

Sports bar on the other hand is the one I really want to get into, but the accuracy and tracking isn't there. It is the only game I have consistent tracking issues. The appeal of the game, the social experience, is moot. No one is ever in the game. Therefore, I'm not having fun with it. It's a shame, I really wanted to like this game.

Finally got round to finishing until dawn. Had a great time and the sense of scale on the last level was amazing. Definitely going to go back to that.

Done 11 of the 13 levels in tethered, still really enjoying it but the idea of getting A grades on all the levels seems impossible since I haven't even done that on one but I see the platinum trophy has been got by some people so it must possible lol.

Also decided to use the last of my mobile tethering data (just moved, going to have been a month without broadband once it's installed) buying thumper and don't stop talking. Looking forward to trying out DST as that looks a lot of fun and after trying the thumper demo I can't wait to give the full game a go with my headset on.

So many good looking games. I think I am most looking forward to EVE: Valkyrie. Really awesome to see such good support for PS VR.
Not worth 60.

I paid 20 when it was mispriced on Amazon and even that is a stretch for me - and I love space combat games. SP is anemic and MP is just OK, imo.

Of all things, Sports Bar gave me my first VR nausea. I just jumped into the game, learning how to navigate on the fly. Wasn't intuitive at all trying to position myself where I wanted and facing where I wanted. Used hulk mode to basically shimmy myself into positions after teleporting as close as I could to where I wanted to be and it made me queasy and I broke into a cold sweat. Not gonna knock it yet because I'm sure I was doing it incorrectly, but ignoring the navigation issues, the few games I played, i.e., pool, air hockey, and darts were just not fun. Maybe it'll get better if I get more used to the controls, but I'm already feeling buyer's remorse on this particular title.

On a separate note, has anyone else had issues doing the headset calibration where you hold the headset in front of the camera in different positions? I always get stuck at the third screen where you hold the headset sideways. I line-up the headset so all 3 LEDs are within the outlines and they turn from red to white, but the calibration progress bar never pops up. So I never completed that particular calibration setup. I did do the IPD manual adjustment and it made a big difference getting both lenses in focus for me.

I felt the same way about Sports Bar and got a refund. I've seen many others enjoy it around here however, just certainly not what I would have liked in the title personally. The only other game on the horizon that seems to have a cool social element that I'm looking forward to is Wolf Within, hopefully that is fun :)

Tracking on the heist worked really well for me. Not quite as good as PixelGear but that's had the best motion controls I've ever experienced.
I switched from The Heist which I found to be a buggy mess to Batman VR and had none of the issues before.

Mathieran

Banned
VR Worlds worth it at $24?

I think so. The London heist is great and there's a shooting range as well which I've come back and played a lot. Danger ball is also really fun and replayable to me. The luge is kind of mediocre. The ocean descent is cool, but not much replayability, but it's a great first VR experience if you wanna give friends or family a try.

nampad

Do I have to switch the camera angle every time when I switch between sitting and standing games so my face is in the middle of the camera or will it be able to track when my face is only in the lower frame?

Thanks for replies re. headset tracking issues. I'm super, super on the fence at the moment - invest £1000 right now in PSVR, or slowly assemble a Vive rig which will cost at least twice as much and thus not be fully bought until this time next year.

I have a healthy Steam library and lots of games now and in future I'm looking forward to playing on PC. Equally there are tons of PS games I've missed out on or am looking forward to.

Paralysed!

Anastasis

I think so. The London heist is great and there's a shooting range as well which I've come back and played a lot. Danger ball is also really fun and replayable to me. The luge is kind of mediocre. The ocean descent is cool, but not much replayability, but it's a great first VR experience if you wanna give friends or family a try.

Thanks!

Grinchy

Banned
I really hope some smart people get this headset working well on PC. I want to play regular PC games like Fallout 4 and GTA5 in VR pretty bad. Not to mention finally trying Minecraft in VR.

somme

I switched from The Heist which I found to be a buggy mess to Batman VR and had none of the issues before.

Maybe you were just unlucky. Or maybe I've been very lucky. I haven't even had that many problems with Job Simulator, though I did have some.

Playstation 4 Pro Enhanced Launch Day Games for PSVR Announced

UPDATED AGAIN WITH MORE TITLES AND DETAILS

Bound
Battlezone
DRIVECLUB VR
Eagle Flight (On disc)
Hustle Kings (Original version patched not VR)
PSVR Worlds
Rez Infinite
RIGS Mechanized Combat League
Rise Of The Tomb Raider (PSVR mission likely to be improved with the Pro patch)
Robinson: The Journey (On disc)
Super Stardust Ultra (Original version patched not VR)
The Assembly (Compatible since launch)
THE PLAYROOM VR
Thumper (Added to list at link below after publication)
Tumble
Until Dawn: Rush of Blood

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...-will-be-optimised-for-ps4-pro-on-launch-day/

These are all confirmed for launch day for the PS4Pro.

UPDATES
-The Assembly being compatible since it launched based on a developer account here confirming it
-Thumper was added to the official list from the link at a later date
-The PSVR mission in Tomb Raider will likely use the enhanced features as well but it is not 100% confirmed yet
-Hustle Kings and Super Stardust Ultra are the regular versions with a Pro patch, hopefully the PSVR patches come at a later date
-Robinson Pro support was confirmed via their official Twitter
-Eagle Flight added, support is on disc and confirmed via the box art

Mung

Played a lot of EVE valkyrie today. Dogfighting is really fun, and the carrier mode is brilliant. At one point I just thought of the old x wing games and realised I couldn't have imagined something like this back then. So good.

nampad

Got my headset today and played the first Ocean Descent mission, CoD Jackal and Batman so far and watched the first Invasion movie.

Have to say Batman was the best and worst experience so far. It was done well and looked great, you really felt like you were Batman. Unfortunately, the end made me quite a bit nauseas (well, I still am as I am typing this). Guess my brain did not like the visual disconnect.
Setting up the camera was also quite annoying and took me a while because the game and the PS seem to prefer different angles.

The funniest thing that happened today was when I tried to move to much in Invasion and ran into a wall with my foot. Can't believe that you get captured by that virtual reality so quick.

The Ocean Descent mission was nice but I knew what was going to show up. Not having any body parts kind of destroyed the immersion.
The Jackal CoD mission was cool, big thanks to Activision for it. At first I was a bit bored but when the action hit and I looked around to seek for enemies it got really immersive.

Data Ghost

I only got my psvr yesterday and only own one game (thumper which is amazing), after working my way through all the demos nothing has been as amazing as Battlezone, the scene of scale, artstyle and simplicity of the controls really make it a joy to play.

Now I can't decide whether or not to get that or Rez.

I'm open to other suggestions as well.

Battlezone is good, it's expensive, but I don't regret my purchase.

One word of warning: it's hard. Single-player can feel particularly unforgiving because there's no easy way to heal once you take damage. 4 player co-op is the way to go, but even that takes a lot of communication and teamwork. Rushing a level and not sticking together can end a campaign quickly.

If you can find a team that's working well together it's awesome. The flipside of the difficulty is the sense of triumph you get when your team complete a tough level.

The devs of Pixel Gear need to open up a consultancy firm and teach everyone how to track Moves.

I think I finally figured out their secret, they only use the gyros to track the guns aiming position and use the light orbs for positional tracking.

I let my gf play it yesterday and she holds the Move controllers with both hands (looks weird) but I noticed while she played she completely covered the pink orb and the tracking was still flawless. Which makes me think, most developers use 80% of the tracking of the move controllers with only the light orbs instead of focusing on the gyros tracking. That's why most move games have poor tracking ,because they are focusing to much on light base tracking.

Edit: Tested it out and completely covered the move controller while playing Pixel Gear, the aiming was still completely intact while the only thing it wasn't aware of was the positional area where the gun was supposed to be if you moved it more than a feet where it was. Interesting research to be done.

tookhster

Hey guys, just got PSVR and tried Ocean Descent.

A few questions:

I'm wearing contacts right now (I'm near-sighted, can't see shit far away without contacts/glasses). Should I take them off, since the PSVR headset is glued to my face? A lot of OD felt a little blurry.

Also, I tried adjusting my headset but there is always a little space underneath my nose where I could see my carpet. This kinda ruined the whole 360 experience for me. I have a huge nose so I'm wondering if it's just me. Has anyone run into that?

Anastasis

Just a heads up for those in the US. Target has an ongoing buy 2 get 1 free going that ends today. It seems like today finally you can order Robinson: The Journey as part of the deal. If you find a couple of other $40 titles you can get the price pretty low.

With a one time use 10% off coupon you can get through their Wishlist app you can get each $40 game down to $24 before tax. Hope this helps someone!

Also, I tried adjusting my headset but there is always a little space underneath my nose where I could see my carpet. This kinda ruined the whole 360 experience for me. I have a huge nose so I'm wondering if it's just me. Has anyone run into that?

I find if I push the back of the headband up towards the top of my head a bit, it closes the gap beneath my nose...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom