• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

D23

The Call of duty vr experience was amazing. I really really enjoyed that.

This makes me want to get Eve.. is it plays just like that?

I enjoyed the Jackal Assult freebie more than I did any of EVE Valkyrie. I would love a full game of this.

I have Loading Human coming from Gamefly this week. Anybody have any experience with this one?

Loading Human: Chapter 1 gets some credit for being one of the fuller experiences on the PSVR. It's an adventure game where you play as the sole inhabitant of some type of off-earth outpost. Your goal, at least early on in the game, is to figure out puzzles like turning on power and activating security AI as you piece together the story of what happened to your girlfriend, and probably everyone else.

While this might be more compelling than the typical flash-and-you're done experiences on the PSVR, the writing and voice acting is fairly awful.

Still, it's story. One that would almost be worth plowing through if the controls weren't so cumbersome. In these early days of VR, developers seem to be experimenting with the best control schemes for the right situations. Problems become amplified, of course, when your game offers full exploration w/o teleportation or wave-based play coming towards you.

The best of these help you forget that you're playing a game. Nobody has figured it out 100% yet, but the Loading Human guys have a longer road ahead of them.

Push the giant face button on your move controller and go forward. Hold your controller placing your arm to the left, and you're facing left. Do the same for the right, and now you're facing right. Point the controller behind you and push the button, and now you're backing up. Point your MOVE controller down and hit the button, and your crouching. Point up and button, and you're standing. Grab with the trigger.

At first, the controls feel novel. It's an interesting approach to the concept of full immersion. And with enough practice, eventually it might feel natural. Unfortunately, it never did for me, and even simple tasks like turning around to explore a small area became an exercise in frustration.

It's all just so disorienting. The game moves slowly enough where issues of nausea never crop up, but you'll spend so much time fumbling to accomplish even the smallest tasks that exploring further becomes a battle of stubborn determination.

Your mileage depends on how concerned you are with seeing the story realized. Because there's nothing quite like it in the PSVR space, that certainly counts for something. LOADING HUMAN: Chapter One glides by on the fact that as an early launch title with gamers eager for ANY new experience on their PSVRs, this mediocre game gets more shine than it probably deserves.

For the extremely patient, it's probably worth a redbox rental. For everyone else, I'd suggest trying Here They Lie, which is another atmospheric /story-based game with MUCH better controls. Impressions on that forthcoming.

NeoRausch

I have it. Apparently you need to be on the second to last page and hammer X while looking in different directions.

I have no idea how they fucked that up so bad.

I think you're meant to look straight at the middle of the text wall or something like that. Move around your head and hammer x.

Edit: re7 will probably make you look at every word before you can start, in case somebody dies with the headset on ;)

You've gotta be shittting me! 😂

Edit:

Well.... Fuck me. It worked. Wonderful stupid.

Plasma

Banned
I played a bit more of Loading Human I think I'm just going to stop playing that game now I'm getting tired of fighting the awful movement controls in that game.

TheMan

Not sure how much of the game will be VR but it releases Nov 8th.

yeah, i don't think there's much VR footage out there. I'm really curious what it will look like. As others have said, the game is so fast with so many elevation changes, it will almost certainly make most people sick.

ChouGoku

The Call of duty vr experience was amazing. I really really enjoyed that.

This makes me want to get Eve.. is it plays just like that?

Eve plays much better, but has a worse IQ (still more than good enough for me). Eve doesn't have a lot of content but its a very fun game for me

RoyalFool

Banned
So it's been a few weeks now, how often are you guys still playing with your headset?

Was worried mine would end up getting boxed after the initial shiny-new-thing period wore off, but despite the setup time (headset, headphones, get it in focus, get a chair, get the PS4 all up and running etc) I find myself normally playing it for about an hour each day.

Biggest change are the type of interactions, tend to stay away from the high-thrill titles and just do a lot of free-drive in driveclub and playing virtual pool to unwind.

That new thread on Pro vs Regular on Pro kinda fucked with me. I didn't want to a pro but after seeing the Robinson screenshot... I really want one. That's my nintendo switch money though :(

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
That new thread on Pro vs Regular on Pro kinda fucked with me. I didn't want to a pro but after seeing the Robinson screenshot... I really want one. That's my nintendo switch money though :(

Doesn't everyone on GAF say Robinson is kinda meh tho?

So it's been a few weeks now, how often are you guys still playing with your headset?

Was worried mine would end up getting boxed after the initial shiny-new-thing period wore off, but despite the setup time (headset, headphones, get it in focus, get a chair, get the PS4 all up and running etc) I find myself normally playing it for about an hour each day.

Biggest change are the type of interactions, tend to stay away from the high-thrill titles and just do a lot of free-drive in driveclub and playing virtual pool to unwind.

Play it most days and love it, keep playing it late on though, which I shouldn't really do as I need an hour or two to wind down when I really should be sleeping. I usually intend to only play for 30 mins to an hour but easily lose track of time and end up playing for around 3 hours.

I prefer the high intensity stuff myself so can't wait for Eagle Flight this week.

I haven't used mine in about two weeks now, although it's not for lack of wanting to. For me, I can really only play after my daughter goes to bed and when I'm not watching TV or otherwise spending time with my wife. I've been working a lot at night lately, so that has been eating up my time.

I really need to pick up Batman one of these days.

Ammogeddon

I prefer the high intensity stuff myself so can't wait for Eagle Flight this week.

Yeah Eagle flight is probably my next VR game. General impressions seem to be favourable too which is good to hear. Shame that Robinson isn't all that it's cracked up to be but it's made my decision making a lot easier.

rubes7844

Banned
This game is so good

XJFudoA.jpg

*Splinter

I spend more time in VR than regular gaming. I jump on battlefield or rocket league occasionally to play with friends, but otherwise it's all VR

What headphones are people using with the PS VR, or is everyone mostly using IEMs?

My DT770 doesn't fit unfortunately, so i'm curious as to what others are using.

Beoplay H6 fits over the headset perfectly for me. It's going to depend on how much space there is between the bottom of the band and the top of your ear though. I have to have the band fairly high to clear my glasses, which are only slightly angled at the ear.

Have to say, I'm not having much fun with the move based games. London Heist was a mess, but that Scavenger game, I could play a full campaign of that. Probably only in hour or two chunks though.

Mudo

Has anyone played this new game on the store O! My Genesis? It's only 2.99 and i want a new game.

Also, is Super Stardust worth full price ? I never owned it previously but if VR mode is great i may bite.

I'm super anticipating the PS4 Pro this week and the enhancements that i'm sure it will bring. I went into this knowing the graphics wouldn't be great and have been having an amazing experience regardless. Sorta like being a kid again:)

DukeBobby

Jackal Assault was pretty cool, but it was pretty much a longer (and better) version of the EVE demo.

Still, it was free so I can't complain.

I've been using it daily, usually trying to get the platinum on Pixel Gear or using Cinematic mode and playing Rogue Galaxy. Showing it off to my family and doing some London Heist and VEV missions during my spare time.

El-Suave

I play it regularly, it's my main gaming focus together with daily sessions of Destiny. When the big games like Watchdogs and FF XV are coming I'll probably stop playing it for a few weeks and shift my focus to them. That's perfectly fine though, I'm still really happy with the device.

Has anyone played this new game on the store O! My Genesis? It's only 2.99 and i want a new game.

I have it, its a pretty good game. It's like Tethered only you control the planets and aliens with your hands (moves).

It's a bit short with only two planets and two modes (explains the $3 price) but when you finish the game it stated that more planets are coming soon so it definitely worth the price. The graphics are a little dull but other than that its a great game.

somme

Anyone know when O! My Genesis and The Brookhaven Experiment are coming to the UK/EU? I can't seem to find out.

Was playing through thumper today, finished the first 4 levels and went back and s ranked level one also.

Loving it, really does start getting crazy later on and the levels get pretty long too. Also feels like I'm fighting my way through a tool album cover lol.

The funny thing is that the music and visuals dont vary too much and yet it remains extremely engaging and fun and sucks you in. Also while it's a simple vr adaption compared to some games it feels like one of the best games right now. I took my headset off and saw what it looked like on the TV and after playing it in vr for so long I just couldn't imagine trying it out normally since it just felt so detached and flat looking at it on the TV. You really can't understand how vital vr is for it until you play it yourself.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I took my headset off and saw what it looked like on the TV and after playing it in vr for so long I just couldn't imagine trying it out normally since it just felt so detached and flat looking at it on the TV. You really can't understand how vital vr is for it until you play it yourself.
That is the exact experience I get with Thumper and also Rez now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom