• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

simtmb

The Lamonster, i'm gonna have to demo the X2's along with the headset together. Have heard nothing but good things about these so i'm keen on grabbing a pair regardless.

I'm glad to see your input on the DT770. I was wondering how the Beyerdynamics fit with PSVR. I'm using Grado SR60 cans which sit on the ears, but they don't sit flush with my ears, and if I loosen them too much they slide right off. It works for now but I'll be looking for a better alternative. My main gaming headset is the Skullcandy PLYR 1 which is wireless. I can't use it with PSVR but I tried it on for fit and it actually fits well with the PSVR headset. The circumaural cups sit flush against my head and feel secure even over the headset.

Instead of blindly ordering and returning headphones until I find a pair that works well with the PSVR headset, I may actually take my PSVR to a retail store so I can try a bunch at once. Should get quite a few curious looks from other customers. Lol.

I'd highly recommend that honestly. I wasn't happy with all the headphones i tried at home so far, M50x, DT770, HD555's to name a few, anything i wouldn't mind using with it has been a no, so I've settled on using some of my IEMs which i'll probably stick to.

Get a good set of in-ear monitors (NOT ear buds, I'm talking about the ones the go in the ear canals, not perch outside them) with passive noise reduction (i.e. fill the ear canal to block sound). I'm using an old pair of Shure SE 210s, but anything from a real headphone company in the $60-150 range is a good place to look.

Currently using a Vsonic AN16 which is doing well, but was hoping i'd be able to comfortably use any of my existing headphones that were lying around :)

Belfast

Seems a lot of folks had issues with Scavenger's Odyssey. I was braced for it to be the first game since Omega Agent that made me so dizzy I'd start to feel it, but I was completely fine with bounding from to place extremely quickly. The only time I started to feel dizzy was when I was bounding from place to place while circle strafing during a boss fight. Circle strafing in general was dizzying though.

Anyone else have no real problems with Scavenger's Odyssey?

Yeah that last fight gave me a little trouble, but I experienced no actual nausea. No game has yet, but I've largely avoided the non-cockpit/free motion games like Here They Lie or Windlanda.

I've experienced momentary dizziness, disorientation, vertigo, and the effects of minor g-forces in games like Rush of Blood, but never actual nausea. Most of these things honestly just felt like those you'd experience on a thrill ride or (if it were possible) in real life. There for a moment, then gone.

I played the Jackal Assault thing earlier today and was generally okay while fighting the enemies even when twisting and rolling, but before and after the fight where I was just looking down towards the massive planet Earth below me, I got some crazy vertigo. Weird, but kind of cool, and I imagine i would experience it in real life, too, if I somehow had the opportunity to.

These sensations may be unsettling, but they're also thrilling at the same time, and you always have the option of taking off the helmet.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
On the subject of headphone 'compatibility' with PSVR, anyone have Sennheiser HD 600 or 650s that they potentially use in tandem with their VR headset? If possible that is

Just continuing some running updates. Here are some Impressions of games that I've been playing on PSVR.

Brookhaven Experiment is a mixed bag. It's a wave based shooter where enemies come at you from all sides. Smartly, the devs have utilized a one-button 180 turn which allows you to quickly swing your view to enemies flanking from behind. It's a fun game - or would be - if the game didn't rely on the tiny face buttons of the MOVE controllers to reload. Instead of mapping reload the the giant middle button, utilizing a quick flick of the wand, it never quite feels comfortable hunting for the right button to reload your gun mid combat. What's worse, the reload time takes FOREVER, so if your back is against the wall and you find that you'll need a quick reload during more intense moments, you might want to switch to melee and hope for the best.

And those intense moments come with uncomfortable frequency. Firing off the MOVE guns would feel a lot more satisfying if the shooting registered more accurately. Brookhaven Experiment instructs players to aim down the sight instead of aiming at the enemy, but you'll find that perfectly lined head shots either don't hit as often as they should, or simply don't register. Monsters descend quickly after absorbing your first shot, and the game becomes a frantic fumbling with the controller for rapid fire shots, reloads, and alternating between flashlight (with your other MOVE controller) or melee. You'll find that if you can overcome the creepiness factor of the bad guys, meleeing in the dark isn't such a bad option.

The graphics are descent enough, and the monsters look downright horrifying up close. The whole game has a The Mist vibe going on with some inter dimensional breach causing the end of the world , but it's all just nonsense for the shooting. Which is really just adequate. For 20 bucks, it's a fair buy if you absolutely need something to fill the shooting void after playing Until Dawn: Rush of Blood, but you're probably better served gambling your time away with...

R.I.G.S - impressions incoming.

Ozorov

So I will get my PSVR on tuesday and Pro on thursday. To wait until the Pro or test it on OG...
Btw, does PS3 move controllers work with PSVR?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I went to a firework display last night and they had a fairground which had a ghost train ride and just for the hell of it I went on it and pretended I had two move controllers in my hands whilst shooting at the skeletons etc....

Rush of Blood for real. LOL.

Planet

Rush of Blood for real. LOL.
On last year's holiday trip we went to the Netherlands and there visited the Hellendorn amusement park. They have a ghost train ride there where you get a light gun to shoot various targets. The car has four places, one on each side facing outwards. So if you ride it with just two persons you get to dual wield, great fun. That actually is pretty close to Rush of Blood... XD

Ammogeddon

So I will get my PSVR on tuesday and Pro on thursday. To wait until the Pro or test it on OG...
Btw, does PS3 move controllers work with PSVR?

Oh that's a tough one but I reckon stick to your plan.

If you can hold out till Thursday you'll jump straight into the maximum experience PSVR can deliver. But if you get the headset Tuesday you'll be able to appreciate whatever the pro improvement is even more, plus you'll have pretty much set it all up ready. And you'll spread out the enjoyment of opening shiny new tech :)

mr lurtle

I've shown my mother who had absolutely no idea about vr ocean descent and she was blown away and can't stop talking about it. Now I really want to show her more but as she never held a controller I'm looking for more passive experiences. Only things I can think of are Alumette and that Invasion short. Maybe the kitchen demo but I think that might be to dark ;)
Is there any more stuff like Ocean descent for the psvr?

God damn, Battlezone is brutal. Tried an easy short campaign for a reprieve, still managed to wreck me by the half way point. Am I just terrible at this game, or is it supposed to be this hard?

It is hard, solo is particularly punishing. I managed to finish an 'easy' short campaign before the balancing patch and finished a 4 player hard campaign last night.

One tip is to hack any optional objectives you can. Some unlock new weapons, but the ones you really want reduce the AI power level. Letting the AI power increase after every hex makes later maps really difficult.

orioto

Good Art™
Finished Scavengers Odyssey in one shot. Really liked it except for a weird problem with the sound stopping in my earbuds from time to time. I hope it's just the game..

By the way i tried using better headphones but i don't like it, cause you then have something on top of your head, that eventually moves when you look up. (I have a small head)

El-Suave

I've shown my mother who had absolutely no idea about vr ocean descent and she was blown away and can't stop talking about it. Now I really want to show her more but as she never held a controller I'm looking for more passive experiences. Only things I can think of are Alumette and that Invasion short. Maybe the kitchen demo but I think that might be to dark ;)

Maybe the Harmonix Music VR game could be worth checking out, but I'm not sure. Headmaster is controller free and easy to learn, it's also a great game but it might not be mom material and it's still a game. Both are on the demo disc.
When it's out consider Eagle Flight - it has a free flight mode that doesn't require buttons to play, you can use L2 and R2 to speed up or down, but you don't have to. It certainly would be the one I'd pick to show off to a parent because it's pretty impressive.

I would recommend Pixel Gear, the move controls are fairly simple, you aim and press the trigger.

There is no motion based movement (best for VR beginners) and the gameplay is so simple that everyone in my family can pick up and play. Even my parents that don't game had a blast.

What headphones are people using with the PS VR, or is everyone mostly using IEMs?

My DT770 doesn't fit unfortunately, so i'm curious as to what others are using.

The packed in earbuds are surprisingly decent but I'm now using my HyperX Cloud 2 headphones, they sound awesome.

Quocia

Neo Member
I tried "Keep talking and nobody explodes". It's really fun with some friends, you don't need to have a second gamepad because the second player can use a camputer.

You have a few minutes to disarm a bomb so the second player is supposed to help you but doesn't see what's in your headset.

Fliesen

I tried "Keep talking and nobody explodes". It's really fun with some friends, you don't need to have a second gamepad because the second player can use a camputer.

You have a few minutes to disarm a bomb so the second player is supposed to help you but doesn't see what's in your headset.

trust me, it's even better if the 2nd (and third!) player use actual printed manual pages.
and a legal pad for taking notes.

For later levels, you'll be screaming at them "ok, i see 5 batteries, serial number ends with a 6, red button that says HOLD - let's do symbols first"
it's all about parallelization and multi tasking later on. Like handing off horizontal wires, the button and the 'scrambled words' to someone to solve by themselves, while you do a more 'interactive' puzzle (simon says, morse code, memory, ...)

NeoRausch

On the subject of headphone 'compatibility' with PSVR, anyone have Sennheiser HD 600 or 650s that they potentially use in tandem with their VR headset? If possible that is

Not exactly what your looking for, but I used my Sennheiser HD558 with PSVR.
It fits, but it's a really tight fit. The sound was awesome, but the "getting it all mounted to my head"-part wasn't worth it.

I would go for a good pair of in ears.

mr lurtle

Maybe the Harmonix Music VR game could be worth checking out, but I'm not sure. Headmaster is controller free and easy to learn, it's also a great game but it might not be mom material and it's still a game. Both are on the demo disc.
When it's out consider Eagle Flight - it has a free flight mode that doesn't require buttons to play, you can use L2 and R2 to speed up or down, but you don't have to. It certainly would be the one I'd pick to show off to a parent because it's pretty impressive.

I would recommend Pixel Gear, the move controls are fairly simple, you aim and press the trigger.

There is no motion based movement (best for VR beginners) and the gameplay is so simple that everyone in my family can pick up and play. Even my parents that don't game had a blast.

I will check out Harmonix Music and Pixel Gear. Already have Eagle Flight pre-ordered. Thanks for the suggestions!

Anarion07

So... Robinson. This was the game with a trailer that spurred me to want to get the PSVR to start with. I did the eye-to-eye distance setup wizard to make the image sharper in VR the other night, and even with that, holy shit at how blurry things look in this game. It was especially jarring in the starting area where the game begins. Crytek went totally ham with having things in the distance blurry and getting clearer as you get closer. Everything but what's directly in front of your face is blurred to hell.

I'm pretty sure the eye distance setting doesn't do anything for sharpness. Just proportions of ingame stuff.
Sharpness is subject to how good the headset fits

Futaba

I found tightening the rear knob then lifting the back further up my head, bringing the optics closer to my eye made the sharpness issue less troublesome, though it ends up so close that you can sometimes feel your eyelashes touch the lens.. that said, it definitely helps.

zoukka

Until Dawn demo was surprisingly fun, how robust is the full game? I had no issues aiming with just the dualshock. The enemies running at you are pretty scary I have to admit.

The CoD jackal demo was fun too, nothing special, but entertaining still.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
sn00zer said:
Does anyone know why this is, because using the PS menu is fucking awful due to the traking being all over the damn place.
Sampling gyro data is "free" - you just read the sensor output.
Sampling camera/position uses CPU and GPU resources, so it would adversely impact performance of 2d games in cinematic-mode that expect full-resources available.

So... Robinson. This was the game with a trailer that spurred me to want to get the PSVR to start with. I did the eye-to-eye distance setup wizard to make the image sharper in VR the other night, and even with that, holy shit at how blurry things look in this game. It was especially jarring in the starting area where the game begins. Crytek went totally ham with having things in the distance blurry and getting clearer as you get closer. Everything but what's directly in front of your face is blurred to hell.

The game also has this habit of throwing puzzles at you that are probably very simple to figure out, but does no favors in giving you hints. You have the floating robot blurting out quips every so often, but they're usually too vague to be useful. A perfect example is I got to this particular area and I had absolutely no clue whatsoever as to what I needed to do...

I was hoping to come away absolutely floored, but honestly it's left me somewhat disappointed... I guess on the bright side, Until Dawn, Batman, Tethered and PSVR Worlds validated my purchase already.
Did you ever figure out how to get past that section? Does it have something to do with powering up stuff in that area? I'm stuck there too.

Wow, the CoD Jackal demo is outstanding, sharp, fluid, the scale of the big ships is marvelous, the cockpit looks terrific. Almost zero fluffy stomach feelings, looking down to planet earth is also very nice, the explosions though are laughable.

Damn, if only we could get a full scale game like that with a real campaign...Sony ffs bring Colony Wars back!!!

Hope the Battlefront demo is even better than this one ;)

zoukka

Does nobody else have the problem that you can't press X on the EULA Screen?

Am I alone?

I have it. Apparently you need to be on the second to last page and hammer X while looking in different directions.

I have no idea how they fucked that up so bad.

I have it. Apparently you need to be on the second to last page and hammer X while looking in different directions.

I have no idea how they fucked that up so bad.

I think you're meant to look straight at the middle of the text wall or something like that. Move around your head and hammer x.

Edit: re7 will probably make you look at every word before you can start, in case somebody dies with the headset on ;)

Maligna

Banned
Until Dawn demo was surprisingly fun, how robust is the full game? I had no issues aiming with just the dualshock. The enemies running at you are pretty scary I have to admit.

Until Dawn is great. I think it's maybe 6 levels? I found the level they used on the demo (2nd level in the full game) was the weakest of all of them. Lots of replay value if you want to search for the hidden collectibles or get a better score.

Also you HAVE to play with move controllers. It makes the game 2x better. Immersion is upped by a lot when you are "holding" the guns, one in each hand and you can point then in different directions. Plus shake to reload feels great.

Quocia

Neo Member
trust me, it's even better if the 2nd (and third!) player use actual printed manual pages.
and a legal pad for taking notes.

For later levels, you'll be screaming at them "ok, i see 5 batteries, serial number ends with a 6, red button that says HOLD - let's do symbols first"
it's all about parallelization and multi tasking later on. Like handing off horizontal wires, the button and the 'scrambled words' to someone to solve by themselves, while you do a more 'interactive' puzzle (simon says, morse code, memory, ...)

Yeah, when my friend saw a symbol for the first time he told me "it's like a snake in the shape of a tree but with two eyes". It quickly became the "snake" symbol, and so on.
I was afraid the game would become too easy but as you said, there are still puzzles that require time

until dawn ROD is pretty great - 6 levels and some scary jump scares in there too. I was like aahhhh in fright. VR is great for horror.

The game also has this habit of throwing puzzles at you that are probably very simple to figure out, but does no favors in giving you hints. You have the floating robot blurting out quips every so often, but they're usually too vague to be useful. A perfect example is I got to this particular area and I had absolutely no clue whatsoever as to what I needed to do...

I was hoping to come away absolutely floored, but honestly it's left me somewhat disappointed... I guess on the bright side, Until Dawn, Batman, Tethered and PSVR Worlds validated my purchase already.

That's a shame - this is a $60 game? Have you finished? What's the play time?

Anyone else have impressions? I really want this.

Fliesen

Yeah, when my friend saw a symbol for the first time he told me "it's like a snake in the shape of a tree but with two eyes". It quickly became the "snake" symbol, and so on.
I was afraid the game would become too easy but as you said, there are still puzzles that require time

"A with a penis, O with a penis, smiley face, 'that symbol that makes blanks appear as dots in word' (Pi) "

"Alien with a Staff" (first column, 5th symbol)
1ACD5A5A6EEF52A3058B59D8B0A11ABD750B67D3

bumpkin

That's a shame - this is a $60 game? Have you finished? What's the play time?

Anyone else have impressions? I really want this.
I paid $32 for it with Best Buy's GCU. I haven't finished it yet, I'm still stuck on the part I posted about. I've got about two hours invested in the game so far, but I have no idea how far into the total playtime that I am. The starting camp had two areas that were blocked off by energy barriers and I'm in the midst of where the first gate took me.

Gemeanie

For Jackal Aasault demo, I think you may need to look slightly upwards around the top of the agreement while spamming X on the last 2 pages of the agreement. Looking straight didn't work for me.

For headphone I use Siberia P300 after breaking PS Gold headset but this may be too small for adult males when used with PSVR. Tried using the included earbuds but they're too underwhelming compared to headphone. Bass earbuds should work better imo.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Holy shit, is there no way to invert controls in the jackal demo? It's completely unplayable for me.

Shoeless

If you're looking for more passive experiences, try the VRideo app, if you're in North America. It's basically YouTube for VR videos. There's a mix of animation and live action videos there over a bunch of different topics. You can find live action virtual house tours, movie and game trailers, even gravure swimsuit stuff. Just a big range of passive viewing experiences, some live action, some animated. There's even shark and dinosaur stuff in there.

FaintDeftone

I enjoyed the Jackal Assult freebie more than I did any of EVE Valkyrie. I would love a full game of this.

I have Loading Human coming from Gamefly this week. Anybody have any experience with this one?

I paid $32 for it with Best Buy's GCU. I haven't finished it yet, I'm still stuck on the part I posted about. I've got about two hours invested in the game so far, but I have no idea how far into the total playtime that I am. The starting camp had two areas that were blocked off by energy barriers and I'm in the midst of where the first gate took me.
Worth $32? So far it doesn't sounds like it. I'm contemplating on returning it based on impressions.

bumpkin

Worth $32? So far it doesn't sounds like it. I'm contemplating on returning it based on impressions.
It really depends. If you love dinosaurs then it's got plenty of moments that will make you mark out. I was in awe, head up and jaw open, the first time I reached an area where there were three or four giant sauropods lumbering about. It nails the feeling of being in the wilderness surrounded by giant (and small) beasts.

Some things are weird like how the device in Robin's hand acts like a telekinetic wand that lets you grab things and fling them about. It's annoying that it's limited only to what the designers want you to manipulate though. And it's also bothersome that there is no way to manipulate the objects in your grasp in both dimensions. Unless there's something I'm missing, I could only rotate them on the Y axis, but not on the X axis.

I also don't like how you press X to interact with things, but again, it's limited to only what the designers made interactive. So for example, you're in your pod at the beginning and on a desk littered with items, there is nothing you can inspect or grab.

The turning using the right stick being locked to a set number of degrees can be overridden in the settings, but the blur makes it nausea inducing so I left it at the pre-set (Pie Chart). It does make lining things up for precise movements kind of challenging at times. Once you get used to it though, it isn't so bad. You kind of prepare for it.

I've been playing Eagle Flight since last week (but can't share too much or any footage due to embargo). I will say that it is better than I was expecting.
Can we have a baseline of what your expectations were? Or will that infringe upon the embargo?

I'll be getting Eagle Flight, even though I am currently swimming in a backlog. When does it ever end?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom