• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sony definitely needs an easy refund policy on their VR games. If they aren't gonna do that they should have timed trials for each of them that let you play them for like an hour to see if your body can tolerate them.

Yup. 100% agree. I'm like you and don't get any VR sickness, even in really bad glitches. Recommendations when it comes to nausea means little to nothing, I have read enough posts from people that there is no easy solution to prevent people from getting VR sickness as they all experience it differently due to different things as well as some adapt and some don't. Players should really be aware of what it is that can screw them over thus it is vital for people to be able to experience different modes, settings and experiences so they can find out what works and what doesn't for them.

Ideally in the long run each game will feature a selection of standardised options for the type of game so if people want a racing game but know they can only handle track locked cameras that option is there but for people that can handle cockpit with no comfort settings (devs that includes flipping the cars) we get that as well.

Maligna

Banned
I have a Gear VR that gave me motion sickness when I first got it. It wore off and by the time I got my PSVR. The only game I had slight sickness was Eve Valkyrie and thats only if I was doing to many loops and turns. Even that wore off in a week.

Depends on the person. Personally I feel no motion sickness from any game I've tried anymore. Took about a week of playing for that to happen.

Darknight

So I got a PSpro and PSVR but so far the demos and Pixel Gear and things look very blocky. Maybe the free demos didnt push the system but there is no reason full games looking this way. Granted I havent played a lot at the but little disappointing so far.

I will go back to play some more. Just bought Thumper, Oh my genesis and REZ. Really hope these look better.

So I got a PSpro and PSVR but so far the demos and Pixel Gear and things look very blocky. Maybe the free demos didnt push the system but there is no reason full games looking this way. Granted I havent played a lot at the but little disappointing so far.

I will go back to play some more. Just bought Thumper, Oh my genesis and REZ. Really hope these look better.

Demos weren't updated for Pro, so what you are seeing is base PS4 performance.

atomsk

Party Pooper
finished up getting the all the Gold medals in Trackmania VR.

bums me out that only 14 people in NJ have played it, but it's cool being #1

audio kept dropping out though, video only dropped once (on the Pro)

Anyone else tried turning HDCP from Auto to 1.4 in safe mode to get the black screen, flash, lines, audio issues resolved?

Curious to hear if anyone else has tried it.

webhad19

Neo Member
Are we expecting any PSVR sales for Black Friday? $700 plus tax in Canada for the bundle is just way too much.

PSVR came out a month ago. Hardware usually takes at least a year of being out before it's on sale for Black Friday (slim consoles excluded) so I would be flabbergasted to see a deal for PSVR. That being said, the PS Camera is $29.00 at Best Buy, and you may have luck finding some move controllers on sale.

PSVR came out a month ago. Hardware usually takes at least a year of being out before it's on sale for Black Friday (slim consoles excluded) so I would be flabbergasted to see a deal for PSVR. That being said, the PS Camera is $29.00 at Best Buy, and you may have luck finding some move controllers on sale.

The camera is $75 at Best Buy in Canada, unfortunately. And the Move controller 2-pack is $130 lol. What a fuckin' ripoff.

Maligna

Banned
Okay having some problems with my PSVR now that I have a PS4 PRO.

My audio in my headphones is cutting out completely. I try plugging and unplugging them, using different ones. Nothing works. And then about 5 minutes later, the audio will come back in.

God damn it... anyone have this issue/have a fix?

ViolentP

Okay having some problems with my PSVR now that I have a PS4 PRO.

My audio in my headphones is cutting out completely. I try plugging and unplugging them, using different ones. Nothing works. And then about 5 minutes later, the audio will come back in.

God damn it... anyone have this issue/have a fix?

Intermittent audio cutoffs, right? Same here. Using gold wireless headset.

Good point. Unfortunately, there are no refunds for Playstation games like I can get with Steam.

Windlands is the only game I've ever played that actually made me physically ill for several hours. I refunded that shit on Steam and learned the lesson.

I just don't want to see people burn $30-$60 on something that they actually can't play. Not only does it burn their money, but it gives VR a bad name in the process.

But you're right, even some lighter experiences can be a problem for gamers. I wouldn't make the statement if Sony respected gamers enough to offer proper refunds.

That's interesting. Still, I have yet to come across the game that was worth the risk. Motion sickness is straight up awful. And really, there is no shortage of games that don't ask you to exchange play for health. Alas, if it works for some it's good to recommend. Especially for those who have made an investment in a game they can't get a refund for.

I was getting a little nauseous from sports bar. Also, the game never worked properly for me. It was the only PSVR game to give me real problems. After 3 weeks, I contacted Sony. It took them 3-5 days, but they refunded me. The solution is definitely demos that let you play for a limited time. 30 min is plenty, I think, to determine if the game is both fun, and a vomit-inducer. Sony would save themselves a lot of headache by implementing this.

I played thw Thumper demo in bestbuy and was extremely dissapointed. It was only a big screen you look left and right its all black. Is this something they did for comfort or is this the game? Then there was the game itself very boring not my thing. Eve and battlezone were better.

MoonGred

After hearing everyone rave about how good Eagle Flight was I decided to take the plunge and get it over Rez.
While it was fun for a good 30 minutes it wore off quickly after that. Not sure what I was expecting but there just isn't that much variety, and I don't really care about the multiplayer.

Fack. Can't seem to get over queasiness while playing rigs. Both control modes make me feel really queasy and almost nausea-inducing. This would be my 5th time trying the game and it hasn't seem to have gotten much better. That with a two week break since my last attempt, and playing psvr in between. Any tips?

I played thw Thumper demo in bestbuy and was extremely dissapointed. It was only a big screen you look left and right its all black. Is this something they did for comfort or is this the game? Then there was the game itself very boring not my thing. Eve and battlezone were better.

Black screen? Lol. You didn't activate VR mode. VR mode = the whole space.

spwolf

i recommend VR Worlds... not only it has been updated for Pro, it has wide variety of games you can show to family and friends

ViolentP

Yup.

Happened with my elites and the included ear buds, both.

Is this something they can fix with a software update? I sure hope so.

Had no problems with my OG PS4.

I'm pretty confident this will be fixed in either an update to the Pro or the PSVR. Just gotta hang tight for a bit.

I've got 20 bucks in my PSN account from my Sports Bar refund, and I can't decide on whether to go for Headmaster PSVR or pro-enchanted Ratchet and Clank. FWIW, I haven't played a R&C game since the first PS3 game and didn't think the game was that fun back then. This new game looks stunning, but Sony platformers haven't ever wowed me. Is this something different? Headmaster demo was fantastic, but I worry about the long term replay. Is this a good VR game or should I just save the credit for something down the line?

Edit - forgot about Bound. Between Bound and Headmaster, which is the pick here. Heard Bound looks incredible but play wise, not so much.

ViolentP

How would it have gotten this far though? Did they not catch it while developing the PRO?
I wouldn't know. For all we do know, it could be an incompatibility with some other application's version which could cause inconsistency in the testing. You're the first person I've met with the issue so I don't think it's a universal problem.

hawk2025

I'm very much enjoying Robinson on the Pro, despite recognizing its limitations. It's a pretty simple game, sure, but I just grabbed a baseball hat and put it on my mini T-rex inside a VR world, and that's awesome :)

So, when does the honeymoon period with this device end?

TheBear

How does the level structure work in windlands? I've opened the 3 gates but I keep forgetting which direction I need to go to find the next key. Are the gates all different levels? It's hard to tell the difference as everything looks the sam

I'm very much enjoying Robinson on the Pro, despite recognizing its limitations. It's a pretty simple game, sure, but I just grabbed a baseball hat and put it on my mini T-rex inside a VR world, and that's awesome :)

So, when does the honeymoon period with this device end?

Never. It extends with each new game you buy, e.g. Eagle Flight.

Weird, I find the tracking in Rush of Blood to be pretty great. Are you guys booting out of standby? I personally find that all VR games have issues when doing that. I do a full shutdown every time now if I know I'm playing VR later.

Other than that, I dunno what the issue might be. I have the camera slightly higher than my head and then angled downward when I play it.

Yeah I was although I have started to shut right down now.

Also read on here someone recommending calibrating the move controllers on a PS3 as it does the full gyroscope setup. Did that and played through two levels of ROB and had no real issues with it, now working through Psychotic mode

Piichan

Banned
I just Impulse bought Eagle Flight after cancelling my Driveclub VR order. Really liked the Driveclub demo, but was down on the visuals. I was hoping PS4 Pro (which I got last week) would improve the visuals, but reports say it doesn't so I'll give it a pass for now.

I hope I made the right choice.

I just Impulse bought Eagle Flight after cancelling my Driveclub VR order. Really liked the Driveclub demo, but was down on the visuals. I was hoping PS4 Pro (which I got last week) would improve the visuals, but reports say it doesn't so I'll give it a pass for now.

Have only read good things about Eagle Flight. In DRIVECLUBs defence, although it's graphically not the best game, it is certainly still a great game and I prefer it to the plain version with all the graphical bells and whistles. The immersion of racing is just too good to pass up.

Peterthumpa

So guys, got my Pro last Friday.

Disclaimer: I had an Oculus Rift for a few months and sold it simply because the lack of good games was jarring. The only games available that were not "experiences" or just half assed things were The Climb, Chronos and Lucky's Tale.

With the clear Pro graphical advantages, I'm willing to give VR a second try on the PS4 Pro, however...

Which games are really worth up to now? Also, for someone who also tried the Rift and VR on the Pro, are they similar in quality? What about FOV, better, worse?

I'm browsing through the VR section in the PS Store and it seems like there's a good library already (way better than what the Rift had for months).

So, for those with the PSVR and a Pro, are you still enjoying it? Should I wait for better games? What's down on the pipeline?

Demption

I've got 20 bucks in my PSN account from my Sports Bar refund, and I can't decide on whether to go for Headmaster PSVR or pro-enchanted Ratchet and Clank. FWIW, I haven't played a R&C game since the first PS3 game and didn't think the game was that fun back then. This new game looks stunning, but Sony platformers haven't ever wowed me. Is this something different? Headmaster demo was fantastic, but I worry about the long term replay. Is this a good VR game or should I just save the credit for something down the line?

Edit - forgot about Bound. Between Bound and Headmaster, which is the pick here. Heard Bound looks incredible but play wise, not so much.

I would go with Headmaster, it's one of my favourite VR games, having lots of fun with it. It seems to have enough content to justify it's price, unlike many other PSVR games.

I own both games and like them both. I spend way more time in DC however. Initially i was also offput by DC's visuals but that soon faded away by the feeling of 'being there'. Can't go back to regular 2d driveclub after experiencing it in VR.

Aceofspades

Banned
What VR games already patched for PRO? How big is the difference looking at the headset, I mean Playstation VR worlds are plenty sharp on OG PS4, should I expect improvement on that also?

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
I own both games and like them both. I spend way more time in DC however. Initially i was also offput by DC's visuals but that soon faded away by the feeling of 'being there'. Can't go back to regular 2d driveclub after experiencing it in VR.

I feel the same, it's why i was so disappointed by the announcement that Gran Turismo Sport would not have full support for VR, for fuck sake Sony, Gran Turismo Sport is on the damn PSVR box!

ffvorax

So guys, got my Pro last Friday.

Disclaimer: I had an Oculus Rift for a few months and sold it simply because the lack of good games was jarring. The only games available that were not "experiences" or just half assed things were The Climb, Chronos and Lucky's Tale.

With the clear Pro graphical advantages, I'm willing to give VR a second try on the PS4 Pro, however...

Which games are really worth up to now? Also, for someone who also tried the Rift and VR on the Pro, are they similar in quality? What about FOV, better, worse?

I'm browsing through the VR section in the PS Store and it seems like there's a good library already (way better than what the Rift had for months).

So, for those with the PSVR and a Pro, are you still enjoying it? Should I wait for better games? What's down on the pipeline?

Disclaimer: I don't have a PSPRO nor I had other visor before PSVR, but still want to give my hopinion... :)

Batman VR is short but feels like not a simple "experience" but like a little adventure.
Wayvard Sky is a point and click with some enigma to solve, it is short too but feel like a real game too.
Rush of Blood is an on rail horror shooter, fun and longer experience than the previous two!
Rez and Thumber are a must buy, demo available on the store, these also are decent long games.
This from my personal experience, you should also take a look at Rigs, not my genre of games but looks good and if you like multiplayer could be an awesome choice.

El-Suave

I don't go too deep into racing games but for me it's almost the opposite. I keep missing all of the bells and whistles the regular DC game has. The weather, lighting and other graphical effects make up that game's identity for me. I would appreciate DC VR more if I didn't know the base game.

I would go with Headmaster, it's one of my favourite VR games, having lots of fun with it. It seems to have enough content to justify it's price, unlike many other PSVR games.

Thanks! Went with Headmaster and wasn't dissatisfied. My wife started playing and got pretty hooked. Money well spent.

Has there been any more luck or progress in how to completely eliminate drift? I've been swamped for the last few weeks so my PSVR is sitting gathering dust, but when I can finally return, I'd like to eliminate any and all drift I was experiencing prior.

I'm the same way. It's impossible for me to go back to a regular DC after experiencing DCVR. Driving in VR is so much better.

What VR games already patched for PRO? How big is the difference looking at the headset, I mean Playstation VR worlds are plenty sharp on OG PS4, should I expect improvement on that also?

It's a lot sharper. I reviewed the improvement score at about 80-90% PSVR worlds looks so much better on the pro - especially London heist

Intermittent audio cutoffs, right? Same here. Using gold wireless headset.

Yup.

Happened with my elites and the included ear buds, both.

Is this something they can fix with a software update? I sure hope so.

Had no problems with my OG PS4.

I'm pretty confident this will be fixed in either an update to the Pro or the PSVR. Just gotta hang tight for a bit.

How would it have gotten this far though? Did they not catch it while developing the PRO?
Read my earlier posts on the previous page about HDCP

Audio cutouts are a part of that problem.

Test the solution and report back.

Mdk7

I eventually tried the platform mini game inside The Playroom VR, and I'm honestly SHOCKED at how good it is.
It's simply insane: you're truly there, right in the middle of the action, and the level is all around you with a sense of physical presence that feels almost real.
Seriously, I know you guys said it was good, but I was not expecting something so mindblowing.
If Sony is not turning that super fun segment into a full fledged game Yoshida and Company are completely out of their minds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom