• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has there been any more luck or progress in how to completely eliminate drift? I've been swamped for the last few weeks so my PSVR is sitting gathering dust, but when I can finally return, I'd like to eliminate any and all drift I was experiencing prior.

I previously had fairly bad drift within the headset and move controllers were bad too in ROB, I've made the following changes and recent plays have been pretty flawless.

1) Moved my camera above my TV, was previously on cabinet and constantly being knocked and moved which meant the process of setting back up each time.

2) Moved closer! Biggest help really, was previously close to 3 meters away around 1-2ft, brought a kitchen chair in for VR play and now sit about 4-5 ft from camera.

3) Calibrated Move controllers on PS3, was mentioned in this threat that the PS4 calibration just focuses on the light, the PS3 calibration does the gyroscopes after doing that last night the Move controller drift on ROB was minimal.

4) Shut the machine down after playing rather than rest mode.

Grinchy

Banned
I finally tried out that free Call of Duty thing and it was pretty damn cool. Much better than I expected. It's short, but it was so fun zipping around, doing barrel rolls, flying upside-down and shooting enemies, ect.

I was looking for the IPD adjustment but couldn't find it under the options menus. Is it gone, or does it take place automatically or something? When giving the headset to someone else, do you put them in as a guest or not bother?

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I eventually tried the platform mini game inside The Playroom VR, and I'm honestly SHOCKED at how good it is.
It's simply insane: you're truly there, right in the middle of the action, and the level is all around you with a sense of physical presence that feels almost real.
Seriously, I know you guys said it was good, but I was not expecting something so mindblowing.
If Sony is not turning that super fun segment into a full fledged game Yoshida and Company are completely out of their minds.

Same. I would love full retail game based on this. It's absolutely great.

Makes me with Nintendo would do a Mario 3d world in VR.

Joystick

Don't buy or support games that fail to respect the health of the player. Do not buy Windlands. Do not buy Driveclub. Do not support products so poorly thought out that motion sickness is an eventuality.

To be fair Evo didn't just shift-click and delete a bunch of lights and assets and drop a second camera in DRIVECLUB to port it to PSVR. It's a top quality experience and they considered player comfort and nausea by adjusting the cameras to limit movement as far as practical for a driving game.

People were asking for thorough impressions of Robinson, so here's my review: https://psvr-reviews.com/2016/11/14/robinson-the-journey/

Am I right in thinking Robinson is the last "big" VR release until Resident Evil? I know there's a thread with all the release dates but it seems there are a lot of titles with a TBC 2016 date - I imagine they'll get delayed?

Yeah I think you could be right in terms of big games, can't say there are any that are on my radar except RE7, the thing is even though that is the case I still have no buyers remorse over this. Everytime I strap it on i'm well above the normal enjoyment standard TV games give me, I'm sure once I hook up my Pro on the 26th it will be ever better.

somme

With respect, FUCK THIS.

Don't buy or support games that fail to respect the health of the player. Do not buy Windlands. Do not buy Driveclub. Do not support products so poorly thought out that motion sickness is an eventuality. Do not put yourself in a position to have to take pharmaceuticals in order to play fuckin videogames. That's not how it's supposed to work.

I don't own DC so can't speak to that but Windlands has a bunch of comfort settings and says before it starts that it's a full motion title. If you don't have VR legs yet you should stop as soon as you feel nauseated. The majority of people do aclimatise. By the time Windlands came out I didn't feel sick from VR at all anymore.

Are they not meant to make games like that because some people feel sick? That's not fair on the rest of us.

SToRM

A full version of the Robots Rescue demo would be a day 1 buy for me. One of the best VR experiences so far.
Have only read good things about Eagle Flight. In DRIVECLUBs defence, although it's graphically not the best game, it is certainly still a great game and I prefer it to the plain version with all the graphical bells and whistles. The immersion of racing is just too good to pass up.
I couldn't get into the normal version of Driveclub, but the VR version is really good. Gameplay-wise the cars control just the way I like it. This game somehow gives me flashbacks to PGR3 on the 360, which has been a favorite for a long time for me. The feeling when powering out of a corner with a well controlled drift is just very satisfying.

panda-zebra

Imported Trackmania Turbo from Amazon US for £16 as it's a good bit cheaper than over here in UK.

Check my eBay search just now and there's a new UK copy for £15 delivered with best offer option as well /o\ Not even received the US copy yet, d'oh!

Mendrox

People were asking for thorough impressions of Robinson, so here's my review: https://psvr-reviews.com/2016/11/14/robinson-the-journey/

Am I right in thinking Robinson is the last "big" VR release until Resident Evil? I know there's a thread with all the release dates but it seems there are a lot of titles with a TBC 2016 date - I imagine they'll get delayed?

To be honest, there are still too many games that I want to buy and just didn't till now lol. I am fine with that.

Mendrox

With respect, FUCK THIS.

Don't buy or support games that fail to respect the health of the player. Do not buy Windlands. Do not buy Driveclub. Do not support products so poorly thought out that motion sickness is an eventuality. Do not put yourself in a position to have to take pharmaceuticals in order to play fuckin videogames. That's not how it's supposed to work.

Ehh.... no. Windlands has settings for that and Driveclub too. Don't put everyone in one pot and think that everyone has problems with these games. I only get that with Driveclub when I crash into something which should be normal of course like in real life.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Pleasantly surprised by the Call of Duty free thing. For some reason I assumed it was an on-rails VR film for some reason, so was nice to see it was an actual game. Lasted a great deal longer than the EVE demo haha

panda-zebra

Ehh.... no. Windlands has settings for that and Driveclub too. Don't put everyone in one pot and think that everyone has problems with these games. I only get that with Driveclub when I crash into something which should be normal of course like in real life.

I only had one iffy moment really in many, many hours of DC:VR so far and I somehow managed to flip the car, the wheel went out of my hands, and I tried to cover my face and double-punched the headset lol

WildZero

Looks like The Martian VR experience is out tomorrow for $19.99.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidewalt/2016/11/14/fox-releases-the-martian-vr-experience/#68bfe51875a8

The Martian VR Experience debuted at the 2016 Consumer Electronics Show, was accepted into the New Frontier Program at the Sundance Film Festival and received the Cannes Silver Lion in Digital Craft as well as the Association of Independent Commercial Producers (AICP) Next VR Award. It will be available on November 15 on the PSVR and HTC Vive for $19.99.

I was expecting this to be free, is it an actual game?

I only had one iffy moment really in many, many hours of DC:VR so far and I somehow managed to flip the car, the wheel went out of my hands, and I tried to cover my face and double-punched the headset lol

I wouldn't have before; but i attributed to the "realness quotient" of PSVR worlds upping but I kept thinking I can pop my moves down on the table. Expect there was nothing there. It constantly amuses.

Maligna

Banned
Read my earlier posts on the previous page about HDCP

Audio cutouts are a part of that problem.

Test the solution and report back.

You mean this?

The last option is HDCP, change it to 1.4 from auto and confirm

I can try that, but I have no idea what HDCP is. Does changing it from auto to 1.4 hinder my console/gaming experience in any way?

Smidget

Got my PS4 Pro all hooked up and also reporting some black outs. Had no issues at all with OG PS4. Strange. Hopefully an update will fix. Otherwise it does seem much cleaner overall. Played VR Worlds and VR Playroom. Also played Eagle Flight but didn't play on OG PS4.

panda-zebra

I wouldn't have before; but i attributed to the "realness quotient" of PSVR worlds upping but I kept thinking I can pop my moves down on the table. Expect there was nothing there. It constantly amuses.

Don't break them, they're not cheap to replace if you can even find them :)

I have a wheel with flippers to change gears, but mostly play with the game set to automatic anyway, and have never even taken the gear stick that came with the wheel out of its box... but I have to admit to reaching for the virtual gear stick in Driveclub on at least 3 occasions.

If that's not immersion...

I can try that, but I have no idea what HDCP is. Does changing it from auto to 1.4 hinder my console/gaming experience in any way?

It's DRM for video content, Netflix etc.

Got my PS4 Pro all hooked up and also reporting some black outs. Had no issues at all with OG PS4. Strange. Hopefully an update will fix. Otherwise it does seem much cleaner overall. Played VR Worlds and VR Playroom. Also played Eagle Flight but didn't play on OG PS4.

You picked the best two for displaying the difference Pro can make. EF is just as nice on the OG, no Pro benefits (worst IQ in EF seems to be those naff 360 degree videos in the story cutscenes - so blurry).

Since I've upgrade to Pro, I'm getting a fair old bit of drift in VR. Worst offender is Trackmania Turbo. Sometimes at the start of a race the screen is WAY off, even set at like about a 35 degree angle, but then corrects itself straight away.

Never any issues on OG PS4...

I don't own DC so can't speak to that but Windlands has a bunch of comfort settings and says before it starts that it's a full motion title. If you don't have VR legs yet you should stop as soon as you feel nauseated. The majority of people do aclimatise. By the time Windlands came out I didn't feel sick from VR at all anymore.

Are they not meant to make games like that because some people feel sick? That's not fair on the rest of us.

I guess it's best not to buy digital VR games for this reason. I bought EVE and Here They Lie. The former purchase I regret because the game just didn't appeal to me much but the latter can cause some motion sickness. With digital you're stuck with it despite you being unable to play it due to nausea. At least with a physical copy I can quickly try to recoup some money back with a trade in.

Besides that Gamers Club and Amazon Prime discounts really trump the convenience of not having to worry about switching disks and paying full retail price.

You mean this?

DRM over HDMI.

If the handshake breaks between the PS4 and the end of chain (TV, monitor), it can cause issues. Black screen, white flashes, red lines, audio cutting in and out, etc.

While primarily for video, HDCP is active all the time. I can't record gameplay externally without disabling HDCP entirely or using a splitter to strip HDCP

No issues on OG, issues on pro.

The 1.4 fix wound up knocking it down to once every few hours of play so far where before it was happening every few minutes with audio cutouts constantly.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=224304003

Try and report back.

Maligna

Banned
DRM over HDMI.

If the handshake breaks between the PS4 and the end of chain (TV, monitor), it can cause issues. Black screen, white flashes, red lines, audio cutting in and out, etc.

While primarily for video, HDCP is active all the time. I can't record gameplay externally without disabling HDCP entirely or using a splitter to strip HDCP

The 1.4 fix wound up knocking it down to once every few hours of play so far where before it was happening every few minutes with audio cutouts constantly.

Try and report back.

This is kind of all greek to me still, since I'm not a streamer or anything.

So to be clear, changing it to 1.4 won't affect my gameplay/visual quality on TV etc?

ultron87

Was just coming in to ask about audio cut off stuff and I see a solution to try. Hooray! Headphones dropping sound was totally harshing my buzz in Rez Area X last night.

This was my first weekend with PSVR and it was pretty fun.

Playroom being pretty awesome was the first surprise to me. I really like the stuff where the VR player is represented in the game world for everyone watching on the screen. I wish some of that stuff had more levels!

Also generally enjoyed Rez, Thumper, Tethered, and Job Simulator. There's other things I want to try, just need to wait a bit

Rubik8

I experienced blackout of the social screen last night while my daughter was playing Tethered. Sound on the TV dropped out occasionally, too. Daughter said the video in the headset flickered briefly, which i assume coincided with the audio drop. Very weird and I hope it's fixed soon. Didn't see this phenomenon in any other game.

bodine1231

My PSVR is almost completely unplayable after upgrading to the pro,Batman especially. I couldn't finish a single scene it was jumping around so much. Even in Rez I felt it constantly moving. Never had this problem on my OG PS4.

So how long do you guys think this 1stGen will last? It's pretty much my biggest hold back right now.
no way to know that...

I'd say a reasonable guess is it will last as long as PS4. So for the next 3 years or so, I don't think Sony will be talking about PS5 anywhere earlier than that.

This is kind of all greek to me still, since I'm not a streamer or anything.

So to be clear, changing it to 1.4 won't affect my gameplay/visual quality on TV etc?
I don't believe so.

I think HDR requires 2.0 but folks have issues with a wide range of TVs and some get the whole 9 with 1.4

YMMV

somme

I don't know enough about tech stuff, but others will. Would the current headset be foward-compatible. Able to run future games, but we'll just see them at the current resolution of the headset?

I imagine PSVR2 will be out around the same time as the PS5. In a way I'd hope they'd be bundled, for those who want both.

TheMan

My PSVR is almost completely unplayable after upgrading to the pro,Batman especially. I couldn't finish a single scene it was jumping around so much. Even in Rez I felt it constantly moving. Never had this problem on my OG PS4.

I had ah inconsistent experience with batman, sometimes it was rock solid, other times really jumpy and that broke immersion hard. Turning off the ps4 and back on again is quite helpful.

Ozorov

Seems like a couple of people had this problem when switching to Pro. But not this problem when going Pro as first console with PSVR.

ElNino

Try and report back.
I was experiencing this Saturday when letting my son try PSVR on the Pro. Glad to hear I'm not the only one and there (hopefully) is a solution to it, although it's disappointing to find out that these issues exist right at launch. I'll try your "fix" tonight.

FeD.nL

Holy crap the Call of Duty Jackall mission thing is incredible. I'd love a full game of this. Graphics are great too.

Really hope Eve gets a Pro patch soon that lets it compete with the Jackall mission in terms of clarity. The CoD demo is much more pleasant on the eyes for me. Though Eve is still a blast to play.

Also looking forward to what DICE/Criterion have cooked up for the Star Wars VR mission in terms of graphics.

ffvorax

I don't know enough about tech stuff, but others will. Would the current headset be foward-compatible. Able to run future games, but we'll just see them at the current resolution of the headset?

I imagine PSVR2 will be out around the same time as the PS5. In a way I'd hope they'd be bundled, for those who want both.

These kind of question are too early... :)

That said, to my point of view the next VR will use different tracking tech (I hope a better one, in particular for the move controllers), so we will need to buy the new one for the games.

somme

These kind of question are too early... :)

That said, to my point of view the next VR will use different tracking tech (I hope a better one, in particular for the move controllers), so we will need to buy the new one for the games.

I did think it was a tad early. :D

The Move tracking works really well for me. Especially on Until Dawn and definitely on Pixel Gear.

Just got a Pro/PSVR

What are the must have games that gives me that roller coaster like experience? I played Drive Club VR, and was scared that I would get extreme motion sickness due to how many people reported that, but I didn't feel any sickness whatsoever. I dunno, I feel like I'm immune to it. I love that butterflies in the stomach feeling, so which games will give me that?

Shoeless

Just got a Pro/PSVR

What are the must have games that gives me that roller coaster like experience? I played Drive Club VR, and was scared that I would get extreme motion sickness due to how many people reported that, but I didn't feel any sickness whatsoever. I dunno, I feel like I'm immune to it. I love that butterflies in the stomach feeling, so which games will give me that?

Until Dawn: Rush of Blood. It's literally a roller coaster. Have fun.

somme

Just got a Pro/PSVR

Until Dawn: Rush of Blood is an on-the-rails rollercoaster shooter. Thumper is intense too.

I haven't had a single issue with the Pro and PSVR in playing the demo disc games/experiences, Call of Duty VR demo, the Playroom, and full versions of Rush of Blood and VR Worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom