• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bancho

Hi Guys,

This is a pretty big thread and i'm probably going to ask a question about the motion sickness and nausea that's been asked numerous times

I got to try my friends PS VR last night and whilst i was very impressed with it, i felt really rough after about an hour on it. I wasn't sick but i had that rising feeling from my stomach to my throat. Only time i ever suffered with this feeling was watching Cloverfield.

I've just picked up a Pro, and the VR seems like a really good addition, but i don't want to drop £350 on it and always feel like i'm gong to spew up.

I guess what i'm asking is does the nausea felling eventually disappear after playing it more and more?

Hi Guys,

This is a pretty big thread and i'm probably going to ask a question about the motion sickness and nausea that's been asked numerous times

I got to try my friends PS VR last night and whilst i was very impressed with it, i felt really rough after about an hour on it. I wasn't sick but i had that rising feeling from my stomach to my throat. Only time i ever suffered with this feeling was watching Cloverfield.

I've just picked up a Pro, and the VR seems like a really good addition, but i don't want to drop £350 on it and always feel like i'm gong to spew up.

I guess what i'm asking is does the nausea felling eventually disappear after playing it more and more?
Most people: Yes, you will get used to it and eventually not feel a thing.

Some games are also better or worse at handling locomotion. I can barrel roll, turn on a dime, boost and fly like a maniac while looking all around the place in EVE, but a game like Here They Lie makes me want to vomit in a heartbeat as I found walking/turning to be absolutely dreadful.

Hi Guys,

well it depends. Some games have LOW VR sickness ratings (see: Rez/Thumper/PSVRworlds/Tumble) while others (Robinson, Eve, Rigs) have higher sickness inducing qualities.

The more you play, the more your brain gets used to it. I barrelled rolled in CODJA today and went "lol, this game" but didnt feel sick. I wish that I could have spun faster.

Shoeless

Hi Guys,

It does. You can build up a tolerance for it, many people here have, but go easy on yourself and don't try to force yourself through it. Take breaks and let time naturally adapt you to it. Games where you're stationary shouldn't give you trouble.

panda-zebra

Hi Guys,

Let's hear what your friend had you play in what order - just want to see how sadistic they might or might not be.

Bancho

Let's hear what your friend had you play in what order - just want to see how sadistic they might or might not be.

It was actually my choice lol.

I played a few games in this order.

Rigs,
Some football heading game (which was actually really cool!)
DriveclubVR
And then a game where i was in the sea and a shark was truing to eat me!

I think DCVR is where i started to feel a bit rough. I stopped at the shark game.

My friend took over after that and played London Heist and Rush of Blood. I think ROB would of took me over the edge lol.

Rigs,
DriveclubVR

I think DCVR is where i started to feel a bit rough. I stopped at the shark game.

My friend took over after that and played London Heist and Rush of Blood. I think ROB would of took me over the edge lol.

well, you played Rigs + vomit comet (DriveClub).

ha.

ROB has low VR sickness. Fun game.

Shoeless

Rigs,
DriveclubVR

Yeah, you jumped into the deep end. As RonaldThump said, RIGs and Drive Club are two of the bigger contenders for VR induced motion sickness. Many people without VR experience get nauseous from the turns that those games put you through. When you're just traveling in a straight line, such as in Rush of Blood, it's not so bad, so you might actually be better with that game.

Try a few of the stationary games first, like Batman or Ocean Descent and work your way up to it.

Advice I give everyone before I put a headset on them:

Don't forget to breathe through your nose.
If you start to feel sick, it's time for a break.
It is impossible to "power through" nausea while still in VR.
When you want out, put down the controller and then take off the headphones.

It's amazing how many people try to take off the headset first, and while still holding a controller, looking all around as if they can see the couch lol

Zombine

Banned
Bummed out that after getting my PS4 Pro and entirely re-arranging my electronics the processor unit is STILL overheating.

After about 10 minutes or so of play it gets wicked hot, and eventually shuts itself down. I blew on the fan and everything, and gave my PS4 the biggest most open slot on my tv stand:

0JGVolE.jpg

This definitely should be enough space for ventilation, but the unit continues to overheat.

doby

Bummed out that after getting my PS4 Pro and entirely re-arranging my electronics the processor unit is STILL overheating.

After about 10 minutes or so of play it gets wicked hot, and eventually shuts itself down. I blew on the fan and everything, and gave my PS4 the biggest most open slot on my tv stand:

This definitely should be enough space for ventilation, but the unit continues to overheat.

I'm guessing the thermal pad for the heat sink isn't fully on the PU's processor. Open it up and check, you won't void warranty, there's no security seals.

The PS4 air inlet is on the right side of the PS4. Right where your PU is. The PS4 has a stronger draw than your PU. Chances are your PS4 is pulling more air through, giving your PU trouble breathing.

Try moving the PU outside the box where the PS4 won't be drawing from the same source. The PU has a wickedly small fan.

That's all I got. If the PU fan isn't working - that could be an issue, too.

test_account

XP-39C²
if you wanna fap dont forget that the PS camera is watching you ;P.
On this note, i've sometimes forgotten that the PS Camera has a mic, and when i just keep it plugged in and start playing e.g Uncharted 4 or Battlefield 1 online, i might shout, later realize that other people have heard me through voice chat, lol.

Mobius1

Can anyone give their impression on improvements to Cinema Mode while using the PS4 Pro? Hoping the IQ gets a boost or something

antibolo

Banned
On this note, i've sometimes forgotten that the PS Camera has a mic, and when i just keep it plugged in and start playing e.g Uncharted 4 or Battlefield 1 online, i might shout, later realize that other people have heard me through voice chat, lol.

There's an option in the PS4 OS to keep the camera microphone muted at all times. Unless you actually care about voice commands (I don't) you should enable that option.

Sorry if this has been asked, but do the PS4 Pro VR improvements show up in any of the demos? I just picked up a Pro but I don't have any VR games yet (still waiting on iam8bit to ship my physical copy of Rez). There are a couple games, like Drive Club VR, I might buy if the image quality was improved enough.

So after about an hour of testing I did have 1 issue where the screen went black for about 4 seconds came back, then flashed a couple of red lines for a split second then back to normal.

That was about 20 minutes in and after I enabled 1.4 HDCP on the Pro in safe mode.

Sigh. At least it's not constant and it may be a fluke in terms of happening with far less frequency than with HDCP set to Auto.

More testing is needed but at least this is heading in the right direction... I think.

I feel this isn't a hardware issue and more to do with software on the OS side.

I'm out of suggestions until I get to play more to see if today's playtime was a fluke and it comes back or if it did knock out most of the issues with the occasional one off spaz.

One last thing to try is removing everything from the chain before boot after the PU and not use HDMI out to eliminate everything but the Pro and PSVR.

With all the setup issues people have, tracking issues and now this I am pretty spent on getting an ideal experience. Took me some time to get it setup without drift, still some minor swimming issues the further back you are from the camera, even at 7 feet in Job Sim (which isn't far), can't use rest mode, etc. It seems very hit or miss a good 10% of the time and feels like a roll of the dice every time I use it. Still love the experience but it's wonky. I would easily have spent a hundo more on a better setup with dedicated VR cameras and better tracking. The experience is worth it when it works. I'll still recommend it but not without warning people first. Issues should not be this widespread.

Ozorov

Sorry if this has been asked, but do the PS4 Pro VR improvements show up in any of the demos? I just picked up a Pro but I don't have any VR games yet (still waiting on iam8bit to ship my physical copy of Rez). There are a couple games, like Drive Club VR, I might buy if the image quality was improved enough.
They dont according to people in this thread. Never tried it myself

Loudninja

PSVR games for the week

Space Rift — Episode 1
PS VR — Digital
After a devastating meteor shower, Earth has turned into a desert wasteland. Humanity has been forced to relocate to Mars, where they live under the strict leadership of megacorps Weyss and Pandora. You take on the role of Casey Black, who has been slaving away as a pilot for Weyss. After being labeled a traitor by a computer error, your only chance to survive is joining the rebels of the Anoxia Station.

Time Machine VR
PS VR — Digital
As a time-travelling cadet, explore the Jurassic era and the ancient creatures that once ruled the prehistoric oceans. Use advanced tech tools to track, examine, and discover scientifically accurate creatures like mosasaurs, livyatans, and megalodons. Uncover the mysteries of the ancient past, find the connection between a prehistoric virus, the melting ice caps, and a present-day epidemic that is exterminating humankind.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/11/11/the-drop-new-playstation-games-for-11152016/

not on the demo disc with all the games: so nope there.

but for these demos - COD jackal; trackmania demo both show improved visuals and are both quite compelling to look at.

Shoeless

not on the demo disc with all the games: so nope there.

but for these demos - COD jackal; trackmania demo both show improved visuals and are both quite compelling to look at.

Weird. Must be the placebo effect for me then. I popped in the VR demo disc and tried out Ocean Descent and the Kitchen, and my wife, looking at it on the TV, said "This looks sharper than before."

I also thought that both Ocean Descent and the Kitchen looked less blurry, but it might just be my imagination. I was going to ask if anyone else had noticed.

Weird. Must be the placebo effect for me then. I popped in the VR demo disc and tried out Ocean Descent and the Kitchen, and my wife, looking at it on the TV, said "This looks sharper than before."

I also thought that both Ocean Descent and the Kitchen looked less blurry, but it might just be my imagination. I was going to ask if anyone else had noticed.

kitchen looks exactly the same.

I might compare OD and the game on disc (PSVRworld) and report back.

Does anyone who has Tumble VR know if there's a secret level 80? I got all the hidden blocks and finished level 79 but it just seems weird to end it on such a number, no? I haven't gotten all the times and target medals so maybe it appears once you get every medal. Can anyone confirm?

bumpkin

Hmm, it worked fine for me. But I saw zero improvement over the standard PS4 version. Did I miss anything? Was there an increase in resolution? It does show the latest patch notes so it should be patched.
I'm still playing on a standard PS4. I assume you're playing on a Pro (hence the mention of no improvement)?

The only thing I haven't tried is unplugging the PSVR PU and powering it back up fresh. I haven't done that since I first set it up; haven't had to. I haven't had any issues with major drifting.

Unfortunately I'm trying to open it because it does need repairs...
What repairs does it need?

It's, what, a month from release? You are under warranty. Exchange it or have it repaired. If you crack it open and can't fix it you are out the price of the unit because they won't touch it.

I mean, dude, you are under warranty. Why even chance it? Even if you have to wait for an exchange or warranty it's better to lose a week or two of VR than to void the warranty.

Aske

I'm reading a lot about VR motion sickness, but no one's mentioned anti-nauseants. Before my first session, I'll probably pick up a bunch of travel sickness pills. I think the ginger ones can be popped like candy, and they won't make you drowsy if that's a problem you have with other pills. I've never gotten motion sickness, so I suspect I'll be fine, but no way am I going to roll over and slowly let my brain acclimatise to VR should the need arise. I'll aggressively treat the nausea so I can keep having fun while my brain catches up.

ChouGoku

Hi Guys,

I have a Gear VR that gave me motion sickness when I first got it. It wore off and by the time I got my PSVR. The only game I had slight sickness was Eve Valkyrie and thats only if I was doing to many loops and turns. Even that wore off in a week.

doby

Any resources on how to safely open the processor? I removed 3 of the screws, but can only partially open the case.

I've opened mine already and it's pretty simple. First remove the sliding bit, you should be able to just slide it off sideways after lifting the edges slightly.

Next remove the 3 black screws and 2 silver screws (that were hidden under the sliding bit).

Now you should be able to get it apart, it does have clips holding it together so gently separate the parts so the clips are left in tact (but to be honest they don't do much anyway so it's no problem if they break).

Remove the 4(or is it 3) silver screws holding the logic board and shield down. Now you should be able to remove the shield.

To remove the logic board lift it out from the opposite end to the ports (power, usb, hdmi's). It should lift out pretty easily, its not connected to the heat sink.

Check the silicone thermal pad is positioned correctly, then put it all back together again, remember when putting the logic board back in to go port side in first.

If you ever need to exchange it or have it repaired under warranty I wouldn't.

The PU has no warranty seals, so as long as he doesn't mess anything up they'll never know ;)

Well, I mean you can hack a fix yourself or just get one that isn't broken.

I remember when I got a new washing machine last year. Brand new and had a big leak from inside the machine. They offered to fix it and i said no - you're not tearing apart a brand new machine. Had a new one the next day and that one removed. Same thing with my TV 10 years ago. Anything could get messed up in the process of "repair" that can fail right outside of warranty. "A can of worms".

If you go in there and you fuck something up, they will know. I'll always take the replacement until the warranty exits.

So I have Rigs and am trying to compile a short list of games worth buying from here. Black Friday or whatever my excuse to buy more games will be. Right now on my list is:

Rez
Thumper
Bound
Batman
Battlezone (I liked the demo! But not at full price)

Anything else come recommended? I'm not fucking with Driveclub (I know better) or EVE (I know better). Anything else *really good*?

Thanks in advance.

Also, as a Vive and Rift owner, PSVR is an amazing value. I haven't tried any games with my motion controllers to see how responsive they are, but my biggest concern was the headset tracking and I've had 0 issues.

I'm reading a lot about VR motion sickness, but no one's mentioned anti-nauseants. Before my first session, I'll probably pick up a bunch of travel sickness pills. I think the ginger ones can be popped like candy, and they won't make you drowsy if that's a problem you have with other pills. I've never gotten motion sickness, so I suspect I'll be fine, but no way am I going to roll over and slowly let my brain acclimatise to VR should the need arise. I'll aggressively treat the nausea so I can keep having fun while my brain catches up.

With respect, FUCK THIS.

Don't buy or support games that fail to respect the health of the player. Do not buy Windlands. Do not buy Driveclub. Do not support products so poorly thought out that motion sickness is an eventuality. Do not put yourself in a position to have to take pharmaceuticals in order to play fuckin videogames. That's not how it's supposed to work.

kaiyo

Don't buy or support games that fail to respect the health of the player. Do not buy Windlands. Do not buy Driveclub. Do not support products so poorly thought out that motion sickness is an eventuality. Do not put yourself in a position to have to take pharmaceuticals in order to play fuckin videogames. That's not how it's supposed to work.

People have different tolerance. I got nauseated playing Robinson for like 15 mins. lol

jrcbandit

So I have Rigs and am trying to compile a short list of games worth buying from here. Black Friday or whatever my excuse to buy more games will be. Right now on my list is:

Rez
Thumper
Bound
Batman

Anything else come recommended? I'm not fucking with Driveclub (I know better) or EVE (I know better). Anything else *really good*?

Thanks in advance.

Also, as a Vive and Rift owner, PSVR is an amazing value. I haven't tried any games with my motion controllers to see how responsive they are, but my biggest concern was the headset tracking and I've had 0 issues.

With respect, FUCK THIS.

Lol, they have comfort turning mode in Windlands, with that mode you should never get sick. Also, if you want to play with full/smooth turning that can lead to motion sickness, the easiest way to play without nausea is to buy $6-10 bracelets that you wear over acupuncture points. They do work, I used it to play Robinson the Journey with full/smooth turning without any issues.

As for the Amazon product I linked, I did get it for $9 direct from Amazon on Nov 8. I guess they sold out from VR purchasers.

btrboyev

I saw huge improvements in VR worlds, and the abutting is completely gone in batman, but I don't see any improvement in rush of blood. Did it get patched?

:) No offense but I haven't gotten motion sick with any VR games. The only game that made me feel a little weird at first was RIGS because the default controls for turning your mech's body was mapped to head movement, once I mapped it to analogue controls it was smooth sailing for me. People will always have different tolerance to VR games. I don't think it's fair to tell someone not to buy these games as they may be unaffected just like me. At the very least, he should try out the demos for these games on the VR demo disc.

I don't get motion sickness at all even when I'm doing loops like crazy in Eve or driving at 150mph in Driveclub :p

People have different tolerance. I got nauseated playing Robinson for like 15 mins. lol

Good point. Unfortunately, there are no refunds for Playstation games like I can get with Steam.

Windlands is the only game I've ever played that actually made me physically ill for several hours. I refunded that shit on Steam and learned the lesson.

I just don't want to see people burn $30-$60 on something that they actually can't play. Not only does it burn their money, but it gives VR a bad name in the process.

But you're right, even some lighter experiences can be a problem for gamers. I wouldn't make the statement if Sony respected gamers enough to offer proper refunds.

Lol, they have comfort turning mode in Windlands, with that mode you should never get sick. Also, if you want to play with full/smooth turning that can lead to motion sickness, the easiest way to play without nausea is to buy $6-10 bracelets that you wear over acupuncture points. They do work, I used it to play Robinson the Journey with full/smooth turning without any issues.

As for the Amazon product I linked, I did get it for $9 direct from Amazon on Nov 8. I guess they sold out from VR purchasers.

That's interesting. Still, I have yet to come across the game that was worth the risk. Motion sickness is straight up awful. And really, there is no shortage of games that don't ask you to exchange play for health. Alas, if it works for some it's good to recommend. Especially for those who have made an investment in a game they can't get a refund for.

Motooni

Just bought Tethered. Holy crap, it might be my favourite VR game. Just feels really complex and deep whilst being rewarding in the first few minutes.

Sony definitely needs an easy refund policy on their VR games. If they aren't gonna do that they should have timed trials for each of them that let you play them for like an hour to see if your body can tolerate them.

Just bought Tethered. Holy crap, it might be my favourite VR game. Just feels really complex and deep whilst being rewarding in the first few minutes.

orly? I'll put it on my list. any other testimonials on behalf of Tethered?

Sony definitely needs an easy refund policy on their VR games. If they aren't gonna do that they should have timed trials for each of them that let you play them for like an hour to see if your body can tolerate them.

Yes, absolutely. Unless something is highly rated and pretty well spoken of here on GAF (and free of multiple reports of nausea), I won't even entertain buying it. One bad experience was enough for me for a lifetime.

Hopefully it won't be long before we see proper refund policies. Valve has a pretty good system right now. < 2 hours played = full refund if requested.

It's needed. VR is not like normal gaming. If you physically can't play a game, keeping your money feels like theft. Mandatory demo (representative of actual gameplay) or full refunds based on time played. It really must happen.

If you like creative experiences and just drawing around to chill out to sights and sound, you need to pick up Harmonix VR (for the Easel mode, ignore the other modes). Try the PSVR demo disc to get a glimps of it.

Still my standout PSVR experience and the most impressive thing for all the people I showed it to.

oooo I like chill. tyvm. added to my list along with Robinson: The Journey.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

Rez
Thumper
Bound
Batman

Thanks in advance.

If you like creative experiences and just drawing around to chill out to sights and sound, you need to pick up Harmonix VR (for the Easel mode, ignore the other modes). Try the PSVR demo disc to get a glimpse of it.

Still my standout PSVR experience and the most impressive thing for all the people I showed it to.

Aske

Dreams-Visions, you're dead right about PSN refunds; especially since no one knows how they'll be affected by a VR game prior to playing it. Demos aren't sufficient, and given that we can't resell PSN games, it's far from unreasonable to expect something like a 3 hour of cumulative gameplay refund window for full game purchases. As for VR induced nausea, if it happens, it'll be a "me" thing rather than an objective issue with the games; so I'm fine with popping pills in order to adapt.

Glad the acupuncture bracelets are working for you jrcbandit! I'm more of a western medicine fan, so if necessary I'll start with ginger pills and work up the medication ladder. Maybe slap on some of those slow release anti-nauseant patches...

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
With respect, FUCK THIS.

Ok so first off, the vast majority of the "pharmaceuticals" you're referring to are pretty much on par with vitamins in a sense that they have no impact on your health and are inexpensive.

Second, and this is the bigger one, nausea has been a massive issue in the world of VR that they have been trying to figure out how to reduce. They've made great strides in reducing how often it happens, but it still has a very long way to go. Some people straight up will never be able to play VR in its current state due to this. If you are very sensitive to motion sickness this will likely hit you no matter what the game. I would be concerned for RE7, because movement in VR games has been a major issue and at e3 there were very widespread reports of nausea, so we'll have to see how they do in solving the issue.

Motooni

Robinson: The Journey's definitely on my radar, but it seems made for move support so I'll wait for that. It also has reports of being high on the quease scale, so I'll consider that when starting it.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
oooo I like chill. tyvm. added to my list along with Robinson: The Journey.

It was the first time in years where I basically just pulled out the virtual pen to doodle and submerse myself in visuals and sounds for hours. Spend 10 hours or so in my first week just doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom