• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

nampad

Hey guys, just got PSVR and tried Ocean Descent.

A few questions:

I'm wearing contacts right now (I'm near-sighted, can't see shit far away without contacts/glasses). Should I take them off, since the PSVR headset is glued to my face? A lot of OD felt a little blurry.

Also, I tried adjusting my headset but there is always a little space underneath my nose where I could see my carpet. This kinda ruined the whole 360 experience for me. I have a huge nose so I'm wondering if it's just me. Has anyone run into that?

I am wearing contacts too and use them with the PSVR. Haven't tried it without them.
Had a Google Cardboard-like and that was unusable for me without contacts so I think it is the same for the PSVR.

Also, I tried adjusting my headset but there is always a little space underneath my nose where I could see my carpet. This kinda ruined the whole 360 experience for me. I have a huge nose so I'm wondering if it's just me. Has anyone run into that?

Yeah got similar problem with my big nose, but the gap is far smaller when I push the back of the helmet upwards...but thanks to my Van Dammesque bump on my forehead, I can't play for more than an hour because it gets too uncomfortable ;(

+
=
blown_away_maxell_guy-33955.gif

Yep. Once I get in a rhythm on Thumper with the fan blowing... it's like I'm in another world.

I've never felt anything like it.

tookhster

Alright, keeping my contacts on then.

I find if I push the back of the headband up towards the top of my head a bit, it closes the gap beneath my nose...

Yeah got similar problem with my big nose, but the gap is far smaller when I push the back of the helmet upwards...but thanks to my Van Dammesque bump on my forehead, I can't play for more than an hour because it gets too uncomfortable ;(

Damn, I tried pushing it upwards but the vision gets more blurry if I do so. I'll try playing around with it and hopefully I can find something that works.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Just had my first VR experience at a friend's. Didn't expect it but I think I may be sold. Played Batman first which was nice, but it wasn't until I tried the Thumper demo that I was convinced. I played with good headphones and I was in there man. The music, the feeling when you make a turn... If that was the first level I can't imagine what the rest is like.

After that we tried Until Dawn, which was also pretty cool, I almost jumped out of the chair with one of the scares. I got a stone cold F rating on that level though, my friend did too.

Then moved on to that mech sports game, forgot the name. This was the first demo I didn't like and made me feel a bit nauseous. With the other games I didn't feel a thing, but but playing that was uncomfortable.

We closed off with Rez (full game), and playing that in VR is a great way to rediscover a classic. Played from start til finish.

All in all this session may have convinced me to get a set at some point, but I'd probably buy the one with camera+move controllers. Seems like the Move is generally recommended.

Alright, keeping my contacts on then.

Damn, I tried pushing it upwards but the vision gets more blurry if I do so. I'll try playing around with it and hopefully I can find something that works.

For me it's actually the sharpest position, but the least comfortable...c'est la vie I guess...although I could make my nose less great again, any butchers around??

Baalzebup

hen moved on to that mech sports game, forgot the name. This was the first demo I didn't like and made me feel a bit nauseous. With the other games I didn't feel a thing, but but playing that was uncomfortable.
RIGS seems to be the one game that really seems to have a near-universal need for one to build up some VR-legs. It has a huge number of different comfort options that may help or hinder in varying manners for different people. Combine that with the general tolerance build-up and the length of a comfortable session can be multiplied many times over from where one starts. I've personally gone from 1-1½ hours of playtime wrecking me for basically rest of the day to playing 2½ hours without any after-effects.

Listening to the latest geekbox and they're saying that
Kitchen's knife woman
up close was blurry but I find that with PSVR, the close something is to you, the better it looks. Almost every instance of games, I find that the closer you get to something it looks clear and detailed: see also Alumette when you push forward and stare down at the characters.

*Splinter

How many levels does windlands offer? Is there any meat or can you beat it in a couple of hours?
3 levels of decent size, 6 short but fun challenge runs, plus collectibles that are easy to find but fun to try and get.

Took me 5 and a half hours for a fairly thorough play through, saw another gaffer finish in the same amount of time.

Highly recommend it! But be aware it's quite rough in terms of motion sickness.

bumpkin

Tried Jackal Assault last night, it was pretty slick but very short. I made a conscious effort to not do barrel rolls and I got through the whole thing without getting queasy.

I'm firing up Robinson shortly, I'll be sure to share impressions later.

Will0827

Decided to play some games in cinematic view and finally tried rocket leauge, doing some adjustments on the camera and holy crap. With the large screen size it is crazy. I can't play on my regular TV any more. Im more and more impressed with the cinematic mode each time.

gunstarhero

Anyone have there PSVR work perfectly, but then get glitchy even though the room conditions have not changed?

Since last night I'm experience a lot of drift - where the screen will move on it's own either left, right or in and out. It started happening after an hour of playing HeadMaster, then today while playing Super HyperCube.

I've had nothing but perfect experiences with it since launch - but these last 2 days have been real bad in comparison.

Seating distance and lighting have all been consistent since launch. Could it be the hardware?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
When my nephew/partner and mates were all round we got them playing The Heist and during the van level, when the window gets punched out I turned on a fan and pointed at whoever was playing.

My partner was like, "I CAN FEEL THE WIND!!!"

Amazing moment. Luckily I have a very vivid imagination/brain and I kinda felt it anyway, even when playing alone and having no fan on. There may have been a draught I just suddenly started paying attention to.

Same thing happened in The Assembly when I went through a decontamination chamber and was smoked. I could ever-so-slightly smell and feel it. Bizarre but cool.

During the bigger explosions in the VR mode of regular Super Stardust Ultra I hallucinate actually feeling all the little bits hitting me.

El-Suave

Further exploration of Eagle Flight have confirmed my good initial impression. I really like this game. The sense of speed is great and the first challenges already ask you to to some pretty breathtaking stuff. So far it has mainly been challenges like fly through a metro tunnel avoiding obstacles as quickly as you can or through a course marked by rings outside but those tasks are crafted pretty well and there have been plenty of "whoah" moments.
I also bought Windlands last week and Eagle Flight is definitely easier to get into. Windlands requires more skill to get into the flow. I'm not saying one game is better than the other because I can't do that yet

I never had any issues with drift but cinematic mode gives me the biggest problem with drift... is there anything I can do to combat this?

Futaba

Just a heads up for those looking for move controllers that don't want to pay crazy money, the cloned move controllers on AliExpress do actually work just fine and are significantly cheaper than buying the scalper priced units

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
SuperDowns said:
I never had any issues with drift but cinematic mode gives me the biggest problem with drift... is there anything I can do to combat this?
Cinematic is gyros only, so recentering by options menu should always work (and drifting would normally be proportional to the amount of 'quick' head movements).
But if it drifts while not moving at all, or recentering isn't doing anything, that does sound like a potential hw issue. 

somme

During the bigger explosions in the VR mode of regular Super Stardust Ultra I hallucinate actually feeling all the little bits hitting me.

That's pretty cool. Haven't had anything like that yet. (Though I was once on drugs and could taste pixels but that's besides the point) haha

Futaba

Cinematic is gyros only, so recentering by options menu should always work (and drifting would normally be proportional to the amount of 'quick' head movements).
But if it drifts while not moving at all, or recentering isn't doing anything, that does sound like a potential hw issue. 
Likely already been mentioned but rather than pull up the menu every time you can recenter by holding your head still and holding down options button for a couple seconds too

ZehDon

God damn, Battlezone is brutal. Tried an easy short campaign for a reprieve, still managed to wreck me by the half way point. Am I just terrible at this game, or is it supposed to be this hard?

Belfast

God damn, Battlezone is brutal. Tried an easy short campaign for a reprieve, still managed to wreck me by the half way point. Am I just terrible at this game, or is it supposed to be this hard?

Hard to tell if its just difficult or if experience helps. Took me a bunch of attempts to beat easy/short by myself, but I finally did right before the patch hit. After the patch, I got through a normal/short and normal/medium campaign on my first try each.

Further exploration of Eagle Flight have confirmed my good initial impression. I really like this game. The sense of speed is great and the first challenges already ask you to to some pretty breathtaking stuff. So far it has mainly been challenges like fly through a metro tunnel avoiding obstacles as quickly as you can or through a course marked by rings outside but those tasks are crafted pretty well and there have been plenty of "whoah" moments.
I also bought Windlands last week and Eagle Flight is definitely easier to get into. Windlands requires more skill to get into the flow. I'm not saying one game is better than the other because I can't do that yet

Can you turn off the comfort mask while turning? It actually makes things worse for me and immediately turned it off in Rigs.

bumpkin

So... Robinson. This was the game with a trailer that spurred me to want to get the PSVR to start with. I did the eye-to-eye distance setup wizard to make the image sharper in VR the other night, and even with that, holy shit at how blurry things look in this game. It was especially jarring in the starting area where the game begins. Crytek went totally ham with having things in the distance blurry and getting clearer as you get closer. Everything but what's directly in front of your face is blurred to hell.

The game also has this habit of throwing puzzles at you that are probably very simple to figure out, but does no favors in giving you hints. You have the floating robot blurting out quips every so often, but they're usually too vague to be useful. A perfect example is I got to this particular area and I had absolutely no clue whatsoever as to what I needed to do...

I was hoping to come away absolutely floored, but honestly it's left me somewhat disappointed... I guess on the bright side, Until Dawn, Batman, Tethered and PSVR Worlds validated my purchase already.

Damn like many others Scavengers Odyssey was nearly vomit inducing. I got pretty far into it and enjoyed what I played but ripped off the headset when I started pouring sweat.

16BitNova

So today I went to Gamespot and had my first experience with PSVR, or any VR for that matter. My main concern was that it took a lot of adjustment to find the sweet spot to have the sharpest image. I noticed if the headset moved a bit my image would get blurry. Is this a big issue. Or once its on, its on for good? Is it a very limited area where the image looks best?

I couldnt take forever adjusting so i just let it be cause there was people waiting to play. Also, i tried Eve Valkyrie, though a bit blurry, it was amazing. When the huge ships blows up in front of you. Amazing!

So today I went to Gamespot and had my first experience with PSVR, or any VR for that matter. My main concern was that it took a lot of adjustment to find the sweet spot to have the sharpest image. I noticed if the headset moved a bit my image would get blurry. Is this a big issue. Or once its on, its on for good? Is it a very limited area where the image looks best?

I couldnt take forever adjusting so i just let it be cause there was people waiting to play. Also, i tried Eve Valkyrie, though a bit blurry, it was amazing. When the huge ships blows up in front of you. Amazing!

The optimal area is kinda small, yes. First it will take you a while to find the sweet spot but you quickly get used to it as soon as you do it more often. Once it's there it doesn't move, so you are good for hours.

Fisty

Yes I worked around sparks for many years, and EVERY time I beat a boss on Super Stardust I whince and feel the need to shield my face. It's mildly irritating but so damned cool

16BitNova

The optimal area is kinda small, yes. First it will take you a while to find the sweet spot but you quickly get used to it as soon as you do it more often. Once it's there it doesn't move, so you are good for hours.

Okay, thank you. It was truly an awesome experience and I can't wait for more space flight games on PSVR. I remember turning around and seeing the back of the ship and space and hearing the kid waiting after me say "ohhh cool!" I actually smiled throughout the whole thing. Was so awesome. Cant wait to purchase it along with Pro this holiday.

El-Suave

Can you turn off the comfort mask while turning? It actually makes things worse for me and immediately turned it off in Rigs.

No, you can't. I just checked, the beak and forehead plus the sidefading can't be turned off. They are good for immersion though. The only setting there is in regards to VR comfort in Eagle Flight is that you can make a crosshair permanent that quickly fades on the default setting. That should give people an additional point to focus on if they need it I guess.

Mossybrew

Further exploration of Eagle Flight have confirmed my good initial impression. I really like this game.

Thanks for the impressions, I'm hoping this will be a PSVR game I can spend some time in.

I'm wondering if Tethered players have come to the same conclusions I did, as I heard a lot of "this is charming!" first impressions then mention of it kinda died.

The honeymoon is definitely over and the PSVR sits in its little basket for days at a time while we play Overwatch and Battlefield 1. Looking for more meat on these bones for sure.

Chris_C

Damn like many others Scavengers Odyssey was nearly vomit inducing. I got pretty far into it and enjoyed what I played but ripped off the headset when I started pouring sweat.

Seems a lot of folks had issues with Scavenger's Odyssey. I was braced for it to be the first game since Omega Agent that made me so dizzy I'd start to feel it, but I was completely fine with bounding from to place extremely quickly. The only time I started to feel dizzy was when I was bounding from place to place while circle strafing during a boss fight. Circle strafing in general was dizzying though.

Anyone else have no real problems with Scavenger's Odyssey?

NateDrake

I've been playing Eagle Flight since last week (but can't share too much or any footage due to embargo). I will say that it is better than I was expecting.

simtmb

What headphones are people using with the PS VR, or is everyone mostly using IEMs?

My DT770 doesn't fit unfortunately, so i'm curious as to what others are using.

What headphones are people using with the PS VR, or is everyone mostly using IEMs?

I'm glad to see your input on the DT770. I was wondering how the Beyerdynamics fit with PSVR. I'm using Grado SR60 cans which sit on the ears, but they don't sit flush with my ears, and if I loosen them too much they slide right off. It works for now but I'll be looking for a better alternative. My main gaming headset is the Skullcandy PLYR 1 which is wireless. I can't use it with PSVR but I tried it on for fit and it actually fits well with the PSVR headset. The circumaural cups sit flush against my head and feel secure even over the headset.

Instead of blindly ordering and returning headphones until I find a pair that works well with the PSVR headset, I may actually take my PSVR to a retail store so I can try a bunch at once. Should get quite a few curious looks from other customers. Lol.

Fusebox

Banned

Bose QC35s.

It kind of feels like they don't fit right, but they still sound awesome and do noice cancelling too so I guess they fit well enough.

I use Philips Fidelio X2s and they're perfect.

Seems a lot of folks had issues with Scavenger's Odyssey. I was braced for it to be the first game since Omega Agent that made me so dizzy I'd start to feel it, but I was completely fine with bounding from to place extremely quickly. The only time I started to feel dizzy was when I was bounding from place to place while circle strafing during a boss fight. Circle strafing in general was dizzying though.

Anyone else have no real problems with Scavenger's Odyssey?
I haven't had any nausea in PSVR aside from the first time I ever tried it (my first VR experience.

I get it though. The things that make other people sick are the things that give me a greater sense of motion. So I definitely feel it in Odyssey, but it just feels like immersion to me. The zooming binocular mechanic in the game is obnoxious.

Chris FOM

Get a good set of in-ear monitors (NOT ear buds, I'm talking about the ones the go in the ear canals, not perch outside them) with passive noise reduction (i.e. fill the ear canal to block sound). I'm using an old pair of Shure SE 210s, but anything from a real headphone company in the $60-150 range is a good place to look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom